• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It'd be an honor. Could you give me some more info such as his rank and position (was he a rifleman or an officer, etc.)

He was in the Coast Guard. During the first part of the war (1942-1943) he guarded the TVA dams, helping to power our war industry. In mid 1943, he was transfered to a Destroyer patrolling the Mississippi. In 1945, he was assigned to LST 1142 and sailed it to the jumping off point for Operation Olympic. Before he got there, Japan surrendered and he had occupation duty until 1946. He was a coxswain. I still have his manual of naval steam engines on my bookshelf. An interesting story is he was dropped off in Hawaii to recuperate after a brick broke his foot. He nearly missed the planned invsion.

Can you include someone related to me? :p

My grandfathers second-cousin who worked for the soviets?
A damned Finnish communist who betrayed our country. :mad:

Akseli Anttila. (not my family name...)
In some mod I believe he would be the defence ministry of a communist Finland would Stalin decide to set up a puppet there. :p

He could a cruel soviet general hating the civilians. :D
He was actually a general and served in Berlin 1945 also.
But then Stalin removed him from his command because he didn't want that a Finnish/Soviet general would be leading some Red divisions into Berlin. :rolleyes:
More I don't know.
But he was a commie.

Turtledove: Your grandfather will be a character in Operation Coronet.

Enewald: There will be no more Soviet characters in this AAR as they've generally played out their part. But I promiss you I can make him appear in my next epic HOI3 AAR (which will hopefully debut somewhere in the fall). The Soviet Union and a Finnish SSR will play a role so I'll give him a cameo. A real character would probably feel contrived as in that area of the world has little to do directly in my story. Just remember this request if you can and remind me when I start that AAR. There will be a HOI3 AAR in between but that will be small scale (a gameplay test). You'll recognize that epic AAR when you see it.

Turtledove: Your grandfather will be a character in Operation Coronet.

Thank you. One bit of background. During the war, my Grandpa was penpals with my Grandmother. They met through a PR scheme that had girls on the homefront be penpals with members of the armed forces. When he got out of the Navy, he went home to St. Louis and married her. Her name was Glenda M. Worthy.

With the Soviet invasion of Hokkaido in the north and Operation Olympic in the south roughly on schedule, victory over Japan seemed like a matter of time. Yet it was not as easy. Both in Hokkaido and Kyushu, the mountainous terrain offered ideal defensive positions. While the valleys where the landings took place quickly fell into allied hands, the hills and mountains of Japan offered the defenders an ideal position from where to launch hit-and-run attacks. The purpose of Operation Olympic was to set up a staging area for Operation Coronet. With constant attacks this would not be possible. So the Japanese presence in the operation area had to be completely neutralized. That meant going into the mountains.

olympic.jpg

Even though they had complete air supremacy, the caves of southern Kyushu provided perfect shelter against the constant bombing. In the valleys below, the civilian population that had remained behind offered both passive and active aggression.

With the major beachheads fully secured after a week of fighting, another major Allied offensive was planned. Under the cover of night Allied forces would move into the mountains en masse, hoping to take the Japanese defenders by surprise and destroy as many mountain strongholds as possible. Helping them were several light tanks, who proved excellent at quickly taking out defensive positions, even though they were vulnerable to enemy fire and were slow to move through the thick forest of southern Kyushu.

To be continued…

Last edited:
How quickly would you anticipate the Japanese resistance being broken?

A very good and very well written AAR!
Subscribed! :)

Under the cover of night Allied forces would move into the mountains en masse, hoping to take the Japanese defenders by surprise and destroy as many mountain strongholds as possible.

How can the Americans take the Japanese by surprise when the Japanese know they are coming?

Yeah, I doubt this American attack will go well.

As for tanks, the Home Islands was full of the new and improved tanks at the end of the war, the Americans will be facing MUCH tougher opposition in terms of Armour.

Surprise by moving through the cover of darkness. Both the Japs and Yanks can't see far.

That makes sense. This is taking place in a time before infrared goggles.

Yeah, I doubt this American attack will go well.

As for tanks, the Home Islands was full of the new and improved tanks at the end of the war, the Americans will be facing MUCH tougher opposition in terms of Armour.

There were three tank divisions in Kyushu. While the air supremacy would take out quite a few, the terrain would allow for an excellent defense use. Mobile artillery so to speak. American tanks would probably take on a Vietnam-like role and act as cover and as a breaching force. No large tank battles on the islands I think.

December 7th, 1945
In the mountains near Miyakonojo

It was the middle of the night. A crescent moon barely illuminated the landscape. Private Bobby Hale and his platoon were trudging up the hill. Behind them lay the mostly secured Miyazaki Valley. An elaborate trench system had helped the Japanese to defend the valley vigorously for a whole week but in the end the Allied troops were too great a number and the Japanese were forced to retreat into the mountains.
They moved at night as the attack wouldn’t be spotted until it was too late. With the large number of Japanese troops and their knowledge of the terrain, anything that worked in the favor of the Allied troops was put to use.

Insects were buzzing all around them and a cloud of mosquito’s followed the soldiers everywhere they went. Japan wasn’t the most comfortable place to fight in.
Suddenly the sergeant walking in front stopped. He rose up his arm, signaling everyone to stop. They heard movement and Clayton ordered everyone to crouch.
“Thunder,” they heard someone whisper. “Flash,” replied the sergeant. Their scout moved into sight and reported to the sergeant. “Enemy position up ahead. Three MGs plus a small network of trenches behind it. It’s nothing big but we can’t move around it.”
“The geography?” Clayton asked. The scout said: “A small stream in front of the MGs. There’s some cover in the center and plenty of jungle on either side.” Clayton turned around and said to the group: “Johnson, Mallard, Fargo, you take the right. Wait for a signal. Delaney, Martinez, Peters, you take the left. Wait for the signal. Hale, Robinson, you’re with me. We’ll attack through the center and get the attention of those MGs.”

Hale wasn’t all too happy with that order but he followed the sergeant anyway. Quietly the platoon got into their positions. The three man squads moved through the jungle on the left and right of the encampment while the three men in the middle moved through the high grass into cover overlooking the encampment.
The private watched the Japanese go about their business. Some were sleeping others were watching the perimeter. The officer was sitting next to the campfire, rifling through a stack of papers. Suddenly he jumped up, listening carefully. One of the soldiers in the bushes must’ve made a sound because the officer started shouting orders waking the sleeping soldiers.
“Open fire!” shouted Sergeant Clayton. Hale took aim at the MG-gunner and fired a few shots. In the dark it was more difficult to precisely aim because all his shots missed. The gunner opened fire in the direction of Hale. Luckily the sergeant managed to take out the gunner.

There were more soldiers then they bargained for. The trench system had been a little more elaborate and soon soldiers came pouring out of an underground bunker. Most of the original Jap soldiers had been taken out but the new troops managed to even out the odds.
“Charge,” ordered Sergeant Clayton. The three gunners had been taken out and Hale got on his feet as quickly as possible. They ran down the small hill. A Japanese soldier spotted the men running down and shot Robinson but was taken out himself by Clayton’s Thompson. The two men crossed the stream and jumped over the sandbags. The battle had degenerated in close quarters combat, involving more melee than bullets.
Hale jumped into the trench and shot an approaching Jap. He proceeded down the trench until he got to the entrance of the bunker. A soldier turned the corner. Startled by the sudden appearance of the American, he frantically tried to raise up his rifle but before he got the chance Hale punched him in the head with the but of his rifle. While the fighting continued above, the young private went into the bunker. It was empty. He ran back outside. When he got out of the trench he saw nothing but death.

Countless bodies, both American and Japanese lay dead on the ground. He looked around. A few feet away he saw the sergeant shooting another Japanese soldier. On the other side of the campfire he saw the Japanese officer pulling his sword from Private Mallard’s dead body. He spotted Hale approaching, raised his pistol and fired twice. One shot hit his shoulder, the other his torso. The rifle fell from Hale’s hands and he fell down on his knees. He could see Sergeant Clayton reacting to the shot. Both him and the officer tried to shoot at the other but they were both out of bullets. Realizing his submachinegun was now useless; Clayton dropped it on the ground and pulled out his knife.

“Listen champ,” he said. “I was the high school fencing champion, so you should better just give up.” The officer replied in Japanese and then their dance of death began. Normally a knife against a sword would be an uneven battle but Clayton’s skill with the steel put him on equal footing with the katana-wielding officer. The fighters struck and parried in front of the campfire, looking like shadows on a wall to Hale. Clayton lunged forward and managed to cut the officer’s arm, but he was immediately on the defense again. Fighting against with a knife against a sword was extremely difficult as the knife-wielder had considerably less range. Yet Clayton managed himself quite well. He exceeded in speed what he lacked in range. In a poorly defended moment the Jap managed to wound Clayton as well. But they kept on going.

The officer gained the upper hand and worked Clayton into a corner. The sergeant was having more and more difficulty keeping the officer at bay and finally the officer managed to knock the knife out of his hands. He tripped and fell down, now completely defenseless. The officer raised the sword above his head and drove it into Clayton’s chest. Blood started spewing from his mouth but he managed to grab hold of a Japanese rifle. With almost superhuman strength he drove the bayonet on top of the rifle through the officer’s stomach, lifting him off the ground. Then the last of his strength left him and the officer feel on top of them. Hale’s eyes went blurry and ultimately black.

Last edited:
An interesting fight. Night fights never go as planned and this one seemed to be a bit bloodier than expected.

Wow, that was an intense duel to the death.

December 7th, 1941
In the mountains near Miyakonojo

I guess these people traveled back in time.