Question: # of Technologies?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What firepower did the Blorg have when ground-hugging the Sibulans? 600? There is still a looooong way to go...
By the end of the last stream they have reached ~1.5K, so yeah, it might take a while to get there.

arent there even more rare techs ? wasnt they talking about a few legendary techs ?
i want dlc with alot tech like deathstar which is legendary tech

i would LOVE a developer give us a range of how many techs there are (i dont need to know its 532 just say 500ish or something)

arent there even more rare techs ? wasnt they talking about a few legendary techs ?
i want dlc with alot tech like deathstar which is legendary tech

i would LOVE a developer give us a range of how many techs there are (i dont need to know its 532 just say 500ish or something)

I would Love to happen too, as well you are almost undoubtedly right in regards to the techs except maybe the Deathstar. ;)

Ninja'd by a dev

Ballpark, excluding repeatable techs... 300-ish. Can't get all in a single game though.
thanks for the answer :)
so i bet some dlc will have some new so for the next years we are good xD

I would Love to happen too, as well you are almost undoubtedly right in regards to the techs except maybe the Deathstar. ;)

i just used deathstar because i heared rumors about a deathstar dlc xD

Ballpark, excluding repeatable techs... 300-ish. Can't get all in a single game though.

Well at least by ballpark had the number in it. Woo, pessimism wins again. :p

Do you have to be fanatic to get unique techs? Are there unique techs which require fanatic? Do all ethos have unique techs?

Probably not for all maybe for some. Probably. Maybe. The epitome of uncertainly. :p

As far I remember some techs are restricted for spiritualist, some for materialist and so on, not sure if some are restricted to the fanatics thoug

Amount of techs? Though 300 is a pretty big number compared to other 4X games.

300 is a huge number compared to most 4x, and considering how long even the basic techs take to be researched (depending on ethos and triats 20-30 months), it will take a while to actually research a majority. Thats not even taking into consideration the anomaly stuff and special projects which will slow down your tech development a little bit

Reactions:
I guess a game will easily last for more than 250 years until you run out of techs

I still think research should be much slower because you get 3 research area at the same time, so if we dont want research to be like christmas day every couple of years or so, it should be MUCH MUCH slower especially in the mid to late game.

Comparatively there is 96 techs in EU4 for 600 years of gameplay

Last edited:
Reactions:
I love how someone 'respectfully disagreed' with the dev response.

What is there to disagree about???

I am a senior executive and I know a number is wrong when I see one. Obviously there are exactly 231 techs.

Reactions:
I guess a game will easily last for more than 250 years until you run out of techs

I still think research should be much slower because you get 3 research area at the same time, so if we dont want research to be like christmas day every couple of years or so, it should be MUCH MUCH slower especially in the mid to late game.

Easily, to give some people an idea of how many tech this is, Civilization V had around 80 techs. Stellaris: "300-ish"

This gonna be fun. :)

Reactions:
Yeah but in civ you can research only one tech at the same time, and they give you more new stuff (new units and buildings) as well as radical game changers (hello Coal Power)

Yeah but in civ you can research only one tech at the same time, and they give you more new stuff (new units and buildings) as well as radical game changers (hello Coal Power)

As well in Eu4 like you mentioned you are extremely locked by time to getting technology.

I agree about Civ 5 however but then there are all the repeating tech, and they might really be worth it, who knows.

If you run out of techs before you run out of conquests, then your game either has too many conquests or too few techs. Either way, it ain't doin' it right.
It-'s not another future tech, but that you can investigate different incremental economic and military bonii. It-'s not ideal, but better.

Last edited:
I suppose my gripe is that having Future Tech is not a good thing, that we should be happy about it being in the game.

It seems to me (and I thought this in Civ too, so I'm not just being mean to Paradox) that it is rather a symptom of the design having failed to balance / pace the various aspects of the game properly.

If you run out of techs before you run out of conquests, then your game either has too many conquests or too few techs. Either way, it ain't doin' it right.

What's your solution then?

You can't really balance techs vs. conquests, because it's just a matter of your own way to play the game. Naturally you are running out of techs, if you don't go for a domination victory. Usually, if you run out of techs, it's called science victory anyway.

There's pretty much just one way to not run out of techs at any time: If you are running out of time first.

Reactions: