• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The 1st Fleet arrives in the Chil'ko system on high alert. As they arrive, we spot an unknown ship waiting for us orbiting one of the planets. It appears to be going about its business, however, and its profile doesn't match the sensor logs from the Eliel. It doesn't respond to our hails, but it keeps its distance as our ships move to secure the site of the attack. Once it's been determined that there are no hostile vessels present any more, the Eliel returns and together with the 1st Fleet heads towards Chil'Ko V.

st-04-debris.png

Our ships conduct a thorough examination of the debris and make some strange discoveries.

st-04-scene of the battle.png

The attacker, whoever they were, is no longer here and the debris they've left behind doesn't tell us much. Still, we beam the wreckage aboard and bring it back to Federation space for further study. Perhaps a more intensive review of the debris and the Eliel's sensor data will yield something more.

st-04-debriefing.png

After several months, we have as complete a picture of the incident as we're going to get. Captain Chen, the commanding officer of the USS Eliel, is commended for his unorthodox but effective maneuver. We're left with a couple of disconcerting conclusions. There's an as-yet unknown group out there that's interested in our technology, and they possess technology that's almost entirely unfamiliar to us. Whoever they are, we know they're dangerous, and we're left with the troubling suspicion that we haven't seen the last of them.

As those of you familiar with Star Trek will have probably already guessed, this is our first hint of the Borg. The Borg are Infinite's version of the endgame crisis in Stellaris. In Stellaris, has a chance to trigger after a certain amount of time has passed in game, and is preceded by just a couple of events warning you that it's on the way. In Infinite, there's a longer event chain leading up to the arrival of the Borg that's designed to roughly follow the events of the shows. We'll be hearing more from the Borg before too long.

The other ship we noticed in the Chil'Ko system turns out to be a exploration vessel from a new civilization: the J'naii Council. Once there language has been added to the Universal Translator we open diplomatic relations with them.

st-04-jnai contact.png

As is becoming our standard procedure, we follow up first contact by opening our borders and proposing an embassy exchange, both of which are accepted. The J'naii are located to the galactic south-east of us, not too far from the Klingons. Slowly but surely, the quadrant is beginning to fill-in.

st-04-quadrant map.png

You can see my two science vessels skirting out along the edges of Cardassian and Klingon space, as I mentioned in the last update. You might also notice I have a ship next to several Bajoran ones - the minor power located between myself and the Cardassians Union. That's my first spy ship, which I've sent to Bajor to attempt to subvert the population to my cause. I'm not sure if this will actually make them more likely to try and declare their independence or not, but I figure it can't hurt. Unfortunately, I don't accomplish much. My spy is detected by the ruthlessly efficient counter-intelligence of the Obsidian Order and is forced to flee. The Cardassians are none too pleased with me, and galactic tension goes up a bit as a result.

The next several years pass peacefully. I continue researching and unlock the next several traditions. During this period, we get our first unique leader via event, Admiral Nechayev of TNG infamy.

st-04-necheyev.png

I say infamy because Nechayev is often antagonistic towards the crew of the Enterprise in TNG, but whether she's a good or bad admiral is sometimes a matter of debate among Star Trek fans. For our purposes, she's an admiral with normal traits but a couple free levels of experience, and I haven't recruited an admiral on my own yet, so I put her in command of the 1st Fleet.

I finish unlocking the Federation tradition block, which means we get some nice bonuses and we get to unlock our first Ascension perk. For those not familiar with Stellaris, Ascension perks are (generally) powerful buffs you get to choose from each time you complete a tradition group. You'll get a maximum of four of them, so it's worth putting some thought into which ones you want to take and how they'll compliment your strategy. I choose a perk that gives a bonus to my research rate since getting a tech lead is a key part of my game plan. Research is something you'll be doing all game, so getting bonuses early helps you pull ahead, from your rivals and stay ahead, since new techs unlock better buildings and bonuses, which help you do even more research, rinse and repeat.

st-04-perk1.png

Finishing a tradition group means we also have to pick a new one to work on, even though it'll be a few more years before I have enough unity to unlock it. I debate between Research and Development as being the most useful to me right now.

st-04-tradition2a.png

st-04-tradition2b.png

The +1 planet size from Research isn't bad, but I find everything else in there a bit underwhelming. Faster anomaly research speed isn't terribly important, in my opinion. I've already got bonuses to that from other things, and I might be wrong but there don't seem to be as many anomalies as there are in Stellaris. Sooner or later, I'll run out of anomalies and it'll be a useless buff. I didn't take a picture of the individual traditions within the group, but I'm not terribly impressed by those bonuses either.

Development, on the other hand, has some nice perks indeed. The increase to sublight speed is decent, as is the reduced cost of claims; Influence is the scarcest resource in the game, so anything that helps save Influence is valuable. Even better, there's a tradition within Development that gives you a chunk of Influence every time you found a new colony, which is half of my long-term solution to the Influence shortage. Once I've unlocked that, colonizing a planet will give me enough Influence to claim several more systems. As long as I'm prioritizing claiming systems with habitable worlds, I should be able to fund a long and steady chain of expansion and growth.

We continue developing and expanding. We colonize the M-Class planet in the newly claimed Wolf 359 system We have a presidential election, and one of our scientists replace T'Pragh (who has been patched to now correctly show as a Vulcan). In 2356, we also finish incorporating the Betazoids into the Federation, which means we get their planets, their ships, and their space. We also get their unique civic added to our own, which I quite like.

st-04-newcivic.png

The Betazed civic boosts our opinion with Minor Powers, which is very handy since the plan is to peacefully incorporate as many Minors as possible. The emissary we had working on integrating the Betazoids is now free for reassignment, so I promptly send them to the Idanian Clans to ask if they'd like to join the Federation. It turns out they would, so I immediately start the integration process with them. Each integration can take up to 10 years, so there's no time to waste.

Peaceful expansion and coexistence is the Federation's modus operandi, but it's not a goal everyone shares. The decade of uneasy peace since the Khitomer Massacre comes to an end as two of the Major Powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants go to war.

st-04-cardromwar.png

Attachments

• st-04-necheyev.png
    st-04-necheyev.png
    578,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Thanks for translating Stellaris-speak and Stellaris game concepts that have ported over to Infinite.
This event with the Borg is an interesting one. Because we all know about them, does this mean it tips your preparation strategy? One wonders how the Federation would react besides the game events we see. Concerned? Yes. Investigating? Yes. But certainly not preparing for all out war by raising significant ships and ramping up defenses. Your technology plan is a sound one there. Wondering how that translates into building bigger better starships though.
(Also, hearing from a variety of Mac users that the game is still crashing for them despite the new patches, so I will not be diving in anytime soon. My calendar doesn't accommodate that anyway.)
Until then, I have this very good AAR/guide to take care of my Star Trek needs.
Thanks for the update.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have you picked up the game yourself or just looking for now?

Just looking. Never played Stellaris and my arrival there has been threatened before in AAR circles. Will eventually get around to it.

This game might be promising though...

Our ships conduct a thorough examination of the debris and make some strange discoveries.

It's the borg.

First subtly and then extremely obviously hinted at. Which...OK. them being a supposed end fame crisis makes a lot of sense and means they'll hopefully be Star Trek armada 3 levels of hard (that is to say, they'll be proper TNG series borg, not Voyager, and not First Contact).

the J'naii Council.

Them???

Alright. They really do seem to be bringing in a lot of minor races. If they're digging that far into TNG, the Tamarians must show up in a quest line somewhere...

Admiral Nechayev of TNG infamy.

As the first one? It's Enterprise C era, she's not that old!

I say infamy because Nechayev is often antagonistic towards the crew of the Enterprise in TNG, but whether she's a good or bad admiral is sometimes a matter of debate among Star Trek fans.

Eh...she wasn't very NICE to them but she generally was competent, not evil and didn't needlessly antagonise anyone (except Riker, but Starfleet command all seemed to dislike him after series 3). She also seemed to know how to manage people and resources properly, because she was the one who put Captain Jellico in command in order to negotiate/obliterate the Cardassian plot (A++ for that one).

Once I've unlocked that, colonizing a planet will give me enough Influence to claim several more systems. As long as I'm prioritizing claiming systems with habitable worlds, I should be able to fund a long and steady chain of expansion and growth.

Makes sense canonical too. The federation really starts exploding in the TNG era. The Enterprise by itself did double digit inductions into the Federation, and they weren't the only diplomats out there.

Good choice.

We colonize the M-Class planet in the newly claimed Wolf 359 system

Build the largest starbase you can there, and fill the place with mines.

In 2356, we also finish incorporating the Betazoids into the Federation, which means we get their planets, their ships, and their space. We also get their unique civic added to our own, which I quite like.

Nice.

It turns out they would

Of course they do. Even the evil planets and planets with a secret evil deal want in on the 24th century era Federation, its just that amazing apparently.

The decade of uneasy peace since the Khitomer Massacre comes to an end as two of the Major Powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants go to war.

Gooood. The two biggest problems in the quadrant are going to fight each other.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for translating Stellaris-speak and Stellaris game concepts that have ported over to Infinite.
This event with the Borg is an interesting one. Because we all know about them, does this mean it tips your preparation strategy? One wonders how the Federation would react besides the game events we see. Concerned? Yes. Investigating? Yes. But certainly not preparing for all out war by raising significant ships and ramping up defenses. Your technology plan is a sound one there. Wondering how that translates into building bigger better starships though.
(Also, hearing from a variety of Mac users that the game is still crashing for them despite the new patches, so I will not be diving in anytime soon. My calendar doesn't accommodate that anyway.)
Thanks for the update.

The feds knew...something was out there attacking distant colonies along the neutral zone by the end of TNG series 1 (as do the romulans, who reappear in that end episode just to threaten us).

Then Q gives them a proper warning, and by the end of season 3, they think they are begining to be prepared for them.

They are very wrong.

• 4Like
Reactions:
The feds knew...something was out there attacking distant colonies along the neutral zone by the end of TNG series 1 (as do the romulans, who reappear in that end episode just to threaten us).

Then Q gives them a proper warning, and by the end of season 3, they think they are begining to be prepared for them.

They are very wrong.
Yes. Thanks for this reminder. It seems the game is replicating that wariness, but still the red flashing lights aren't going off. However, any player who has tracked Star Trek knows what these warning signs mean. Makes me wonder if the Borg events shouldn't have some randomness to them. Maybe it ends up not being the Borg at all?

Of course once this happens, as a player, you should be moving into heavy defense production mode immediately. And that means some of the surprise is spoiled. We all know what is ahead: so get ready planning for it. The player has only one rational choice, and that would not be how it really played out because we have this foreknowledge of what happened in the series. Only someone who hasn't consumed Star Trek during that era would be able to replicate the nasty surprise of finding out what the Borg are all about.

That is not to say I don't want the Borg to show up. This just seems like a very linear progression and we all know what to expect. I know this is still all developing, but here's hoping DLC or other fixes will broaden these event trees so it isn't so predictable.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nechayev is one of the vanishingly few Star Fleet Admirals that isn't evil or an idiot, her main problem is being the antagonist to the heroes who by force of plot have to be 'right' most of the time. Given the terrible options available this is probably as good as it gets Admiral wise.

The Romulan Cardassian War promises to be interesting, not so much the space battles (where you'd think Romulan cloaking would give them a big edge) but the espionage war of Tal Shiar vs Obsidian Order.

• 2Like
Reactions:
@VILenin A very tantalizing update!

The "unknown antagonist" is ominous, and a good warning that there are threats out there which may outmatch the Federation and all her peers (I'm currently rewatching Babyon 5 and I love the gradual ramp up to such a realization in the first two seasons).

Great work with the Betazoids and Idanian Clans - that's a fair distance from controlled Federation space. Which is both daring and exactly what I would do -- it sets as a goal to connect in that direction and prevent the Cardassians from beating you.

Also great to see the Romulans and Cardassians having conflict while you steal a march behind their backs. I wonder who will prevail. Also curious to see how much territory will change, if any. Is there a casus belli system? I don't recall there being one in Stellaris, exactly. Maybe it's "Season Finale demands war!" :D

Enjoying your strategy insights!

Rensslaer

• 2Like
Reactions:
The romulans always seemed to be about on par with the federation in regards to tech, whilst the cardassians and klingons were slightly to mildly lower down in advancement (the latter made up for it by literally all their ships being warships).

So the romukans...should (?) win, but the cardassians might pull a fast one.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the update.

I wasn't sure how many of my readers would be familiar with Stellaris, so I've tried to take a middle approach of explaining concepts that seem salient but not explaining everything, since that could bog things down.

The way Infinite handles the Borg is quite different from how Stellaris handles the endgame crisis. The first two big ones are that it's more story driven and it starts much earlier. As you can see, we're barely a decade into the game and we're already getting messages about the Borg threat. Now, the Borg won't actually show up for a while longer, but as you point out, these events get the player thinking about the problem very early on. Having played a test game prior to this run, I sort of know what to expect in terms, but if I'd been going in blind my reaction might have been more urgent.

Sorry to hear about the enduring Mac issues, but I'm glad I can scratch that itch for you in the meantime!

Just looking. Never played Stellaris and my arrival there has been threatened before in AAR circles. Will eventually get around to it.

This game might be promising though...

It's the borg.

First subtly and then extremely obviously hinted at. Which...OK. them being a supposed end fame crisis makes a lot of sense and means they'll hopefully be Star Trek armada 3 levels of hard (that is to say, they'll be proper TNG series borg, not Voyager, and not First Contact).

Them???

Alright. They really do seem to be bringing in a lot of minor races. If they're digging that far into TNG, the Tamarians must show up in a quest line somewhere...

As the first one? It's Enterprise C era, she's not that old!

Eh...she wasn't very NICE to them but she generally was competent, not evil and didn't needlessly antagonise anyone (except Riker, but Starfleet command all seemed to dislike him after series 3). She also seemed to know how to manage people and resources properly, because she was the one who put Captain Jellico in command in order to negotiate/obliterate the Cardassian plot (A++ for that one).

Makes sense canonical too. The federation really starts exploding in the TNG era. The Enterprise by itself did double digit inductions into the Federation, and they weren't the only diplomats out there.

Good choice.

Build the largest starbase you can there, and fill the place with mines.

Nice.

Of course they do. Even the evil planets and planets with a secret evil deal want in on the 24th century era Federation, its just that amazing apparently.

Gooood. The two biggest problems in the quadrant are going to fight each other.

I think describing Infinite as Stellaris for Star Trek fans is a fair description, so if you've been tempted by Stellaris before but held off, I think ST:I might eventually be up your alley. If you're not in any rush, though, I'd probably give it a little more time.

Yeah, there really isn't any mystery to these events if you've seen TNG. TNG is by far the primary influence for the game, with a dash of DS9 and Voyager sprinkled in. I'm hoping we'll see more content based on those two shows assuming we eventually get dlc for the Gamma and Delta quadrants. At the moment, all of the minor races (at least the ones I've seen so far) are TNG ones, some of which prompt a response of "oh yeah, the people from that one episode" (like the J'naii). There's been talk on the forum and on the Reddit about hopefully adding a another tier of civilizations to the game in the form of Secondary Powers or something like that to represent races not on par with the Federation, Romulans, or Klingons but were still local or regional powers. The Tholians, Gorn, Sheliak, Tzenkethi, etc., could all be good candidates for that. There's an argument to be made that's where the Cardassians belong as well, but I understand bumping them up to Major status for gameplay reasons.

I'll talk more about Nechayev in a moment, but I think the time of her introduction is about right. She's a vice admiral by the time of TNG, so in the 2350s she would probably have been a senior captain or newly-elevated flag officer. I think it was beta canon, but I believe she distinguished herself in the Cardassian border wars, which lines up fairly well with her in-game introduction date.

Speaking of the Enterprise C, I wish the game started a little earlier so it could include the battle of Narendra III, as that was the real turning point in relations between the Federation and the Klingons. The Federation could start with the 1701-C as their early game flagship and then get a choice, probably by event, of sending it to defend the Klingons or not. In game terms, give the player a choice between keeping a powerful early-game ship or sacrificing it for a big opinion boost with the Klingons, making future diplomacy much easier.

Nechayev is one of the vanishingly few Star Fleet Admirals that isn't evil or an idiot, her main problem is being the antagonist to the heroes who by force of plot have to be 'right' most of the time. Given the terrible options available this is probably as good as it gets Admiral wise.

The Romulan Cardassian War promises to be interesting, not so much the space battles (where you'd think Romulan cloaking would give them a big edge) but the espionage war of Tal Shiar vs Obsidian Order.

I agree with you and @TheButterflyComposer that Nechayev seems like a competent officer who's probably good at her job but suffers from needing to be in opposition to our heroes in order to create dramatic tension in the episode. You can put Jellico in the same category; he actually handles the Cardassian situation extremely well, and while his manner is somewhat abrasive, Riker and La Forge also react pretty unprofessionally.

Yes, I imagine the Obsidian Order vs the Tal Shiar would be a fascinating conflict to watch from a safe distance. Starfleet Intelligence will be taking notes for sure.

@VILenin A very tantalizing update!

The "unknown antagonist" is ominous, and a good warning that there are threats out there which may outmatch the Federation and all her peers (I'm currently rewatching Babyon 5 and I love the gradual ramp up to such a realization in the first two seasons).

Great work with the Betazoids and Idanian Clans - that's a fair distance from controlled Federation space. Which is both daring and exactly what I would do -- it sets as a goal to connect in that direction and prevent the Cardassians from beating you.

Also great to see the Romulans and Cardassians having conflict while you steal a march behind their backs. I wonder who will prevail. Also curious to see how much territory will change, if any. Is there a casus belli system? I don't recall there being one in Stellaris, exactly. Maybe it's "Season Finale demands war!" :D

Enjoying your strategy insights!

Rensslaer

The "mystery" of the Borg isn't really a mystery to any Star Trek veterans, but I enjoy the faux-suspense anyway on a narrative level, replicating that uncertainty in the early seasons of TNG that something unknown and dangerous is out there somewhere.

The Betazoids are far away from our current borders, but they're in a "safe" direction, since the other Majors don't have an avenue to expand towards them. The Idanians are definitely more exposed, being in fact a little closer to Cardassian space than to ours. Which, in my mind, just makes it all the more important to absorb them! I'm very committed to cutting the Cardassians off from the galactic South. Once the Idanians join the Federation, establishing contiguous borders with their territory will become my pretext for expanding so aggressively in that direction (or that's the line I would be feeding my diplomats if they existed).

There is a casus belli system in ST:I although it's much less robust than EUIV. There are, I believe, three different types of war you can declare: Conquest, Liberation, or Humiliation. I'll try to remember to go over them in detail when I get to my first DoW.

The results of the Cardassian-Romulan war surprised me, but I won't say anymore for now. Gotta build up that suspense. ;)

--------

Thank you as always to everyone following along, commenters and lurkers alike!

• 4Like
Reactions:

Actually he got on rather well with Geordie. With a good amount of the crew actually. He's a pretty good leader in terms of figuring out everyone's deal, being personable, and cracking the whip if they don't do what they're told once ordered.

River was passed over in command despite being a very experienced military commander (of the Enterprise no less) and that rubbed him the wrong way, esepcially as Star Fleet put Jellico in permanent command of the D, rather than a temporary assignment.

Still, he handled it poorly and got rightly dismissed to Bury his head for a bit for not following direct orders during a war footing situation. And then he makes the captain beg for his help. He's a bit of a prick in this one.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Actually he got on rather well with Geordie. With a good amount of the crew actually. He's a pretty good leader in terms of figuring out everyone's deal, being personable, and cracking the whip if they don't do what they're told once ordered.

River was passed over in command despite being a very experienced military commander (of the Enterprise no less) and that rubbed him the wrong way, esepcially as Star Fleet put Jellico in permanent command of the D, rather than a temporary assignment.

Still, he handled it poorly and got rightly dismissed to Bury his head for a bit for not following direct orders during a war footing situation. And then he makes the captain beg for his help. He's a bit of a prick in this one.

It's not Riker's most distinguishing moment, to be sure. You can see where his frustrations are coming from, but Jellico's acting well within his rights and Riker should've handled his discontent more professionally.

@Rensslaer I forgot to ask, where are you in your B5 rewatch? I've been contemplating one since the new animated movie came out a few months ago.

Reactions:
I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through the 2nd season. I've skipped maybe 5 episodes from 1st season that I didn't recall as having been very good. But in my rewatching I realize there's something important in almost every episode.

Coming of Shadows of course was award deserving... And In the Shadow of Z'hadum gave me shivers.

Rensslaer

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Following along. Great starter for me as I just purchased this game. 3600 hours of Stellaris. I truly like how you have to be on your toes from the get-go with Infinite. Looking forward to more of your AAR @VILenin !

Cheers

• 3Like
Reactions:
Would you say this is good as or better than Stellaris?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@VILenin I'm a month behind on my own update too, so this is entirely funning and encouragement...

This isn't going to be an "infinite" wait for the next update, is it??? :p

I see you haven't been online at all for a bit. Hope everything is okay!

Rensslaer

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well! It's been a little while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. The last couple months have been pretty busy for me, and I've also been a bit lazy about making myself sit down and write. This is Star Trek, though, so let's blame a temporal anomaly instead.

Anyway, where were we?

st-05-jnaii1.png

The J'naii, as you may recall, are a minor power located to the galactic south of the Klingon Empire. If you don't remember (and I could hardly blame you if you don't), you can see them in the bottom right corner of the map posted in the last update. The J'naii are most likely my next target for integration after the Idanian Clans as part of my plan to cut the Klingons off from the bottom of the map, so I want to start laying the groundwork for that now. Even if I wasn't, there's really no reason for me to refuse as the Federation, so I happily accept their offer to open embassies.

Speaking of the Idanians, the integration is about two-thirds complete. We're making good progress with them - 3.00 per month - so we're on track to finish the process in about a year.

st-05-idanianintegrationprogress.png

The Idanians are to the southwest of me, below the Cardassians, and will anchor my eventual border with them. I'm setting some ambitious expansion goals here. I'll need to take quite a few systems to link up with the Idanians and the J'naii, and I don't have much to help me with the influence costs yet, which limits how quickly I can do it. I'm also probably going to antagonize both the Cardassians and the Klingons in the process, which could be dangerous for me if I end up hostile with both at the same time. Still, I think it's a manageable risk. I have good relations with the Klingons right now, and I'm fairly confident I can keep it that way for at least the immediate future, so I probably only have to worry about the Cardassians.

Speaking of, wasn't there something else going on in this game? Oh right, there's an interstellar war. Last time, the Cardassian Union had declared war on the Romulan Star Empire. Let's see how that's going.

st-05-cardromwarspyship.png

From what we can see, the conflict seems to be evenly matched at the moment, with the Cardassians and Romulans having each taken a colony from the other. I'd like to have a better idea of what's going on, so dispatch a spy ship, the USS Hanley, into Cardassian space to gather intelligence.

Spy ships are something new to Infinite. In vanilla Stellaris, you can assign your envoys to espionage actions on other powers. Here, spies are a unique type of starship, like your science vessels or construction ships. Spy ships can perform a variety of actions, like stealing energy from your rivals or fomenting dissent on their planets. Here, I'm sending the Hanley to try and raise my intel level on the Cardassians so I can get a clearer picture of their military and technological strength. Hopefully I remembered to take some screenshots of the espionage actions later on, at which point I'll talk about it some more detail.

st-05-cardintel.png

This is what we currently know about the Cardassians. As you can see, it's not much. Our intel level is a meagre 15, which means the best Starfleet Intelligence can tell me is that the Cardassians are overbearing and don't particularly like us. This is on the diplomacy screen, but we can also glean some information from the overall empire scores.

st-05-empirescore.png

Diplomatic exchanges, such as establishing embassies or signing treaties, also provide a small amount of intel. The Federation has signed agreements with the Klingons and the Romulans, which is why we have more information on them, whereas we've been aloof from the Cardassians so far. We can see that the Cardassians have the highest overall score, but we can't see what's contributing to it. The fact that the Cardassians are first and the Romulans are fourth, however, probably doesn't bode well for the Romulans in the war.

Incomplete picture though it may be, there are already some encouraging signs. The Klingon Empire has the galaxies largest economy (that we can see), but I have a nice technological lead as well as the most colonies, and I'm the only major power to incorporate a minor so far. It's still early days, but I have every reason to think that my lead is only going to increase as time goes on, and if I continue to build on my lead in colonies, it's only a matter of time before my economy overtakes the Klingons.

You may notice in the bottom left that the game will end in 2646. Infinite has the same standard length as Stellaris of 300 in-game years, but the game will actually be over *long* before that. I think I've already mentioned the two victory conditions, but this seems like a good time to talk about them a bit more.

st-05-victoryconditions.png

These descriptions are a bit vague, but the win conditions aren't complicated. A Hegemony victory, the one on the left, is whoever has the highest empire score when the game ends. The diplomatic victory is the first power to have 10 civics. You start with 2 civics, and you add one with each minor power you incorporate, so need to absorb 8 minors. Assuming I don't lose, it won't take me anywhere near 300 years to get to 10 civics, so the game is likely to be over in 100-150 game years. This might seem short to Stellaris players, but personally I like that the game is built to be a little smaller and faster than Stellaris. Not least because it means I can actually finish playthroughs in a reasonable amount of time, whereas in all the years Stellaris has been out I think I've only made it to the victory screen once. Everyone will have their own preference here, but I don't mind decisions like this that help Infinite carve out a slightly different niche from Stellaris.

That's it for now! A short update, but some signs of life, and I think I can promise that the next update should almost certainly take less than 3 months this time. ;)

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Now for some long, long overdue replies!

Following along. Great starter for me as I just purchased this game. 3600 hours of Stellaris. I truly like how you have to be on your toes from the get-go with Infinite. Looking forward to more of your AAR @VILenin !

Cheers
I agree! Infinite certainly doesn't replace Stellaris for me, but I like some of the ways it's different. In particular, I've really been enjoying it for multiplayer. I've got a group of 2-3 friends that I play with. We all like Stellaris but we've struggled to set aside the time to get through multiplayer campaigns, and usually stall out some time in the mid-game. The way Infinite throws you into the action and resolves quicker has meant we can actually finish games in just a handful of sessions, which has been nice!

Would you say this is good as or better than Stellaris?
I would say no on both counts, but that doesn't mean I don't like the game. For me, the biggest thing is that Stellaris has way more content to it, which isn't surprising since it's had extra years or development and has a larger team behind it. I think Infinite is fun and has a lot of potential, but I'd also say there's no denying that it feels somewhat sparse right now. I'm hoping that the development team will be able to stick with it for the long term, and the modding community has already started to step up as well, which I find encouraging.

If you're equal parts a Stellaris and Star Trek fan, I think it's worth it for $20-$30. If you're not a big Star Trek fan and you're more interested in the next Stellaris, I'd say pass for now.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the update! It's really good to see how things are different from the base game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Welcome back. Glad to see the anomaly has stopped jamming your comm systems. Always good to see this AAR.

Thanks also for the insights on victory conditions and espionage. In the forums, there seems to be some traffic regarding whether the espionage systems are robust enough. Seems like so far you aren't able to dent the fog of the Cardassian-Romulan War. Better luck with that as you forge ahead.

• 4Like
Reactions:
It returns! Like.. Voyager from the Delta quadrant? Is that a good thing though?

Anyway the return of this AAR definitely is a good thing, so welcome back. Interesting to see some more parts of the game and I think agree with you about shorter games being a good alternative. There is a place for a long haul loads-of-session game, but also for something you can finish when time is short.

On the game, I hope USS Hanley gets involved in some espionage hi-jinks. Because with the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar at war there really should be lots of spying and complex games of triple bluff.

• 2Like
Reactions: