• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
M. Merivée
58 Knightsbridge
London
((Private - @DensleyBlair))

Monsieur,

The work which you have done representing France in Britain has not been without note back in this country. Provided that you continue to be willing, we would be honored if you maintain your position as Ambassador to the United Kingdom. It is a shameful happenstance that we have not been able to develop a correspondence prior to the violence which marred the creation of the French Republic. I certainly hope we will be able to work together to promote French interests for the remainder of my time as Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Cordialement,

7xYBcNu.png
. . .
Internal Memo of the Foreign Ministry:

The Ambassadors to Austria and Spain will have their resignations immediately requested. Upon receipt of resignation, they will be replaced.

Provided that all other current diplomatic delegations are willing to continue their service to France, they shall be maintained. Otherwise, upon receipt of their resignations, replacements will be produced from France, who will assume their duties following arrival in the country of question.

Signed,
7xYBcNu.png

La Presse

Oligarchy
A response to Deflandre

A recent article, LIBERTÉ ET JUSTICE, has been published by a man who you would believe, grew up within the Ottoman Empire, for his suppression of liberty, rule of law, and the will of the people, are mirrored only by the Sultan who tramples upon the Greeks in the east. Indeed, we are at rapid pace, under such prominent leadership, becoming not simply the sick of man of Europe, but the crippled, belittled and defiled man of Europe. I of course, refer to the recent article by Henri Deflandre, the questionable Foreign Minister.

I shall here quote, the honourable member of our government, M. Deflandre “it is the domain of politicians to desperately cling on to power and use whatever means necessary to achieve it. They will bribe, cajole, lie, and outright disobey law in order to preserve whatever small scrap of their power they can.” For how else, can one put a more able description of the current regime, than by the man himself who sits in it, atop of his ivory tower, so purely white and covered in gold that even the Sun King would find it distasteful.

It should not be the decision, of seven miserable men, sitting alone in a dark room in Paris, to decide who and whom the French public can or cannot vote for. It is a matter for the people of France to decide who shall represent them, not that those who so caused chaos and overthrew a government, either rightfully or wrongly. If any former minister, who under law and election of the French people, sat in government and shall so be elected once more, who are these to deny them? For dear reader we have to wonder, who next is a threat to this questionable government? Shall it be the bakers, can we no longer buy bread? Perhaps it shall be the farmers, perhaps they will get blamed for the lack of rain, or too much rain.

These Ministers were in times past, elected into the Chamber by the people of France, and if the people see fit to elect them again, then they have a far greater right, by the choice of the people to represent them, than any of these ministers have to exclude them. No one has elected Henri Deflandre into this government, and quite frankly, even less know of most of the ministers who no doubt until recently were known only in the local taverns. But yet now, have to speak on the behalf of every Frenchman, just imagine the gall on these people that they then try and decide who are eligible for election. What an inflated sense of importance they must have of themselves.

We need only look at the decisions of this government, that they themselves have decided, that their office shall not stand for election or approval of the honourable gentlemen who shall be elected come September. In truth, I call upon Minister Deflandre right now, that he and his lackeys pass a motion today. That they themselves will have to be confirmed by the august body elected in the September election: that they be confirmed to act on behalf of the French people as the temporary government, until such a time that a constitution has been drafted and approved by the Body of elected officials solely, without the interference of the temporary government. Should Minister Deflandre or any of his companions, be denied this trust by our august body of elected officials, then they must step down, and be replaced by an elected member, decided by the body of elected officials from the French public.

Surely, this should be a small accommodation, as everything our government has done, has been in the will of the people, so let them prove it come September. Allow the French people to vote for whom they please, and be judged by the very same standard, or else the Turk above, shall no doubt quench his thirst of blood from that which has been spilled in the name of true liberty, which this government now seeks to dry out, and rip out by the roots.

Signed,
Philippe Henri de Bourbon​

mappin_sun_logo_1.jpg

Le Désolé Journal

On the Moral Degredation of the Republic’s Leadership
The Republique is an ideal born of the greatest intentions. The premier example of how a utopian mindset can work between peers into the creation of a land where poverty is eliminated and the vote is universal. Alas, this is not the case.

The Repulique has been coopted, much like 1830, by conservative elements. Of the Seven, no doubt the blame lies on the ringleaders M. Gullet and M. DeFoliate. Both of whom have done their utmost to ensure the Second Republic is run like a Kingless June Monarchy.

No doubt it was they who abandoned their promises duty to nationalize the Bourse and create a singular financial institution of the people, by the people. Instead, they nationalized an already nationalized bank in the hopes that the individuals who held beliefs would either be too dumb or too distracted to notice.

These men are the second coming of the Ministerialists. They’re conservative republicans who are more interested in their instituionalised power and how to entrench it then engage in meaningful changes.

This election, avoid the parties of M. Gullet and M. DeFoliage.

~ M. Nay Moné

A series of pamphlets start circling through French cities

The Monarchy was corrupt they say.
The Monarchy was suppressing people political wills they say.
The Republic will represent the people better they say.
Universal Sufferage is needed for the French people, except those who threaten our oligarchy they say.

This government does not repersent you or your interests, but the interests of a cabal of seven men. Why obey them, when they are unelected and choose whom you can elect.

This is not a republic. This is oligarchy.

- General Godefroy Raymond de la Rhone

380px-Journal_d%C3%A9bats.png

Who is Gillet?

This is a question our readers frequently ask, probably in regards to the confusion regarding the backgrounds of the Seven conquerors. For all their talk of new blood entering the political arena the most prominent of their members is in fact a Dutchman who had high aspirations of cooperating with the Monarchy. Spurned, Deflandre van Iscariot decided to throw in his lot with the radicals but quickly learned he had to find some poor saps to fill the list of officers of state.

M. Gillet is one of those chaps. A former National Guardsmen of little note before the uprising has now found himself as Minister of Finance. Our readers will remember rumors that the Seven conquerors had resolved to nationalize both private banks and immediately default on all national debt. Thankfully this dreadful piece of policy was not adopted but we can only assume such misguided ideas had to come from the head of the new Minister for Finance; as we would, as logical, expect that ideas for economies would come from his head.

Instead of broad nationalization we have foisted upon France what the Radicals deem the "Workshop Laws." The details of such fiats need not concern your, gentle readers, because they are manifestly incomprehensible to anyone that has but a basic understanding of supply and demand. This purely academic notion that creating a government department to oversee and regulate labor will immediately result in consumer demand and jobs being created will only result in employment for the bureaucrats employed by this moral indignation upon the social fabric of this great nation. We might as well come up with a number and pretend the amount of francs is immediately in our treasury; at least we can save the expense of the Radicals populating government with their hangers on and drinking buddies.

Yet, if the unelected, despotic Cabal of Seven are true to their word--which any student of history has reason to doubt--then a chance to reverse this dreadful course presents itself to France in the upcoming elections.

Citizens, vote for candidates of peace, order, and good government. Show the nonbelievers in qualified governance that you support figures who have actual experience running a country.

Signed,
"Sulla Felix"

DECREE OF THE PROVISIONAL COUNCIL OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC
(Regarding Commissioners of the Republic)

I. The current structure of departmental prefects will be replaced by a system of Commissioners of the Republic, who will be entitled the exercise of the duties necessary to facilitate the local affairs of the Government of the Republic. They will be appointed by the Ministry of the Interior from among the inhabitants of their department, and will be specifically selected to represent the broader people of France.

Passed. 5-0-2
For - 5 (Deflandre, Arago, Saint-Georges, Clement, Gillet)
Against - 0
Abstaining - 2 (Disney, Nadeau)

lguWEQW.png

QUI EST MONSIEUR GILLET? QUI EST MONSIEUR "SULLA"?

Henri Deflandre
"Who is Monsieur Gillet?" So asks one of the papers which stands in opposition to the Republic. Indeed, while they may ask who he is, the people of France have not forgotten his deeds or his legacy. When it was that the June Monarchy sought to make an example of the republicans, he was the one they targeted. Indeed, he was important enough to them then, that he would become an icon of the men persecuted by the unjust society which has just been torn down by the declaration of the French Republic. If the anonymous author of that article has the personal conviction to criticize the background of a man who stood on the streets, fighting for the Republic, perhaps he should reveal his own identity?

After all, this "Sulla" is very much like his namesake. A greedy, self-interested man who attempted to seize power in a trying time. Yet we are not blind to his ill-will. After all, the conservative press is filled with slogans criticizing the government. Indeed, they possess the right, and unlike the government to which they previously belonged, the French Republic will never attempt to arrest them for such criticism. What a coward, then, this Sulla must be, that even without the threat of punishment, he dares not reveal his identity. Cloak and dagger, it can only be supposed, is a method which works particularly well for the enemies of the French people.

The Provisional Council will continue to execute its duties until a constitution has been developed by the Constituent Assembly. At that point, it will be the decision of the people of France or their representatives to either maintain or repeal the decrees which are being implemented. Of course, those who have no love for the French lives lost in February would not care. They are more consumed with how best to manufacture their return to power. Indeed, these men are most like the historical Sulla -- greedy, self-serving, and willing to sacrifice their nation for personal power. The people of France, however, we are wise, and we can see when we are being misled. That is why there should be no doubt that the Republic will persevere.

DEFLANDRE.

M. Merivée
58 Knightsbridge
London
((Private - @DensleyBlair))

Monsieur,

The work which you have done representing France in Britain has not been without note back in this country. Provided that you continue to be willing, we would be honored if you maintain your position as Ambassador to the United Kingdom. It is a shameful happenstance that we have not been able to develop a correspondence prior to the violence which marred the creation of the French Republic. I certainly hope we will be able to work together to promote French interests for the remainder of my time as Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Cordialement,

7xYBcNu.png

Monsieur,

Twenty years ago I may have resented the Revolution, but today I can only regret it. I made my career denouncing the circumstances in which the Orléans monarchy came to be, and thus I can hardly shed tears at its passing, especially when it was felled finally by a Ministry so unsure in their own ambition that for once a king fell for want of tyranny! The governments of King Philippe were on the whole self-interested and inspired little but mistrust—and no doubt I must reckon with my own role in this history. I hope that the coming Ministry might set an altogether more inspiring tone for the new Republic.

I am quite happy here in London, and feel I have made good progress with the English. I am thus quite satisfied staying in-post, and hope to serve as France’s ambassador to this country as long as it continues to please Paris. While I have not yet met formally with our troublesome friend Palmerston since the change in government in Paris, I dare say he will be most amused by what has transpired. He is a friend to what he calls Liberty in all places, thus providing Paris does not fall squabbling into the Seine while trying to settle the matter of Constitution I dare say we may find our lives easier in dealing with the ministry in London.

I shall write to you again once I have had occasion to meet with Her Majesty’s government. Until such time,

I remain,

Merivée

Reformation of the French Military; 1850

WHEREIN the French armed forces are in a decrepit state;
WHEREAS reform is vitally necessary for the continuation of a competent military;

THE following will be enacted forthwith:

I) The French Regiment will be reorganised into a more fair and equal manner (as seen in Appendix 1).
II) French Noncommissioned Officers (defined as all individuals above the rank of Private and below the rank of Sous-Lieutenant) shall be elected by popular acclaim of the rank-and-file soldiers (defined as all soldiers below the rank of Corporal).
III) All former members of elite companies shall find themselves with equal rank within standard companies as all elite companies are hereby declared defunct and disbanned.

Etat Major
1 Colonel
1 Lieutenant Colonel
3 Chefs de Bataillon
1 Major
3 Captains Adjutant-Major
1 Captain Clothing Officer
1 Captain Treasurer
1 Lieutenant Assistant-Treasurer
1 Lieutenant Standard-Bearer
1 Surgeon
2 Assistant Surgeons

Petit Etat Major
3 Adjutants
1 Tambour-Major or Sergeant-Bugler
3 Corporal-Drummers or Corporal Buglers
1 Corporal Sapeur
12 Sapeurs
1 Chief of Music
26 Musicians

Section Hors Rang
2 Sergeant-Majors
4 Sergeants
1 Fourier
3 Master-Workmen
9 Corporals
57 Privates

Company
1 Captain
1 Lieutenant
1 Sous-Lieutenant
1 Sergeant-Major
4 Sergeants
1 Fourier
8 Corporals
2 Drummers or Buglers
115 Privates

12 Vivandieres-Blanchiseusses
22 Enfants de Troupe.

Nadeau

His Eminence,
Cardinal Raffaele Fornari
Apostolic Nuncio to France
((Private - @99KingHigh))

Your Eminence,

It is my pleasure to write you, such that we might be able to work together for the betterment of the relationship between the French Republic and His Holiness. It is my personal belief that the realms of temporal and spiritual power ought to cooperate for the betterment of our human lives. I had long felt the opposition to the Church which was prevalent within the governments which preceded our own was ill-advised. It is my most sincere opinion, then, that Your Eminence and I ought to cooperate in our respective faculties for the betterment of France.

Please know that it is the position of the French Republic that the Church is a valuable institution, and while we favor the pursuit of secular mechanisms of government, we have no intention of acting in a way which would harm or disadvantage the Church. I eagerly await your response.

Cordialement,
7xYBcNu.png

La Presse

A Desperate Act

In a recent article I wrote, named Oligarchy, where I came with a number of complaints against the government, along with a demand that they stand for approval by the august elected body come September. The Government has since begun to declare through further decree, namely in Regarding Commissioners of the Republic, that they do not see the need for the approval of the French people. That they do not care about the opinion and the will of the French people, that they do not seek the legitimacy, which confirmation from an elected body would bring them.

Instead they place attacks on officials of the state, who received their office at such a time, in which France had an elected assembly to speak on its behalf. This Government of the Republic has taken it upon themselves to remove the Prefects across France. The same Prefects whom were given their charge by what was the rightful government, at the time of their appointment. Who were given their position in good faith, and with approval of Ministers of the Interior who had been elected to the Chamber of Deputies by the people of France. Instead a Ministry which has no official recognition by the French people, and seeks none as it might threaten their autocratic authority over government affairs, will now replace them.

Now, unlike the Seven, I do not believe I have the importance to warrant or demand their time or response, any more than any other citizen of this French Republic. But all the same, I find it telling that their decision is not to wait until legitimate and proper elections have occurred. That is, if they don’t manage to oppress the electorate further, as they already try to do as such to former ministers. But now, before a chamber, or the people can show their will, which is known to anyone who is not inside this ministry, they seek to replace those men who are given their position by elected officials.

Had this provincial government done as I requested, and waited with such motions until the time, that they had been confirmed or denied, by a body of elected officials from the French people. This could have been a legitimate act of governance, for the betterment of this new republic. Yet in their haste, and their desperation, they have made this act, an act of despotism, and questionable legitimacy at best. They have besmirched not only themselves, but also any commissioner who they may assign.

Any such commissioner would also do well to consider their own position. For they have not been appointed by a government elected by the French people, or even approved by them. But one which was brought about by violence and unhappiness from every corner of France, and as such have no electoral legitimacy. It is a sad affair, that so much further legitimacy has been eroded from this Republic, because Seven men in their desperation to ensure their said legitimacy, rushed ahead without first being approved by the people as I previously called for.

Signed,
Philippe Henri de Bourbon​

Excerpt from the diary of Joachim.

"Elected NCOs? Now we may reclaim France with even the sorry state of the Spanish Army".

Dear Colonel Joachim-Philippe Lothaire Duc de Lécuye,

Congratulations on your newest commission in L'Île-aux-Marins. You are tasked with organising the creation of a fort there utilising what resources you have available.

You have been budgeted 150 francs for the construction of such a fort.

Sincerely your boss,

Nadeau

A letter was sent to several of the Regime critical press and those skeptical - namely the editors and journalists of the Parisin press.. ((@Cloud Strife @Sneakyflaps @Eid3r and anyone else among the players)).

"M.[insert editor or journalist] I provide a copy of the letter the government of France sent me as I was forced into exile. I merely wish to live my life in peace, and this is what they bid their time to do. Time that should instead be spent trying to recover the economy and heal the nation. I will leave the blanks up to you.

Sincerly,

Joachim Lécuyer".

Dear Colonel Joachim-Philippe Lothaire Duc de Lécuye,

Congratulations on your newest commission in L'Île-aux-Marins. You are tasked with organising the creation of a fort there utilising what resources you have available.

You have been budgeted 150 francs for the construction of such a fort.

Sincerely your boss,

In another inspired move, the Minister of War has chosen to assign the son of the July Hero, the duc de Lecuyer, to an island--the so-called L'Île-aux-Marins--that does not exist to build a fort with a budget of 150 francs. M. Nadeau's pettiness has extended from acting to completely ruin military discipline by making non-commissioned officers subject to election by the rank-and-file to now deciding to waste 150 francs of taxpayer funds on a prank.

Responsible government cannot come soon enough! Vote for the forces of order.

--M. de Saint-Cyr

BOOK 3: The Second Republic

rk4Ly5Q.jpg

Event: Socialisme
Many partisans of the Revolution belonged to the radical social trends that saw the initial proclamations of the Provisional Council as a great inspiration. They had hoped for the 'social workshops,' inspired by Louis Blanc, who called for workers to move sector to sector forming production cooperatives. But it was the so-called 'charity workshops' that triumphed, and it was believed that this system would be able to palliate most of the social evils of the crisis and to pin down workers who might be tempted to hang about in the streets.

CaBj2n0.jpg

During the morning of 28 February a large demonstration of workers marched on the Hôtel de Ville and demanded a "Ministry of Progress" and the "Organisation of Labour." In essence they desired a Ministry of Work, and since there had existed already a Ministry of Commerce and Public Works, it was implicit that the purpose of the new ministry could only be social. Its creation would mean that the State explicitly recognized social well-being or at least social protection sand amelioration among its responsibilities. The idea could be received as nothing less than the very principle of socialism.

lguWEQW.png

QUI EST MONSIEUR GILLET? QUI EST MONSIEUR "SULLA"?

Henri Deflandre
"Who is Monsieur Gillet?" So asks one of the papers which stands in opposition to the Republic. Indeed, while they may ask who he is, the people of France have not forgotten his deeds or his legacy. When it was that the June Monarchy sought to make an example of the republicans, he was the one they targeted. Indeed, he was important enough to them then, that he would become an icon of the men persecuted by the unjust society which has just been torn down by the declaration of the French Republic. If the anonymous author of that article has the personal conviction to criticize the background of a man who stood on the streets, fighting for the Republic, perhaps he should reveal his own identity?

After all, this "Sulla" is very much like his namesake. A greedy, self-interested man who attempted to seize power in a trying time. Yet we are not blind to his ill-will. After all, the conservative press is filled with slogans criticizing the government. Indeed, they possess the right, and unlike the government to which they previously belonged, the French Republic will never attempt to arrest them for such criticism. What a coward, then, this Sulla must be, that even without the threat of punishment, he dares not reveal his identity. Cloak and dagger, it can only be supposed, is a method which works particularly well for the enemies of the French people.

The Provisional Council will continue to execute its duties until a constitution has been developed by the Constituent Assembly. At that point, it will be the decision of the people of France or their representatives to either maintain or repeal the decrees which are being implemented. Of course, those who have no love for the French lives lost in February would not care. They are more consumed with how best to manufacture their return to power. Indeed, these men are most like the historical Sulla -- greedy, self-serving, and willing to sacrifice their nation for personal power. The people of France, however, we are wise, and we can see when we are being misled. That is why there should be no doubt that the Republic will persevere.

DEFLANDRE.

I speak for those who fought in the sands and mountains of Algeria. Those who--with their own two hands--built new fortunes. For those that wanted to have an honest and peaceful life. It is with irony that that M. van Iscariot now uses his pen to defend the shrill voices of Radicals who not too long ago called for his head as well. M. van Iscariot claims to fight for the Republic but in reality he is nothing more than a parasite or a fungus that has taken to infesting the veins of the Radicals, to animate them to support to proliferate expenditures and subservience to foreign interests.

At least Les Hommes and those other Radical clubs were groups of Frenchmen. While I cannot sympathize with their ideals, at least they pretended to try to benefit the plight of Frenchmen and would not Dutchify us as M. van Iscariot would have us adopt. But I will not abandon my good wine, my good coffee, in exchange for blandness and waffles. No dear reader, give me the waters of the Loire over the sogginess of the polders any day. I shant deny there is a virtue to enjoying life and it is this enjoyment that contrasts with the constant sacrifices M. van Iscariot's sole consulship demands. His hunger is endless and will eat up France faster than any Pear, Corsican Ogre, or White Nobility Rake ever could manage.

Anonymity is in the grand French tradition for trying to avoid being guillotined or sent to some barren rock like poor M. de Malvisia. When I can be sure the Radical's Republic will not turn into a Socialist Orgy is the time I shall reveal my identity. One can never be too careful in associating with the forces of disorder. They are bound to turn on one another in due course if the past is any lesson for us to glean information from.

Signed,
"Sulla Felix"

Outside the Hotel de Ville, Nadeau speaks.

"Gentlemen, Frenchmen, citizens! I am truly blessed to see you out here. The Government, led by those moderate republicans in there, have thrown out the appreciation for true social change. They, having seized control of the nation through your strength, has abandoned you. The men in there, they do not want the implementation of socialism! The men in there do not want to see France freed! No, they wipe their hands, Pontius Pilates all, of those social values we crave. I will immediately return to the chambers and demand not only the creation of a Minister of Society, but that I, a true socialist, or our fellow traveler Disney, be given the Ministry.

People of this fair land, we cannot allow the Republic to be undermined by those that seek a Kingless June Monarchy. Together we will achieve true change and commit to a radically fairer and more equal France.

Wave the flags! Join me in song! Together our unity has overthrown a king, and together we can force through real social change!"

In another inspired move, the Minister of War has chosen to assign the son of the July Hero, the duc de Lecuyer, to an island--the so-called L'Île-aux-Marins--that does not exist to build a fort with a budget of 150 francs. M. Nadeau's pettiness has extended from acting to completely ruin military discipline by making non-commissioned officers subject to election by the rank-and-file to now deciding to waste 150 francs of taxpayer funds on a prank.

Responsible government cannot come soon enough! Vote for the forces of order.

--M. de Saint-Cyr

*Deflandre privately exclaims to a friend*

"This would all be much more convincing if Monsieur Lecuyer had not deserted and fled France without resigning his commission!"

5BUqSil.png

Hercule Marie Rinaldo de Este
duc de Joyeuse, duc de Elbeuf, marquis de Scandiano
vicomte de Perpignan, prince de Lambesc

Born: 25 January 1793 (aged 74)
Party: Légitimistes
Profession: Aristocrat
Department: Seine

The only child borne from the union of Ercole Rinaldo, Marquess of Scandiano - the bastard son of Ercole III, Duke of Modena and Reggio - and Maria Ludovica Orsini - a daughter of the Duke of Gravina - Ercole Maria Rinaldo was greatly received by his paternal grandfather, who had no legitimate male issue. The young Ercole's status in the ducal court was further heightened by the death of his father in 1795 and his ascension as Marquess of Scandiano.

The young marquess was not to enjoy such privileges for long however, with a French invasion forcing the Duke of Modena and Reggio and his family to flee to Venice. They were pursued there too by the French and thereafter moved to Treviso, where the Lady Maria and the young Ercole stayed only briefly before moving to her family's lands in the Papal States. Another French invasion there once again forced mother and son to flee, this time to the Austrian Empire. It was here that young Ercole would spend his formative years, living in the relative comfort provided by his grandfather - who would pass in 1803, with Ercole's mother henceforth signing documents in her son's name with d'Este.

By 1811, the young Ercole burned with a fiery passion to fight against Napoleon and the French Empire; motivated by this he enlisted in the Austrian Army and was assigned as a leutnant. However, owing to his mother's intervention, he was posted to a non-combat role in Galicia. It was here that he met Charles Eugène, Prince of Lambesc, the Governor-General, for the first time - the beginnings of a father-son relationship that would play a vital role in the molding of Ercole's character.

Ercole's service in Galicia would last from 1811 to 1814, during which he became acquainted with the Prince of Lambesc's tales of the Bourbon Monarchy and the righteousness of restoring its members to the throne of France. He would travel to the newly-restored Kingdom of France in 1814, representing on behalf of the Prince when he was created a Peer of France and elevated further as Duke of Elbeuf. This role of intermediary would continue until Ercole enlisted in the French Army, with the Duke of Elbeuf's patronage, and was granted the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in 1817; to further ingratiate himself in his new position, he adopted the French forms of his name, 'Hercule Marie'.

The Duke's daughter, Louise Aubine, would also move to France in 1820 with Hercule's promise to watch over. The two would gradually become further acquainted until they were engaged the following year, and then married in 1822. A son would follow a year after, christened Hercule Charles Eugène Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine in honor of his grandfathers and in recognition of the illustrious lineages he was descended from.

His beloved father-in-law would finally pass in 1825, with his titles passing to his daughter, and by virtue of this Hercule would become Duke of Elbeuf and Prince of Lambesc jure uxoris. The following year he was raised to be a Peer of France, in lieu of the inability of his wife to serve in such a body. This newfound elevation also proved a boon to his career in the army, with the Duke receiving promotion as a 'Brigade General'.

The Duke of Elbeuf was in command of a brigade stationed outside of Paris during the Revolution of 1830, and owing to his distance from the fighting he was unable to effect any change. With news of Charles X's deposition he swore to dedicate his life to the restoration of the 'rightful lineage' once more, and followed the royal family into exile.

The Duke, with family in tow, moved to join his mother in her ancestral lands of Gravina in the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. It was there that he met the Duchess of Berry, who immediately formed an impression upon him and his resolve for the cause of the légitimistes was strengthened. He would travel two years later to Hradschin Palace where he would pay homage to Henri V and celebrate his majority.

When the royals moved to Görz, the Duke was resolved to follow. With Henri V lacking a father, and being only sixteen, Hercule quickly began to fill this gap - his influence magnified with the death of Charles X in late 1836. He would continue to follow Henri V, traveling with him to Rome in 1842, and then to London in November, 1843. He would play a key role in the act of homage done at Belgrave Square - being named Grand Chamberlain by Henri V, and thus officiating over the 'ceremony'.

Henri V would come to reward his most loyal servant, naming him Duke of Joyeuse and Viscount of Perpignan in 1845. The Duke has looked on at the events of 1850 with glee, celebrating the fall of the Philippe VII and his ilk. Although briefly dabbling in the politics of the 'Republic' he was sidelined by much of the right-wing grandees, and so took a lesser role. With Henri V's restoration he was elevated as a Peer of France once again, a role he served in admirably. With the Revolution of 1866 he would once again depart with Henri V, following his king into exile.

Family

Ercole Rinaldo, Marchese di Scandiano (1770 - 1795), married Maria Ludovica Orsini (1769 - 1833),

Hercule Marie Rinaldo de Este, duc de Joyeuse, duc de Elbeuf, marquis de Scandiano, vicomte de Perpignan, prince de Lambesc (1793- ), married to Louise Aubine de Lorraine, duchesse de Joyeuse, et. al. (1804- ),
Hercule Charles Eugène Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine, comte de Armagnac (1823- ), married to Lady Jane Wilhelmina Seymour (1812- ),
Hercule Charles-Marie Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1844- ),
Louise-Charlotte Elisabeth Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1846- ),
Jean Louis Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1849- ),

Alphonse Philippe Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1827- ),
Marie Elisabeth Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1829- ),
François Henri Rinaldo de Este-Lorraine (1834- ),

Record of Service

In the Austrian Army:

Leutnant (1811 - 1812)
Hauptmann (1812 - 1814)
Major (1814)

In the French Army:

Lieutenant-colonel (1817 - 1823)
Colonel (1823 - 1826)
Général de brigade (1826 - 1830)

Public Offices

Peer of France (1826 - 1830; 1853 - 1866)

Other Offices

Grand Chamberlain of France (1843 - Present)

Last edited: