• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In this text,you wrote that Jewish inquisitors summoned golems . How they masked it from usual soldiers ?
P.S.:Are there other non-Christian professionals in Inquisition?Or "golem summoning" in this alternate universe is just old Jewish tradition regardless of beliefs?
P.P.S.:Will we have Chinese dragons on the side of Reich?

Chapter 318: Covert Operations, Part 2

Landsberg am Lech, Imperium-controlled Germania - 10 June 1939, 2:00 PM

1280px-Hauptplatz_Schoener_Turm_Landsberg-1.jpg

Landsberg in approximately 2012

At approximately two past noon, a small band of men dressed in Imperium uniforms stumbled into the town of Landsberg am Lech, which was about sixty-file kilometers west of Munich. Landsberg wasn't really that noteworthy, but Raphael said that he sensed an angel presence somewhere in the town, which made sense if the archangel they were looking for wanted to lie low.

They arrived at the historic center of the town before long. While the center was centuries old (having been built in the 14th century), most of the buildings had been outfitted with modern accessories. Cars sat at the curbs of the well-paved street. They found electric lights on every block. And when they passed by open windows, they either smelled fresh food inside or heard somebody speaking over the radio. Sometimes the radio was tuned to the IBC's channel, where Mussolini frequently gave reports on Patton's and Mountbatten's exploits in Carpathia. Engelbert Dolfuss was surprised the Angeloi allowed him to continue broadcasting in Imperium-controlled territories despite being blatantly pro-Reich.
20161109165920_1.jpg

"Finally," muttered Hans, "After almost two days of walking we have arrived at civilization."

"You should have aimed better, Raphael," grumbled Conrad.

"Oh, you want me to snap you back there?" replied Raphael, preparing to snap his fingers. "I can do that, but I can't bring you back."

"Hey, cut it out, all of you," said Engelbert, "We're here to find the archangel, not blame each other."

"He's right," said Gerhard, "It'll only blow our cover."

Albert said something about a prison in the area, but he spoke so weakly they barely heard him.

"Let's get to an inn and rest up," said Engelbert, "First thing tomorrow we'll start looking for Uriel."

Western Britannian Channel - 12 June 1939, 5:00 PM

Chester Nimitz sighed as the last Imperium transport ship exploded in a brilliant fireball, the surviving crewmen and soldiers jumping overboard in terror. He ordered a few boats sent out to pick up survivors, making a note to himself to return to Hispania as soon as possible. His ships were rapidly filling to capacity, and he could not rescue anymore enemy sailors without putting his crew at risk of a rebellion by the prisoners.

After a few hours, the boats returned, having picked up a couple dozen sailors. He sent a message to Fleet Admiral Horthy in Constantinople, telling him that he had destroyed yet another transport fleet. It was the second time in two days he had destroyed a transport fleet. Apparently the routing of an entire battle fleet did not dissuade Raeder from sending wave after wave of transports through the Channel. While they provided his crew with unheard of opportunities for target practice and experience, he was thoroughly disappointed. Were transport ships the best the Imperium could throw at him?
20161109170221_1.jpg
20161109170741_1.jpg

He then realized that the transport ships may have served a reason other than cannon fodder. They may have been assessing his location and weapons capabilities and reporting back to Berlin. And the lack of a battle fleet to intercept his ships meant that they were likely holding back, building up a large fleet, waiting for the perfect time to strike...

Landsberg am Lech - 13 June 1939, 10:30 AM

"Are you sure he's in there?" said Albert, looking at the gates of the prison.

"When have I ever been wrong?" replied Raphael.

"It's worth a shot," said Engelbert, "Searching the rest of the town turned up nothing, so why not check here?"

The other Inquisitors nodded.

Raphael walked up to the prison guards, who motioned for him to stop.

"Papers, please?" said one guard.

Raphael snapped his fingers and took a few identification cards from his pocket.

"State your name and purpose here," said the second guard.

"Oh, call me Rudolf, after that dead prince," said Raphael, "I'm here to see my cousin Karl, who was sentenced to life for such heinous crimes as kicking puppies."

The guards stared at him. "What?" one of them managed to say.

"Oh, screw this, I can't come up with a good story like Gabriel!" Raphael snapped his fingers, and every guard in the immediate vicinity collapsed on the ground.

"Don't worry, they're just unconscious!" said the archangel as he strolled through the gate.

"Puppies?" said Hans. "Seriously?"

"Don't question him," said Conrad, "He's an archangel."

"Though he most likely did that at some point," said Gerhard.

"Did not!" replied Raphael.

Engelbert sighed.

They walked down the hallways of the prison, following Raphael as he made his way even further into the ranks of the condemned. Guards everywhere lay unconscious on the ground, unaware of the chaos that was boiling beneath the surface. Apparently the Landsberg prison authorities hadn't been fully compliant with the Augustinian Code's humanitarian treatment of prisoners clause or Angelos had abolished that law, for the prison cells were plain filthy, and the prisoners, who wore ragged orange uniforms and looked like they hadn't showered or had a good meal in years, were banging on the bars of their cells, eager to get out while the authorities were incapacitated.

"No, no, no, no," said Raphael, looking at each prisoner for about one second before moving on to the next. "Uriel's not here. Let's try the maximum security section."

They headed downstairs, where they found a large thick vault door. Raphael snapped his fingers, and the door unlocked itself and rolled open.

Inside was a small hallway with six metal doors on each side of it. Each door had no opening except a small food slot and a small window. They were designed to keep whoever was inside in. These cells were reserved for the worst of the worst of the Reich's criminals in south Germania.
Gavrilo-cel.jpg

The prison cells in 2007. Note how they have degraded from lack of maintenance.

There was one door at the end of the corridor, only this one had no window. Raphael pointed at that door. "He's in there," he said, "I can feel his presence emanating from inside."

"What would an archangel be doing in a maximum security prison cell?" said Albert.

"Did he possess an inmate?" said Conrad. "Or did he use his vessel to commit crimes?"

"And why hasn't he broken out yet?" said Gerhard.

"Guys, let's be patient," said Engelbert, "Let's open the door and see who's inside before coming to conclusions. Ready your weapons."

They all drew their pistols and pointed at the door as Raphael snapped his fingers. The lock disengaged, and the door swung open slowly, revealing a small windowless concrete cell with a plain cot, sink, toilet, and electric light. Sitting on the cot was a man who appeared to be in his forties, his back to the door.

Upon hearing the door's opening, he turned around, revealing a face which was in remarkably good condition for a prisoner.

"Oh, after all these years, I finally get visitors!" he exclaimed.

800px-Gavrilo_Princip%2C_cell%2C_headshot.jpg

"Wait a second," said Hans, "Isn't that--"

"No, he couldn't have chosen him!" said Conrad.

Engelbert turned to Raphael. "You never said that Uriel possessed Gediminas Principas himself."

"Didn't need to, it wasn't important," replied Raphael.

---
In this text,you wrote that Jewish inquisitors summoned golems . How they masked it from usual soldiers ?
P.S.:Are there other non-Christian professionals in Inquisition?Or "golem summoning" in this alternate universe is just old Jewish tradition regardless of beliefs?
P.P.S.:Will we have Chinese dragons on the side of Reich?
The golems are disguised as regular soldiers wearing bulletproof gear. Sometimes they're also disguised as tanks and armored vehicles. They also die when they're shot in areas that would be lethal to regular humans. Their bodies are then quickly retrieved or destroyed by Inquisitors or other golems to prevent reverse engineering by the enemy.

There are non-Christian Inquisitors. I previously mentioned Kurdish (technically Muslim but also Zoroastrian and Yazidi, though I never mentioned their faith) Inquisitors in the fight against the demons and the assault on Hell and introduced a few pagan Slavic Inquisitors in the botanical expeditions of the 1830s and 1870s.

No. There will be no real dragons at all in this AAR. They are just too unrealistic to include. Maybe in another AAR I will reconsider...
Hmmmm, maybe Francisco Franco?
Um, I already introduced Franco himself as a character? Best to consider him fully original at this point instead of trying to force analogues on him, as that would unnecessarily limit what we believe him possible of achieving.

Alright. I'm off to see if I can draw a parallel from a historical figure in Wikipedia!

Angelos isn't nigh-genocidal
People said the same of Hitler well into the war. He wants the Reich for Germans, I would not be surprised in the slightest if he would approve some "EU4 culture converting" to get some Lebensraum going in a pinch.

I thought Wilhelm was the one that possessed Gavrilo Princep, or have I mixed them up?
Gavrilo had a Lithuanian cousin.
People said the same of Hitler well into the war. He wants the Reich for Germans, I would not be surprised in the slightest if he would approve some "EU4 culture converting" to get some Lebensraum going in a pinch.
Perhaps, but let's not involve Hitler in this discussion. But I only say Angelos isn't nigh-genocidal because he hasn't done anything genocidal so far, I'm not planning on writing anything regarding that, and it would likely break forum rules.

Reactions:
Perhaps, but let's not involve Hitler in this discussion. But I only say Angelos isn't nigh-genocidal because he hasn't done anything genocidal so far, I'm not planning on writing anything regarding that, and it would likely break forum rules.
Fair enough. It just doesn't seem out of character, but I guess angels never cared much about character anyway. Though what they could be plotting for I have no idea.

Fair enough. It just doesn't seem out of character, but I guess angels never cared much about character anyway. Though what they could be plotting for I have no idea.
Its more like their ideals can't really be characterized in human terms than they don't care about character. Right now they're just involved in a power struggle over leadership for all of the angels, but of course there's probably more to it than the Inquisition can comprehend...

Right now they're just involved in a power struggle over leadership for all of the angels, but of course there's probably more to it than the Inquisition can comprehend...
Why would normal angels even try with Archangels around?

Why would normal angels even try with Archangels around?
First, archangels are lazy and don't really pick a side unless they have good reason to. Second, they got a bit nerfed after Gabriel's spell prevented teleportation and confined them to Earth.

Nimitz's luck can't last... I hope he is heading port right now

Uriel picked him just to make things even more complicated...

You have to admit, that's a bit ridiculous.
What, that I'm not including dragons? Remember that incident back in the 13th century?:p

Reactions:
Well no, the idea that angels, golems, and demons are okay, but dragons aren't. It's your story, but don't feel like you need any reason other than "I don't want to include Dragons" to not include dragons.
Eh, I was joking. Sorry about that. But yeah, dragons are kind of unrealistic right now if they're actual living beings.

Chapter 319: Covert Operations, Part 3

Landsberg am Lech, 13 Jun 1939 - 11:00 AM

Standing before the Inquisitors and Raphael was the most hated man in all of the Reich (besides Angelos, of course). Engelbert almost forgot that Gediminas Principas, the man who gunned down Crown Prince Franz Ferdinand and his wife in cold blood in the streets of Lublin and precipitated the deadliest conflict in human history, was incarcerated in Landsberg Prison. However, after getting over his initial shock he wasn't really surprised that Uriel had taken Gediminas as his vessel. The angels had done far crazier things.

"What, are you guys just going to stare at me?" said Uriel. "I'm just waiting to get out of this wretched--"

"SHUT UP!" shouted Hans, pointing his pistol at the archangel's face. "Why the hell--yes, I did say hell--did you take this monster of a man as your vessel?!"

"Relax, I can explain," said Uriel, "Now, let's get out of here before--"

"No!" replied Albert, also brandishing his gun, "Explanations!"

"He doesn't want to explain," said Conrad, "Because he was the one who did it. Killed the prince."

"Now there, let's not be too hasty--" began Uriel.

"Okay, I feel like I have to vent something as well," said Gerhard, "Why did you kill him?! Why did you kill our prince!"

"I have a good reason for this, but you guys keep interrupting me before I can--"

"Uh, guys," said Raphael, pointing behind them.

Engelbert heard the sound of guns being loaded behind him. All of them slowly turned around, finding that a dozen heavily armed Imperium soldiers had appeared, blocking off their only route of escape. They appeared to have a modified Inquisition insignia just below their Angeloi armbands.

"Oh, come on," said Uriel.

"Sorry for interrupting your little discussion," said the squad commander, "But I'm afraid I have orders to follow. I am Inquisitor Schmidt, of the Munich branch. We need to ask you a few questions. Come with us and cooperate to the best of your ability. The results for not doing otherwise are...how shall I say this...unpleasant."

"Traitors!" said Conrad. "All of you! Selling yourselves out to the Angeloi!"

Schmidt put a bullet through Conrad's left leg, and the Inquisitor went down.

"You're lucky that hit you in the leg," said Schmidt, "If I wanted you dead, you would be dead."

Raphael prepared to snap his fingers.

"Don't even try," said Schmidt, "You want to know the reason your precious archangel was trapped in here for thirty-five years? Extremely strong anti-angel warding, reinforced with several dozen other anti-angelic spells."

"Then how did we open the door?" said Albert.

"Oh, we disabled the spell for a few seconds to make you think there was no spell," said Schmidt, "Now, from now on I will be the one asking the questions."

"No, you won't," said Engelbert, raising his pistol, "We'd rather die here fighting you than answer your questions."

"And if you do escape today, then what?" replied Schmidt. "Save Vienna and Breslau with your reinforced defensive spells? Please. As we speak, combined Inquisition-Imperium forces are assaulting Breslau. Preliminary reports from the front lines indicate that your precious spells are crumbling under the assault."

"No," said Engelbert, "That's not true."

"It is," said Raphael, "I can hear them. The angels in Breslau. They're panicking. There are many casualties. Many are dead, injured, or captured. The rest are disorganized."

20161109171224_1.jpg

"See?" said Schmidt. "Your angel has confirmed my claims. Breslau will fall soon, and Vienna will be next. Now come with me, or else I will have no choice--"

"Shut up," said Engelbert, "Tsetumlen!"

He drew his free hand out of his pocket, where he had used his pocketknife to cut a light gash in his palm in the shape of an easy to draw sigil. He dropped to the floor and pressed his bloody palm against the hard concrete. A bright light and high-pitched noise filled the room for one second, and Schmidt and the enemy soldiers screamed, clutching their heads.

"Run!" shouted Engelbert.

The group rushed past the confused soldiers and ran up the stairs.

As they ran past the rows of condemned inmates, Raphael said, "Hey, their warding doesn't reach up here!"

Before the other Inquisitors or Uriel could say a word, he snapped his fingers, and every single cell door in the prison simultaneously opened. Hundreds of inmates poured out from their cells, swarming the Imperium soldiers as they tried to catch up. None of them tried to attack the Inquisitors.

"Don't worry!" said Raphael. "I got rid of the mental illnesses and other issues that they accumulated during their time in prison, so they'll be fine once things settle down!"

"Really?" said Conrad, limping close behind. "Have you ever thought that there could be criminals who can't be cured that easily?!"

"Eh, I've also locked all but the main gate," said Raphael, "Now let's keep moving!"

They reached the main gate, only to find that several hundred Imperium soldiers had surrounded the facility. Machine gun turrets placed around the entrance swiveled in their direction. Army trucks screeched to a halt, dispensing more soldiers who took up firing positions behind the gate. There were even a few panzers stationed down the road, their main guns pointed straight at them.

"Seriously?" said Raphael. "Is that a challenge?"

He prepared to snap his fingers, but Uriel stopped him.

"Let me handle this," said the other archangel.

Uriel stepped forward, causing the enemy soldiers to nervously brandish their guns at him. "Don't move or we will fire!" screamed a soldier over a megaphone.

"Oh, please do so," said Uriel, outstretching his arms.

The combined Imperium troops let loose with a terrifying display of firepower. The panzers boomed, lobbing several large shells at Uriel. The machine guns came to life, throwing wave after wave of bullets at him. The regular soldiers fired their rifles and frantically reloaded, while others threw grenades.

And as expected, none of that remotely helped them.

None of the rounds or projectiles even reached Uriel, being stopped in midflight a couple meters away from him. The whole area became deathly silent as the Imperium soldiers stared on in shock at what was happening before them. Not a single man moved at all; anybody could hear a pin drop from a mile away. Engelbert was sure none of them even knew what was happening, which probably made things worse. He could feel the sheer terror and fright emanating from the enemy troops, so much it almost overwhelmed him.

"I'm sorry I have to do this," said Uriel, snapping his fingers.

The bullets, rounds, and grenades all flew back to where they came from, and Engelbert closed his eyes as he heard the screams and explosions coming from right in front of him. He didn't want to know what happened to them, those poor souls.

"Hey," said Uriel, "Less moralizing and more running."

"Yeah," said Raphael, "Let's get out of here."

Without saying another word, Engelbert opened his eyes and ran as fast as he could through the devastation, in the general direction of Landsberg's airport.

Vienna, 5 hours later

Engelbert, still rather shocked from his experiences, entered the briefing room and sat down. In attendance were Head Inquisitor Innitzer and several other high-ranking inquisitors.

"Welcome back, Inquisitor Dolfuss," said Innitzer, "I have just received your post-mission report, and I am pleased to hear that the extraction went well."

"You could put it that way," said Engelbert, "There was an unnecessarily high number of casualties."

"I understand your concerns, Inquisitor Dolfuss," said Innitzer, "But remember, we are at war. In a war, we can't save everybody. Somebody has to die."

"But not those soldiers at the prison!" said Engelbert.

"They were enemy combatants," said Innitzer, "What you did was correct."

"You weren't there," said Engelbert, "You didn't see Uriel slaughter all of those soldiers with a single snap of his fingers. You didn't see the devastation that he caused there. You didn't see the results of the firefight from the prison to the airport. You wouldn't know what I did was correct. And I didn't even shoot anybody. I was just...there. There, watching him slaughter everybody. And for what purpose? To save Vienna? I knew that even if I got back here, we wouldn't be able to save Breslau."

"Inquisitor Dolfuss," said Innitzer, "I'm sorry for what you had to go through. But it's time to move forward, just as you did after Inquisitor Niederung's death. I can refer you to Dr. Freud again if you need more time to heal."

"Yes, that would be best."

Innitzer put down his journal. "Good. Now, let's make sure what's happening to Breslau doesn't happen here. I heard that Uriel has finished the first round of spell reinforcements. Tomorrow morning I want you to go check on him and see how he's doing. But for the rest of the day I am ordering you to rest. Dismissed."

Engelbert stood up and saluted. "Yes, sir."

Landsberg am Lech

Inquisitor-Commander Schmidt walked through the wreckage and devastation that was formerly the town square of Landsberg. Many of the stones in the street were melted or missing, forcing his Inquisitors to cast freezing spells to get around. Most of the cars had been thrown several meters away from where they were parked; some of them were found in second-story windows. The rest had been incinerated down to their chassis. Windows were melted. Whole walls and ceilings were gone. Burned bodies lay everywhere in various stages of dismemberment; most of their burns were concentrated on their faces, particularly their eyes. It was as if the war had come to Landsberg, but worse. They had underestimated the power of an archangel, and they had lost their town as a result. The Bureau of War was going to have a field day covering this one up even with the Inquisition providing memory-wiping spells. And the worst thing was that the Inquisition had denied the use of anti-angel weapons here, saying that they were needed on the Illyrian, Carpathian, and Dacian fronts. If he had as much as two anti-angel bullets or just one dagger, he could have solved the problem right then and there. But no, the incompetent bureaucrats had to sacrifice half of a town first.

"Those Vienna traitors," he said, shaking his fist at the sky, "I will make them pay for what they did to this town. Mark my words, I will not be satisfied until the burned remains of Vienna lie at my feet."

Well..... Your fault for siding with an asshole.