Cannot use hegemony wargoal against federation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scaper12123

Lt. General
41 Badges
May 13, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
So I ran into a frustrating situation in my most recent multiplayer game. I was a hegemony start and wanted to conquer my neighbor, who completely outclassed me in tech thanks to his federation, and add him to the hegemony. Unfortunately, when I attempted to declare a war of hegemony upon him the option was absent. After confirming I could declare such wars by checking with another, non-federated empire, I realized that the problem was that he was already in a federation and apparently you can't just drag them into your hegemony if that's the case.

Intended or not, this vastly interferes with the ability to play hegemony in multiplayer since most players will naturally gravitate towards federations, and the hegemony start is already difficult to work with. I suppose the workaround right now would be to declare a war of vassalization, but this feels like a major oversight. I'd report it as a bug, but I'm unsure if it was intentional design in which case: Please, change this!

Vassals do automatically join as members of a Hegemony; the option to prevent it is not available to that type of federation.

Incidentally, I think this is where Feudal Society could shine. I'm running such an empire currently, see, and my vassal is basically functioning as a full fledged member of my Hegemony.

Alternatively, if you don't want to run Feudal Society, you could run a vassalization war and then release them from being your subject... If I understand the game as well as I should, they will remain members of your Hegemony unless or until they break free by war.