• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the author is the famous artist from England George Formby. He who sings "Maginot Line" and "When im cleaning windows". (I not sure about the titles but.....)

The goons? Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan cannot remember the rest...
The saying "the shit hits the fan" has its first recorded use circa 1930 but is officially noted in any dictionary from 1967 onwards.
So that rules George Formby out.
Unless we are looking for an AARlander author? Then it has to be Llywelyn

Last edited:
For sure it was the bankers who won the war. They can never lose, ever.
Sometimes they do...
Rogues-of-the-recession-B-003.jpg

What you are looking at is one of the few exceptions that confirm the general rule. Also, the smart bankers don't get caught as they build their empires through anonymous channels. So if one of their businesses fall over, it can not be traced back to them.

Or... the "I can make you a very wealthy man, if you do this this and this for me" type of offers to other businessmen. Making them the front figure. A shining example of that would be the empire of J.P. Morgan, which wasn't (isn't) really all his own, at all.

Ok enough of that...

Last edited:
Unless we are looking for an AARlander author? Then it has to be Llywelyn

He is from this forum, yes.

About my earlier comment....read an article yesterday in which a writer claimed the war was 75% won by the US, pissed me off as you can imagine. Ok, they did have a fair share in the war but nothing compared to the USSR, the stuborn Brits, the Chinese and so on.

Reading the earlier comment on the 1941 counteroffensives being conducted with Mathildas and Hurricanes the claim gets another blow.

Guess this is the everlasting battle in history of fact vs. truth like my fellow Dutchmen all claiming to be with the resistance while in fact I felt ashamed reading accounts of German soldiers in Holland. Nothing happend, they could walk through the countryside, alone, unarmed....even in '43 and '44. The Dutch coloberated and only a handfull performed some resistance work, most if it stupidly at that. Nothing like the heroic Polish.

Another example being the May 40 airlanding in Holland....Dutch army claimed it destroyed over 50% of the German planes....you should read German accounts.....

Enough of my rambling, time for another update.

Chapter six: showing my teeth, The Odessa front part I

I have refrained posting pictures of the Odessa front so far as I wanted to depict this battle in some more detail. The battle started on July 22nd as soon as the German and Rumanian forces crossed and was one of the most interesting I have played so far in HOI3. As the German forces rumbled across the border in the west their counterparts moved north into Soviet occupied Bessarabia Their allies, the Rumanians advanced on both sides of the strong German army. Directly in the path of the German forces were two Soviet divisions, which attempted to hold their ground. On the Black sea coast another of my divisions was stationed but this one withdrew to more a more favourable position as soon as the vengeful Rumanian troops crossed the border.

2rqh74k.jpg

I wasn’t so much afraid for the Rumanian troops as I doubted their quality and thought I could overwhelm them with superior numbers if the need would arise. My worries however were with the Fritz’s armoured corps, which was able to rumble through the huge gaps in my line at will. And so they did.
More to the west of the defensive area around Odessa there was nothing but emptiness, all the way to the Hungarian border and beyond. Was Stavka thinking the Carpathian Mountains would hold back the enemy? Because they didn’t.

From the Crimea, Kiev and beyond the Dnjepr I quickly send in reinforcements to plug the biggest gap in my lines. If I wouldn’t the enemy would be able to encircle Odessa quickly, depriving me of it’s airfield and Black Sea port. Next on their schedule would be a crossing of the Dnjepr and the capture of Kiev. And thus even the Orel Front reserves were called in. These troops hadn’t been mobilized yet, had organisation and strength but I might well need them if the Odessa front can’t hold the line.​

2cnjxhw.jpg

The three corps’ in Odessa are split up. Two of them will dig in and defend their namesake city while the mechanized corps (two armoured, one motorized and one cavalry divisions) moves to the west of the defensive front, which is created. If the German spearhead crashes through the thinly held front they will win time by counterattacking them from the flank.

Two corps dig in in the province of Illiohivsk, due south of Odessa. While the corps stationed on the coast retreats to this position as well. Not without taking casualties alas. The first enemy spearhead already flanks them and races to the north. In Tiraspol Kutyshkov’s corps’ distract themselves from the onrushing enemy forces and encirclement with difficulty. Our men are not outfought but outmanoeuvred and now it will depend on speed if my divisions will survive.
3164605.jpg

Due to a Rumanian lack of vigour the corps stationed on the coast is able to escape the trap prepared for it in the end. Losses are considerable but at least the divisions are saved to fight another day inside the trenches in front of Odessa.

Kutyshkov’s troops are now in serious peril. Having retreated some 50 kilometres in the last few days of battle they are unable to hold back an entire German army assailing them from the south and eastern flank. But, unfortunately, they will have to keep fighting, as the Odessa front is still not ready for a proper defence. Casualties, however, mount at an alarming rate and the battle is seriously going against them.​

14dfyg6.jpg

Maybe this has been asked before, but what does the striped land indicate, undefended or contested?

Again I have asked this before but i am really curious as to whether the ai looks like it has a plan it is fighting to or is it just reacting to your moves?
And if it does how historical is it?

That said it looks like the Romanian AI is fighting together with the German ai?

So somehow Romania 'owns' Bessarabia which furthermore is controlled by you at the beginning of Barbarossa?

Or they got a event given 'ownership' over their former provinces?

Maybe this has been asked before, but what does the striped land indicate, undefended or contested?

Again I have asked this before but i am really curious as to whether the ai looks like it has a plan it is fighting to or is it just reacting to your moves?
And if it does how historical is it?

That said it looks like the Romanian AI is fighting together with the German ai?

The striped land is a part of Bessarabia occupied by the Soviets.

It not only looks like the AI has a plan and fights coherently and in cooperation with it allies, it feels like it as well. They put pressure on the weakest part of a front, exploit oppurtunities, encircle and try to relieve encircled troops. I can be me but I haven't seen things like this done by the AI in HOI2.

"North of Brest-Litovsk, near Varana, on the border, a counterattack is made to keep open the line of retreat of Govorov Corps. The attack is a success and we throw back Bohme’s infantry division form its exposed position."

Is the German OOB correct? Most infantry divisons would, in HOI terms, have had 4 regiments and 1 brigade. You should have a lot of problems dislodging a German infantry division during the initial phase of Barbarossa, unless you use an entire army. Maybe this one was weaker?

I don't see any dates, could you give dates to the battles so we can place the advance in an historical timeframe?

The picture I see has higher casualties for the Germans and quite low for the USSR...Do you have a lot of mech corpses in the south, consisting of tanks etc, that should be just below the marshes that aren't mashes yet.

Another example being the May 40 airlanding in Holland....Dutch army claimed it destroyed over 50% of the German planes....you should read German accounts.....

Regardless of the precise German casualties (wikipedia does claim 50% of transport craft, almost entirely by AA defence), the paralandings at The Hague were one of the few hefty German defeats during Fall Gelb. Much of the lost transport aircraft were never rebuild, making landings in England or on Crete substantially more difficult.
The main effect is probably the German command lost confidence in Airborne assaults, and directed their resources elsewere.

About the resistance I agree, most Dutchmen claiming to have been "in the resistance" started hiding some illegal papers or forging ration cards no earlier then '44. The sheltering of jews, allied pilots and forced labourers was probably the largest form of dangerous resistance in The Netherlands. Armed resistance was almost non-existant.
In fact the commitment of Dutch volunteers for the NSB and SS units to the eastern front was much more substantial. (Many of the survivors would later serve in Korea as they could not find work at home but were very experienced soldiers.)

The French Foreign Legion also took in former Wehrmacht (and indeed SS) soldiers and officers post-war. Most of these veteran soldiers perished at Dien Bien Phu in 1954.

Last edited:
Thanks for new stuff!!!

One Question:
Did you had really bloody battles so far?
The battle summary in your screens shows something like about 1% losses...

I am afriad we could see battles like in EU:Rome where 200000 men fighting for 2 weeks and at end the one who gets defeated had casualties about 10 men :rofl:

Please tell me, i don't have to worry!

What I don't get is, USSR has 220 IC. An infantry division costs 11 IC. So at a stretch the USSR can build maybe 14 infantry at any one time, and if it takes 120 days to build one division, that means the USSR can mobilise a totally underwhelming 42 divs a year or 160 odd from 1941-45. Of 9,000 men each.

So the massive mobilisation the Soviet Union went through after the loss of millions of men, a mobilisation that put tens of millions into uniform, is reduced to less than 1.5 million and totally - pulls the rug from under - the USSR while also not even being a little bit historical. I'm a bit... disappointed?

Combat troops only represent a small portion of a countrys military strength. The vast majority are involved in logistics. For many countries in WWII approximately 30% of a nations forces were combat units. The rest supplies, support, maintainance, etc....