• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FrogCrusher

Colonel
42 Badges
Feb 22, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello all great eu4 players. It's shame but after more than 1000 hours I haven't yet figured out what are the conditions to ask for concede colonial nations.
Can someone explain to me how to dow or called a defender (cobeligerent or not?) that will allow me to take all those Spanish, Portuguese an English colonies :mad: ?
Thank you :p

Reactions:
Cossacks patch notes (1.14):

Concede Colonial Area: Added a new peace option available when you have a Colonial Nation to take all provinces owned by the enemy in that region.

From my memory, this seems to work exactly as it's mentioned there. ;)

Cossacks patch notes (1.14):

Concede Colonial Area: Added a new peace option available when you have a Colonial Nation to take all provinces owned by the enemy in that region.

From my memory, this seems to work exactly as it's mentioned there. ;)
Not at all. It happened to me very often to not have this option even with a colonial nation in that region.

EDIT : however, I'm pretty sure that condition is indeed necessary ;)

Last edited:
Your CN or colony must neighbour their CN or colony for colonialism CB to be in effect. If it does I think you can demand concede colonial area/nation even in a regual conquest war.

Just clicked this option for fun in a peace deal yesterday. I was Al Andalus, attacking Aragon with France as Defender of Faith. I am a colonial power, but not in Eastern North America. In a separate peace deal with France I was able to demand concessions in Canada and Eastern US. I had nowhere a colony near that. The closest one was Mississippi delta. The result was that I got 2 unfinished french colonies, one in each aforementioned regions.

My conclusion (at least as a muslim nation) is that it only gives you either unfinished or finished colonies of the colonizer (in this case France) and has little to do with colonial nations of the same overlord.

This is just going from memory, but since there doesn't seem to be a clearer answer;

I'm pretty sure I only get the "concede colonial region" option when I declare a colonial war by using the casus belli of my nation owning a colony next to a colonial overlords colony. This is usually best by sending your colonist next to your enemies unfinished colonies or in Africa / Indonesia.

Using a CB based on your colonial nations only gives the option of taking the enemies provinces your colonial nation physicaly borders.

And yes, for a feature that was supposed to be new and a big deal it is criminally confusing to use.

I'm 100% sure you don't have to declare a colonial CB war to have this option. However, since in my example France was a Defender of Faith, when clicking this option I got only the colonies I had under my control (i.e. sieged down). Presumably, If I had provinces Nouvelle Flandre and French Canada sieged down, I would've had their provinces added to this option as well.

If comments on reddit and Paradox's own expansion notes are correct, two things that this option provides (over just manually clicking the colonies) is that it:
a) makes it easier to demand multiple colonial provinces
b) prevents the target colonizer from colonizing in the same region while the truce holds

What is not true, however, is that you need to have a colonial nation in the same area. Perhaps "on same continent" is the real trigger, but can't be sure without further testing.

Or i just encountered a bug that under special circumstances allows demanding colonies without having a colonial nation in the same colonial region.

There is one more gigantic aspect to "cede region" ; it gives away a huge amount of land without paying diplo points for provinces that aren't part of the war goal under usual circumstances.
When you're 2 big colonizers warring in the late game, you can either cede regions and get a entire continent for 100 warscore, or you can take only the 10 - 20 bordering provinces for free and have to pay diplo points for the rest.

I am also pretty sure I had this option without colonialism CB.
The thing about the truce is very interesting. I'll be careful with this on my next wars. It could be I can't take CN to Portugal when at war with Spain when the truce between Portugal and me is running.

There is one more gigantic aspect to "cede region" ; it gives away a huge amount of land without paying diplo points for provinces that aren't part of the war goal under usual circumstances.
When you're 2 big colonizers warring in the late game, you can either cede regions and get a entire continent for 100 warscore, or you can take only the 10 - 20 bordering provinces for free and have to pay diplo points for the rest.
That's exactly my point, and that's why I want to know in advance if this option will be available or not for the peace deal :)
It happened to me to manage a huge war to see at the end I didn't have access to "cede CN" :( :(

That's exactly my point, and that's why I want to know in advance if this option will be available or not for the peace deal :)
It happened to me to manage a huge war to see at the end I didn't have access to "cede CN" :( :(

Try getting a colony (even undeveloped) next to your enemies colony (it also doesn't have to be developed)
Then declare war on him for that province.
That war should have the cede regions option.
Counterintuitevly, at no point do the enemies colonial subjects have anything to do with getting this option in the war negotiations screen.

You don't have to declare a colonial war. In my current Portugal campaign I have been able to take very sizable colonial nations from Spain and France. I used the nationalism CB against Spain and the imperialism CB against France. I think you just need to have a colonial nation that either borders them or is in the same region. Rio de Plata was not an option the first time I fought Spain, but after I took Peru from them it was an option the next time around.

Basically, I've taken about 1/4 of the western hemisphere in 3 different wars for what amounts to about 50 war score combined. I do have 100 absolutism, but I'm not sure how that affects conceding regions.

You don't have to declare a colonial war. In my current Portugal campaign I have been able to take very sizable colonial nations from Spain and France. I used the nationalism CB against Spain and the imperialism CB against France. I think you just need to have a colonial nation that either borders them or is in the same region. Rio de Plata was not an option the first time I fought Spain, but after I took Peru from them it was an option the next time around.

Basically, I've taken about 1/4 of the western hemisphere in 3 different wars for what amounts to about 50 war score combined. I do have 100 absolutism, but I'm not sure how that affects conceding regions.

Did you use a "cede colonial region" option for the land or did you just take the provinces in a peace deal the old fashioned way?

Did you use a "cede colonial region" option for the land or did you just take the provinces in a peace deal the old fashioned way?

I used "Concede Brazil", "Concede California", "Concede Peru", "Concede Rio de Plata", and "Concede Pacifico Norte". I had to take California and Peru in one war before Pacifico Norte and Rio de Plata were options in a second war. I think you just need to have a colonial nation that borders theirs.

Last edited:
I used "Concede Brazil", "Concede California", "Concede Peru", "Concede Rio de Plata", and "Concede Pacifico Norte". I had to take California and Peru in one war before Pacifico Norte and Rio de Plata were options in a second war. I think you just need to have a colonial nation that borders theirs.

I believe this is true. Recently finished a war vs England where I used the Imperalism CB. England had a Louisiana colony + Newfoundland + 13 Colonies. I only had a Louisiana colony in the area. At the end I was only able to select concede the Louisiana territory and had to select individual provinces in the other 2 colonies. Hopefully next war I can have the Brits concede the rest.

This is just going from memory, but since there doesn't seem to be a clearer answer;

I'm pretty sure I only get the "concede colonial region" option when I declare a colonial war by using the casus belli of my nation owning a colony next to a colonial overlords colony. This is usually best by sending your colonist next to your enemies unfinished colonies or in Africa / Indonesia.
That is wrong.
I used this today just for fun in my Japan game against an opm Comanche. Forged a normal claim and did a normal claim war, it was NOT a colonial war. Instead of taking their province normally I let them concede the region. I already had a colonial nation in that region.