• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not as far afield as I thought but none the less...I am still doing the blob-bit. Tis sorry I be.:)

You red-headed scullion!
Finally, I remembered to say; enjoy your various captions and their various pointed purposes.

She inclined her head in that way he was so familiar with that signalled she was contemplating her moves in some complex matter. She did it also when besting all who tried to match her in chess.
As in enemies playing Checkers while she plays Chess?:cool:

‘Oh aye? And what makes you so sure sir? My reign has been a disaster thus far: I have lost our treasury in foreign wars, lost the loyalty of the lords of Saxony, lost my friend and the respect of my Council and now we lose the first major engagement…’ He trailed off, gazing deeply into the goblet and absent-mindedly swirling around its contents.
This bit did set me up to soon expect the worst and I am relieved we have a delay...I trust.<L>

What he had not expected….was the smell. Battle was blood, yes, screams, blood-curdling sounds of fury and agony, but no one had warned him that a dying man no longer exercised control over their bowels and the sheer smell of ordure was turning his stomach.
As all your readers have said in their own words; Realism...well met.

The Earl was a lowborn soldier, used to martial ways and the veteran of many battles but had never quite got used to delivering these sort of tidings
This simple admission...made the scene glow for this reader.
A final bow before the duke shot back: ‘How remiss of me my lady, I forgot to make mention: the king calls for a Grand Tourney in Lambeth…mayhap you will send a champion? Or even don harness and take part in person. I see how much you like the hurly burly of battle…’
Enjoyable word-dance that.

Exasperated now Arncytel of East Anglia snapped, ‘a broadsword the likes of mine denotes a man of high nobility, Harold. Which do you think draws the more attention? An old stooped and dusty greybeard or some glittering lord?’
Forgive me if I indulge humor that your scene created; "Never judge a book by it cover" became but you can judge a cover by it's book.<L> Hopefully, my meaning comes thru better than wayward ramble.:)

The sound of galloping hooves told him the boy had got away, at least, he thought, whilst wishing he was twenty years younger; each thrust and feint was wearing him out…and his assailants were patient.
Heart-breaking.

As if reading his mind, the king answered simply ‘I am not my mother, boy and sometimes a king shows his power by staying his hand-remember that
Always a risk to be noble?
‘And he shall have it my boy-my little Wulfwynn’s betrothal to the Aquitainian prince shall not be sullied!
A little risk before and much more now?

There is finally peace within the realm. Time for war!
:D Sounds about right.:D

Not as far afield as I thought but none the less...I am still doing the blob-bit. Tis sorry I be.:)

Finally, I remembered to say; enjoy your various captions and their various pointed purposes.

As in enemies playing Checkers while she plays Chess?:cool:

This bit did set me up to soon expect the worst and I am relieved we have a delay...I trust.<L>

As all your readers have said in their own words; Realism...well met.

This simple admission...made the scene glow for this reader.

Enjoyable word-dance that.

Forgive me if I indulge humor that your scene created; "Never judge a book by it cover" became but you can judge a cover by it's book.<L> Hopefully, my meaning comes thru better than wayward ramble.:)

Heart-breaking.

Always a risk to be noble?

A little risk before and much more now?

:D Sounds about right.:D
Many thanks for all your comments @markkur, I always appreciate them as they are so well thought out.

Chapter 44, Anglo-Saxon Fyrd, Luneberg Heath, Saxony, 10thDecember 965 AD

‘I tell you sirrah that the spring will not cut it! What in God’s name do I pay you for man! Get out of my sight!’ the Prince shouted angrily as the flap to his pavilion opened and a chastened fleet captain hurried out, face reddening after such a royal dressing down. As he exited he almost ran into the king himself.

‘My lord King-apologies!’ He managed to stammer out before bowing low. Osweald who was only accompanied by two of his Huscarls acknowledged his subject before setting his face grimly and proceeding within- his guards took up station alongside the Prince’s in the frigid German air without.

Eorcenberht did not look up from the maps he was intently perusing at the long desk that stood at the centre of his roomy abode. ‘If you are come to beg me be more reasonable, my lord Earl, then you waste your time,’ he growled.

Osweald went to stand next to his son and put a proprietary hand on the young man’s shoulder. Startled, the prince leapt upright, then, on seeing his loving father rather than Earl Ælfnoth, relaxed and softened. He went to give a bow but was stopped by the king.

‘You are wroth much these days my son…’

‘Forgive me father. Those men of the sea try my patience. Always: “it cannot be done my lord” or, when it can, only after much delay – may they rot in hell!’

Osweald held up a hand ‘peace lad, peace. Come let us sit.’ He motioned for the over-wrought prince to join him on a camp stool by the table. Braziers had been lit, for the weather was bitter and deep snow lay all around. It was a shock to the Fyrd who had never campaigned in such conditions. So far, though, they had held up well.

The king summoned a valet and ordered some warming spiced ale, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the young man who would take his place on the throne. They waited, in silence, until the drinks had been brought and they moved closer to one of the braziers to keep warm. Idly watching their breath misting in the morning air, eventually Osweald broke the silence: ‘mayhap now is the time for you to return home my boy-our fight here is won.’

The prince stared silently ahead then muttered ‘and to what might I return papa? A manor silent and grey, echoing with the memories of her…’

‘You have your eldest son boy-he will surely have need of his father.’

‘Little Os is the new Earl of Hamburg, father-should he not be coming to join us here?’ This said with heavy sarcasm.

‘He has seen only six summers, Eorcenberht-he will be counting the loss of his mother very heavy indeed’ the king tried.

Eorcenberht snorted at that ‘the boy is spoilt papa! He has five siblings and an army of nursemaids and attendants to look after him-does not need me of that I can assure you!’

Osweald looked down. It had been like this since the dread news had reached them in February, that the Duchess of Cornwall had passed whilst about her chamber business; some sort of bursting of her innards-ill tidings indeed – she had only seen twenty-six summers. None who were there might erase the memory of the stricken prince, his blood curdling howl on reading the grievous missive and how he had to be helped from the king’s pavilion by his closest adherents. None could doubt, either, that he was one of those blessed to have found, in marriage, a true love match, and how that blessing had turned to the worst of curses.

But far from immediately returning to Cornwall the young Duke had thrown himself even more wholeheartedly into his duties as Lord Marshall and commander of the van of the army. No amount of cajoling by his father, or admonishments by fellow commander, Earl Ælfnoth, or any of the prince’s friends, could persuade him to depart. Indeed, his martial valour shone even more brightly in the one battle they had fought against the errant Count of Hamburg, Tobe, with many a German sent to the maker by the prince’s fury – the blood spattered snow, eloquent testimony to his grief-maddened battle rage. That was at Luneberg back in April and subsequent sieges of the remaining holdings of Hamburg had brought the war to an end by December.

o4sNlB.png

The Prince (in purple cloak with gold embossed helm) fights at the head of his battle-what a fine figure of a lad :)

oLwLVh.png

Mine!

And still the prince remained…

After an interminable silence Eorcenberht asked quietly ‘papa, did you love mama?’

Osweald looked intently at his handsome young son: ‘in truth son? Your mother and I had an affection for each other but I cannot say it was love. For certes not what I witnessed you had for Affraìc…even my love for Hungifu does not burn as bright as what you had.’

The Prince looked away so his father would not see the tears that started to his eye. ‘I thank you for your honesty papa…’

Osweald pressed on, ‘and yet I was much saddened by Bourguigne’s death from Typhus, son – she had only seen twenty-one summers at that time - so I can only imagine the pain you feel.’ The king pressed a loving hand on his son’s arm, ‘It is no shame to let out such you know? I am your father…’

Head down, the silent shaking of the prince’s shoulders was signal that whatever sadness had been lurking in his heart was finally being set free. For Osweald it was as if they were back in those times when Eorcenberht had been a child, before he was sent away to be Duke of Cornwall, when he might have shinned a knee playing, or some fright had taken hold. Then it was as much king and father who had taken the distraught child in loving parental embrace, as his mother, the gentle Frankish noblewoman, too short for the world.

So it was now and for a long time they sat embracing, the sobs from the young man pitiable and wracking, as if his very soul was aflame in grief.

In the end, spent, the prince, gathered himself together and cuffed the last tears from his eyes. He stood unsteadily and crossed the room to where the pot of spiced ale had been left on a small fire. If he could busy himself in action, mayhap it would lessen the pain he thought, but yet it lurked deep below.

Osweald broke the awkward silence, ‘what mean you to do son?’

Eorcenberht returned with the drinks and said weakly, ‘I cannot return there yet papa. Please do not force me. I could not stand to be in that place where we have loved so…’

‘I would force you nothing lad – I assure you. If you feel your place is here with us, your brothers in arms and your loving father, then so be it.’

The relief that washed over the younger man’s face almost brought tears to Osweald’s own eyes.

‘Thank you, father. When we are done in Hispania then I promise I will return and do what I must.’

Osweald paused then offered, ‘there is a way in which we might strike two birds with the one stone my boy…’

An enquiring look from Eorcenberht.

‘We will need to victual and refresh our stores and supplies over yuletide here in Saxony. I have been assured ample provisioning and succour by those who rule here.’

Osweald sipped his flagon carefully, being careful not to scald himself, ‘mean you Mayor Magnus of Altona and the Bishop of Hamburg, my son’s vassals?’

‘You have it my boy! The very ones! They may name us foreign invaders but, by God, they make the right noises now we are their overlords.’

‘I see. You said we can kill the two birds?’

Osweald looked deeply into his son’s eyes: ‘let us bring your boy over here for the Mass of Christ. That way we can also invest him as Earl and these two songbirds, Magnus and the bishop, can swear fealty to him so also…’

0rAEbS.png

Gimme gimme!

Eorcenberht, for his part, turned away from his father’s gaze and into the flames of the brazier, lost in faraway thoughts for a while. At last he turned back to his father and said, simply, ‘it is a good plan sire. Let Os come and join us – just as soon as the seas are calm, for a sea voyage at this time of year can be perilous…’

Osweald clapped his son on the back ‘well done lad! Well done. I will have the arrangements made – Eadwine has sent us some gold to aid in our war efforts-we can use that to pay for the investiture so as not to burden or annoy the lords of Saxony. Do not worry – if the seas are not calm then he will not come – I will not endanger the child.’

zj8rKm.png

Well every little counts...I think :confused:

‘The Regent is kind’ was the prince’s acknowledgement of such, ‘I will write to thank him.’

The prince felt lighter indeed now and turned to other strategic matters of import for discussion such as where England should look to next in matters of potential conquest or influence. These were items that he was much more comfortable talking on, for those of the heart were women’s ways and still a mystery to him in large part.

‘Osweald rose and returned to the table motioning for his son to join him. ‘See this map of Europa?’ He gestured towards Britannia, ‘Hibernia is ruled in the west by my half sister’s husband, Chieftain of Mumu, but also by the Scots in the north – see?’

‘I do father. And also, any number of independent warlords in the east. It is a fractured Isle ripe for the picking do you not think?’

‘True my boy but I would fain rather leave that unruly, ungovernable place to the Gaels – let them fight over it!’

A nod of assent indicated Eorcenberht was of like mind and had already considered the matter. ‘And what of Caledonia father? We have an Earl who holds two of their richest counties in England’s name...’

Osweald grunted, ‘Ælfnoth of Durham – now also Carrick and Clydesdale – is one of Duchess Æthelræda’s creatures so whilst I am glad those shires are now part of England I will not see us nibbling off parts of the land of the Scot. I have nothing against our Pictish cousins.’

Eorcenberht looked askance at such seeming kindness from his king but continued: ‘Wales then is out, seeing as all that we do not hold is our tributary. Whither then?’

Eyes gleaming brightly Osweald took his dagger from its scabbard and plunged it into the part of the map in which they currently resided saying with ardent fervour: ‘we are here son! The lands from which we issued forth to Britannia so many hundred years past, shall be the lands that we will look to nurture and further expand into!’

Eorcenberht looked on, doubt etched all over his handsome features.

Osweald was having none of it: ‘come lad! Once we have assisted our by-law, Aquitaine in his wars against the infidel in Hispania, I want you to return here and continue what I started all those years ago, for I would wish a new power base for our realm and one that is at the heart of Europa, a new Anglo-Saxon Saxony if you will. What say you?’

sqnIgO.png

A dynastic match to make my heart sing

The prince could not resist his father’s enthusiasm and though he doubted could only smile and take his hand: ‘if you do so wish it sire, then so shall it be.’

And so they talked on and even if the son did wonder, sometimes, at the aforethought of his father’s strategic planning yet were they, in the end, at one: this king and prince, lord of England and Saxony and heir of all besides…

Last edited:
Saxons of the world - unite. Forcibly! o_O

This makes an interesting variation from the usual Plantagenet England-France thing. Will it be reinforcing failure or better the second time around? Either way, it should be interesting.

that he was one of those blessed to have found, in marriage, a true love match, and how that blessing had turned to the worst of curses.
I read years ago that for true love we must be completely vulnerable; that had to be a challenge to tell but you did very well. Never tried writing a scene like that but <imo> It seems natural that a man of war, ever intent on offense and defense, might meet with ? Yes...what you revealed. Well done.

I do feel sorry for Eorcenberht, quite aside from losing his true love he must also struggle to get through life with a name that looks like the Monk had a seizure midway through writing it down but didn't bother to correct it. As I am British and an Engineer this flippancy is the approved method of dealing with the emotional bits at the start without having to directly comment on them.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Onto safer ground the King is getting ambitious, it wasn't that long ago he was bankrupt and the realm racked by Civil War. Now he plots dynastic war in Spain and then Anglo-Saxon Saxony, quite the reversal of fortunes. That said I approver of this plan as, like Prince Unpronounceable, I think better of the King for not plotting against Scotland, acquiring the Highlands just for the sake of it would be foolish, while in terms of Hibernia an English King who steers clear of Ireland is almost always plotting a wise course.

I am assuming that the Hispanic adventure goes well, which is quite a big assumption now I think about it. Fingers crossed though, Anglo-Saxon Saxony would be a interesting variation so I hope Osweald gets a chance to give it a go.

You know, I am starting to rather like Osweald now. To begin with I was less than impressed, but he has grown, and continues to grow.

I do feel sorry for Eorcenberht, quite aside from losing his true love he must also struggle to get through life with a name that looks like the Monk had a seizure midway through writing it down but didn't bother to correct it.
I had a similar thought, but this is so better articulated than any comment on the matter I would have made.

Saxony is a good idea if you can get it. I would check to see if the Welf family exists however, and if any of them are named Karl...

I do feel sorry for Eorcenberht, quite aside from losing his true love he must also struggle to get through life with a name that looks like the Monk had a seizure midway through writing it down but didn't bother to correct it. As I am British and an Engineer this flippancy is the approved method of dealing with the emotional bits at the start without having to directly comment on them.
ja_zps42369c2d.gif
I had a similar thought, but this is so better articulated than any comment on the matter I would have made.
Agree with stnylan. Both funny and a little touching at the same time. Well played, El Pip. :)

I just have to say that the rendering of Eorcenberht sorrow was so well done! I admit that a tear came to mine own eye. Well crafted, sir! And not just the son's anguish, but so too the father's response. You know I like to dabble in such things and I thought you handled it really, really well!

As for the future exploits, I have no issue with it. Lot's of shuttling over the channel and all of that but personal land is all important (as I well know.) If you do it right, you can squeeze the French in a vice after some goodly time. Maybe even find an Emperor's chair. :D

Well, Osweald has done surprisingly well given the poor situation he inherited. Keep it up.

And, I have to agree on Eorcenbehrt. What a mouthful that name is.

Osweald has seemed to avenge himself against all his past flaws. The rebellion, the duchess and now the failed war in Saxony - all made right. He's turned himself into quite the ruler - a credit to him (and his guiding hand).

When I first met Osweald I thought it was going to be a short rough ride. I do have to admit he seems to be getting better and better. Very well done portrayal of Eorcenberht and his sorrows over losing his love.

I am intrigued as to how this Saxony campaign will play out.

Saxons of the world - unite. Forcibly! o_O

This makes an interesting variation from the usual Plantagenet England-France thing. Will it be reinforcing failure or better the second time around? Either way, it should be interesting.
watch this space my friend. The Godhelmings European adventures are going to be a key feature for this particular king going forward.

I read years ago that for true love we must be completely vulnerable; that had to be a challenge to tell but you did very well. Never tried writing a scene like that but <imo> It seems natural that a man of war, ever intent on offense and defense, might meet with ? Yes...what you revealed. Well done.
many thanks for that @markkur :) it makes me very happy when scenes like this land right with you guys. I particularly like the tension between this warrior prince and the conflict of his emotions and that you spotted it!

ja_zps42369c2d.gif

Onto safer ground the King is getting ambitious, it wasn't that long ago he was bankrupt and the realm racked by Civil War. Now he plots dynastic war in Spain and then Anglo-Saxon Saxony, quite the reversal of fortunes. That said I approver of this plan as, like Prince Unpronounceable, I think better of the King for not plotting against Scotland, acquiring the Highlands just for the sake of it would be foolish, while in terms of Hibernia an English King who steers clear of Ireland is almost always plotting a wise course.

I am assuming that the Hispanic adventure goes well, which is quite a big assumption now I think about it. Fingers crossed though, Anglo-Saxon Saxony would be a interesting variation so I hope Osweald gets a chance to give it a go.
many thank my friend. Yes the fortunes are on the up and this is Osweald’s chance to make a play for greatness. He’s going for it! Whether the grand plans work out you will have to see but all I will say is that there are quite a few twists and turns yet in his reighn...

You know, I am starting to rather like Osweald now. To begin with I was less than impressed, but he has grown, and continues to grow.

I’m starting to like the man too! He’s really growing into his role and it looks like I’m managing to convey that well so thanks @stnylan

Saxony is a good idea if you can get it. I would check to see if the Welf family exists however, and if any of them are named Karl...
answer: not that I could see. What is true is that there are quite a few counties I can claim off inferior Brandenburg through de jure so I’m going to go for it.

Agree with stnylan. Both funny and a little touching at the same time. Well played, El Pip. :)
haha good stuff! I did laugh out loud at @El Pip ’s Characterisation of that ridiculous name. Unfortunately he was born whilst I was still playing Old queen Wulfryth so had no opportunity to alter it to something more manageable lol.

I just have to say that the rendering of Eorcenberht sorrow was so well done! I admit that a tear came to mine own eye. Well crafted, sir! And not just the son's anguish, but so too the father's response. You know I like to dabble in such things and I thought you handled it really, really well!

As for the future exploits, I have no issue with it. Lot's of shuttling over the channel and all of that but personal land is all important (as I well know.) If you do it right, you can squeeze the French in a vice after some goodly time. Maybe even find an Emperor's chair. :D
many thanks my friend. I always look to your rather masterful handling of emotional scenes as a lodestone so your praise is very well received indeed. As for the territorial ambitions: yes there is a lot of opportunity in Saxony. Let’s see if Os can bring it to pass.

Well, Osweald has done surprisingly well given the poor situation he inherited. Keep it up.

And, I have to agree on Eorcenbehrt. What a mouthful that name is.
. Haha many thanks @Ascoobis :D

Osweald has seemed to avenge himself against all his past flaws. The rebellion, the duchess and now the failed war in Saxony - all made right. He's turned himself into quite the ruler - a credit to him (and his guiding hand).
many thanks @JabberJock14. He’s doing ok isn’t he? Which should make us all pause for when things are right in this game...

When I first met Osweald I thought it was going to be a short rough ride. I do have to admit he seems to be getting better and better. Very well done portrayal of Eorcenberht and his sorrows over losing his love.

I am intrigued as to how this Saxony campaign will play out.
me too! Watch this space my friend: there are quite a few twists and turns coming ;)

To all: I offer my sincere apologies for it being well over a month since I’ve responded. In truth I have become caught up in a lot of travel and delivery of mental health awareness training around the country. It’s a big job, which is great, but when Home on weekends I’ve just enjoyed spending time with my partner and friends and have rather neglected my writing :confused: I wish I could tell you there is a solution but this training (2 days away a week, 2 weeks out of every 3) goes on until November. At the mo I’m struggling to even keep up with the AARs I love on here let alone write mine. I’ve not abandoned the story though, you’ll be pleased to hear, but beg forebearamce for a longer post rate (probably very 3-4 weeks now I’m afraid)

I will try and get a post up over the next 2 days as it’s a public holiday tomorrow here in the UK and I really want to write this next, momentous scene.

Please bear with me- you’re a fab set of commentatAARs and I’d hate to lose any of you.

No worries. We will be here as and when you have time to write :)

Thought it would have been something like that - it’s important work you are doing and RL must of course come first. Thanks for letting us know. We will of course wait as long as it takes, as such quality as you gives us will always demand attention! :)

To all: I offer my sincere apologies for it being well over a month since I’ve responded. In truth I have become caught up in a lot of travel and delivery of mental health awareness training around the country. It’s a big job, which is great, but when Home on weekends I’ve just enjoyed spending time with my partner and friends and have rather neglected my writing :confused: I wish I could tell you there is a solution but this training (2 days away a week, 2 weeks out of every 3) goes on until November. At the mo I’m struggling to even keep up with the AARs I love on here let alone write mine. I’ve not abandoned the story though, you’ll be pleased to hear, but beg forebearamce for a longer post rate (probably very 3-4 weeks now I’m afraid)

I will try and get a post up over the next 2 days as it’s a public holiday tomorrow here in the UK and I really want to write this next, momentous scene.

Please bear with me- you’re a fab set of commentatAARs and I’d hate to lose any of you.
You call a couple of months a gap? Pah! Amateur. Come back when you've taken a year and half pause between chapters, then we will talk. ;)

No worries. We will be here as and when you have time to write :)
Many thanks

Thought it would have been something like that - it’s important work you are doing and RL must of course come first. Thanks for letting us know. We will of course wait as long as it takes, as such quality as you gives us will always demand attention! :)
Many thanks my friend-really appreciate that

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus. Waiting warmly for the coming update :)
thanks @Specialist290

You call a couple of months a gap? Pah! Amateur. Come back when you've taken a year and half pause between chapters, then we will talk. ;)
hahaha was this a thing for you? This did make me chuckle

Glad you are doing well and busy in a good way.

Make it Great
I am a little annoyed with myself for missing my own deadline-am in a hotel in sleepy Whitehaven determined to write up the next chapter tonight. What I will assure you all is that it will be momentous...