• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fun seeing who else is scrambling to colonize. I'm obviously rooting for you, but it would be nice to see someone else find success. Personally hoping the Teutonic Colonies stick around, so long as they don't interfere with you.

As for the vote, I support B. I agree with those saying the Empire of Britannia is fairly tolerant.

Good to see that more countries are joining the colonial game!

Punishment
(A) Punish only the obvious conspirators

The motivation being that Britain should be tolerant.

Last edited:
After much deliberation, I have decided that we should punish only the obvious conspirators. As troublesome as the Papists might be, we must never forget our long tradition of religious toleration. Angry though our brothers in the faith are, we cannot simply overturn this tradition for temporary satisfaction. Who among us wishes to be the one to publicly renounce our proud nation's principles?

We must also not forget that many Catholics are wary of and prepared for a purge, and can be expected to fight should the Crown move against them. I would rather not have good British men risk their own lives slaying fellow Britons when the Musselmen of Alexandria linger ever nearer to the frontiers of Christendom.

((OOC: It appears that some of my compatriots have gotten Options A and B mixed up. Those calling for toleration should know Option B is to punish all Catholics.))

Thanks for the votes. I forgot to put the end time of the vote, so I just added it now. Another 24 hours or so!

Reactions:
Chapter 13 - 1616 to 1640: The Age of Colonization

The Parliament agrees to punishing only the obvious conspirators. The Tolerance act was, after all, enacted to stop this sort of generalization. As the news is announced (and as Guy Fawkes swings), Protestants throughout the nation cry in protest. To them, it is obvious that, while this may have been planned and attempted by a select few, it was a plot most Catholics would fully endorse. Why should they too not be punished?

axs8T71.jpg

The Empress Radekza, in response to the outbursts from unsettled protestants, spends considerable time and effort easing the tension, and eventually the situation normalizes.

In August of 1617, an heir is born to Radekza, named Dohaeris. Given Radekza's rather venerable age of 45, people are quite surprised at the birth of an heir.

XCOfVmJ.jpg

In Europe, peace reigns supreme. Several big players are coming forth: Russia, once a patchwork of post-Mongol nations, is now a unified administrative empire, commanding more troops than any nation on earth, and twice as many as the British Empire. The next two on the list behind Russia and Britain are Carinthia and Hungary. Carinthia has been growing in power for many years, and it now surrounds the Italian peninsula. If you want to leave Italy, you have to go through Carinthia. Hungary was fairly static for many years, other than its gaining of Sicily. It has been conquering lands to its south, as well as further lands in Italy, in recent years. Finally, there is Eretna, the Turkish nation of Anatolia, Successor to the Byzantines. While a fairly powerful enemy, the Eretnids do not pose a direct threat to Europe, what with Hungary in its way.

V3yACL3.jpg

What with the early successes of the colonies, the Parliament begins debating the issue of Charter Colonies. Radekza is fully on board, and certain privileges are given in exchange for support of the motion.

CdnbxIe.jpg

In 1624, Alexandria is finally kicked out of Iberia. Castile deals the final blow. However, what with their takeover of the Muslim lands, there is now only one way for them to move forward in their conquests. They are allied with the Teutonic Order and Andalusia, so either Aquitaine must lose its Iberian holdings or Galicia must be conquered. Seeing this inevitability (she is an excellent diplomat), Radekza sends a warning to Castile not to start any more wars.

puWVcpk.jpg

In October of 1627, Britain enters its first war in over 30 years. Danmark invades Brunswick, calling in Britain. Also on Brunswick's side is Bar and Franconia. It is not much of a war, what with all three adversaries making a total of 5 provinces.

fX9UuSt.jpg

In fact, Britain gives only moral and material support, as getting to the enemies would mostly require many diplomatic exchanges with nations in the way.

YHmCdkF.jpg

In January of 1629, news arrives in Britain that a Norwegian explorer circumnavigated the globe. The news shocks Europe, since Norge has currently no colonial ambition, as far as anyone can see.

sF1H0xg.jpg

The menial war with Brunswick ends in May. Brunswick is fully annexed by Danmark, and Britain gets a fair amount of gold.

gby1DHf.jpg

That same year Galicia lands a colony mission in eastern North America. The land they settle they name Florida. Despite Britain's and Galicia's alliance, Radekza quietly orders that colonization efforts in North America should be prioritized.

lfoQzMY.jpg

Charter Colonies are approved by Parliament in 1630, and extra colonists are sent to North America.

hDTJpeH.jpg

On the other side of the world, colonization is also becoming a common theme. The primitive nations of Malacca and Brunei have established slow-growing colonies on several Indonesian islands.

QmqhF7n.jpg

In 1635, the Northern colony of Newfoundland becomes large enough to also be granted some autonomy of its own. However, the Empress feels the name is not suitable for this colony. She changes its name and the government of Radekzia is officially created!

yMHMjxm.jpg

In 1640, the world seems at peace. Trade brings in mountains of wealth to Britain, most people are happy and healthy. The colonies are flourishing, and the natives are quietly oppressed. But in western Africa, a monstrosity waits for its chance to strike...

enHoDG3.jpg

NOTE:
-I have been having less and less time to write these, so I may have to start putting them out once every 2 days. Depends on my workload.

My, Europe looks so posed to be divided between a handful of juggernauts. That'll make for some really fun tension in the coming centuries.

Radekzia is an interesting name for this world's Canada. I wonder how it'll do with the looming creation of the real star of this AAR. As for the giant Mali... Well, good opportunity to gain more of Africa's coast.

Been reading this since you started the EUIV portion and this is such a wonderful Alt. I can't wait to see the progression through to the 20th Century.

One question/request. Please fix the the border gore when you get to the Vic2 part. Haha

This truely is a wonderful AAR

My, Europe looks so posed to be divided between a handful of juggernauts. That'll make for some really fun tension in the coming centuries.

Radekzia is an interesting name for this world's Canada. I wonder how it'll do with the looming creation of the real star of this AAR. As for the giant Mali... Well, good opportunity to gain more of Africa's coast.

We will see. Perhaps incorporation???

latest

Problem, Europe?

:p

Been reading this since you started the EUIV portion and this is such a wonderful Alt. I can't wait to see the progression through to the 20th Century.

One question/request. Please fix the the border gore when you get to the Vic2 part. Haha

This truely is a wonderful AAR

Thanks for the support! We will have to see how the borders are when we get there. They are loads better than when the EU4 section began.

Chapter 14 - 1640 to 1650: The 6 Years War

In 1507, Mali, now officially known as the Union of Mali (or West Africa), was a primitive union of tribes. It was made up of dozens of West African tribes united by conquests of King Bankanu, a powerful kingdom in its own right. In Spring of that year, the British arrived.

At first, it was a small trading post in Guinea. But that grew quickly, becoming a colony and eventually encompassing a large part of the coast of West Africa. Soon after, the Teutons showed up as well. Mali kept up good trade relations with the foreign settlers, trading ivory, gold, and slaves. The slaves came from prisoners of war or from raids on neighboring tribes. One reason for the charade of good relations with the European colonies was that Mali, at the time, would have been powerless to stop a full invasion and conquest by Britain or the Teutonic Order. They also were exposed to new technology through their trade dealings and, in the early 1600's, Mali became a westernized nation, a true kingdom.

F4rMhtX.jpg

But Britain has no time to notice the threat in Africa. In June of 1640, several things occurred at once. The King of Danmark died leaving no heir behind. The throne went instead to Empress Radekza. However, Queen-Elector Berta I of Carinthia challenges the inheritance and declares war, claiming the throne for herself. Galicia comes to Britain and Denmark's (the English name for Danmark) aid. Aquitaine, which in recent years has re-allied itself with Britain, refuses the call. Perhaps King Beornræd I is remembering past grievances.

iVbzIHP.jpg

What ever the case, this leaves Britain and her allies to face Carinthia and her allies the Teutonic Order, Norge, and Hungary by itself. Carinthia has now an even more powerful army than ever before, and each of her allies is at the peak of their military might. The war seems a hopeless one.

8Pd3MzB.jpg

Still, Britain must do its best.

The first battle comes in October. A massive Teutonic army of over 50 thousand meets an even larger British and Breton one in Nantes led by Prince Dohaeris. The Teutons are thrown back, but a Carinthian army takes its place. It too is beaten.

sTBfqWF.jpg

UE49zSO.jpg

The first naval battle takes place in the Channel, and it is a British Victory. All 23 Hungarian ships are sent to the sea floor before they can deposit the Hungarian army they carry.

e2Pi2p2.jpg

The next year, Dohaeris leads the armies south into Iberia, setting siege to Bearn. In August, an army of more than 60 thousand Teutons sends the Brits and Bretons fleeing back north.

VEh64At.jpg

They are defeated again in Brittany the following year, and a week later the entire army surrenders in Nantes. Brittany is overrun by Carinthian, Hungarian, and Teutonic armies of 50 thousand each.

5Etp7oM.jpg

Work immediately begins on recruiting new armies, including many mercenary armies. But just as progress begins, more tragedy strikes. Empress Radekza dies, possibly due to stress related illness, and Dohaeris becomes Emperor of Britain. But, just like his mother's his inauguration does not go smoothly. Magraev Guenmon names himself Emperor of Britain and raises 17 thousand followers to seize the throne.

iKqRTl3.jpg

gnHJbAU.jpg

The colonial army of America (8 thousand strong) is called back to join the newly formed armies in defeating this pretender. It never shows up... The entire fleet is sunk by Teutonic ships near Bermuda.

Dohaeris himself leads an army of 18 thousand Mercenaries while General The Number 9 Stigand leads 11 thousand of the new standing army. Magraev 'I' is routed in August of 1642, and his entire army captured, killed, or dispersed a week later in Oxfordshire. The Second War of the Pretender is over nearly as soon as it starts.

aofE8nn.jpg

However, the Danish Succession war is still hot and bloody. Brittany and Normandy are now almost entirely in enemy hands. Denmark is holding up fine, even thoroughly pounding the Norwegians. By the Summer of 1643, 2 substantial armies have been raised, a 36 thousand mercenary army led by the Emperor, and a 23 thousand Brit army led by Stigand. Instead of attempting to take back the lands across the Channel, which are considered lost for the war, the two armies are sailed to Denmark to help with her southern defenses and the war with Norge.

Norge surrenders in November, promising to annul all treaties with Carinthia as well as renounce their claims on Orkney and the Shetland Islands. They also hand over a good deal of gold.

sAZRgcT.jpg

The army strikes again in May the following year, defeating Carinthian army in Lubeck.

itjqq3T.jpg

In 1645, Galicia peaces out after a valiant struggle with a much larger neighbor. They pay a monetary price and monthly reparations, and they annul all treaties with Britain.

WUU2WxU.jpg

In July, French Separatists rise in revolt in Normandy and Alencon, hoping to take this moment of British weakness to gain independence.

P86MVM1.jpg

By the end of July, the war is going just as poorly, and Dohaeris signs a humiliating separate peace with the Teutons. He cedes over two of Britain's African colonies and returns Iceland to Norge. After over a quarter of a millennium in the Empire, Iceland goes back to the Vikings.

U2qZcAU.jpg

But that leaves Carinthia and Hungary on their own. Still a fearsome enemy, this is something Britain should be able to handle. For now, Dohaeris prioritizes the defense of Denmark.

After a defeat in Lubeck, Hungary also pulls out of the war. They accept Britain's offer of a small pile of gold.

esEOFk1.jpg

IKSAAbO.jpg

In February of 1646, the British armies of 50 thousand, led by Dohaerish and Stigand, collide withe 30 thousand Carinthians. In the first charge, Dohaerish is knocked down by a musket shot to his shoulder. He dies within hours. His cousin, Scottisha II, is made Empress of Britain. No pretender rises to challenge the new empress

iH5IXXl.jpg

Despite their Emperor's death, the armies still defeat the Carinthians in Holstein. In her predecessor's stead, Scottisha takes control of the Mercenary army.

1UdyGFV.jpg

The Peace of Holstein is signed on the 24th of November, 1646. Lotharingia mediates the treaty. Denmark will remain in a union with Britain.

Epnxhvg.jpg

The 6 Years War saw the death of hundreds of thousands of soldiers. It also saw the pillaging and destruction of countless villages, towns, and cities, mainly by mercenary troops. Its effects do not end their, however. By the end of the war, Normandy is in uproar. 80 thousand rebels are swarming the provinces, and the British forts cannot hold out much longer.

The Empire is also in debt, a debt that could take decades to pay off. As taxes begin to be raised even higher, public outcry goes to a new level. Parliament, in 1647, signs the Petition of Rights to prevent the Emperor or Empress from creating or raising taxes without the consent of the Parliament (and therefore the people).

3LE6x04.png

Soon after, heir to the throne Must Love Cats is born.

zLfRxAA.jpg

In May of 1647, the French regain their independence. Britain is forced out of France, returning Alencon, Normandy, and Caux to French governance. Despite an initial feeling of victory after the 6 Years War, British moral has never been lower.

JGsnYTc.jpg

At the end of the decade, things are looking up. The debt is disappearing faster than expected, trade is now near to pre-war levels, and new armies are being assembled. Looking back, the 1640's were a decade of immense change for not just the empire, but all of Europe. Europe's top dog, Britain, was thrown from its pedestal of power, Carinthia was crippled militarily and diplomatically, and large chunks of the Empire were handed back to old enemies.

ysmlZk6.jpg

Europe holds its breath and hopes that the 6 Years War will be the last of its kind.

NOTE:
-Had the day off, hope you all enjoy this extra long chapter.
-And I hope DENMARK is happy at all the work I put in to keep them de Gael.

The 6 Years War was just rough... Losing the African territory was bad, but losing Iceland after it being a part of the Empire for so long is rather depressing. Denmark better be grateful.

Seeing France reborn is surprising, but I doubt they'll last long on their own. They either need to find good allies or they'll be conquered.

As for a Westernized Mali of that size... Impressive. Who knows, maybe they'll be the main powerhouse of Africa.

Those brave soldiers died, knowing that their magniicent nation lives on despite some temporary setbacks. Fight on Britain!

We'll have our revenge soon enough, I'm sure.

The 6 Years War was just rough... Losing the African territory was bad, but losing Iceland after it being a part of the Empire for so long is rather depressing. Denmark better be grateful.

Seeing France reborn is surprising, but I doubt they'll last long on their own. They either need to find good allies or they'll be conquered.

As for a Westernized Mali of that size... Impressive. Who knows, maybe they'll be the main powerhouse of Africa.

That's what I am guessing will happen, Mali will be the superpower of Africa

Those brave soldiers died, knowing that their magniicent nation lives on despite some temporary setbacks. Fight on Britain!

But those who lived know that all that was gained was the Union with Denmark. Many colonies were lost.

We'll have our revenge soon enough, I'm sure.

Europe better watch out...

We lost Iceland? Nooooo!!! We should strive to cut down Norge and retake it! But no rush, we have the time.

They are in the middle of a crisis right now. Looks like Sweden could possibly resurface in the coming years.

Emperor Dohaeris' reign was short and bitter, it seems, though no doubt 'Must Love Cats' will strike fear into our enemy's hearts :p

Seriously though, that Mali looks interesting. Is there any chance of them challenging the European powers in South America?