• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not much to complain about from the article, this version seems much more strategic on a more "high command level" than HOI3, where it felt like you
had to everything yourself down to the most minute detail in order to achieve victory, warfare was way to important to let the a.i. handle even a tiny bit
of front! The air combat system I really like, since there was just so much to do with your land forces in HOI3 that you barely had any energy left for assigning
your air groups, and constantly reassigning them!

Reactions:
I can clearly see the points made, and while I don't want to continue the "lemming train", I do feel that all viewpoints are valid. And while I am upset that there is another delay, I really just want them to do their best, make a game that will sell well, and be very fun.

So yea all aboard the patient and understanding train, thanks for telling us @Johan ! I'm sure it was a pain to do so, and I hope the team isn't too frustrated by not being on the schedule of the previous estimate.

Not much to complain about from the article, this version seems much more strategic on a more "high command level" than HOI3, where it felt like you had to everything yourself down to the most minute detail in order to achieve victory, warfare was way to important to let the a.i. handle even a tiny bit of front! The air combat system I really like, since there was just so much to do with your land forces in HOI3 that you barely had any energy left for assigning your air groups, and constantly reassigning them!
Yup. I don't mind having full control, but I'd like that level of control without the ridiculous level of micro-management in HOI3. Merely the ability to "paint" territories to assign land units there is a huge step up from having to order them one by one in HOI3.

HOI3: could you put the shopping bag by the fridge, the tomatoes in the fridge, the milk in the fridge, the lettuce in the fridge, the ice coffee in the fridge, the bottle of caramel sauce in the fridge, the first bottle of coke in the fridge, the second bottle of coke in the fridge and the kiwis in the fridge?

HOI4: could you put the groceries in the fridge for me really quick?

In other words, (about) the same level of control, but delegated to an AI. I have high hopes seeing how some things are far more efficient in EU4 :) .

Reactions:
I am sorry to say, that i have to agree with Dr.Maier in the way they handle this. Granted i didn't expect a Release in Q2 anymore anyway but i expected a reasonable way to communicate this to us while outlining some of the reasoning and problems wich occured that led to this decision. Probably in the wake of the upcoming dev diary.

I guess this article was kind of a semi-professional source which prompted a response from Paradox, which the community has been trying to get for some weeks now. But considering the statements from them to be more professional in the way they announce their products, i am disappointed in the way Johan acknowledged this.

As i see it you either don't wait that long with an update on your release schedule, or you give it in at least an appropriate format and not just a random half sentence in a forum thread. This way you undermine you credibilty and make your previous statements look very foolish as you can see by the two quotes Dr Maier put in his post.

And yes I noticed that Johan denounced Q2 in his post while avoiding any commitement to another timeframe but that doesnt pass as professional for me either. Still looking forward to the next dev diary and expecting a more thourough discussion of the schedule there.

Did you purchase the product in question? Do you own a stake in Paradox interactive? Do you have a contract for delivery of the product with a date in Q2? Did you fund it on Kickstarter? No? Well, they don't owe you anything then.

"Professional" = carrying out your commercial obligations in a responsible, courteous manner, usually in accordance with some understood cultural standard relevant to this industry. There is no obligation here, and delays are a fact of life with software.

Yeah, it doesn't take too much time to write a little explanation.

"It's a big, complex project, and testing is taking longer than anticipated." I believe Paradox is justified in thinking that most of their prospective customers can connect the dots and make logical inferences. Though, these threads make me think they might be wrong in this assumption.

Reactions:
Did you purchase the product in question? Do you own a stake in Paradox interactive? Do you have a contract for delivery of the product with a date in Q2? Did you fund it on Kickstarter? No? Well, they don't owe you anything then.

"Professional" = carrying out your commercial obligations in a responsible, courteous manner, usually in accordance with some understood cultural standard relevant to this industry. There is no obligation here, and delays are a fact of life with software.

"It's a big, complex project, and testing is taking longer than anticipated." I believe Paradox is justified in thinking that most of their prospective customers can connect the dots and make logical inferences. Though, these threads make me think they might be wrong in this assumption.

A few things,

if you would have cared to read what i wrote, then you would have realized, that i never complained about the delay, i expected it and i am fine with it as i suppose most people on these forums are.I dont know where you got the idea that i was feeling entitled to a game release in Q2. I connected the dots, thank you very much.

That being said i dont know why you feel that any kind of criticism needs to be related to a financial investment. If thats the case then we should close down the HOI4 Forums alltogether, because nobody here has a financial investment, so your position would be for everyone to just be quiet? Would be quite a low traffic forum then, wouldn't it.

However let me point out a perspective which does not derive from buying into something before being able to criticize it. The concept of taking someone on its own word. Their only obligation is to what they said themselves. It was Paradox himself which stated a Release in Q2. Over the last couple of weeks there have been quite a few topics on this board, trying to get an update on the release schedule, because the time is close and we havent heard of them for a long time. All these Topics got shut down by the moderators and rightly so, referencing the forum rules and the sticky topics, leading us to believe there will be a proper update sometime. Johan telling us here it wont be Q2 is hardly news because almost nobody believed in a Q2 release anyway. The mods enforcing the rules look kinda silly now, basicly saying dont beg for an update in a random thread you wont get it like this and then Johan makes the update in a random thread.

All i am saying is that it would have been good if they would have communicated this better and earlier. Maybe like this:

"Dear community, as most of you might have realized by now our development hasn't proceeded like we expected and a Q2 release is not possible anymore as we want the game to be as good as we can make it. Considering our past overconfidence in the schedule we are hesitant to commit to a new timeframe but will inform you as soon as we have reached a decision. We are sorry for this further delay but i think we can all agree that its better to take the time we need than to rush and deliver an incomplete product. Yours sincerly PDX"

That was really hard, wasn't it. Being profesional by giving an update on the commitment Paradox themselves made. You know courteous, responsible, that kind of stuff.

And if you really prefer "connecting the dots and and making logical inferences" over a believable Developer post, all power to you, but dont blame me for wanting something a bit more reliable than forum gossip.

And i really don't wont to get too worked up about it, but could you please tone down your thinly disguised ad hominems and vitriol?

Your sincerly

Reactions:

Agreed. My previous job was in a software firm: delays happened all the time. People who buy train tickets in Finland, and people who have done internet banking in Sweden, will know the name of the company I worked for and have reason to regret that we delivered software without properly testing it as rigorously as we should have - better to delay delivery and finish the testing.

Q3? sure. i'll wait. ...welp, i'm off to CK2land. lotsa unloved nephews with claims to off! tootles!

I wouldn't bank on Q3 - Q1 seems just as likely to me.

Reactions:
HOI3 games take a looong time, not to mention if I install BlackICE again, so I guess that'll help me survive the wait. Wish I got my grubby mitts on an alpha copy, tough :p.

Agreed. I don't like delays either, but to pretend the devs for some reason have some obligation to answer to us smacks of entitlement to me. Info would be good, but if they're not giving any, possibly they have their reasons.

Reactions:
When we have a new expected releasedate, we'll announce it. When the game gets an approved alpha, we can start plan for that, but there is no way a game can go from alpha to relaese in less than six months, as i've said repeatedly.

Reactions:
When we have a new expected releasedate, we'll announce it. When the game gets an approved alpha, we can start plan for that, but there is no way a game can go from alpha to relaese in less than six months, as i've said repeatedly.

Well why did the screenshots some weeks before have an alpha mark?

Reactions:
For thos that need an interpretation. At least 2 quarters from alpha.

So if passed alpha on june 1st. No game release until december 1st. May as well then say at least next q1.

I say make it right, even if it takes longer. No soft release of poor quality games.

Last edited:
I thought it was already sitting on a late q3 maybe release date. I would rather they take the blizzard approach officially with, it's done when it's done. I am fine with that. I would rather get a good working game later then a buggy game soon. Much as I hate waiting I am fine doing so. Thanks for the article post. Any news is nIce.

At least ck2 and eu4 are selling well which means they don't have to rush it out the door for the income. Hopefully that means less stress on everyone there.

Thanks Johan, kind of what I figured anywho plenty of fun BICE to be had :cool:

As long as the game will be a good one and mostly bug free, well then i will be satisfied. So take all the time in the world :)

Reactions: