• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a Tengri tribal, Drong certainly is the most promising choice, as he's got a good chance to reign Avaria and proceed to crush some others, go raiding, and then invade the surrounding realms with tribal armies.

And he is a more interesting character than Tuireann. The story he can tell about how he became disfigured must be fascinating, I bet. More than the cowards' in any case.

As a Tengri tribal, Drong certainly is the most promising choice, as he's got a good chance to reign Avaria and proceed to crush some others, go raiding, and then invade the surrounding realms with tribal armies.

And he is a more interesting character than Tuireann. The story he can tell about how he became disfigured must be fascinating, I bet. More than the cowards' in any case.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I like his mask.

Go Avars!

I wasn't expecting this to come round so quickly to me! Can you move my name down the list please? I'm really busy this week and won't be able to get any playtime in

I think that the Avars would be interesting; you have an opportunity to claim the Kingdom of Avaria/Pannonia, and as a Tengri you can expand fairly quickly with the invasion CB (though I would switch to another religion later on; Tengri isn't a very interesting religion in my opinion).

And I guess I'll claim (is there a claim list?).

Reactions:
I think that the Avars would be interesting; you have an opportunity to claim the Kingdom of Avaria/Pannonia, and as a Tengri you can expand fairly quickly with the invasion CB (though I would switch to another religion later on; Tengri isn't a very interesting religion in my opinion).

I agree on religion. Let's make some alternative history of Avars converting and making their nation state in the middle of Europe.

Reactions:
I wasn't expecting this to come round so quickly to me! Can you move my name down the list please? I'm really busy this week and won't be able to get any playtime in

Sure. Then it really is my turn then.

Added

I'm going with Chief Dong.

Drong is also younger then the Irishman, so that is an added plus. His intrigue score is also fairly amazing. I'm picturing him as less of a military conqueror (though he is no coward or slouch in combat) and more of a duplicitous and cunning opportunist.

The Phantom of Pannonia
Greetings, I am High Chief Drong of of Balaton. You may have noticed I wear a mask. Do you have a problem with it? I lost half my face to an axe some years ago. Deal with it.

Z7TqJwL.png

It doesn't stop me from getting any woman I want, for women find me irresistible. I have four lovers who think I am attractive. Yes, one of them is my sister. What of it?

soorKB9.png

yiAlAV4.png

de9fKXb.png

Here is my wife, Bozena. She is a pleasant-looking woman, fertile, and comes from good stock but she is not enough to satisfy my appetites. In a perfect world I would marry Maturkka but unfortunately our culture is plagued with ignorance and superstition. I hear that some cultures out east are more open-minded, however.

GEITM0l.png

These are my three children. The apple of my eye, Kurt, was poised to follow me as High Chief of Batalon but Tengri did not favor him and he choked on a chicken bone. He would have been a great warrior like his father, but Tengri laughs at the plans of mortals. My second-born, Onegavon, is a worthy heir but I fear my vassals will not choose him to take my place if I pass away before he reaches adulthood. I must not let that happen.

pElIYrk.png

4rykx2z.png

CM2kjxz.png

My petty, squabbling kinsmen decide on a different random cousin to succeed me every month but one thing is clear: they do not want my son, at least not yet. If Onegavon does not win the election, however, then Dioclea passes to him but Balaton passes to the elected heir. The whole of Dioclea only consists of two provinces that border the Adriatic and are disconnected from the rest of the kingdom and the result would still be catastrophic for our dynasty. Can't these fools see? I truly hate my family, except for my beautiful sister.

EmqcQyK.png

l5WIbXh.png

My council is fairly talented, though it could use some reshuffling.

CbAUgXe.png

I make Chief Barjik my steward, a position he is better suited to. I then fire Khinialon, who is useless and a heathen to boot, and hire Chief Yaghu as chancellor. I have optimized by council and placated my aggravating cousin-vassals in one stroke.

LeNQ1S1.png

uVvsizh.png

I leave my one-handed kinslayer brother who despises me as court physician. Perhaps this is not a wise choice but he is skilled with medicine and seeing his deformity makes me feel better about my mask. I hope I do not come to regret this decision.

o1nXqZG.png

With my business organized it is time to plan my next move. If I want to gain any real power, I need to get closer to the king. Fortunately the king has need of good plotters like myself. I ask the king to take the spot of spymaster and wait.

ADsOZ3x.png

I should also ask help from my ancestors. Perhaps they will grant prosperity to my realm.

SIIelmM.png

I could give my ancestors one of my hands but I do not wish to look like my brother. The ancestors will have to be pleased with a sacrifice. I choose Usunbike because she is old and useless. No one will miss her except her foolish daughter.

lq4vnTK.png

Sadly the old bat does not understand the great honor being conferred upon such an unworthy specimen such as herself. The business is bloody but pleasing. The ancestors should be satisfied.

TxaqPXk.png

Apparently the sacrifice came too late as the foolish king rejected my offer. His Slavic gods must have given him poor advice. I must find other opportunities to expand my glory. I do not have much time left before Tengri takes me and I cannot afford to waste time leading troops for a king who does not appreciate me.

Gjq9zEY.png

bOIi8nX.png

As I look down the Danube I see my answer: Bulgaria. I have a claim on Pannonia but it is too weak for anyone to recognize and even if it was not I would not have enough strength to defeat the king. However, if I could manage to sack the land of the Bulgars and make them my tribute I would gain buckets full of gold, soldiers, and respect. My standing would raise high enough to recruit another army and then who knows what could happen. I summon the tribes and prepare for war.

QdYNHME.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
What a pleasant character, Drong. He clearly was the right choice, no matter how it turns out.

Reactions:
Drong the Bulgar-Slayer
Our warrior march valiantly off to war. Unfortunately, their social inferiors think that this is a good time to rebel. Those jesters say they want "rights" and lower taxes? Laughable. I will kill them (he doesn't- the king does).

JMRLqG7.png

I lead the army against our foe at Severin. I predict a great victory, even as more Bulgar reinforcements arrive.

fW5JQi2.png

xl21aQx.png

Oh

Q5myW0E.png

NAcjP5s.png

(I think the problem was my 20 martial guy got swapped with a lesser fighter when some of my reinforcements came. Gah.)

My relatives are useless, all of them! We can't even beat degenerates Bulgars with greater numbers. My brother even botches my his medical care of my son. I am tempted to imprison him but it was only a mistake and definitely not intentional. After all, he promised not to conspire against me and a brother's word is gold. I shall grant him another chance.

LEnE8Or.png

UblqHHi.png

In the meantime we siege the Bulgarian capital and wait while they siege Ragusa. My only hope is that their capital falls quickly and we can somehow capture the king, or that disease wipes out some of their army. I pray to Tengri for good fortune.

TKZu17E.png

And my prayers are answered! Some harlot rebels against the Bulgar king and their realm is torn in two. This is my opportunity.

CxlelBI.png

Tengri continues to smile upon me as Chief Barjik has convinced a group of warriors to fight for me. Victory is now assured.

juGlOn8.png

The fools fight amongst themselves. I shall attack the Bulgar king when he is weakened.

b5BmJ2E.png

Unfortunately, the harlot queen does not give me a chance as she crosses the river before we can march from Severin. No matter, their troops are tired and crossing a river so we shall certainly win.

01PNdMs.png

But I am knocked unconscious during the battle (I didn't realize I wasn't leading the flank anymore for some reason) and our troops are routed. Why does great Tengri rise me up only to cast me down?

nMlF2D1.png

We retreat to the mountains. I realize it is time to make some rapid changes if I want to triumph in this struggle. I see that one of my maiden courtiers is well-suited for spycraft and I hire her as my spymaster and in the process fire my wife. She is outraged but I do not care. If we want to win then we will need intrigue and cunning, not the nagging of a shrewish wife.

0zaQILb.png

I also am informed that I have enough standing amongst our people to raise a private tribal army. With this band of tribesmen we shall outnumber both Bulgar factions and certainly triumph.

WFGNMKV.png

We chase down the king's army. He is desperately outnumbered and stands no chance against our might.

ObeEn8a.png

FsecpRw.png

crrZ1zG.png

During my epic struggle I discover that the king had been fighting his own war against Bohemia and that he had managed to conquer the realm from one of his kinsmen. Does he expect me to congratulate him on such a trifling accomplishment? Everyone knows that the Bohemians are weaker than Avar women. Soon I shall have my own triumph that will vastly exceed the king's own.

iUAd88o.png

Then one day, everything vanishes. The coward king surrenders to the whore queen, thus invalidating my own fight by the rules of warfare. Even worse, the tribal army disappears in the middle of the night after they hear the news as one of their spokesmen later "regretfully" informs me that ancient custom dictates they must immediately disband at the conclusion of a war. I cannot stand his insolence and so I kill him. It seems that the gods have conspired to take everything from me. Now I have nothing. I embarked on this venture to gain riches, men, and glory but I am left with less money, less soldiers, and less glory than I had at the beginning.

vTPB64Q.png

Hq66NT2.png

My only option now is to wait. I must allow my levies to replenish, the harvest to come in, and a tempting target to present itself. Fortunately. there are many on the borders of the kingdom.

Reactions:
Drong seems cursed by fate. Hasn't Tengri long cast away his eyes from the Avars when they were subjugated? Time to make him look again.

At least this Khanum Tura seems to be an as interesting character as Drong is :p.

Is Anatolia still Greek? Then the Shia Caliph might have had a hard time, seeing as he comitted his magically recovering event troops to the war ;).

Last edited:
Real good story. Go Drong! Hope his dynasty survives and is picked up by other player later in the game, what a patriarch and a gentleman he is.