• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YojjB1M.png

To Al-Afdal Shahanshah, Vizier of the Caliph

I write to you today in hopes of creating peace between our realms, Ascalon has fallen and so has your vanguard. There is no need for further discord between our realms, and as such we desire to come to a peace agreement between us. Our demands for peace is simple:

· For a period of 10 years, the Fatimid Caliphate will not help or assist in anyway the enemies of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.
· During this period, the Fatimid Caliphate will retract their support for the Muslim cities and states to the North of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.
· The Fatimid Caliphate will recognize our rule over Ascalon.

If these terms are met, then peace will exist between us and no soldier of the kingdom of Jerusalem will break them.

- Baldwin I, king of Jerusalem

To His Holiness Pope Paschal II

Your Holiness, I write to thank you for the speedy resolve which the patriarchal dispute was solved. However I also write to you in hope of aid. Our recent victory at Ascalon was vital for the security of God’s new Kingdom, we suffered very light losses thanks to god. However it is still losses that will be hard to replenish such losses as our cities are empty, and the home of our knights so far away. It is in regards to this that I wish to ask for aid, we drove the Muslims out as god wanted when we took Jerusalem, but that has also left the city empty. We lack Christians here, there is plenty of land, property, wealth and opportunity for second sons, unfortunate bastards, traders and so forth who wish to make a living for themselves.

I wish to ask you to use the authority of your station, which at a time called for a crusade, to now call for men to come here and live in Christ’s holy city, in Jerusalem, so that the kingdom can be filled with the righteous and that the kingdom may prosper and be secure.

To Tancred, Regent of Antioch and Edessa

Your lordship, I write to you as I have heard no words or news in regards to the imprisonment of my cousin, Baldwin II of Edessa. I must express my worry that I hear nothing of his release, or even negotiations. I write to you in hopes of inquiring as to how this may be, and if there are ongoing talks between you and his captore to ensure his release. You are the regent in his place, and as such you are the one responsible for his release as soon as it is possible.

I have a great desire to see my cousin free from his imprisonment and as such I am sending an envoy north to discuss his release with you. It is my hope that when my envoy and you have come to an agreement, about what is a proper price to pay, that you will also send an envoy alongside mine to Mosul to discuss the ransom of my cousin.

To Jikirmish , Atabeg of Mosul

Greetings Atabeg, I write to you to inform you that I am sending an envoy soon to Edessa, and then onwards to you to discuss the ransom of my cousin Baldwin II of Edessa. I wish to ask you to consider his worth so that my envoy and you can reach a compromise and that my cousin may once again walk free in his lands.

To Lord Rorgius of Haifa

My Lord, I am greatly dissatisfied with your lack of response to my calls, the fact that you simply forgot it does not shed any good light on your cause. I will not revoke your title, but I will put a fine upon you of 300 franks as a punishment for your actions. Furthermore then I am happy that you miss your wife for you may soon meet her again, I have decided to give you a new task and as such you will be travelling back to Italy and to France. While you are there you are to seek out knights who will swear their allegiance to me, as well as help defend god and his most holy kingdom against the threat of the Saracens. While you are back in Europe, attempt to find people who are willing to move here for a better future, we need all the Christians we can get if our new kingdom is to survive.

((CaesarCzech, if you want something then come to IRC, PM me here on the forum or most preferably write an IC. I don’t want this to fill up the thread with unneeded posts any more than it already has.))

Eumathius Philocales, Governor of Cyprus and Ambassador for the Emperor of the Romans

I warmly greet a representative of Emperor Alexius, who was a good friend of my uncle, Count Raymond. Many times they worked together and shared common cause, against enemies such as the Saracens and Normans alike. I gladly wish to continue such relations, particularly due to rumours of a worryingly large army committed to Bohemond. Despite this I am unable to swear homage to Emperor Alexius, since these lands were taken by Raymond, and he swore no oaths of fealty, nor any oaths to hand them over to Roman rule. His son Alfonso-Jordan is rightful ruler of these lands, and he is bound by no oaths, unlike most of my fellow pilgrims who have carved out independent realms in the Holy Land. Let not these minor issues sully relations between our realms however, as fellow Christians and men of honour, we should remain friends and allies. In the failed campaign of 1101, my uncle served loyally as commander of the combined army, restoring territory to Emperor Alexius, even though he swore no oaths to. Such was his devotion to allies. However Tripoli and the surrounding region was intended by Raymond to be an independent realm, which would peacefully exist and work with both Emperor Alexius and fellow pilgrims in the Kingdom of Jerusalem, without any questions being asked of oaths and loyalty. Such questions breed doubt and paranoia, and men such as my uncle would do the right thing, oaths or not; his son will be no different I am sure. I hope and pray by the grace of God that we may remain friends and allies to serve the glory of Christ and see the Holy Lands held and protected by righteous men of faith.

-William-Jordan, Count of Cerdanya and Berga, Regent for Alfonso-Jordan in Outremer

phpthumb_generated_thumbnailjpg%2B%281%29.jpg

al-Malik al-Afdal ibn Badr al-Jamali Shahanshah
Vizier of the Caliph

Culture/Religion: Egyptian/Islam (Mustaali Islam)
Family: Sharaf (son)

Biography:

He was born in Acre, the son of Badr al-Jamali, an Armenian mamluk who became Muslim. Badr was vizier for the Fatimids in Cairo from 1074 until his death in 1094, when al-Afdal succeeded him. Caliph Ma'ad al-Mustansir Billah died soon afterwards, and al-Afdal appointed as caliph al-Musta'li, a child, instead of al-Mustali's much older brother Nizar. Nizar revolted and was defeated in 1095; his supporters, led by Hassan-i-Sabah, fled east, where Hassan established the Ismaili community, sometimes erroneously called the Hashshashin, or Assassins.

At this time Fatimid power in Palestine had been reduced by the arrival of the Seljuk Turks. In 1097 he captured Tyre from the Seljuks, and in 1098 he took Jerusalem, expelling its Ortoqid governor Ilghazi in place of a Fatimid. Al-Afdal restored most of Palestine to Fatimid control, at least temporarily.

Al-Afdal misunderstood the Crusaders as Byzantine mercenaries; this misperception caused al-Afdal to conclude that the crusaders would make for natural allies, as each were enemies of the Seljuk Turks. Fatimid overtures for an alliance with the crusaders were rebuffed, and the crusaders continued southward from Antioch to capture Jerusalem from Fatimid control in 1099.

When it became apparent that the Crusaders would not rest until they had control of the city, al-Afdal marched out from Cairo, but was too late to rescue Jerusalem, which fell on July 15, 1099. On August 12, the Crusaders under Godfrey of Bouillon surprised al-Afdal at the Battle of Ascalon and completely defeated him. Al-Afdal would reassert Fatimid control of Ascalon, as the Crusaders did not attempt to retain it, and utilize it as a staging ground for later attacks on the crusader states.

((Sorry that I'm late to the party, but let's get the show on the road then!))

The Adventures of Jawali Saqaqa and Kilij Arslan

Following his victory at Harran, Jikirmish had come to the fore amongst the Turkic rulers of northern Syria and the Jazira. While he had failed in his later offensive, his prestige had been undiminished and he was able to secure a betrothal between his daughter and the young Emir Tutush II. However, the squabbles between the Seljuks of the East gave him little time to appreciate his position. Since 1094 Barkiyarok , son of Malik Shah I, had from Baghdad as Sultan. To end their incessant conflicts, Barkiyarok has been obliged to share this dominion with his brother Mehmed; Mosul was part of the lands allocated to the latter. Attempting to achieve independence, Jikirmish proclaimed that his allegiance was to Barkiyarok alone, but in January 1105 Barkiyarok died. His inheritance briefly passed to his son, Malik Shah II, but the young Sultan was soon killed, and Mehmend inherited the entirety of the realm. Jikirmish thus hastily professed his allegiance to his sole Sultan.

Meanwhile, in Anatolia events of great importance overtook the plans of others in Jazira. When Ibn Danishmend died in early 1106, his dominions were divided between his two sons Ghazi and Sangur. Sangur's youth tempted Kilij Arslan, the Seljuk ruler of Konya, to turn his focus to the east and attack Melitene, which he captured in the autumn of that year. Following this victory, the Seljuk skirted the Christian domain of Edessa and marched on Harran, whose garrison surrendered the city. For their part, Ghazi and the Artuqids decided to see how things developed before responding to this new invasion.

The advance of Kilij Arslan into Jezireh had consequences that many would not have expected. The Sultan of Baghdad had never truly trusted Jikirmish, and following the surrender of Harran began to suspect collusion between the Atabeg and the Anatolian. In the winter of 1106, he officially deprived the Atabeg of Mosul, and granted the lordship of the lands to a certain Jawali Saqaqa. Jawalia led an army against Jikirmish, who was defeated within sight of Mosul and subsequently captured. Yet Jikirmish had been a popular ruler, at the people of Mosul at once proclaimed his son Zenki as Atabeg, while others sent word requested the help of Kilij Arslan; a twist of fate fulfilling Mehmed's suspicions. At the end of the year Jikirmish suddenly died, and Jawali retreated south, leaving the city to Kilij Arslan (supposedly on behalf of Zenki).
[Jikirmish has died, his son proclaimed by the people as Atabeg of Mosul; Melitene, Mosul and Harran are currently occupied by Kilij Arslan, Sultan of Konya; Jawali resides in the Euphrates valley]

al-Qāhirah, ad-Dawlat al-Fāṭimiyya

al-Malik al-Afdal, son of Badr al-Jamali, had inherited de facto rule over the Caliphate after his father's passing in 1094 and the bestowal of the title of Vizier on him. It had been twelve years since he had assumed his benign rule over the Caliphate by the mercy and grace of God. Many things had happened since then: the death of al-Mustansir shortly after his succession forced him to put forward the baby al-Musta'li as Caliph to ensure his authority against the older and more independent Nazir. This had caused him to fight for his survival and eventually triumph with Nazir's imprisonment in 1097. Nonetheless in 1101 the Caliph was to pass and his own son, al-Amir, succeeded. As a young boy he was easy to manipulate and control but now as he grew older so did his desire to rule.

al-Malik al-Afdal was ignorant, he sensed the boy's envy and contempt for him and he tolerated it, after all was the boy not "Allah's chosen"? Nonetheless, if he proved too much a nuisance he could always join his father sooner in Paradise, that much was certain.

The Vizier's concentration was cut short by the arrival of a servant bearing a sealed letter. Casting an eye at the man he grumbled.

"From who?"

"The Crusader, Baldwin."

"Give it to me and await a response."

The servant bowed his head and after glancing through it the Vizier sighed, more with contempt for the wording of it than anything else. He wrote a short response and gave it to the waiting servant before waving him off with is hand.

The quiet was not to last long however, a few moments later one of the Captains of the Guard appeared leaning on one of the pillars.

"The Caliph is asking questions. About Ascalon, about the Crusaders and if there are any correspondences for him to view."

The Vizier grunted, evidently annoyed by it all.

"The boy is foolish, very foolish. You can simply inform him there is nothing to concern him, that he has religious duties to follow through with and that he should leave the administration to abler and older hands. If he still protests, you can emphasize it more so..."

He paused and stroked his beard.

"Replace his guards too. All of them. I want you to handpick all of them, all with guaranteed loyalties. The servants too. In fact, sweep the palace, the city, and clear it of any individuals that could pose a threat to the status quo: I would hate for brash actions to lead to bloodshed."

"Understood. It will be done."

No further response was given as the Captain quietly slipped off to carry out the instructions. The Vizier turned back to face the open courtyard and dazed off into memories of his childhood and the lessons his father had taught him.

320px-Fatimid_flag.svg.png

To Baldwin, the Crusader,

You ask for peace, but you invade. You dictate demands, yet have no authority to do so. You are a foreign usurper, a blood thirsty infidel and your day will come. Whilst I reject your "terms" and demand the return of the Caliphate's fortifications in Ascalon I will grant you respite with a truce for two years.

That is my only offer, you are to take it, or I will not stop until Islam is returned to Yerushelem and you are cast to the seas.

al-Malik al-Afdal ibn Badr al-Jamali Shahanshah
Vizier of the Caliph of All Islam

((Sorry, but I'm resigning due to lack of interest and the whole incorrect age thing with Tutush. However, this was a fun game and I hope that it goes well and lasts long.))

Cairo, Egypt

Mansur Al-Amir was studying the Qu'ran in his chamber, but the Qu'ran itself could not keep him calm. Rumor had spread to Cairo that Asqalan, a city within his Caliphate, had fallen to the hands of the Faranji Nazarenes who've established a petty kingdom in the region of Palestine. Mansur, who already despised his Vizier, was quick to believe these rumors, but the Captain of the Royal Guard, an assistant of the Vizier, told him to remain focused on leading the faithful, and leave the war against the Nazarenes to him. On top of that, Vizier Shahanshah had ordered the Guards protecting him be replaced; handpicked by the Captain, and being loyal only to the Vizier. This infuriated Mansur, and he cursed Shahanshah's name to the Heavens. The Captain also started arresting workers in the Palace, saying they were a threat to Mansur, but Mansur knew those who were being imprisoned were loyal to him and not to his Vizier. Oh, how Mansur hated the Vizier!

The Captain told the young Caliph that his men were scouring the Caliphate of any traitors who may try to harm him. Of course, Mansur knew he would only arrest people who would help him, but the Caliph agreed (begrudgingly), and the Captain left back for Shahanshah's headquarters. The only thing the young Caliph could do, for now, was to make sure the Vizier would not continue to fail him and his Caliphate.

Last edited:
YojjB1M.png

Baldwin chuckled as he saw the letter from the Vizier, he clearly seems to think that he is unbeatable. Baldwin called over a servant and told him to send the Vizier a letter saying he accepted, at least it gave him two years to turn his attention elsewhere. Ascalon needed to be defended, re-manned and repaired, to the north lay multiple cities ripe for the taking. With the minimal losses at Ascalon, it was Baldwin’s hope that this would allow him to take them over in a swift swoop.

To Hugh of Saint Omer, Prince of Galilee

I thank you for the support which you have granted me, and the full force with which you supplied during the recent campaign, a campaign where others failed to show as their duty. As such I grant you the title of Marshal of Jerusalem, a title which I trust you will honour to full expectations. A truce has been reached between us and Egypt for the next two years. As my new marshal your first duty is to secure Ascalon, we have recently conquered it, and while we have a truce then I have no doubt that the Fatimid Vizier will eventually attack it. As such you must repair the defenses of the city, as well as prepare for a siege in two years’ time when the truce is over, even earlier as I don’t trust these Saracens. The Muslims within Ascalon are to be spared, however you are to find the most sympathetic to the Fatimid Caliphate, you are to discover who are the most likely to betray us in the event of a siege, and you are to make a note of them so should it happen then they care be temporarely arrested during a siege to prevent treason. While there you are also to attempt to make friends and loyal subjects of the locals, we have no desire to see traitors within our walls, so if able we must do our best to prevent such things. We do not only rule over Christians, but also Muslims, and as such we must work with the hand which god have dealt us, at least until the Christians arrive and settle so that we are no longer a few, but many in this holy kingdom of ours. Together with you will be 50 knights, 100 turcopoles as well as 250 foot sergeants to defend Ascalon, and to respond to Muslim raider groups should they cross into our Kingdom and harass our people.

- Baldwin I, King of Jerusalem

To the captain of the Venetian fleet

The Muslims within Ascalon will not be harmed, it is a sad state but that is how it must remain, as such you must restrain your men and hold back your anger. You may take the wealth of the Muslims who have already fled the city, whom have abandoned Ascalon has likewise abandoned their wealth and as such I grant it to you as thanks. I pledged to the Doge of Venice that I would be grateful, and thankful for the support which you have granted, and as such I will show my gratitude. Should you, your men and your ships stay and support the kingdom further, then I offer 1500 franks as my gift to you for your services in the siege of Ascalon.

- Baldwin I, King of Jerusalem

A letter arrive to Sis
To the brave Monastras, general of Emperor Alexius. I send you a warm salutations. I too like you served for many years the Empire of the Romans against the barbarous and bloodthirsty hordes of the turks and more. Only ending my service as a general, to save my people from destruction and annihilation in the homelands of the east. All i wish for is for us to be able to build a new homeland where we can prosper and be at peace.

The Empire of the Romans, Emperor Alexius and you general Monastras are not our enemies, and i agree we should not spill blood unnecessarily for we both want the same thing, peace happiness and stability of our people.

I am very happy that you have agreed to give to the Armenian people the city of Sis to rebuilt our homelands, your demands are reasonable for such an agreement, however i must say that is in our consideration that the city of Anazarbus should turn over to us too. If the emperor is so gracefully to do so, we will become his shield against the hordes from east. Its necessary for us to hold the city so we can effectively accomplish such task as well to be able to create a true homeland for us.

If you were to agree to It , magnanimous general Monastras we would be forever in-debt to you personally and consider you one of our greatest friends out there in this terrible world.

Signed
Oshin, Ruler of Lampron, defender of the Armenian People.

((Basically agreeing to homage for Asis...but hoping i could convince him to give Anazarbus XD))

Ilghazi Beg was lying on the floor, playing with his son Sulaiman. Sulaiman had a wooden sword and a wooden horse. Such a great warrior of legends and history, Ilghazi thought. Olgun Khatun watched them and held Guhar. Olgun Khatun didn’t exactly enjoy their new residence at Mardin, where they had moved after the news reached Amida about the expeditions of Kijil Arslan. Neither did Olgun like Çiçek and her pregnancy.

“Look at this now! The moment you marry that woman from Sivas in Rum, your lands come involved in their petty squabbles!”

Ilghazi shrugged. “Says the lady of Damascus.”
_ _ _

Ilghazi Beg gently stroked the forehead of his youngest child. Çiçek Khatun had given birth to her prematurely, but she seemed like a healthy daughter so far. Thus she had earned the name Hatce, the Turkic version of Khadijah, the name of the wife of Muhammad, which happened to mean ‘born prematurely’. Olgun Khatun had been joyful about the birth of a girl, and in general the jealousness between his wives greatly annoyed Ilghazi Beg, who wanted nothing to do with such an annoying womanly dispute. He again greeted his second wife and left for his chambers, deciding to enjoy yet another bottle of wine.

Ilghazi delved to his thoughts, wondering on what kind of a response Baghdad would send against Kijil Arslan the Seljuq Sultan of Rum who had departed for an adventure against Mosul. Ilghazi hoped that his service at the Caliphal Court would be remembered, as he now offered his assistance to solve the crisis. To better plan his battleplans and next actions, he brought over a jar of wine and started to drink. As he was doing so, his doorkeeper and bodyguard, a ghulam of Armenian origin, opened the door.

“My beg, the qadi is here to visit you. Did you forget about it?”

“By Allah!” Ilghazi quickly rushed to throw the cups and jars and bottles to the balcony and hide away the stains of wine. Unlike his Turkmen compatriots and subjects, the pious Arab wouldn’t exactly agree on too visible signs of consumption of ‘intoxicant liquids’.

To Baldwin I of Jerusalem,
It is with humble amazement that I am alive to witness the restoration of the Holy Land to Christ's church. The news of your great victories against the Egyptians arrived only days before your messengers, yet it is the talk of Rome. In morning prayers I shall call for those who have sinned or who live without the means to provide for themselves and their families to travel to Jerusalem, where God willing they will find absolution and prosperity.

His Holiness, Pashal II

---

To William-Jordan, Count of Cerdanya and Berga,
Greetings Lord. It is with no great pleasure that I received your letter; I must convey to you that the Empire of the Romans still believes Syria and the Levant to be its rightful lands, as these lands were for centuries under the domain of Constantinople. Thus consider that your refusal to pay homage to the Emperor Alexius will no doubt deny you access to resources you may have otherwise received freely.

Yet it is not our way to turn away from friends and allies. It is good to have a friendly realm amongst the Frankish lands, and if you are family to Raymond then your heart can not be all bad. I will consent to 5 of my ships aiding you in blockading the port of Tripoli, while I shall also see to it that some supplies are sent your way. I wish you luck, William-Jordan.

Eumathius Philocales, Governor of Cyprus

---

To Baldwin I,
My liege, this is a most unexpected honour. While I will travel to Ascalon post haste, I feel I must emphasise that with my person in the south, the lands of Galilee will be worse defended. I urge you to consider a replacement for myself as soon as possible, or at the very least to bolster the lands of Galilee with reinforcements from Jerusalem.

Hugh of St Omer, Prince of Galilee

---

To Baldwin I,
I welcome such correspondence from your majesty. I indeed intend on remaining in the region, and with your permission will find portage for my ships at the port of Haifa, as it is known to be the most secure within your Kingdom. Your offer of wealth is most welcome, and assuredly I will accept it on behalf of the Serene Republic.

Captain of the Venetian Squadron

---

To Oshin, Lord of Lampron,
On behalf of the Emperor of the Romans, I accept your homage. The Armenians have a long and fruitful history in the service of Constantinople, and I hope that as in the past you shall serve the Emperor well; as was discussed, the city of Sis shall transfer to your lordship, as reward for your fealty. Yet I must make it clear to you that the fortress of Anarzabus will not be ceded. It's citadel grants our armies great control over the Cilician plain, and its control is vital to ensure that the passage through to the Franks remains in Roman hands. I insist that you speak no more of such folly.

Monastras, General in service of the Emperor Alexius and effective governor of Cilicia

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-26_19-50-45.png
    upload_2015-11-26_19-50-45.png
    87,2 KB · Views: 39
There haven't been any posts in this thread for nearly 7 months. The game is obviously dead.