EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If Starnan knows his HRE mechanics there is a way to completely dismantle-proof the empire with 2 button clicks.

Hint: you cannot declare on a prince while at war with the emperor.

I was going to write this, but assumed it must have changed for Kaiser to say that. But in truth, this mechanic pisses me off. I can get not declaring on a prince while allied with the Emperor and in a war with them as such, but not when you are at war with the Emperor. Is it because you can't be at the same war with the same country twice and the Emperor is autocalled?

we're assuming the devs understand the mechanics.

Now there does exist a rather bizarre bug feature with attacking revoked HRE vassals (one can console test this in 1.25) that would allow KaiserJohan to eat the entire HRE peacemeal without calling Austria in, unless Starnan knows correct mechanical counterplay.

Is it because you can't be at the same war with the same country twice and the Emperor is autocalled?
It isn't even an autocall. There are valid mechanical reasons for this mechanic to exist, though.

More hints: all Starnan needs to do is set up a situation where if any elector is attacked, he will automatically join the war, but not with all electors. Since the remaining elector thus cannot be declared on and thus occupied, dismantle is impossible in such a scenario.

we're assuming the devs understand the mechanics.

Now there does exist a rather bizarre bug feature with attacking revoked HRE vassals (one can console test this in 1.25) that would allow KaiserJohan to eat the entire HRE peacemeal without calling Austria in, unless Starnan knows correct mechanical counterplay.

It isn't even an autocall. There are valid mechanical reasons for this mechanic to exist, though.

More hints: all Starnan needs to do is set up a situation where if any elector is attacked, he will automatically join the war, but not with all electors. Since the remaining elector thus cannot be declared on and thus occupied, dismantle is impossible in such a scenario.

Not really sure what you are trying to say with all of those "hints" as you seem to assume we don't know the mechanics. Obviously using "Scutage" on a couple of electors will keep some of them out of the war and thus independant to prevent dismantling the HRE. Also, I'm pretty sure, that the devs won't use bugs/eploits on a developer clash, so attacking electors/HRE vassals individually will most likely not happen :p It doesn't matter anyway, since the big war already started and the winner probably takes the entire game.

Not really sure what you are trying to say with all of those "hints" as you seem to assume we don't know the mechanics. Obviously using "Scutage" on a couple of electors will keep some of them out of the war and thus independant to prevent dismantling the HRE. Also, I'm pretty sure, that the devs won't use bugs/eploits on a developer clash, so attacking electors/HRE vassals individually will most likely not happen :p It doesn't matter anyway, since the big war already started and the winner probably takes the entire game.

They have used a couple bugs/exploits in previous dev clashes from what i remember.

Last edited:
I remember the commentators saying once that the rule was, if you found an exploit, you were allowed to use it ONCE, then you had to report it and get it fixed. The rules could've changed since then though.

unless Starnan knows correct mechanical counterplay.

The correct mechanical counterplay is to annihilate the Kaiser on the battlefield.

They have used a couple bugs/exploits in previous dev clashes from what i remember.
Generally you get to use an unknown exploit once as long as you report it immediately afterwards.

When an exploit is known and to be fixed (like the "attack HRE vassals and the HRE doesn't get called in" exploit someone mentioned), they get explicitly mentioned as "don't do this" in the weekly Dev MP email. Doesn't happen too often, but is the case this time with that particular exploit.

Last edited:
Generally you get to use an unknown feature once as long as you report it immediately afterwards.

When an features is known and to be fixed (like the "like the entire HRE mechanic" feature someone mentioned), they get explicitly mentioned as "don't do this" in the weekly Dev MP email. Doesn't happen too often, but is the case this time with that particular feature.
I cant say for earlier seasons but we have rules against using features.
Fix those for you.;) Remember no bugs/exploits, only features.:cool: In terms of the HRE, its a class cannon as i mention in the past, if StarNaN lose this war, he could possibly everything,whilst Ottoman have plenty of unstated Russian lands to state for his lose.

dev clash.png

Design & Art done by me.

That's eight capitals, which would need to be sieged down. Not an easy task when outnumbered 2:1 :p
Not to mention that Starnan probably would press the unification button if that ever became a danger. Though it might be that you need to be at peace to do that. Not sure.

If Starnan knows his HRE mechanics there is a way to completely dismantle-proof the empire with 2 button clicks.

Hint: you cannot declare on a prince while at war with the emperor.

...then again "knowing mechanics" might be too big a feat of the imagination...
Isn't all electors already at war with the Byzzies though?

The exploit that vaguely came to mind when i wrote that comment was Morocco's early circumnavigation of the world in a previous dev clash. (Which was an unknown bug at the time of that patch) :)
I must have missed that. What was that bug about?

Don't you need to be at peace when passing Imperial Reforms?

Can't argue with the results of this strategy. ;)

Probably a good learning experience for most participants: Leaving the Starnan to get stronk doing singleplayer all game is not a good idea. :D

Our armies have waged glorious war for centuries now. Time to teach these upstart barbarian rookies a lession :cool:

Can't argue with the results of this strategy. ;)

Probably a good learning experience for most participants: Leaving the Starnan to get stronk doing singleplayer all game is not a good idea. :D

In any game, the more players there are, the less advantageous it is to slow yourself to punish the winner. This game would have been very different if the western powers which looked so strong at first had actually focused on their own blobbing and merely worked to try stifling/slowing KJ rather than massive punitive efforts that caused everyone involved to stall. You can't let yourself slump early into a game like this.

Austria made the right (if boring) play. He out-blobbed the blobber. Had he crushed him early game he likely would be much weaker now while someone else of the dozens of other players could have excelled instead.

If you wanna win in any ffa game vs numerous opponents you have to primarily play to win, not play to make others lose.