• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That would be an effective tactic for suppressing the partisans; I'm not saying it wouldn't. But the anti-partisan sweeps would take a very long time to have a significant effect, and would require Siwan Khan to dedicate a large percentage of his total army to rear area security... which is about as much as you can hope for from partisan operations in any event.

The best partisans will either disrupt logistics or prod the enemy into pulling back a lot of troops back to stop them. They're not going to defeat an entire army by themselves or anything, and it would be unreasonable to expect them to.

But by the same token, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Siwan's Kharash tactics will have been as effective as the average armchair strategist might think at eliminating the partisan threat.
_______

That said, Siwan Khan appears to be doing it for a different reason. It might be a practical solution to the partisan problem (if not a 100% effective one); I'm not sure. But in a modern context, it doesn't make as much sense as it did in the 12th century.

So I think a big part of the reason is simply that Siwan is a brute. He sees no problem with doing this, and is probably pleased to do it. The long-term consequences aren't going to be the same as they were when Fu tried it back in his salad days.

I strongly suspect that this one had a double intent. Being crushed alive may be an honorable death in Mongol eyes, but I'm sure the Mongols involved knew quite well that it was an extremely painful and unpleasant way to die. And sitting on them while they expire doesn't strike me as necessary for the honor of the thing.

Thus, crushing Russian princes most likely served a double purpose. On the one hand, it was an honorable way to kill off a troublesome enemy ruler in Mongol culture, thus satisfying the Mongols that they had shown respect to their defeated enemy. On the other hand, it sends a message to all potential troublemakers: "continue to make trouble and we will kill you slowly and painfully in a way you would never have imagined before." As opposed to "make trouble and we will give you an honorable death."

As you say, the Mongols were very competent. It seems likely that they knew quite well what kind of psychological effect some of their actions would have on the foreigners they conquered.

That was my point, the Kharash concept is wholly inappropriate in a modern war.

They definitely weren't a modern army. They were however very fierce fighters, accustomed to immense hardships, superb horsemen and had long traditions of warfare. What set them apart from the run of the mill steppe warrior who is also a fierce fighter, good horseman and acustomed to hardship is that they were very disciplined (the average steppe warrior hates having to follow orders), very motivated (the average steppe warrior, when not defending his tribe, is only interested in quick booty and loses interest in fighting quickly when faced with difficulty) and above all led by brilliant leaders who knew how to lead large armies and who could get skilled foreigners to help them whenever native Mongol talent did not suffice. (f.ex. siege engineers)

When I say they were a modern army, I don't mean that they had rifles. What they had was a very sophisticated signaling system, a combined arms mentality, and the ability to move faster than any other army on Earth before the arrival of tanks.

When you list the differences between the mongols and the average steppe warrior, you act like these traits are somehow typical for other 12th century armies. Having all loot and booty allotted after the battle by a central authority is different from every other army of the time. Using captured enemy weapons against other enemies, merit based promotion, extensive intelligence operations and reconnaissance, these would not become standard in Europe until the late 1700's. That was the great innovation of Genghis Khan, take warriors who are already skilled and then organize them like a modern army.

I've finished reading to the last update, and it's magnificient, I can't tell anything else. It's worthy of being published, indeed.

PS: If, suddenly from nowhere, Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS appeared in this AAR, I wouldn't be surprised.

I’m going to have to answer your various comments in the great debate about the American Front of the war jointly, because if I answered each post it would be never-ending. Rest assured though that I have read every post with great interest and taken your many good points to heart.

Regarding Karash
The Karash of Siwan Khan is obviously not the same as that of Genghis Khan. Where Genghis used enemy civilians as human shields, Siwan Khan uses them as road interdiction devices – this is actually the primary objective, clogging the supply lines and supply system of the USA with refugees. How damaging this can be was seen in OTL in France and the Low Countries in 1940. In the American war, this problem is compounded because the numbers of refugees is hugely larger and the number of roads, as stated, very limited. The US supply columns move against a human tidal wave, and free America also has to accommodate and feed millions of refugees – never an easy undertaking at the best of times, and a colossal problem under the present circumstances.

Siwan’s take on Karash also makes it at all possible to occupy half a continent with a few hundred thousand men, (most of which are at the front) by radically altering the numerical balance between the occupied and the occupiers. On the other hand, as stated, those that have stayed behind are almost all willing and able to fight, and there are no civilians to use for retributive intimidation (like the Germans were so fond of doing). The end result it that there is no more and no less resistance than there would have been with a proper occupation army and all the civilian population in place – but this end result is achieved with a fraction of the manpower otherwise necessary. To solve the problem of labour for occupied industries and resource production, Chinese civilians have been brought in very great numbers. After final victory, Siwan plans to set them up as a master class, much like the British colony in India.

Finally, and as was correctly pointed out, Siwan Khan is a demented brute, brimming over with hatred because of his earlier defeats, his lobotomy and incarceration in an asylum. Killing and terrorizing the Americans is for him an end in itself. He rejoices in bloodshed. If he manages to reduce the US population by a third or more, he’ll only regret he wasn’t even more vicious.

Regarding logistics
While many relevant points are made in the discussion regarding the deficient infrastructure in western and central USA, one critical issue is not taken sufficiently into account. When comparing with the German woes in Russia, it must be remembered that the Pan-Asian invasion force is minute in comparison with the three Army Groups that stormed into Russia in 1941, something in the order of 1/8 or so. And these forces are supplied by nine or ten good paved roads, where the Wehrmacht had none. The motor pool available is plentiful because of captured vehicles and it’s not being shaken to pieces on the good roads at least. From them to the various units far from the roads and rail heads, there might well be some attrition, but again this pales in comparison with the German problems.

In addition, a large part of Pan-Asia’s mobile forces are powered not by engines but by horses, and can be expected to do quite a lot of foraging for themselves. Grazing, in some areas at least, should be possible.

Regarding the use of Cavalry
The fight at Last Chance was not typical for the theatre. Mostly the fighting has been very fluid, with ill-defined fronts and running battles of manoeuvre, usually US infantry falling back as their open flanks were turned by cavalry and then being overrun by superior cavalry forces while on the move. In this kind of warfare, cavalry is actually very effective. But whenever well-equipped regular US infantry digs in and stands its ground, all the Mongols can do is to go around them.

Kurt Steiner, to celebraty your weekly AARward as promised, here goes a special one for you!

Last edited:
Abilene, Texas
United States of America

August 29th, 1940

steam-train.jpg

Pan-Asian soldiers threw open the doors to the box car and prodded the three POWs inside with their bayonets. It was packed with men in US Army uniform, prisoners from the last offensive. There were only a handful NCO’s or privates among them, all of Asian blood.

‘Take it easy! His going as fast as he can!’ Indy barked as one of the soldiers rifle-butted Short Round in the back. All it gain him was a similar treatment. Indy collapsed on the wooden floor of the wagon, grimacing with pain.

‘Sir, it’s a bad idea to talk back to them!’ said Lietuenant Aristoteles Savalas.

‘No—shit!’ Indy groaned.

The doors slammed shut and there was a metallic sound as the soldiers threw the bars locked.

‘Dr Jones! Dr Henry “Indiana” Jones! Is that really you?’

The voice that rose among the packed prisoners carried a heavy German accent, but more surprisingly, it was female.

‘What— Hannah?’ Indy sat up to see Hannah Reitsch walk gingerly between the sitting men filling up the wagon floor. A disgustingly handsome captain wearing USAAC insignia followed close behind her, looking decidedly uncomfortable. Both struggled not to loose their balance in the shaking box car.

‘It’s Colonel Reitsch to you, sonny!’ the pilot informed Indy, none too friendly. Hannah seemed far too happy at finding Jones for Buck’s taste.

‘ShutupBuck.’ Hannah sat down next to the archaeologist and gave him a hug and a kiss on the check. Indy returned it somewhat coldly and included Buck in a cold stare.

‘So this is James’s replacement, eh? I can’t say that I was sorry to hear you dropped him but you broke his heart, Lady.’

‘Just who’s this geezer anyway?!’ Buck asked in irritation. He knew a ladies man when he saw one.

‘Dr Jones is a world famous archaeologist and adventurer Buck. It was he who discovered the tomb of Attila last year, remember? He’s also James’s father… And we go way back, Indy and I. Shanghai, Antarctica…’

‘And Yucatan’, Indy interjected. ‘Let’s not forget Yucatan. You showed were your true loyalties lie there Nazi gal – you sided with that madman Duhrn!’

‘That… was a mistake. I’ve learnt to loathe Günther Duhrn far more than you could possibly imagine. And in any case, don’t you think I deserve a little bit of slack, on account of me putting my life on the line for America these last few months?’

‘On account of…? You’ve been hanging out too much with Tex here!’ Indy said laughing.

Buck Rogers did not smile.

‘Look,’ Hannah insisted, ‘let bygones be bygones, Ja? The important thing is that we’re all friends here, and POWs. If we can cooperate to escape, then all the better, and I couldn’t have picked better associates for a prison break!’

Indy nodded at that. ‘All right, you do make sense’, and only to annoy Rogers he added ‘and you’re far too cute to be angry with anyway, Colonel! Now let me present my two brothers in misfortune; this is Lieutenant Aristoteles Savalas…’

Yuma, Arizona
United States of America

August 29th, 1940

steiner.jpg

Hours later, the train had stopped. The POWs in cattle car could hear how one after another, the other wagons were opened and the occupants driven out by screaming Pan-Asians. The sounds came gradually closer until soldiers crashed open the sliding door to their wagon and dozens of Pan-Asian soldiers armed with rifles and bayonets began to empty it, employing copious shouting and beatings. Outside was a stockyard. The terrain was typical of the borderlands with Mexico, arid, dusty, ochre-yellow. A red evening sun hang over the western horizon.

‘Welcome to Camp Yuma, White Devils!’ a Pan-Asian Sergeant shouted with heavy accent. ‘Get out! Out! Out!’

When Indy was about to comply promptly – because he didn’t feel like getting kicked around for no good reason – the Pan-Asian sergeant stopped him with a wave of his pistol.

‘NO! You and the woman, VIP POWs! Sit! You go on to San Francisco, meet the Viceroy!’

Indy’s mouth fell open.

‘Indy!’ Short Round shouted desperately as Pan-Asian soldiers dragged him away from the rail car, kicking and squirming.

‘Hannah!’ Buck Rogers called in much similar fashion. Both immediately became the object of sharp corrective measures, which involved kicks and a lot of screaming.

‘Telly! Look after Short Round for me!’ Indy had time to shout before the doors slammed shut again, leaving Hannah and Indy alone in the gloom.

‘The Viceroy? What does that monster want with us?’ Hannah said, sounding forlorn. She curled up against the wall, hugging her knees.

Indy sat down beside her as the train lolled into motion again. ‘I have no idea sweetie, but I don’t like it one bit.’

‘At least they didn’t spot Buck. He was the one who crippled and almost killed the Viceroy, you know, when he strafed his ass with a Fu fighter. Siwan Khan strikes me as the vindictive type.’

‘That was him?’ Indy grinned. ‘I like that punk better already!’

‘You think they’ll be all right, Dr Jones?’ she asked, looking up at Indy with those colossal blue eyes of hers.

‘I hope so. Your boy seems resourceful enough, and Short Round is wickedly clever. With Telly helping them, they should be out of there in no time, you’ll see.’

She smiled sadly. ‘You’re trying to comfort me, aren’t you, Dr Jones?’

Passing an arm over her shoulders was automatic. She didn’t seem to mind though. ‘Call me Indy, please. We’re in shit deep enough to lay off the titles.’

She leaned her head on his shoulder. ‘Now you’re doing a piss poor job of it though. Indy… I’m scared.’

‘I’m scared too, but It’ll be all right’, he said. It sounded foolish even in his own ears.

****​
Buck, Telly, Short Round and all the other recently unloaded POWs found themselves into a compound surrounded by barbed wire. There were wooden barracks, dust, a few cacti and not much else, excepting large numbers of POWs, mostly Americans but also a few Germans in dishevelled Feldgrau uniforms. An inordinately large proportion of them were officers, maybe a third.

A German Major in black pilot leather jacket with Fallschirmjäger insignia and a peaked cap on his head approached them. Slightly puff-eyed, he seemed to be in his mid thirties.

‘I saw you get unloaded – you were with Oberst Reitsch, right?’

He spoke British English perfectly, without even the slightest trace of German accent.

‘Who wants to know?’ Buck said sullenly.

The German saluted formally, even smacking his heels together. Only the slightest crook to the corner of his mouth betrayed he wasn’t as Prussianly serious as he might have been. ‘Major Kurt Steiner, formerly 7th Flieger-Division, more recently the 37th Reconaissance Battalion, 7th Panzer-Division.’

‘Lieutenant Aristoteles Savalas, Colorado National Guard, Sir!’

‘And I’m Captain William Rogers, US Army Air Corps.’

‘Welcome to Yuma POW camp, gentlemen. But tell me, your young yellow friend here, can he be trusted?’

Short Round made a face and stuck out his tongue at the tall German. ‘You smell very badly Mister!’

Steiner laughed, but his blue-grey eyes were still hard.

‘I’d trust him more than you anyway, kraut!’ Telly said hotly.

‘That’s good to know, since he’s clearly less American than I. That’s not a joke - my mother was American, from Boston, you see. Does he speak Mandarin or Japanese?’

Telly shook his head. ‘Cantonese, actually. He deserted from the other side to warn us about the Pan-Asian offensive. And our captain knew him before the war, worked with him doing archaeology in China. He trusted the boy with his life, and so do I.’

‘Archaeology? Have I heard of him?’

‘Perhaps, Dr Henry Jones of Marshall College, he discovered Attila’s tomb last…’

‘Indiana Jones!’ Steiner laughed. ‘My God, that was a fantastic find! I read all about it in the papers. And you served with this man? Congratulations! Now, come, all three of you. You see we have a plan, and your friend could come in veeery handy…​

Last edited:
So many big names in a POW camp. You're setting up a great escape story, aren't you?

I wonder where Richard O'Connor is...

In my opinion, O'Connor was the British answer to Rommel or Patton, but he spent about half the war in a German POW camp, which more or less killed his chance to demonstrate how much he was capable of.*

Given how stirred up the war is, he'd probably have been transferred either to India or to America. The question in my mind is, which one?

*Such a demonstration might, of course, have given me plenty of reasons not to think so highly of O'Connor... :(

Phew... for a second I imagined my airborne alter-ego jumping over San Francisco (hand in hand wiht good old Otto) in order to kill Siwan Khan... Good, good, now that Steiner is in the AAR, the war is won, don't worry.

:D:D:D

I wonder if Indy and Hannah are going to kick Siwan's butt and cave it in. I would prefer Indy's theme here, though :)
In Arizona, the "The Great Escape" theme is playing. In California, the "Indiana Jones" theme is playing. There's enough desert in between that this shouldn't interfere with anything.

I'm sure the escape plan will be interesting. And it seems that Steiner is an excellent judge of character.

In Arizona, the "The Great Escape" theme is playing. In California, the "Indiana Jones" theme is playing. There's enough desert in between that this shouldn't interfere with anything.

I'm sure the escape plan will be interesting. And it seems that Steiner is an excellent judge of character.

Hear hear! Can't wait to see that happen, at both sides!

And somewhere in the Pacific, the "James Bond" theme is playing too! Been awhile since we heard from him and Fah...

Just a quick line to tell you that several updates are brewing, and things will get quite busy all around the globe. I've also finally (better late than never) filled in my answers to the last great round of comments/debate for which I had left a reserved spot in the post before last update.

I might possibly be getting something out later today.

Cheers!

Stalingrad
German-occupied USSR

Saturday, September 1st 1940

ks750.jpg

The sound of an MC pulling up before his tent interrupted Skorzeny’s thoughts. Within moments, the engine stopped and a Leibstandarte private peeked in through the flap entrance.

‘Sturmbannführer, there’s a motorcycle courier from Brigade here for you!’

Otto lifted his weary eyes from the stack of papers on the pliable field desk. Whenever an army stopped for any prolonged stretch of time that feared nemesis of true warriors inevitably caught up with it; bureaucracy. For the umpteenth time Otto wondered why a unit in action could do perfectly well without filling out request forms or typing reports in triplicate but one on garrison duty could not.

‘I’ll be right there!’ he shouted.

Reluctantly he picked up his uniform jacket from the field cot and pulled it over his shirt. Southern Russia in late summer was still hot, and the humidity rising from the Volga didn’t help either. He was sweating already. He buttoned the jacket, strapped on his gun belt and slung the baldric of the Rune Sword over his right shoulder. It might not have been according to regulations, but even Obergruppenführer Dietrich was so used to seeing him wearing it that he would bat an eyelash only if it was missing. Finally he fixed the peaked cap in place with a slightly insolent tilt and went outside.

The courier was waiting for him next to a Zündapp sidecar MC.

‘What does the Gruppenführer want?’ asked Skorzeny, forgoing the “Heil Hitler”. In the Waffen-SS, the Party salute, rather than the regular military salute, was mandatory, but subordinates saluted a superior only if he had chosen to salute first. In that respect the Waffen-SS was no different than the Wehrmacht as a whole.

‘He wants to see you, Sturmbannführer!’ the courier replied, straddling his bike. ‘Please be seated!’

With some difficulty, Skorzeny contracted all his limbs into the side car and they were off. The motorcycle courier would have been an extravagance, given the scarce supply deliveries lately, but petrol was not a problem for the 6th Army at the moment, since huge cisterns next to the river had been captured intact when Stalingrad fell.

The drive through the city was pleasant enough. It was a sunny summer day. The streets were virtually empty of traffic and very clean – with their usual Teutonic efficiency the German occupation authorities had given Stalingrad a brush up. The streets had been swept and walls washed and garlanded with colourful propaganda posters. Great red wall banners with the swastika hung on the more prominent buildings. German soldiers strolled around in small groups, sampling local goods such as honey and wine offered on stands by income-starved locals. Inevitably, a few of them had a Russian girl on their arm, however much fraternisation was frowned upon.

The courier stopped in front of the small apartment house the unassuming Dietrich had chosen as his command post. He showed Skorzeny through the guards at the entrance and led him up the stairs to the apartment appropriated by Gruppenführer Joseph “Sepp” Dietrich, commander of the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler SS-Panzergrenadier-Brigade.

‘Go ahead, Sturmbannführer, he’s waiting for you!’ the guard at the door offered and held up the door.

The Austrian stepped inside the small apartment. Dietrich was behind a desk set up in the living room. Skorzeny noticed with some amusement that not even old party fighters and friends of the Führer could escape the curse of military paper work. Uneven piles of forms and lists littered the desktop of the Obergruppenführer.

‘Heil Hitler!’ Dietrich saluted in a thick, tired voice. He was thick limbed and stocky, looking more like a butcher or a mechanic than a high ranking officer, and in fact he had worked as both. Although beloved by the rank and file of the Leibstandarte for his undoubted bravery and unassuming manners, those who had worked closely with him could only agree that he was frightfully stupid.

‘Heil Hitler!’ Skorzeny replied.

Dietrich sighed. ‘At ease Skorzeny. I have work for you. This comes filtering down all the way from the OKH via Generalfeldmarschall von Rundstedt and Army Group South. General von Reichenau delivered the hot potato to me and specifically mentioned you for the job, so there you go. That’s what you get for making a name for yourself.’

‘I guess so, Obergruppenführer. So how can I please these august gentlemen?’

‘A deep reconnaissance mission, that’s what. The High brows at Zossen are sick and tired of all the white spots on their situation maps. It seems they have no idea what Ivan has from Saratov to the Caspian, so they’ve ordered every unit on that stretch of front to send out deep scouting patrols. You’re heading one. The mission is to locate and identify Pan-Asian units backing up the Russian lines.’

‘Can do. But how about some aerial reconnaissance?’ Skorzeny proposed.

‘Ha! Those were my exact words to the General, but apparently that has turned up very little, except many shot down light bulbs.* Just like Ivan, it seems the Pan-Asians are very adept at camouflage. With their units stationary, our scout planes can’t see them, unless they get really lucky. We know they’re out there, somewhere, but that’s it. It will be your job to stumble on them and hopefully live to tell where they are.’

Skorzeny frowned. ‘Oh joy. You know, if they just had given us regular deliveries of ammo, I could have done some scouting for them already.’

Dietrich nodded. ‘Yeah, I know how you’ve been paining to raid the enemy lines, keep them on their toes and all that.’

‘Fuck that. It’s our boys I want to keep on their toes. They’ve only been shooting their dicks for the last few weeks. It might further the spread of The Master Race too, but it’s taking away their edge.’

*refers to the Fock-Wulf Fw-189 scout plane

RSHA Headquarters, Wilhelmstrasse
Greater German Reich

Saturday, September 1st 1940

prinzalbrechtpalaisbig.jpg

Reinhard Heydrich never looked up from his desk. ‘Duhrn?’ he commented, while writing his elaborate signature on a document. ‘Please have a seat. So what is it that can’t wait?’

Duhrn complied. ‘My writ of powers, Gruppenführer.’

‘What about it, Duhrn?’ His voice was high-pitched, vibrant. ‘I sent you the final draft. Haven’t you signed it yet?’

‘No. I’m not happy with it. You’re going to have to rewrite it.’

Now Heydrich’s eyes shot up from the paperwork and narrowed. ‘Excuse me?’ he said with dreadful serenity. His eyes locked with Duhrn who stared right back, undeterred.

‘You heard me.’

Heydrich straightened in his seat and frowned. ‘I’ve heard that you are insane. Either it’s true or you have something you think you can use against me. So let’s hear it – why don’t you think you’ll be being flayed alive ten minutes from now?’

‘Project Pure Wolf. KZ 13.’

The eyes narrowed further. ‘You haven’t got the slightest idea what you’re talking about.’

‘I’m talking about misappropriation of state funds, of subverting the chain of command, of institutionalised degeneracy, of mockery of the Nuremberg laws, SS regulations and the puritan morals of the Reichsführer, of pre-meditated murder of RSHA personnel, of gross mismanagement of an incredibly dangerous project, but most importantly, I’m talking about keeping all this a secret from the Reichsführer-SS.’

Heydrich’s mummy-like features drew back in a mirthless smile. ‘Is that all you have? I look forward to hearing your screams.’

Duhrn leaned forward over the table and smiled. ‘Hmm, I wonder what the Reichsführer will think when he hears that because of your incompetent henchman Hess, half a dozen werewolves are on the loose in the Generalgouvernament. Do you have the means to catch them?’

‘What?’

‘A werewolf rebellion, that’s what happened. Hess shot himself as a result. Look, Gruppenführer, it was bound to happen’, Duhrn added in a more conciliatory tone of voice. ‘The project has huge potential, but you didn’t pick competent people to run it. Von Strasser infected unwilling subjects who had the capacity to turn at will. How could they ever hope to control that kind? Now there are rouge werewolves on the loose in the Masovian forests, polish girls who hate us and know far too much about Project Pure Wolf. They will want revenge. Can you bring them in?’

The corners of Heydrich’s mouth turned down in disgust. ‘What do you want? And don’t get too creative on me, or I might decide to take my chances with both Himmler and the rogue werewolves.’

‘Only my original writ of powers. Control over Project Pure Wolf would follow from that, and believe me, you want it in competent hands anyway. We at Department VIII have that. All I want is my slice of the cake, and my taste is for the supernatural, nothing more. If you allow me that, you’ll have no more loyal subordinate!’

Heydrich stroked his chin. ‘Hmmm… fine, fine. We have a deal. I must say, you’re showing more ability than I gave you credit for. I’ll sign your original writ. Organise the transfer of administration of project Pure Wolf to Department VIII as you see fit. Dissmissed!’

Duhrn rose from his chair, nodded respectfully and left the office.

Heydrich remained watching the door in fascination. ‘I wonder…’ he muttered to himself. ‘Why weren’t you at all afraid? Your hand wasn’t THAT strong, and you risked everything. Is it just insanity? Or something more?’

The Director of the Reichsicherheitshauptamt leaned back in his chair and rested his long, thin fingers against each other.

‘Obersturmbannführer Günther Duhrn’, he whispered, ‘what is your secret?’​

Last edited:
First round to Duhrn but he has stirred a hornet's net, methinks. I wouldn't like to be the object of Heydrych's curiosity...

And, please, Otto, take an umbrella for the walk! Just in case, you know. :D

rouge werewolves.’
Curse those canine make-up manufacturers!

Hey, I won that game! :D

@Yogi: A Gruppenführer in charge of a brigade? LSSAH must be really top heavy with officers. And Heydrich's growing concerned with Duhrn's abilities. That's going to be a really interesting contest...

Hey, I won that game! :D

@Yogi: A Gruppenführer in charge of a brigade? LSSAH must be really top heavy with officers. And Heydrich's growing concerned with Duhrn's abilities. That's going to be a really interesting contest...

I know that is a pretty high rank -- but that was Dietrich's historical rank at the time, and IRL the LAH was only a regiment, not even a brigade as here. My guess is that his was an Allgemeine-SS rank which he retained when taking Hitler's bodyguard to war.

EDIT: Actually, he was an Obergruppenführer, equivalent to full General! That was apparently the standard rank for Waffen-SS divisional commanders, but at the same time it was the rank held by such top brass as Heydrich and even Himmler himself (until higher ranks were created for him).

SS ranks are often bewildering. I found many of the historical villains in charge of huge operations or departments were of relatively low rank. The Department Heads of the RSHA were for example Obersturmbannführers (ie Lt Colonels).

Last edited:
Again...masterfully executed!

Looking forward to see Skorzeny in action again.