Why did we pick 1337 for the start year?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Somebody probably reported some of his posts, you can do that. Or a moderator just passed the thread and took action without posting a reply, it's not like they have to tell us if someone gets banned.
That’s so efficient! I have clicked that button before when suffering some racial discrimination in the neighboring sub-forum and then… I do not know if anything had happened or not.

Last edited:
Yeah, at one point you get tired of reading the same-old repeated drivel from those types and just resort to reporting until they go away.

I got enough of that when I was on the HIP Discord server all those years ago.

What had happened? I did not see any administrator’s yellow other than that of our poor Lambert by SAS.
Strangely, I don't think the comment was edited at all.. everything I wrote is still there verbatim...

I like the idea of the starting date and what I've seen how the mechanics will be.

How ever I'm wondering what timespan Project Caesar will cover. Will it be the time till let's say the 11th of November 1444 or something like the first of January 1836?

I like the idea of the starting date and what I've seen how the mechanics will be.

How ever I'm wondering what timespan Project Caesar will cover. Will it be the time till let's say the 11th of November 1444 or something like the first of January 1836?
Johan said that it's about 500 yrs so probably 1835/1836

• 2Like
Reactions:
Mysterious Game beginning in 1337 instead of 1444 means so many interesting scenarios and alt history divergence points that we couldn't see in EU4, I a m a big fan of this refreshing date even if it may be difficult for the game's later pacing. Beyond what was said in the OP, 1337 also offers:

- Yuan Mongol dynasty ruling over China, entangled in wars with other Mongol empires, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and most importantly itself; so many ways it can go
- Japan being threatened by Mongols and in a completely different political era (shogunate not yet established)
- In SEA Khmer and Majapahit aren't yet in the phase of rapid decline (also Sukhothai instead of Ayutthaia)
- The entire Hindu India being threatened by the enormous Delhi Sultanate, which is also ironically its shield against Mongol invasions
- Mamluks being fully operational
- Very different situation in Iran and Central Asia (and imminent Tamerlane)
- Golden Horde changing the entire Eastern European dynamics
- Anatolia full of small Turkic states
- Ottoman travel from zero to hero (?)
- Thriving Balkans with numerous countries (including playable Bulgaria) which are not masochistic to play yet
- Numerous Rus principalities struggling against Golden Horde
- Pagan expansionist Lithuania which can go in many unpredictable directions
- Extremely different starting situation of Poland (struggling against many similarly strong threats on all sides)
- Playable Ukraine
- Very different political setup of HRE
- Hussite Wars
- Mighty Hanseatic League

So many interesting and new scenarios!

Reactions:
Mysterious Game beginning in 1337 instead of 1444 means so many interesting scenarios and alt history divergence points that we couldn't see in EU4, I a m a big fan of this refreshing date even if it may be difficult for the game's later pacing. Beyond what was said in the OP, 1337 also offers:

- Yuan Mongol dynasty ruling over China, entangled in wars with other Mongol empires, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and most importantly itself; so many ways it can go
- Japan being threatened by Mongols and in a completely different political era (shogunate not yet established)
- In SEA Khmer and Majapahit aren't yet in the phase of rapid decline (also Sukhothai instead of Ayutthaia)
- The entire Hindu India being threatened by the enormous Delhi Sultanate, which is also ironically its shield against Mongol invasions
- Mamluks being fully operational
- Very different situation in Iran and Central Asia (and imminent Tamerlane)
- Golden Horde changing the entire Eastern European dynamics
- Anatolia full of small Turkic states
- Ottoman travel from zero to hero (?)
- Thriving Balkans with numerous countries (including playable Bulgaria) which are not masochistic to play yet
- Numerous Rus principalities struggling against Golden Horde
- Pagan expansionist Lithuania which can go in many unpredictable directions
- Extremely different starting situation of Poland (struggling against many similarly strong threats on all sides)
- Playable Ukraine
- Very different political setup of HRE
- Hussite Wars
- Mighty Hanseatic League

So many interesting and new scenarios!
I think it's an open question at the moment if there actually will be interesting alt history content. There's no indication from the tinto talks as yet that making any of these big historical changes happen will actually have any consequences.

Chances are, if you win the hussite wars as a hussite, the game will keep trundling along as though you didn't and the protestant reformation will happen in exactly the same way around the 1500s. A different rus principality coming out on top will just form Russia like Muscovy would. The yuan dynasty holding on to the 1800s will get the same effect as if they were replaced by Ming and qing.

To use an extended analogy, if history is represented as a 52 card deck, then project ceaser looks to be shuffling that deck into it's 80 quintillion "unique" forms, but as anyone can tell you, once you've seen each individual card once every deck looks real damn similar. The tinto team should look to adding new cards to the deck, not just learning to shuffle better.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm ambivalent about alt-history vs historical accuracy.
I'm much more worried about having to play through 160 years of gameplay just to get to the age of sail, exploration, and colonisation.
Most of my EU4 games only lasted 200 years or so before blobbing got out of control and I started anew.
So I'm not really sure how I'm actually going to get to play an early modern period grand strategy game? I feel like I'll just be stuck repeatedly slogging through late medieval plagues in the hope that one day I'll have the patience to reach Henry the Navigator.

Reactions:
So I'm not really sure how I'm actually going to get to play an early modern period grand strategy game? I feel like I'll just be stuck repeatedly slogging through late medieval plagues in the hope that one day I'll have the patience to reach Henry the Navigator.
Similar worries have been raised in this forum for like a hundred times, so it might be of the most concern of Tinto. Anyway, PDS games (CK3, v3 and EUIV) can not actually find a way do deal with this in a compete sense. HOI4 players can play until the end of WWII, but for players, it often happens in around 1941 or 1942...

I saw a saying in this forum, spoken by Johan or quoted from Sid Meier - which I forget - saying that players can not accept failure because it would be considered as the fault of the players themselves. While the players play the game to gain happiness and enjoyment, it's indeed something hurt.

Studio Red (I'm not sure if it is red. I mean the one in charge of CK3) is exploring something special on this, by allowing players to switch to others playable character in their house. That's quite a revolutionary approach I supposed - a fundamental revolution against the traditional PDS gameplay - but suits CK3 only.

Most of my EU4 games only lasted 200 years or so before blobbing got out of control and I started anew.
Johan presented his concern about the difficulty on creating and maintaing other bookmarks / start date. It's reasonable since PjCsr's pops and locations are too many, but taking experience from CK3 - it's kinda a good way to solve this.

The problem is, that once there would be more bookmarks or start dates, there have to be at least four or five one at last - considering that PjCsr covers a history about 500 yrs. CK3 is working on their 3rd start date now, but, speaking of their Struggle mechanic, they have to balance and adjust Iberian Struggle for every start date they made, let alone that there would be more start dates in the future.

Anyway, we may expect some mods about more start dates soon after the releasing of PjCsr.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
To use an extended analogy, if history is represented as a 52 card deck, then project ceaser looks to be shuffling that deck into it's 80 quintillion "unique" forms, but as anyone can tell you, once you've seen each individual card once every deck looks real damn similar. The tinto team should look to adding new cards to the deck, not just learning to shuffle better.
This is a fantastic analogy ngl.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well then could I interest you in some ahistorical dynamic historical events?
Go ahead. I quite enjoyed that thread (which I believe you started).

Well then could I interest you in some ahistorical dynamic historical events?
I'm always interested in more events, don't really care what you call em ;)

I'm always interested in more events, don't really care what you call em ;)

I have an idea for one I'll post tomorrow but I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.

Similar worries have been raised in this forum for like a hundred times, so it might be of the most concern of Tinto. Anyway, PDS games (CK3, v3 and EUIV) can not actually find a way do deal with this in a compete sense. HOI4 players can play until the end of WWII, but for players, it often happens in around 1941 or 1942...

I saw a saying in this forum, spoken by Johan or quoted from Sid Meier - which I forget - saying that players can not accept failure because it would be considered as the fault of the players themselves. While the players play the game to gain happiness and enjoyment, it's indeed something hurt.

Studio Red (I'm not sure if it is red. I mean the one in charge of CK3) is exploring something special on this, by allowing players to switch to others playable character in their house. That's quite a revolutionary approach I supposed - a fundamental revolution against the traditional PDS gameplay - but suits CK3 only.

Johan presented his concern about the difficulty on creating and maintaing other bookmarks / start date. It's reasonable since PjCsr's pops and locations are too many, but taking experience from CK3 - it's kinda a good way to solve this.

The problem is, that once there would be more bookmarks or start dates, there have to be at least four or five one at last - considering that PjCsr covers a history about 500 yrs. CK3 is working on their 3rd start date now, but, speaking of their Struggle mechanic, they have to balance and adjust Iberian Struggle for every start date they made, let alone that there would be more start dates in the future.

Anyway, we may expect some mods about more start dates soon after the releasing of PjCsr.
Sure, but none of that impacts the fact that in a game about the age of exploration and colonisation, the actual exploration and colonisation gameplay is locked behind an enormously long grind.
Having core gameplay so inaccessible is just baffling to me.

Reactions:
Sure, but none of that impacts the fact that in a game about the age of exploration and colonisation, the actual exploration and colonisation gameplay is locked behind an enormously long grind.
Having core gameplay so inaccessible is just baffling to me.
Where did anyone confirm that Project Caesar is about the age of exploration and colonization?

Reactions:
There's a difference between the game including something and the game being about something.
Not sure what else it'd be about for Portugal, or an England that "loses" the HYW.

Not sure what else it'd be about for Portugal, or an England that "loses" the HYW.
I think you're forgetting that the game, as a whole, involves the portrayal of hundreds of polities, the vast majority of which are neither Portugal nor England. Again, just because that is what the gameplay is about for very specific countries (which may or may not be your favorites, which if you think about it is frankly irrelevant), does not mean it is what the game is about generally.

• 2Like
Reactions: