• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tinto Talks #5 - March 27th, 2024

Welcome to the fifth Tinto Talks, where we talk about the design for our upcoming top secret game with the codename ‘Project Caesar.’

i9u3ksuIdrnkGRpoqqS569fPV4MxZiIUi177GzANdKN3-RRijYJv_VqMpBhjUTjsEVTaov9m4AGJ5-aoYxJ__2KR8XA1S5m-2GIUlxyKmAZCLzUNcgt-kHUYOdbcMAb8y5--BUUJRdSYo8jtzdTOfsc

The state is me! Oh, you meant E-state, sorry.. not me ..

Today we will go into detail about one of the core systems in the game, and talk about how estates work.

First of all, there are four estates in Project Caesar, which mostly map 1 to 1 with a social class: Nobility, Clergy, Burghers and the Commoners. There is also the Crown, which represents the state itself.

Each estate gains power based on the amount of population belonging to the estate, which is also modifiable by local attributes of where the population is, where some nobles may have very high power in a certain area, or whether a specific city has entrenched burgher rights there.

TG6PPAx_7XDWjJZ3JTatHNPtlwP2FtURWHBHR8r7CTRmwKGJRCv8p5yIh_3aASZtpA1Qb4OrqmBlmf3HGTWMJ1bQjS88o-fskeoBVbTIfrBMNx-HwPTOg4F9GqPSJhLCgwWLeWBBAyET3HfuPwSxZUQ

This is the estates part of the government view, where you can see their power, current satisfaction, the equilibrium its trending toward, and what privileges it currently has.

Every 1,000 nobles gives +50 estate power to their estate, while 1,000 peasants merely give +0.05 estate power as default. Then these are modified locally in every location, as mentioned above, and then in the entire country by laws, reforms and most notably the privileges that you have given the estates.

The total power of all the 4 estates and the crown then together all add up to 100%, which is the effective power they have.

Depending on your crown power, you either get a scaling penalty or scaling bonus, on aspects like the cost of revoking estate privileges, the cost of changing policies in laws, the efficiency of the cabinet, the expected costs of the court, and other things. If your crown power is weak, you need to have the estates really satisfied, or you will not get much out of any parliament you try to call.

Each of the four estates has a current satisfaction and an equilibrium it will move towards. Some estates, and some countries, will have the estate satisfaction moving quicker to the equilibrium than others. Each estate has 2 factors per type of estate in which their satisfaction impacts the entire country, where satisfaction above 50% gives a scaling bonus, and below, a scaling penalty.

If the satisfaction is below 25%, this estate will not provide any levies. Most importantly, the estate satisfaction also impacts the satisfaction of the pops that belong to that estate, possibly creating rebel factions or even civil wars.
  • Nobility impacts your prestige gain and your counterespionage.
  • Clergy impacts your research speed and your diplomatic reputation.
  • Burghers impact your merchant power and the production efficiency.
  • Commoner impacts your food production and your stability costs.

So what impacts the satisfaction equilibrium of an estate? The privileges they get, the current stability, some reforms may impact them, some laws may, how you tax them, and much more. Some examples include clergy being happier with higher religious unity or burghers liking having more market centers in your country.

# estate privileges
Estate Privileges then? You may feel forced to grant privileges to estates to be able to tax them more, and you may be forced to grant privileges to get their support in parliament. All privileges impact the power of their estate, and many also increase their satisfaction equilibrium. They all have some impact on gameplay fitting the privilege, and often they also impact a societal value of their country.

fmFONeiCiTYVPVVKLr3mV8LxsRBW4VjWQN0JAuGUKG7CBTOSDXah48Os_Iv-jBZwHEatySoLTvPwr0J-XphLB-2xRNp1i5XrNaQyhDgTZ0IRhpXBMU_nJ5G8z5urGGJ9JHPkRXF4kusffvpmCxVgKsw

WiP ui, temporary graphics and no icons etc.

There are many different privileges, and many unique ones depending on where and what type of country you play.

We mentioned taxes before, and while this is not the development diary where we go into details about the economic system, it is important to mention that the estates of a country have wealth that is increased by the amount of money that you have not taken from them in taxes. Rich estates will use their wealth on many things, primarily to invest into things that benefit them, but will often also build things that also benefit the country.

Next week we will talk about a few new concepts that are rather new to this game that have not been present in previous games, as we will talk about proximity, control and maritime presence, all concepts that need to be talked about in detail, before we go into the economy system.

• 292Like
  • 170Love
Reactions:
can you clarify at all please? Like where a noble get's X power per noble pop the crown get's X divided by some Y for the same pop?

Dependent on laws etc presumably? Or else how would you affect it?

There are lots of factors, but at the base, the crown gets X per population.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Will there be a different name for "call parliament" mechanic between different government types, even if mechanically it's the same? It would sound weird if in a government system where there is no parliament, player would still have to call it.

Reactions:
I like everything so far but i hope the ui gets a more classic-medieval-renaissance artstyle, it looks to much pop art and modern for my taste.

• 3Like
Reactions:
1711555075632.png

hmm lets play gues the country game.
Weak nobility, strong Clergery with some kind of cross shield privilage, unhappy burghers.
I believe this is Teutonic Order!

• 14Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Love the map, maybe Genoa, Mamelukes and Cyprus are too similar a shade or green yellow in my opinon, maybe make one an Antigonod yellow from I;R
I think the country borders having that shadowy thing makes it easy to distinguish countries... but it's not something I particularly like. So either it stays like this, or the border shadow is removed and colours adjusted.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Free Mobility privilege screenshot says it's WIP, but the Estates one doesn't.

It doesn't look bad but I really don't think it fits the time period at all. It's too generic. EUIV style was great with that parchment inspiration all over the UI.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Eh! Are you saying that the timeline will reach after 1848?

No, i was giving an example that all human societies end up with elites.

• 18Like
  • 13Haha
Reactions:
View attachment 1103862
hmm lets play gues the country game
weak nobility, strong Clergery with some kind of cross shield privilage, unhappy burghers.
I believe this is Teutonic Order!
Johan did say he was playing as Aragon, so maybe that would be it

• 7Like
Reactions:
The nobility influencing Prestige and Counter-Espionage seems like a departure from their EU4 depicted role as military elites. The benefits of all the other estates seem good, but the nobility ones seem like they could be a bit less relevant? (Using my EU4 references of what prestige and counter espionage do).

i personally do not like the font choice. The focus on realism looks better then that of EU4 altough with the font selection this resembles crusader kings a bit too much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ok so it will be based on the local power of nobles/clergy/peasants over the counties / locations I conquer.

Also what about dhimmies ? They are not listed in the base 4 estates (ie if playing ottomans and conquering heathen lands while having religious tolerance, what happens ?)

They are most likely heathens and/or of a non-accepted culture, so they have no political power, so for this they have a much lower impact.

• 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 49Like
  • 29Love
Reactions: