• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
3 days ago the final version of the patch (Watcher Update) was released. However, I can still choose to play with the beta in the steam game settings. What is this beta? Is it newer than the patch or vice versa?

If the problem is speed-leveling heroes then rather than messing with per-stack rules and XP filters and whatnot, instead pick what the maximum level a hero is "supposed" to be at each turn and cap their current level at that number. Gain XP as normal but calculate current level as MinOf(the level your XP says you are, the maximum allowed level for this turn)

The general empire development tree already has turn locked items on it so there's a precedent. Theres even a perfectly logical in-universe explanation: if I punch 5 skeletons a day and you punch 10 skeletons a day of course you'll get better at punching skeletons faster. But if you punch 1000 skeletons a day you've not left yourself time to reflect on what skeleton punching is all about and won't fully internalise what you learned until later.

The vast majority of players will never notice and anyone speedleveling heroes for maximum competitive gain will have an objective metric to measure their progress by. Everyone wins!
I support any decision where the strategy of quickly building a stack of heroes to the maximum level ceases to be more powerful than any other strategy. I support any changes like reducing the number of heroes, increasing the cost of heroes above the limit of three, etc. In our games, we prohibited the use of more than three heroes in battle. But the dragon leader and 2 heroes of level 15-20 between turns 35-42 usually easily put any army to flight. So this is not a good solution. It is necessary in one way or another (including those suggested here or in another thread - when only one hero or leader at the head of the army receives experience, and the rest of the experience of other heroes from the same stack simply disappears).At the same time, many who use this strategy do not like it, but it is the only way to win a multiplayer game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also did not understand why the patch gave super protection for industrialists. Yesterday I saw their T3 units with 18 physical damage resistance. They still lost to mages, but the presence of such protection plus the popularity of industrialists made the feudal and dark cavalry unpopular and largely useless. Keep in mind that we forbid playing with the trait mounted (without unicorns, the game is much more diverse if you do not use the strategy of developing a stack of heroes with a dragon leader). If the bastions were also on unicorns, then they would make T3 units useless in the game: darks, high, feudal lords and mystics, as well as all T3 archers. That is, the strengthening of the bastions greatly distorted the balance. Despite the fact that even before the strengthening of the bastions in the patch, the industrialists were quite a popular culture due to the excellent economy and quite powerful bastions, which had to be supplemented in the army with those who caused magic damage if they were given those who deal magic damage in support.

One thing that really perplexes me is the change to Slow. Why does it disable Retaliations now? We already have so many ways to counter it - Shock units, Hard CC (stun / frozen), flanking, blind, etc. I understand that it may have been part of the mechanic in AOW3 but AOW3 didn't have this many counters to it. Right now my melee units are sitting ducks in the Arctic map even if they're immune to frozen, because of how many units can apply Slow often. Weren't the changes supposed to make melee more relevant?

• 1Like
Reactions:
IKeep in mind that we forbid playing with the trait mounted (without unicorns, the game is much more diverse if you do not use the strategy of developing a stack of heroes with a dragon leader)

It seems like you're playing with some custom rules. And I haven't seen anyone else complain about hero spam... It could just be an issue with your meta?

• 2Like
Reactions:
TBS makes more sense as PBEM. Not that I've never done it, but I have no understanding of attempting to play a long TBS game on a server. I generally refuse to do it in the first place. Told my associate to PBEM or heck off. I'll do TBS over coffee.

Lol, that has nothing to do with Rally. The AI (on Brutal at least) always appears to get 3 stacks of units when the ruler respawns.
Are you sure those aren't Routed Units returning? PvP AI doesn't spawn stacks, they produce units or summon them like other players.

Are you sure those aren't Routed Units returning? PvP AI doesn't spawn stacks, they produce units or summon them like other players.

I can test it again and see exactly how long it takes. But I always decline the routing prompt and kill every last unit.

Usually what happens is the following:
  • AI has 1-3 cities, maybe a single vassal.
  • AI has 3-6 stacks of units clustered together.
  • I declare war, they immediately group to attack me.
  • I clear both battles (2x 3 stacks of units).
  • I siege their capital city.
  • Ruler respawns after 2 (or 3?) turns.
  • 3 fully fresh armies show up out of the fog of war.
It feels like at the very least they are "cheating" with regards to their ability to draft units.

This issue is even worse when the AI sends 2-3 stacks to siege my cities and pillage provinces.
In that scenario I clear all the attackers only to be attacked again by 3 new stacks 5 turns later.
The frustration here is that I am unable to ever leave my borders without fully eliminating the AI first.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi- I am new here, but I was a huge fan of planet fall. I am most disappointed that I can no longer give special weapons and upgrades to my line troops. I know there are spells to supposedly increase their strength, but those never seem to make much of a difference. Just feedback- maybe something you would consider in the future. Overall, I am really enjoying the game!

Hi- I am new here, but I was a huge fan of planet fall. I am most disappointed that I can no longer give special weapons and upgrades to my line troops. I know there are spells to supposedly increase their strength, but those never seem to make much of a difference. Just feedback- maybe something you would consider in the future. Overall, I am really enjoying the game!

I will be baffled by the incorporation of unit design into AOW4, but I could design units without caring if it satisfies Muserudita to only have some *some* infantry with flaming swords but not others, so help me god.

Last edited:
I already wrote before that the game is a beta and here on the forum they disagreed with this. They added that I was writing about the problems of multiplayer, but few people play it. I abandoned the game for a month and now I see some intermediate results. According to reviews over the last month on Steam, the game has dropped to 67% positive and is in the category of “mediocre” (so-called “mixed” reviews). Not a single game in this series has fallen so low. And of course this will affect sales of future games in the series, if there are any at all. I looked at the negative reviews and saw that most of them referred to various problems in multiplayer (when the game is in beta, this is not surprising and would not be an issue if the game was released as a complete game). And this means that multiplayer problems greatly affect the game’s rating. And what really surprises me is the inability of the Triumph team, which made an excellent game in terms of content, to eliminate the critical balance problems that have already been written about, as well as written about different ways to solve them. These problems - the best and invincible strategy is the strategy of developing 6 industrialist heroes to level 20 around the 40th move. And also the extremely strange inability of the developers to eliminate the situation that the third book should always be the same one, which is an order of magnitude more useful than the others.I also see that on the forums, where they always (every evening) played all the games in this series (multiplayer), they have now almost stopped playing, and modders have stopped making balance mods for the game (including because they are tired of redoing them after each patch for the game).This is a beta game, the developers planned to finally adjust the balance only 9 months after the game’s release - in the 4th quarter of 2023. I'm sure that by the end of 2024 (that is, another year) the game will be great, but few people will be interested in it anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions:
OK. I still do not know what is going on with the nastiness, but I have decided to let it lie. This is clearly a forum where newbies are not welcomed.
I don't know either about the nastiness. Is quite an outlier, people are usually much more welcoming than this.

• 2Like
Reactions: