• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He's been very, very naughty. I'll tell more in my next update.

Oh dear :) this is going to end badly I can feel it.

House Baratheon
xr3n6hW.jpg

(174-175 AL)
ted%20nasmith_a%20song%20of%20ice%20and%20fire_storms%20end_med.jpg

Andrew felt like a giant dressed ham. The days after Lord Baratheon return feast were cold, wet and quiet. That wasn't why Andrew was bundled up, Maester Pate had made sure that all the children, and Nobles of Storm's end, especially anyone who was in contact with Cassandra were no longer allowed to show any skin or go the Baratheon Apartments without being checked.

nrO31JC.png

None wanted to tell Andrew but he had been present when he saw the Maester look at her arm, how the skin had turned Black and Grey like a lizard. After that Maester Pate took a very serious tone, with everyone. Those that did not leave the Keep had to wear big bundled clothing that made everyone look big fat bears. Now the great hall was empty, save for a servant occasionally ducking into the room and then out. At the head lied the Storm Throne, empty and dark and the room was quiet, save the for the sound of Thunder once and a while.

A black haired boy had come into the hall and looked at the Throne he looked like a great black and red furball from how he was bundled up. "My Father's is Bigger" he spoke. It was Prince Vaeron, who had come to be fostered in Storm's End by Lord Tranced.

Andrew looked up, he was reading a book about the history of the Vale his uncle Arion had given him, likely taken from some Valeman keep. The Prince turned his head, "I don't think we have met? Your Lord Baratheon's Son?" the little Dragonling spoke, and turned, though he was too far away to offer a hand. Andrew blinked, he didn't want to get up and say hello if it could be helped, but it was the prince and his Father had told him to be nice "I'm Andrew, nice to meet you"

rsHjmod.png

"I just saw you sister, she doesn't look well" The young prince spoke, "You should take her to King's Landing, the Grand Maester can heal anything!'" he finished, with a hint of pride.

Be nice to the Prince echo'd in Andrew's head. Maester Pate was a fine Maester but he was no Grand Maester, still Andrew felt himself getting defensive, after all Maester Pate was the only one who spoke to him certain days, he had taught him to read and write and told him stories. Be Nice to the Prince

"I'm sure he can" Andrew spoke but then blinked when he heard the own tone of his voice.

"What's that supposed to mean?" The Prince said. "Your own Maester couldn't even save your Uncle from some broken glass"

Andrew frowned and stood up. Be nice to the Prince "Thats none of your Business"

"It is when I can get Greyscale, I'm Second in line for the Throne! I'm Important!"

The Prince sounded both scared, and maybe annoyed. Andrew didn't care which he was already starting to regret opening his mouth. Though it quickly became apparent that ignoring the Prince was just as bad an effect as it stood seating waiting for a response. Was he waiting for a fight?

"Hey what's going on here?" spoke a third voice, Lomas. Lomas wasn't bundled up at all, and was in his normal clothes. When Maester Pate ordered him to bundle up he did, but now it appears he took them off and as his brother walked up to the Table Andrew noticed he could smell smoke He burnt them.

"Brother, why aren't you wearing a coat" Andre asked, further ignoring the Prince.

"If Father isn't scared then I won't be either" He answered.

"Your Brother?, Oh you must be Lomas" the Prince spoke, trying to get attention.

Lomas ignored the Prince as well instead focusing on his brother, "Come on you shouldn't be reading, we should be there for Cass, Maester Pate says she's getting worse"

Andrew looked up and blinked "Worse?" he spoke, nervous. From his Brother's face he could tell, but still he answered "It spread to her hand, Maester Pate is giving her another bath right now, then he's going to try and.. Burn the Hand"

pUH8xJd.png

The Prince "Hey, I'm talking to you!" the prince said, he had approached the table and had turned a faint pink red then spoke again as he caught the end of Lom's sentence. "You just came from her Room?"

Lomas turned recoiling from the sound. He looked as if he didn't expect a third person in the room, so focused was he on his brother instead. "Yes, Yes I did"

Andrew spoke up "Lom... Be Nice to the Prince" he uttered, about to close his book, but it was too late, Lom had shoved the Prince, and soon the little Black Furball had jumped back at him. "Lom! Lom! Stop!" Andrew yelled, if a bit futile.

The Fight was quick, and clear, the Prince had tried to shove Lomas back only to be sidestepped as Lomas heard the word "Prince". Vaeron tumbled to the ground face first, yelling in pain. "My Nose, Ouch my Nose" the prince spoke, His voice distorted in pain.

Lomas laughed at the sound and smirked but Andrew leaped up to help the Prince back to his feet. "I'm so sorry" he spoke, apologizing for his brother but the Prince slapped away his hand and ran off, crying.

Andrew turned to his brother, who still had an arrogant smirk on his face. The prince was a spoiled brat maybe but he didn't deserve to be hurt. "That was Cruel Lom". His Brother shook his head "He had it coming"

The two of them stood there, for a full minute before a Man came in, wet with rain and carrying a message. "Boys, where is your father?" he spoke. Andrew recognized the Moon and Sun on his soaked clothing, they were the emblems of Lord Tarth, Terrance Toyne's replacement Master at Arms. "Lord Tarth has been Murdered boys, Poisoned in his sleep, please this is urgent"

Xk7d0fH.png

House Tarth had gone extinct that week, leaving the Sapphire Isle in the hands of Corwen Baratheon, Son of Arion of Yronwood and Brienne of Tarth

--------------------------------------------------

King Daeron trying to summon an 'old one'

The Wild Garden of Lyonel the Decedent about to turn on itself.

House Lannister out for Blood.

A King Beyond the Wall bearing down on the Realms of men.

And Disease, Assassination and Rebellion in The Stormlands and Dorne.

You could say Westeros is in for one hell of a Storm ;)

Last edited:
-snip-
The Wild Garden of Lyonel the Decedent about to turn on itself.
-snip-
Crap, I really wish I'd thought of that.
Ugghh.
Anyway, 10/10 on the summary.

House Targaryen
178 - 180 AL
Chapter 11
--
.. And so it has come to be.

What my ancestor King Aegon Targaryen, the First of His Name, so many years ago left undone is now finished. The Kingdom of Dorne, last remnant of an era long passed, is finally brought under Targaryen banner to be ruled from the Iron Throne. The entire continent of Westeros is united under a single ruler, a sovereign whose aim is to bring on a time of prosperity for his people. It is a promise I made myself atop Ghost Hill for the sake of others, so those who had served under me would not have to witness such horrors as we did in conquering Dorne. But although some speak of the war as a great victory over the Dornish, it is my firm belief that in the end they are the ones who truly won. As time would tell.

As I write these words I am on my way to Oldtown, where my ancestor Aegon Targaryen was officially proclaimed the first King of Seven Kingdoms. His legacy is mine now to preserve and I simply did my duty by finishing what he started. Make no mistake: my achievements pale in comparison to his. He forged an empire, I simply extended its borders. While he did what he did with the aid of three dragons, it is untrue that I succeeded in my efforts without. Mine were as formidable as the legendary Vhagar, Meraxes and Balerion. Their names were Lannister, Tully, Stark, Baratheon, Tyrell and Hightower. Just as loyal, just as fierce - and now bound into a brotherhood by the blood that was shed and by the future that we together forged.

'Conquest of Dorne'
King Daeron of House Targaryen, the First of His Name. King of the Andals, the First Men and the Rhoynar. Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.
--

9UyVgss.png

(After being reduced to high lords, the Martells rebelled against their newly-appointed Baratheon overlords, only to be put down along with those still loyal to the former Prince of Dorne. Hopes for an independent Dorne died the same day Prince Marence Martell was sent to the Wall, where he later died at an early age of 32.)

A sensation of nostalgia surged through me as I read the last lines of my memoir from a time long passed when I was still but a boy with dreams of great future and even greater glory. What I had written had been copied many times over during the past two decades and spread across the realm. Not every king fancied both sword and pen after all. But then again I was not like those before me. A scholar and a soldier, but not a ruler, my conscience reminded me. I refused to admit those thoughts as my own and closed the book before me.

''Lady Rhaenyra and the architect await, uncle.''

Words from the lips of Ser Jace Waters, my sister Daena's bastard son with Ser Dagur Saltcliffe. At times I felt like I did not deserve being called a relative of his. I was his uncle, true, but also the one who had robbed him of his mother. Daena's death was not something I ever sought for, nor did the Dragonknight desire to kill Ser Dagur - but we both did what we had to, as I knew Ser Jace would. With the situation changed in the Iron Islands and House Saltcliffe having suffered worse than many of their kin, there was no place for Jace among them. Bywater would have been an option; young lordling Pate Kingswood had been married to my sister. After her death he had fallen to depression; a sign he more than cared for her. But they were strangers to Jace, even if his mother had given birth to two dark-haired children.

Of all the options he had, my nephew had chosen to remain in the Red Keep. I gave him new purpose in the shape of a white cloak, recently left behind by Ser Joffrey Staunton who had departed from this world. Ser Jace's new lifelong task was to aid his father's killer in defending his mother's killer. Perhaps my nephew was as mad as some claimed. Or maybe my old squire wanted to make up for the sins of his parents. His life could've been forfeit twice, had I chosen to punish him for Daena's and Dagur's mistakes. But instead I had seen to his education and made sure he always had roof above his head and a place at my table.

''Let them in', I told Ser Jace and watched him nod slightly and quietly leave the room.

I raised him like my own. In other life, he might've been Prince Jacaerys Targaryen. But in this, he is but Ser Jace Waters - a princess's bastard. He had not been the only royal bastard at court. Another had served beside him as my squire, Baelon Waters. My late mother, Queen Daenara Velaryon had given birth to two bastard children. But the eldest of my two half-siblings, Baelon, had chosen to leave for the Wall after I knighted him.

j0txjcT.png
hwI5L8j.png

Lady Rhaenyra Waters was younger of the two. Her training had begun under Hand of the King, Prince Viserys Targaryen. After his murder by Lord Bradwell Hightower, Lady Sansa Stark had taken over young Rhaenyra's education. She had been well schooled in the ways of the court, and seeing her talent I chose to put it to use. She now served me in Small Council as the newly-appointed Master of Coin. It was her work that brought her to my office, this time accompanied by a man with a certain sets of skills I had need of.

''My king'', Lady Rhaenyra spoke with a curtsey. ''This is Maegor Azantys, recently arrived from Volantis. '' I looked at the man before me, realizing he was younger than I but still twice the age I was when I invaded Dorne. He took a step forward and bowed his head, proceeding with the language of Old Valyria, ''My contract came to an end not long ago. I was commissioned to plan and overseer construction of a bath house, worthy of those with the Old Blood. It was finished in time, but my employer refused to meet the terms that we had agreed upon. Blood of Old Valyria flows in my veins, but they did not permit me to enter the Black Walls and live with my kind. So I have come to those I deem purer, in hopes that my services will me more appreciated here than on the other side of the Narrow Sea.''

I exchanged glances with my half-sister, whose attraction to the foreigner was all too easy for me to notice. Then I turned to the man before me, continuing, ''There is work to be done here and I assure you that you will be rewarded greatly for your service, should you be interested in what I have in mind.'' As I began to explain my plans, I saw enthusiasm grow in the man's eyes. It was not every day he was offered a contract like this, that of building a summer house for a king and his family.

rcO8J45.png
IDjPs0v.png

O7XTPcH.png

Rebuilding Blackheart, former seat of House Toyne, was not the most important thing I had at hand. But even in times of peril one must focus on the future, and this minor project could proceed as I deal with matters that concerned all of Westeros. The most important of them right now was the murder of my Hand, Lord Lyonel Tyrell, and the war that it had caused.

It all began with Lord Jaesin Lannister sending me a letter, saying he had something to discuss with me in private and that he would start a journey to King's Landing. He was welcomed to the capital, but before an audience with me he proved true to his reputation, first suggesting a friendly duel with Lord Lyonel Tyrell. I was there before they began their fight, to share the last words I would have with my Hand, even if I did not know it at the time. Lord Lyonel confessed that he might not prove as valiant opponent as me might have in his youth. My reply to him was that I no longer was a Young Dragon either. Time was catching up to us, but during the time we had been given we together had accomplished much and more. This was the man who had won me the Conquest of Dorne. This was the man who always answered my summons, to be the first present where swords were needed. He had fought beside me in Yronwood, Sunspear and Casterly Rock. But I was not by his side in his last fight. I told Lord Jaesin to come meet me after they were done, unaware of the bloody end their duel would have.

I was told that Lord Lyonel surrendered after Lord Jaesin prevailed. But instead of accepting the Hand's surrender, he sank his Valyrian steel sword Brightroar into his opponent. What was supposed to be a friendly duel ended in blood and death. Years had not been enough to mend old wounds, and Jaesin Lannister avenged the death of his brother and father with sword in hand. Had the duel been done in private, Lord Jaesin could've easily just walked to meet me, to end the life of the other man who had caused his family much suffering. But it was not. Many witnessed the fall of the Hand, and so Lord Jaesin was immediately arrested and taken to the dungeons of Red Keep. The daughter of Rylla Tyrell, Annet, had served as a ward to her grand-father in the capital. After his death I chose to take my future daughter-in-law under my protection.

I sent a letter to Rylla Tyrell, informing her of her father's death. Not long after that, dark wings brought other news to Highgarden. Lord Jon Hightower of Oldtown demanded that his wife, Lady Jeona, would be named as her late father's successor. With all claimants being women, the succession of Reach was unclear. Lady Rylla was the eldest of her siblings but she had not given birth to any sons unlike Lady Jeona, the second daughter of Lord Lyonel. Despite the friendship between Lady Rylla and Lord Jon, the Reach was soon to fall into a civil war. To distinguish the opposing sides from another, it was soon that Lady Rylla was called the Black Rose and her sister Lady Jeona the White Rose.

3NYc3h5.png

(Jon Hightower started a war for the claim of his wife, Lady Jeona Hightower née Tyrell, over Reach. This act sparked a conflict that later would be called 'War of the Roses')

Chaos soon gripped all of Westeros in its grasp. In the North Lord Rickon Stark stood on thin ice after the death of Cregan Stark. As the new Lord of Winterfell rode North to deal with a man who called himself King Beyond the Wall, the Skagosi seized the moment and crowned their ruler king. The Sisters also took up arms against their overlords. But worst of all, my brother-in-law Jonnel Stark had gathered sellswords to his cause and meant to place himself at the head of Winterfell - with force, if need be.

At the same time the war in Reach had taken a turn to worse. House Hightower fielded less men than the Tyrells, and perhaps seeing Lord Jon as only a small problem, Rylla Tyrell marched with twenty thousand men to Westerlands, to avenge his father's death with fire and sword. At the same time Lord Kermit Tully declared war against the Tyrells, hoping to place late Lord Lyonel's sister Mylleria, wife of Kermit's own son Torren, as Lady of Highgarden. The Reachmen marching north prepared to intercept the invading Riverlanders before they arrived on their soil.

Lord Jaesin Lannister lay in the dungeons of the Red Keep. His daughter by my sister Rhaena, Lenora Lannister, took charge of the defences of her homelands. She allied with the Hightowers, and together the might of Westerlands and Oldtown descended upon the invading Reachman army to deal the first defeat to Lady Rylla Tyrell in her whole life. Sometime around then the Tyrells allied themselves with the Tullys, who instead of marching to war for Mylleria Tyrell's claim joined Rylla Tyrell in defence of her rightful place as Lady of Highgarden. Later to my much regret I learned that this turn of sides was done because Lord Kermit Tully was promised Oldtown and its surrounding lands as a reward for his assistance in the ongoing war. But the Riverlander army was trapped in Golden Tooth, trying to fight their way through the mountain pass. Their arrival came too late for Rylla Tyrell, who lost some twenty thousand men and was forced to retreat south to her other host.

Some later questioned why I chose to do nothing to prevent the war or to stop it. It matters not. What efforts I made were in vain, until another attempt was made on my life. The scar across my face reminded me daily of what I had had to suffer through because of Lord Bradwell Hightower. This time, however, I was more fortunate. I had descended among the common folk of my city, accompanied by several guards and whitecloaks. Suddenly we were under attack, with arrows being shot at us from rooftops and hired cutthroats roaming the streets, thirsty for king's blood. Many of my companions fell, but Ser Aleyn Florent of the Kingsguard valiantly held his ground and led the defence, forcing the attackers to abandon their cause.

Some of the culprits escaped, but many were later captured by Commander Sarmion Baratheon's men. Under interrogation they revealed to have been hired by my former squire, Lord Alton Greyjoy. His father Lord Veron died in dungeons of the Red Keep, after which I had released the son in hopes that he had learned from his father's mistakes. My hopes once again were in vain. The young Greyjoy was imprisoned and brought to the capital, where he confessed that my cousin Lady Baela Velaryon had been plotting alongside him. She was also imprisoned to the dismay of her father, Alyn the Oakenshield. Lord Alton was sent to join the Night's Watch, his lands and titles passing to his young son Donel, but Lady Baela remained under house arrest in Red Keep.

After hearing that the king himself had been attempted to murder, all sides of the civil war of Reach agreed to a truce and traveled to King's Landing. In an attempt to avenge the death of his father, Rylla Tyrell had brought the Westerlands to the war. I offered her to see justice, but not by war. When Lord Kermit Tully, Lady Lenora Lannister, Lord Jon Hightower, Lady Rylla Tyrell and Lord Tranced Baratheon arrived to the capital, it was time to begin the trial of the murderer of the Hand.
FZRLTOa.png
IwkFvRU.png

''I killed him'', Lord Jaesin Lannister declared boldly. The man stood before the Iron Throne under my watchful eyes and those of the most powerful nobles of Westeros, showing no signs of guilt or regret. Lady Rylla Tyrell stood in silence, staying her hand. Lord Tranced Baratheon was just as unamused, ''Don't bother telling us you did it because of what happened to your father and brother.'' Lord Loreon Lannister's madness and cruelty was well known throughout Westeros, and he had gotten what he deserved. If there was something I regretted, it was that I had not personally wielded the sword that removed his head from his body.

''I am innocent in the eyes of gods and men, as I will prove with sword in hand'', Lord Jaesin declared. I but shaked my head, ''I have consulted your actions with the High Septon, who writes that by what you did you turned your back to the Gods. As the Faith has done to you.'' Bold like a lion, Jaesin replied with distaste, ''You're a fucking coward.''

''Trial by combat is reserved to nobles'', I spoke calmly, trying not to let his provokes affect my judgement. ''With your words, you have shown us all that you clearly are not one.'' Lord Tranced Baratheon, true to his nickname, was the only one to stand by the accused. ''Yet he has that right, your Grace.'' Shaking my head, I asked Jaesin a question that emerged from the depths of my heart. ''You fought beside me in Dorne. How has it come to this?''

''I could ask you the same'', Jaesin Lannister replied. ''When did you stop being a warrior?''

The throne room fell silent. The accused stared at me defiantly, and I turned my gaze to those present. If I chose to let him provoke and insult me, I would suffer a great blow to my reputation. If I accepted Jaesin's challenge but chose someone to fight in my stead, he would not be satisfied. If he won, the realm would bleed. I dared not risk the Dragonknight in such a fight in his condition; Lord Jaesin was one of the best swordsmen in all of Westeros. Only one option remained for me.

I rose from my cold, grim seat and turned to Lord Tranced. ''Lord Baratheon. This is a fight I must face by myself, like years ago with the Arryns.'' I looked at my sons Aemon, Aidun and Vaeron. All stood in silence, knowing what it meant if I lost. ''Should I fall, I want you to rule in my son's place until he is old enough. If you would have it, I would name you Lord Protector of the Realm and Hand of the King.''

''You do me great honor, your Grace.'' I nodded, satisfied that he had taken my offer. With Lord Arryn too young to rule in his own name and the loyalty of his house in question, with Rickon Stark dealing with the internal problems of the North and all other Lord Paramounts involved in the civil war of Reach, only one had remained an option as Hand. That's one loose end tied, should I soon meet mine.

QWw1zTP.png
RWwVTJ4.png

Lord Jaesin Lannister had a reputation as a formidable swordsman and a brilliant duelist. He had honed his skills by fighting other Lord Paramounts, and some years ago even proposed to test his skills against mine, with Brightroar up against Blackfyre. Back then I replied that I would not draw my sword unless needed. That had been the end of it, but Lord Lyonel's death raised questions if the Lion Lord had been after mine even then. Whatever the case, Jaesin Lannister finally got what he wanted. Clad in my old black armor that I wore during the Conquest of Dorne, I unsheathed the sword of kings for everyone to behold. My opponent did the same.

We both were soldiers, prepared for this moment our entire lives. I was facing the hardest battle I'd ever had. But as I took a step forward, I was determined to see through it. I would not die with my sons watching. I would not die and watch from the afterlife as my realm burned. Before me stood a lion, scarred from a lifetime of battles. But one was still fresh and slowing the beast down. My years of training allowed me to see the opening it gave and to use it against him.

r9qNHIZ.png
K5EjVF8.png

I recall little of Ghaston Grey. Of Sunspear, Yronwood, Ghost Hill. Of Payne Hall, Casterly Rock or of my duel against Ser Donnel Arryn. It was the same this time after the fight came to an end. As we fought there was only me and my opponent, nothing else mattered. Like an animal that is reduced only to one instinct; surviving, I did what I needed to do in effort to stay alive. In the end I stood over Jaesin Lannister, my sword deep in the downed lion's stomach. I doubt it was the kind of an ending he had hoped for himself, pressing his wound so that his entrails would not come out. There was no glory in an end like this, but that is the way a soldier dies. Only the best live to see death come grab them in a cleaner way.

I put my boot on his chest and wrenched the blade out, then taking a step back to watch the man before me fade from this world. ''Pay witness to what you have seen here today'', I spoke loudly for everyone to hear. ''The Lannister has paid his debt. Enough blood has been spilled, and any more of it will not change what has happened. Like the Young Lord Arryn, my niece Lenora Lannister will receive what is her. Lands, titles - for her to hold. May she be a better ruler than those before her.''

I turned to look at Rylla Tyrell, Jon Hightower, Kermit Tully and Lenora Lannister, all participants of the civil war that had raged for too long already. ''Now return home and keep the king's peace.''

231kRDK.png

''My thanks, your Grace'', Rylla Tyrell later came to tell me. No words of mine could soothe her, or make her loss and burden any easier. But I mourned the passing of her father, and she saw it. The least I could do for my dead friend was to take care of his daughter, even if she seemed capable of taking care of herself. But fighting against her countrymen was different from what she had ever experienced, even if taking both Casterly Rock and the Eyrie had made her a living legend already. She was the most powerful woman alive, a fact well known to me. The next words I said to her later planted a seed that would grow in time and later affect the lives of everyone in Westeros, most of all hers.

I had made myself clear that I wanted the war to end. But once more my efforts were in vain. Jon Hightower and Lenora Lannister went back to their armies and resumed the war to my dismay. But the worst of all was Tranced Baratheon. He would have been Protector of the Realm and Hand of the King, had I fallen. It was an office I was determined to keep him in, had not his next action been to leave King's Landing to join the ongoing war. ''A Hand's place is with the king'', I told him in a letter, hoping he would turn around. But he was determined. Determined to bring down Rylla Tyrell.

C9HcxEZ.png

(The Stormlands joined the War of the Roses on side of the Hightowers and the Lannisters. Lord Tranced Baratheon's betrayal was bitter to King Daeron, who was prepared to leave the kingdoms in Lord Baratheon's care should he die untimely)

The Riverlands rallied with the remnants of the Tyrell loyalists in Reach. What concerned me most was the fate of my son, Prince Aidun, who I had sent with Lord Kermit Tully after Jaesin Lannister's trial. I had intended his training to be finished in Riverrun, far away from the court where memory of Princess Daena Targaryen's betrayal was still fresh in memory. Instead my son rode to war with the Tullies, against Hightowers, Lannisters and Baratheons, who held my son Vaeron.

Even as a child Aidun had had wild eyes. My love for Daena and my love for the boy was why I chose not to discard him like so many children I had. Enely remained in Runestone, protected her half-brother Lord Mychel Royce. My daughter Aella was a courtier in the Red Keep where I occasionally glanced upon her. That red hair of hers was enough to make sure none would know she was mine, most of all she herself. Rylee on the other hand was in Hayford, where my former Captain of Household Guard Lord Adrian Darnholm was raising him like his own. We had agreed that he would not send me letters about how the boy was faring, to make sure the knowledge of his origin would not go into wrong hands. But I trusted that he was being looked after. Daeron, my son by Sansa Stark, one the other hand was being looked after as any other member of the royal family would. He was young, but I was already planning to take him under my guidance when he was old enough.

I had fathered many and more children, but the youngest was perhaps also the one I treasured the most. A daughter had been born to me and my wife a year ago. A girl with starry eyes and dark, dark hair. We had decided to name her Daenyra, after my mother.

ISPxZm3.png

Since Aidun was old enough to wield a sword, I had overseen his training personally. I was not one for jousting or taking part in tourneys, but he served as my squire all the same and attended to my daily needs. It was a task I had first entrusted to Jace and Baelon, but when they received their spurs their duties passed to Aidun. The time we had spent together had created deep friendship between us, similar to what I had with my half-brother Baelon. But even so he had chosen to leave for the Wall. Yet that fate would not await my son. To my delight Aidun showed signs of caring for his family, even if he detested his distant cousins Cregard and Daeron, the latter of which in truth was son of mine. This assured me that when it was time for my crown to be passed to Prince Aemon, Aidun would prove a great asset to his elder brother. Whereas Aemon had been groomed to rule the court and to sway people's minds, Aidun would be the one to wield a sword, should the crown ever need of such.

UxhFT44.png
Q7sBT89.png

(Son of Daeron and Daena Targaryen, The Black Prince)

Even if Aidun was a great swordsman, he lacked all that Aemon had. Wild like a dragon he was, but Aemon was different by nature. Even as a child he could recite me long texts that he had simply glanced upon. I never understood how he did it, but I understood early that he was unlike others. He always had an answer ready, and even aided me occasionally when I was busy dealing with the daily problems of a king. He was kind, he was generous. He easily made friends and had a good sense of justice. Sometimes I wondered why I had been blessed with a son as great as him.. for as all known, sons are but images of their fathers.

Even with the war going on and the mother of Aemon's betrothed fighting, I decided to go ahead with the plans to give the realm a princess and a future queen. Annet Tyrell remained in King's Landing after her grand-father Lyonel's death, as it was meant to be her place in time. Even if her mother could not come for an obvious reason, I gave the realm a reason to rejoice. The wedding ceremony was only modest, but it was also followed with the naming of Aemon as Prince of Dragonstone. Not long after, I also named him to the Small Council as my new Master of Laws to replace Lady Sansa Stark. Lady Annet was much like her mother, schooled in the ways of the sword. She bore a scar in her cheek, a price many before her alike had paid for choosing this way of life we shared. While I was certain she would prove a strong and supportive wife to Prince Aemon, I could already imagine how the people would react to 'the Scarred Queen.'

G134zH8.png
YpZ2Ymi.png

In the south swords were gathering. Houses Hightower and Lannister joined forces and marched to meet the combined armies of Tyrell and Tully outside Steadfast, a castle ruled by a young Reachman lord named Eustace Osgrey. The Stormlanders marched to join their allies in hopes of trapping the loyalist army between two forces. What followed was the bloodiest battle Westeros had ever seen. After several days of fighting, the war was finally over. But two of the main participants were among the countless dead who did not live to see its end.

OwU01zX.jpg

Last edited:
House Baratheon
xr3n6hW.jpg

(175-177 AL)
MjdSelK.png

Andrew had come to hate Sand. While half the kingdom froze Dorne had remained and the Dornish had used the opportunity of winter to try and break away from the Seven Kings yet again. Atop his dune Andrew could see his father's answer, the Entire army of the Stormlands as well as Loyalist Martell and Dayne forces. Thier tents had scattered across the Sands like a Forest. It had been like this for Months the camping and waiting that is.

The Dornish had attacked Tranced's forces once and then faded away into the terrain. While such a strategy worked against The Conqueror in the past, Tranced had intended to stay, offering Food, Pay and Pardon to any who would side against the rebels. Meanwhile the Armies of Storm's End would comb the desert using Guides trained by Arion Baratheon in Yronwood. It was now only a matter of time before the Dornish were rooted out, and finally put down for good.​

dDt8tWz.png

Andrew watched a Raven fly over his head to the tallest tent, The Rookery tent. He followed it, quiet in the sand to see what it was about. Since they had set out on campaign very few birds could find 'Tent Town' as the servants had begun calling it.

The air inside the tent was thick with smoke. Along the Tent walls were dozens of cages filled with squawking Ravens. Andrew noted Maester Pate large as he was sitting at a table in the middle, his armed covered in what looked to bluish white paint. Where the Raven had gone however Andrew could not see. Then Andrew could take the smoke no longer and coughed.

Maester Pate looked up at the sound "It's a bit late for you to be here Andrew"

Andrew frowned and answered the truth "I can't sleep, The wind put sand in my Tent again" Andrew knew the response that would come and quickly spoke to change the subject "What are you doing?"

Pate looked down at the table and spoke a quick "Oh" then he looked up his chain rattling from the sudden pull back and forth. "No Harm I suppose, Orders of your Father, the Dornish have been trying to intercept Ravens, so we have been painting them as other Birds harder ones to see in the Sky"​
Andrew didn't really care, he twisted his mouth "Didn't a Raven just come in here?" It was after all the real reason why he had bothered coming into Pate's smoke filled tent.

"Yes, Actually if you could help" Pate answered before pushing an arm to a uncaged raven on the opposite end of the table "My hands are a bit wet at the moment, can you take that Note to your Father, Its from Highgarden"

Andrew did as he was asked. The Maester mentioned Highgarden, There was a Tournament in Highgarden Andrew remembered. Then he frowned, taking the note from the Raven's leg I wish we were in Highgarden right now, instead of in this sandy miserable place. "Good, I assume you know where your father's tent is"

Andrew nodded. Lord Tranced had moved the tents important tends around every night so things like food, supplies and where the Nobles were located were different each night. Ever since twenty Dornishmen had snuck into the Camp and were apprehended the Lord Paramount was taking no chances with the safety of his Children, Wards or War.

Andrew found his Father, slouched over a map of Dorne, also awake despite the hour. Inside the Command Tent was Maron Martell the new Master at Arms, Uncle Arion Baratheon and Wallace Dayne. "Father, I have a message from Highgarden"

Uncle Arion let out a powerful sneeze followed by several coughs. The Lord of Storm's end looked over "Perhaps its best you retire brother" Arion still recovering from a particularly wet cough nodded "Sorry, I'll ask Maester Pate for something, I should be better on the morrow"

The Lord of Yronwood left, leaving Just the Lords of Starfall, Sunspear and Storm's End. "Give it here Andrew" his father spoke, holding a hand out for the note. Andrew did as he was told and waited quietly.

nRVBmLm.png

First smirk had come over Lord Tranced's face but it quickly fled as he read more of the message. Andrew knew that look, it was the same his Father had whenever he or Lomas did something bad. The same look he had when he heard about what Lomas did to Prince Vaeron.

"Lord Baratheon?" spoke Wallace Dayne after a period of extended silence.

Tranced crumpled the note and whispers under his breath "Lord Jaesin Lannister has killed Lyonel the Decadent" The room hung quietly for a moment, "What?" asked lord Maron Martell.

Lord Tranced looked almost sick as he spoke "Slew him in an honorable duel after he yielded" Then he turned to Wallace Dayne and spoke hardly in control of the volume of his own voice "Get me that oversized Fool of a Maester" Lord Wallace looked dumb stuck as if his Lord spoke another language. "Now!" Then the Lord of Starfall ran off

"Father whats wrong?" Andrew asked, more scared than curious.

The Lord of Storm's End blinked for a moment before speaking seeing his son "Lord Tyrell has no male Heir, which means the Throne will fall to the Hightower boy by law" Lord Maron looked over "Would the Throne not fall to Rylla"

The Answer was a swift, "No, outside of Dorne a woman inherits only when there is no other available option"

"Quite Barbaric" Maron answered in reply "And Dornish Law would save the reach more blood than it knows.."

"Its the King's law we follow Maron, and its the King's Law we defend" Tranced spoke again, a strong hint of annoyance in his voice.

Maester Pate walked in, alongside Wallace Dayne. The Maester was still covered in paint and towered over the other men in the room. "Pate, I need a letter wrote, Tell Jon Hightower that Leona Tyrell is the Rightful heir and she shall have our support, Only After this business with Jaesin Lannister is put aside"

"Leona... Tyrell my lord" the Maester asked

"Yes Leona! Unless Rylla produces a Son as we speak, We didn't fight the bloodiest civil war in this Kingdom's History but a hundred years ago just for a Woman to inherit the most powerful Kingdom in the realm out of turn"

Andrew knew what the Maester was asking, There was no Leona Tyrell, Jon's wife was Jeona Tyrell. Not that it much mattered.

"Yes of course my Lord what should I write then" the Lord Maester leaned over onto the table with a note. Andrew saw paint splatter across the table where the Maester's hands were still wet. Then he saw the shadow, walk past the Maester and Draw a sword.

"My Lord!" Spoke Maron Martell who raised his sword and dove in front of his lord.

Andrew closed his eyes, he didn't want to watch but then he felt it on his face, Warm but also sticky. It was blood. He wanted to scream but kept his mouth closed, he heard steel clash around the tent, and two thuds. Then he felt Maester Pate holding him with his big Arms "Its Alright, Its Alright"

When Andrew opened his eyes he saw Nightfall first, the blade was a deep dark crimson and blood had run over the Golden Stag at the hilt. Then he saw the Shadow, a Dornishmen dead on the floor, a great cut in his chest where Nightfall struck. Below him was another body, adorned in Orange and Re. It was the Man who had given his life for Lord Tranced, it was Maron Martell.

fY4zCbf.png

Andrew heard only the screaming and yelling as the Camp was put on high Alert. He felt sick, from all the Blood, and the yelling, or maybe it was the smell of the Paint all over Maester Pate. After a minute Andrew's head pounded, he felt he couldn't breath and then he heard it "My Lord! Its Your Brother, Come quickly" Then all Andrew could see was black.

Yn2hofU.png

:p ANYTHINGCANHAPPENOBODYISSAFE ;)

Last edited:
SaLmR3p.png

House Hightower 179 AC - 180 AC The War of Roses Part 1
Jeona is implacable, Jon thought. They just had their third fight in as many days, again over the controversial issue of succession. Jon had no stomach for it, truth be told. Laws and customs, successors and claims, that was all Leyton's expertise. All Jon knew how to do was fight, that and tell other people how to fight. Jeona was insistent that the birth of Arryk made her Lyonel's rightful heir. Leyton was no help, feeding Jeona's ambition by affirming that Lyonel had not set a specific heir before he died. That was only half a truth. Everyone from Oldtown to Tumbleton knew Lyonel favored Rylla. The only reason he never wrote it down was because he never had to. And when he did have to Jaesin Lannister drove a sword through his heart.

Jon didn't care for who the law said was right. Rylla was his friend. They'd fought together in the Westerlands and the Vale. He'd been there for all her greatest achievements, and her for his. In the war room the two were an unmatched pair, their respective skills of strategy unparalleled anywhere else in the realm. When the whole of the realms scorned Jon for being the son of a traitor, Rylla was one of the few to accept him. He was to be her right hand when she became Lady of the Reach, her paramount general and vassal. He tried ecplaining all that to Jeona. She didn't care. She went as far as to claim Jon loved Rylla over herself, and nothing Jon could say or do would reconcile her. Except one thing. Call his banners and make himself to be the same sort of traitor Bradwell was. Except worse even. Bradwell only murdered a few select important people. What Jeona wanted was war, the death of thousands.

When she first made the suggestion Jon gave her a firm, "No." She wasn't happy. That was when she brought Leyton into this, Jon's own brother. Again he said, "No." The last time was viscious. She heft vases at him, screaming him, cursing him. Jeona demanded he prove his love for her... and Jon had no idea how to respond. He stormed out and here he was, now atop the Hightower. He looked over his city, wondering what destruction Rylla might exact on it if he went through with what Jeona wanted. Would she burn it? Perhaps, to set an example. It was a risk Jon wasn't ready to take.

Jon spent another hour or so, contemplating his awkward situation. Finally, he resolved himself to refuse Jeona a final time. There would be no discussion, this talk of treason would be ended for good and all. He descended the steps back down to their chambers slowly, thinking of what he would say carefully. Jeona was still Rylla's sister, she'd see reason. When he entered Jeona was lying in wait for him, naked as the gods made her.

"Jeona..." The act caught him off guard, though in hindsight he might've seen it coming. "Wait, hold on. We have needs talk..." The words stumbled out like a boy becoming a man on his wedding day.

She rose, walking over to him slowly before wrapping her arms around his neck. "Be silent, my knight."

He lost himself then and there.

When they were done she was over by the balcony, clad in a silken robe. Jon rose and came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her neck softly.

"I'm yours, my love. What would you have me do."

Jeona smiled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Read it aloud, Leyton, one more time, "Jeona ordered, her hand on Jon's shoulder has they stood at the head of the table.

Leyton cleared his throat, "I, Jon of the House Hightower, second of his name, Lord of the Hightower, Lord of the Port, Voice of Oldtown, Defender of the Citadel, and Beacon of the South do hereby declare that with the birth of of my own son Arryk Hightower that Jeona, formerly of the House Tyrell, is the true and rightful heir of the late Lord Lyonel Tyrell. Lady Rylla Tyrell has no claim to the seat of Highgarden, and all those who would stand in the way of justice are traitors and thieves. In the light of the Seven let the true ruler of the Reach be known."

When Leyton finished all the lords gathered looked at Jon expectantly. Among them was Jeona herself, Jon's brother Ser Leyton Hightower, Jon's cousin Ser Runcel Hightower, Jon's sister Lady Valiete Hightower, and Jon's half-brother Wyman Flowers. Also gathered were Jon's bannerman, Lords Blackbar, Bulwer, Beesbury, Mullendore, Costayne, Ambrose, and Cuy. Unlike Bradwell of the past, all were solidly behind him no matter the decision. The choice was his...

"Yes..." Was Jon said, albeit slowly,

Leyton nodded, rolling the paper carefully. "Wonderful. Copies will be made. All we need is your seal."

Jon dribbled wax on the scroll, grey for House Hightower and stamping it with his signature tower. My treason is official... Jon thought. "It's done."

350px-Oldtown.jpg

(Oldtown, seat of House Hightower)
When the ravens returned, the news was met with mixed review. House Florent, largely contemptuous of Tyrell rule, pledged their support and 2,000 men. House Meadows was with us as well, pledging 4,000 men, as was House Grimm with 2,000 of their own and 20 warships. Together Jon could field roughly 20,000 men. Rylla was a renowned general, however, well respected and loved by many lords. Others supported her out of mere love for her father, who favored Rylla as heir. They were most of the Reach, principal among them House Redwyne, Rowan, and Peake. Rylla could field 40,000 men, twice their own numbers. Many and more remained silent. Jon's sister Leyla had been married to Lord Hyle Tarly, but that alliance was voided two years earlier by an unnamed woman with a spear. House Crane was counted among Jon's allies as well, but the craven Lord Ben Crane was surrounded by foes, and refused to pledge any support out of his own safety. Still, every sword that stayed home was not fighting against him. That was worth something.

Less than a month had passed when Jon's scouts reported a strong loyalist force marching south towards Oldtown, some 21,000 men. Jon and his troops were not yet formed together, for only 14,000 had gathered at Oldtown. Lord Beesbury reasoned 14,000 men could surely withstand 21,000 behind the solid walls of Oldtown. Jon supposed that was true but that was not how he'd win this war. Rylla did not mean to attack, she was far too clever for that. She would bottle him up in a lengthy siege while she dealt with the Tullys. Word had reached him Lord Kermit Tully was putting forth his own claimant in Myleria Tyrell. What a despicable man, Myleria has as much claim as my arse.

Jon commanded the troops disembark on the fleet. They had just enough room for every soldier to find a place on the decks. Jon's family would be taken too, for if they were captured his cause was forfeit. Jon also decided Oldtown would not be another achievement for Rylla. He ordered the gates opened and cautioned all smallfolk to flee the city and find refuge in the countryside. When Rylla's men arrived they would find the city more or less empty and open to them. There would be no glory to be found there, no epic battle. And if burned, it would only serve to make Rylla look viscous and cruel. The High Septon himself would treat with her once she arrived.

It was a dangerous risk, Jon knew. But Jon also knew he would be defeated quickly if he tried to hold it. One loss here would save the war effort. With heavy hearts they sailed away from their beloved city, up the coast of the Reach and plunged headlong into the Mander. House Grimm was small, and normally inconsequential, but the confusion of one shield island in Jon's pocket allowed the fleet to sail up the river relatively unopposed. They sailed right past Highgarden and beached themselves north at Bitterbridge. Then, they marched north towards the Gold Road.

That was when Leyton came in yet again. A truce was called to settle the matter of Jaesin Lannister, and Jon was obligated to attend the matter in King's Landing.

"Brother." Leyton called as Jon was about to set off. "A word."

"What is it?" Jon selected a score of men as his guard and left the host in the command of Lord Edgerran Blackbar.

Leyton drew him off privately. "You are familiar with the phrase, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'? This situation with the Lannisters is, well, a golden opportunity."

Jon was shocked. "You'd have me ally myself with the murderer of my father-in-law? Have I not wronged the man's memory enough by trying to steal his daughter's seat?"

"You want to win, don't you?" Leyton snapped back. "We are outnumbered, nearly three to one. Lannister's forces would even the playing field. Besides, we need not deal with the man himself but his own regent and daughter. Let me do this, let me win them to our side and give us a chance!"

There was a bitter taste in his mouth, for Jon knew his brother was right. He had no stomach for this. Leyton sounded too much like father. "Damned it all to hell. Do it. I wash my hands of it. Do it and may the Father give me justice when I meet him."

A dangerous smile grew on his lips. "It will be done. You won't regret this."

Jon was saddling up again, and looked at Leyton with remorse. "I already do."

400px-Katherine_Dinger_CLannister.jpg
wgswa1v.png
(Lady Lenora Lannister, heir to Casterly Rock, and her father Lord Jaesin Lannister, an accomplished swordsman and accused of treason)

As Jon arrived in King's Landing he was given news of Leyton's mission in the west. Jon did not how how he did it, but according to the raven Jaesin's regent pledged their support and were marshaling swords at Lannisport. In response many neutral swords joined cause with Rylla, a backlash Jon predicted. But he gained near 40,000 swords whilst Rylla gained some 20,000. A more than fair trade, though it still felt wrong to Jon. Still, he was impressed. Leyton worked quickly, and he had a silver tongue.

Cold responses was all he got from Rylla, and he gave her nothing in turn. Instead they both watched as King Daeron dueled Jaesin Lannister, ending the traitor's life with Blackfyre. The scream of valyrian steel on steel was a sound he had not heard since Bradwell dueled Cregan. When it was done King Daeron pleaded with both sides to keep the King's peace, but his pleas fell on deaf ears. Jon and Rylla both were accomplished commanders, and they both knew the issue had gone too far to be ended peacefully. Only blood would end this feud. Rylla returned to her host, marching herself to repeat her victory at Casterly Rock. Jon rejoined his host, determined to stop her. Fortunes grew better for them, for Hand of the King Tranced Baratheon pledged his support too. Not only did his support bring 40,000 more swords, but the Hand himself backing their claim, a man named Tranced the Just, gave their cause legality.

Not a moment after Jon rejoined his troops did they begin a forced march down the Gold Road toward Lannisport. Rylla was already almost to their Lannisters, and they would need the Hightower swords to defeat her. The march was as hard as any Jon had ever led. Harden than from Gulltown to the Bloody Gate, and some of his older troops claimed it was harder than Yronwood even. But it was well worth it. Joining their forces, Jon met Rylla in the field for the first major engagement of the war. Rylla held a myth of being unbeatable. Jon shattered that myth. Rylla had superior ground, but Jon drove resiliently at her and her host was scattered to the wind. Together Hightower and Lannister hounded Rylla until all 20,000 men were dead, captured, or broken. One woman however, was none of the three, for Rylla escaped to rejoin her remaining men to the south.

latest

(The Battle of the Redhills, as dubbed by the Hightower men, saw Jon inflict on Rylla her first defeat)

Not all the news was good. For some reason Jon did not yet know, Lord Kermit Tully suddenly abandoned is own cause and instead sided with Rylla. Perhaps it was because Jon had suddenly found so much support, that Kermit sought a new way to win, Jon did not know. He only knew Kermit hated the Hightowers with a passion, and would do anything to stop them from gaining more power. This sudden turn of events saw the war even once again, just as Jon gained the edge. It was no matter. Even with Tully's help, Jon resolved he would give Jeona the victory she yearned for.

Lannister did not have enough ships to carry his own men, so Jon left them as his fleet rejoined him at Lannisport. The Lannister would march down the Ocean Road whilst Jon himself took his men to aid the Baratheons, who now were investing Highgarden. They embarked at dawn and within a fortnight dumped Jon and his men off at the mouth of the Mander. There they marched up the river to the legendary seat of the Tyrells, and before them the Gardener kings. The castle was magnificent, and had not been taken in living memory. The last time Jon could remember the castle falling was during the reign of King Garth X.

Jon and his men joined the besieging forces, led by Lord Wallace Dayne. A curious choice, Jon thought, as it was a dornishman leading a host of stormlanders. Alas, he seemed capable. Eager to deal Rylla another stinging blow, the two planned an assault on the castle. Famous for it's famed hedges that would often confuse would-be attackers, Jon simply had them burned to clear the way. The famed flowers and gardens of Highgarden were burned away, replaced with burnt soil the Reach had not seen since the Field of Fire. Next siege towers were brought up, as well as ladders and rams. It was roughly 50,000 men against some 10,000 defenders.

ted%20nasmith_a%20song%20of%20ice%20and%20fire_highgarden_med.jpg

(Highgarden, seat of House Tyrell and symbol of their power and prestige)
The battle was fierce, for the Reachman defended their castle vigorously. Yet valor pales in comparison to overwhelming force, and together the Baratheons and Hightowers smashed its defences and stormed the caslte. Jon was a man of honor, as all knew, but this was war. To demoralize the enemy, and to avenge Oldtown, Jon exacted a far more serious devastation on what many claimed to be the most beautiful castle in Westeros. Before the sack Jon issued a warning to all those inside. They had 24 hours to flee. What was left of the Tyrell family was also taken into custody. When the time was over, Jon gave the command. What gardens were left were hacked down and burned. Many pristine white towers were pulled down and destroyed. Anything that could burn did, and what was left was a burned white husk.

The final battle, however, was yet to begin. A storm was brewing to the north, and Jon could only pray he was ready for it.

Last edited:
Chapter 15 - Rylla I
aDwPqTG.png

179 - 180 AL​

It was termed the War of the Roses for the personal sigils adopted by the opposing sisters, Black for Rylla and White for Jeona, and it was one of the most bloody wars ever waged in the history of Westeros, second only to the Dance of the Dragons. One hundred and eighty thousand men fought between three, and later two, sides as the Reach was engulfed in flames.

J2RKQZr.jpg

(Don't mind the "2nd War" part; there was some save finagling going on. It means nothing)​

It started simply, innocently, with the birth of Arryk Hightower, an event that built up to something much bigger when Jon Hightower declared that his wife, the Lady Jeona, was the rightful heiress of Highgarden rather than Rylla. Battlelines were drawn in the Reach, with one half supporting the Lady Rylla, a quarter supporting the Lord Jon and the Lady Jeona, and the other quarter remaining, at least at the start, neutral. Such "neutrality" lasted less than a week as Lord Kermit Tully put forth his own claimant, the Lady Myleria Tyrell, wife to his third son Toren, leading to Rylla drawing on their oaths to defend the Reach in order to muster a host of twenty thousand to "defend the sanctity of the Reach."

Lady Rylla's first action was to muster some twenty thousand men and sail for Oldtown, aiming to end the war in a quick, decisive strike. Alas, such was not to be, for Lord Jon's host had themselves sailed around and past Rylla's own fleet, the Oldtown fleet bolstered by a great number of merchant and sellsail ships. Regardless of that fact, however, Rylla still landed at Oldtown, quickly investing the city before a brief and private negotiation with the High Septon saw the city itself left unmarked.

Rylla was not quite as merciful towards the Hightower itself, however. The tower was swiftly stormed and sacked, though it was left relatively intact, if a little blackened, in stark contrast to the later Burning of Highgarden.

The first surprise of the war came when Lord Jaesin Lannister, in the midst of his trial, declared his support for Lord Jon and, perhaps more surprisingly, Lord Jon accepted. This, somewhat predictably, led to a backlash from the formerly neutral lords as Lady Rylla, with the assistance of her half-sister Lady Annet, inflamed their passions and bound the lords to her cause by promising to avenge Lord Lyonel's death unlike "that craven, treasonous bastard."

The course of the war was briefly delayed, however, by the trial of Lord Jaesin Lannister. Where previously the trial had been delayed on account of the war, now, with the entry of the Lannisters into the war, Lady Rylla left her host under the care of her subordinate commanders and rode to King's Landing with a small escort, along with everyone else that was or would come to be involved in the war. There, Lord Jaesin Lannister met his end by King Daeron's sword. There, seeds were planted that promised to shake up Westeros for decades to come.

There, Rylla did what she had done since she had been a little girl, and lied. She approached Kermit Tully in private, pointing out that, with the entry of the Lannisters into the war, that the Hightowers held the greatest strength amongst all the combatants. She worked with Kermit's burning, undying hatred of the Hightowers, inflaming it by stating how she had heard that Jon Hightower had sworn to "burn Riverrun to the ground." It may even have been true. She pleaded with him to abandon his claim and side with her, and, when her arguments did not prove enough, she promised his son Toren land, power.

She promised his son lordship of the lands surrounding Oldtown, including the city itself, under Rylla, an offer that rankled her and that she may even have kept had she received the opportunity. It was an offer Kermit couldn't resist, and one that would come to spell great trouble for the realm at large.

And so it was that, with a promise and a lie, Lady Rylla turned a former enemy to her side even as another came into the fray.

bwBNnlE.jpg

Lord Tranced Baratheon declared for Jon Hightower immediately after the trial of Jaesin Lannister, an act that set Rylla against a host one hundred thousand strong in all. But she did not return to her army, not immediately. Instead, the Lord Bronn Rosby had made certain advances and offers towards Rylla, asking for her sister Victaria's hand in marriage. Rylla accepted, having caught her youngest sister attempting to flee Highgarden for the "safety" of the Oldtown near the beginning of the war, and secured the aid of Rosby.

5bZB8G2.jpg

Rylla had hoped that, with Jaesin's death, the Lannisters would bow out of the war, but it appeared that his daughter had other plans. Thus it was that, soon to be caught between two sizable armies, Rylla set her armies marching north into the Westerlands, seeking to link up with the Tullys and rout the Hightower host that had marched to seek refuge with the Lannisters. Rylla herself, however, took her fleet and sailed to Casterly Rock with a host twenty thousand strong, hoping to encircle Casterly Rock and hold it until she could bring the rest of her army to assault it. With that, she hoped to capture the Lady Lenora and force the Lannisters to stand down, but, alas, such was not to be, as the fleet bearing the second host of twenty thousand arrived in time only to recover a retreating shred of her army, not in time to reinforce it. The battle had seemed to be going well, with the host of the Reach fighting valiantly - until its right flank, lead by Estalia, broke. So it was that Rylla Tyrell suffered her first military defeat, broken and surrounded by hosts led by Jon Hightower himself.

Her plans scattered, she sailed back to her host of forty thousand, sending a raven to Lord Kermit requesting that he march south to unite with her own host rather than meeting past the Golden Tooth like they had originally planned.

It was as she sailed back that the second great surprise of the war occurred. Weeks earlier, Highgarden had been encircled by the Baratheons, but not before Rylla's regent-in-absence, her half-sister Annet Flowers, had spirited out Rylla's immediate family with the assistance of Highgarden's consummate spymaster, Lord Gormon Roxton of the Ring. Rylla was not surprised to learn that Highgarden had fallen; after all, ten times the number of defenders were camped outside its walls, and she had assaulted far more difficult castles with such numbers.

No, what she was surprised by was the sheer callousness and cruelty displayed by Lord Jon and Lady Jeona. In a shockingly spiteful act, they burned Highgarden to the ground, charring it black. The news so shook Rylla that, upon hearing it, she remarked that "if that bitch were not my sister, I would draw and quarter her myself. I'm of half a mind to do it regardless."

wA231Rq.jpg

It was while she was camped in the Northmarch with the rest of her host, waiting for the Riverlander host to arrive, that Rylla's firstborn daughter, Annet, was married to Crown Prince Aemon in an ultimately modest ceremony that Rylla could not attend, much to her distress. Ultimately, it only hardened her heart towards the war, becoming what she viewed as simply another atrocity forced upon her.

xxKBzTQ.jpg

Fortunately for Rylla, Lord Tranced had erred slightly in his choice of commander. Lord Wallace Dayne had, after all, been raised in Highgarden for the latter part of his childhood, and had become close friends with Lord Lyonel before his untimely death. Thus, the army that had burned Highgarden to the ground fractured slightly. Jon Hightower marched off in one direction, boarding his fleet for a reason unknown to Rylla while Lord Wallace, grudgingly doing his duty, led the Baratheon host north, where Lady Rylla was waiting, both for her allies and her enemies.

It was on the plains of the Northmarch that they clashed in a slaughter that would come to be known as the "Battle of the Five Armies."

There, one hundred and fifty thousand men fought. There, over seventy thousand of those men fell.

There, history was made.

K7PIJjq.jpg

Lady Rylla at the time of the Battle of the Five Armies
-----
A/N: Get [REDACTED] on, Hobbit.

House Baratheon
xr3n6hW.jpg

(179 AL) The Tower of the Hand

Tower_of_the_Hand.jpg

Lomas
The Hand's Solar was a perfumed mess was Lomas' thought. The Five of them, Lomas, Lord Tranced, Wallace Dayne, Lord Dalton and Gawen Estermont had arrived in at the tower after the duel. With the outcome of the duel uncertain at the time Lomas' father had been named Hand of the King. Though it was clear to many that Jaesin Lannister had not poisoned his weapon lord Tranced had seen fit to use Lyonel's Quarters and serve as hand until the Young Dragon chose someone else.

Lord Estermont was the first to speak as he entered unrolling a large map onto Lyonel's table. "Since you had the letter sent to Hightower, Lord Baratheon I think it best that you decide how you should go forward as Hand"

Lord Dalton took a seat at the table, His surcoat had a particularly ugly version of the Dalton Dragon in vomit Green. The Dornish were fond of painting dragons not as fearsome beasts to be feared but as horrible monsters to scare children and for Brave Dornishmen to slay. It was not popular among the denizens of the King's court but as far as Lomas could tell had been allowed without remark by anyone except Prince Vaeron who wanted him to change his surcoat. There was of course a reason for the silence that Lomas knew well enough. An Army nearly thirty thousand strong was camped outside King's Landing, more than enough to take the city, Lord Baratheons Idea as both parties of the brewing war in the reach were present and a Baratheon Army could defend the capital barring treachery from Lannister, Tully or Tyrell. Lomas was proud of that fact, that despite being known as the Just his father was no fool and for his foresight was rewarded a stay in the Hand's Tower.

"I'm well aware Gawen" Lord Tranced spoke as he walked across the room. He sat down at the head of the table, no doubt where lord Lyonel the Decadent would have drunken himself to death had Jaesin the Mad Lion of Lannister not reached him first.

"There is news that Lord Tully Means to declare instead for Rylla" spoke Wallace Dayne as he took one of Lord Estermont war pieces and set it on the map where the entrance to the Riverlands would be. Lomas walked over to the table and looked at it, watching Lords Estermont and Dayne place pieces on the map. The Fish Pieces constantly fell over and Lord Estermont had eventually decided to throw them back into his oak box and place Stark wolves instead for the Tullies which was silly to Lomas.

The Dornishman spoke "Lord Kermit has Thirty Thousand Swords, almost as good as Thirty Thousand Dornish Spears" The Lords around him laughed, Lomas as well but not Tranced.

"If you had Thirty Thousand Spears I would not be Warden of Dorne" the dour lord of Storm's End responded.

"We have Forty Thousand, Ten in the Prince's Pass and Thirty Here" He continued, pointing at the Roads to King's Landing and Princes pass.

The other Dornishman spoke "Then you're sure about supporting Jeona Tyrell my Lord?"

Lord Tranced simply looked at Wallace Dayne. The Lord of Starfall's curly hair looked as if it would catch fire so close to one of the torches. Then as awkward as he could he sat down at the table "Kermit Tully believes Rylla firstborn and has the right of it my Lord"​

SDyqyq2.png

Lomas crossed his arms and watched as Lord Estermont pushed an inkwell from the table. The sound of the glass shattering on the floor made his point. "That's how much Kermit Tully cares about the right of it, a Month ago he was asking us to support Myleria"

Lord Tranced spoke "I would have supported Myleria Tyrell alongside Tully myself, if Lord Kermit didn't prove to be craven and bend his banners to the Tyrells this would be a very different conversation"

That response drew all eyes to the Lord Paramount. It was mostly in disbelief as Lord Tranced had made no illusions to Jeona Tyrell's right to Highgarden.

"Yes, I would have supported her, pick up your mouths, Jeona is the rightful heir but this is the third crisis involving the name Hightower in my lifetime and I suspect should she win the reach it won't be the last"

Lord Dalton looked at the map and his lord and then chewed the air in his mouth for a moment, rolling around a question before speaking "So we will declare for Rylla?"

"Gods above I hope not" spoke Gawen Estermont. The Ambitious Chancellor had always tried to find the most benefit for himself in whatever he advised Lord Baratheon. Lomas suspected Estermont to have some scheme for some reward for negotiating terms with Oldtown for Baratheon's help.​

Wzz24Pi.png

"No, we will support Jeona Tyrell, As Hand of the King I have a duty to see the King's Justice done, and the King's laws would see Jeona declared the rightful heir"

Lord Estermont breathed a sigh of relief and returned to setting up pieces on the board. Lord Dalton smirked and poured himself a glass of wine, shooting a glare at the last remaining Rylla supporter in the room, Wallace Dayne. Wallace had grown in up Highgarden and had come to King's Landing to see justice done against Jaesin Lannister. He was also Master of Coin of Storm's End and a valuable voice on Tranced's own council. Lomas didn't like him very much however, Wallace always walked on eggshells around Lord Tranced and never had anything interesting to say.

"You know my feelings on this my Lord" he spoke noticing that all eyes in the room were upon him. Lomas couldn't help but agrees with the older lords around him, Why send Rylla Tyrell's biggest supporter to assist Jeona Tyrell in taking the reach?

"That's why I want you to lead my army south Wallace, We are acting to bring the Kings peace, not Hightowers. You will ride south, seize Highgarden and demand an end to the fighting"

Lord Dalton spit out his wine "The Goldstar, leading an army, that's a joke, tell it again"

"My Lord? I have never commanded anything besides city guards and tax collectors in my life"

"Your Father was one of the finest commanders the Seven Kingdoms has ever seen, you grew up with both of these Roses, I trust you know how to avoid their thorns" The Lord of Storm's End spoke "Besides, you will go with some of the Stormlands top commanders to take Highgarden a place you know better than any man here"

Lord Baratheon took the piece near King's Landing and moved it along the rose road until he knocked over the piece that represented the Hightower garrison, then firmly planted the Baratheon stag on the fortress.

Lord Dayne didn't look convinced so Tranced finally added "And I trust your judgement Wallace, your a Good Man, and you care for the Tyrells as much as your own family, I know you'll see that no harm comes to Rylla's Family"

After the last sentence the lord of Starfall nodded, understanding. "I'll have it done My Lord, and if Rylla's family is not present"

"Find Rylla Tyrell's army and smash it in the name of the rightful heir, I expect Kermit Tully to turn and run once he understands that I mean to end the war"

Lomas had his own question, namely why send someone to speak for the Stormlands when Tranced Baratheon was one of the best commanders in the seven Kingdoms. Lomas had always been proud of that fact and now it seemed like his father was being cowardly.

"Father, if you want the war done on your Terms why not go yourself"

Lord Tranced looked over and smiled. Lomas stood just a foot over the table and knew he must have looked small to all the men in the room. He tried to puff himself up and look bigger, more serious, more tough but really he knew it was no use. "My duty as Hand is by the King, I cannot go, and you will be staying here as well"

Lomas looked confused, He thought he was going to return to Storm's End alongside Vaeron like Maester Pate said. The Prospect of going anywhere with 'Veronica' which was Lomas' name for Vaeron that he used for whenever he called him Lomas the Lame was horrifying but staying in King's Landing, alongside his Brothers wasn't something Lomas was prepared for either.

"Don't worry, the Prince is returning to Storm's End alongside Andrew, your staying here with me, Your to be the Dragonknight's new Squire"​

P9euco8.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew

The Duel between the King and Jaesin Lannister had made Andrew sick. Ever since Dorne all he had seen was death, first both his Uncles, Maron Martell and Arion. Jaesin Lannister Andrew knew little off but for some reason his death had given him even more grief. Now, as he climbed the stairs of the Hand's tower it was all he could think about. The Clashing Valyrian Steel, King Daeron's morbid request of his father and of course the blood.

Andrew felt his knee's go weak as he took a step and stopped, breathing. Then spoke aloud "If anyone would tell me what was going on" not expecting an answer. There was of course none and he continued up the stairs.

At the top Andrew found the door open, His Father's guards were gone as well. Why would the guards be gone was his first thought, his next caused him to race up the remaining stairs and through the doorway, then he stood silent as the sight of castle forged steel took his breath away again.

The Hand's personal quarters had not been changed much, Lyonel's things had still been strewn about the room but very little personal items remained as the Hand was in Highgarden at the time of his death. On the center table was a Map, not of the Seven Kingdoms but the Reach with various small peices placed on the map like a game. Lord Tranced was seated, looking up with his dour expression, beside him was Nightfall leaning against the table and the hilt of the greatsword reaching almost to Lord Tranced's ear.

"You know why I'm here" Spoke a robed man standing opposite Andrew's father. His sword was drawn and Andrew could see the small black heart of house Toyne on the pommel.

The Lord of Storm's End looked up at the man "I do" "I'm Disappointed" he said with a frown.

"You sold my Family's Seat for a sword, You knew I'd be here" Andrew now knew who it was, and why the guards were gone, It was Lord Toyne.

Tranced looked almost resigned "Lord Tarth?, Maron?" He paused, breathed and spoke again "Arion?"

There was silence as the disgraced knight nodded. Andrew could see his grip tighten and begin to shake. "Just Martell" were his next words.

The Lord of Storm's end stood up. His Chair had fallen back and his hand was on Nightfall before Andrew blinked. He didn't draw the sword. "I know about your Hand, the King told me Terrence"

Andrew watched Toyne free his blade only to drop it a moment later from his wounds. The Knight panicked attempting to catch the sword with his other hand only to miss and have it clatter to the ground. Then he looked up, defeated before he ever could draw blood. The Lord of Storm's end had since walked away from the table now he stood just beyond Nightfall's length away from the Knight. Andrew did not want to be seen pulled his head away from the door.

"I know you feel I have wronged you, You'd sooner have me remembered as Tranced the Thief, What of your Daughters Terrence, Do you want them to be treated as the offspring of a traitor?"

The Knight looked at him, Andrew could no longer see his face but he could tell but from how his bad arm was shaking Andrew could tell he was angry. Lord Tranced reinforced his threat "Nobody will want them outside of Lys, or Slaver's Bay, Women wearing the heart of a dead house"

There was silence. Lord Toyne's hand continued to shake but Tranced spoke again anyway picking up the Knights sword from the ground "You have admitted to Maron Martell's Murder to me, For that I will allow you to take the Black, I'll ensure both your daughters to be well taken care of perhaps even wed to Lomas when he comes of age, For now you will follow me to the guards you haven't bribed and turn yourself In for the Murder of Maron Martell"

Then the Lord of Storms end took the sword and threw it across the tower, well out of reach. Lord Tranced then stood, and waited, and continued to wait for what seemed like an hour. Lord Toyne's Final reply came with a weak nod.

Last edited:
Oh, don't act innocent in this! If you had backed Myleria's claim WHEN I ASKED YOU TO, I wouldn't have had to join the Black Rose. I was counting on the Stormlander Swords and Dornish Spears to help me win this war, but where were they? Fighting alongside a House of traitors for their leaders' traitorous cause.

Hey man, don't lose a head over it. I'm sure things worked out for house Tully in the end. ;)

Gotta wait at least a day (probably) before we even get around to the fight, so no spoilers yet (though the final numbers did come out to something like 65000 on Rylla's end and 85000 on Jon's end).
Spoilers though: a lot of people died. A LOT of people.