• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #121 - Court Improvements

Hello! In this dev diary we will present some changes we have made to the court system. Court Management is an important part of the CK2 experience, and currently there are several code pruning mechanisms that curtail court size, making characters die more frequently when the court grows too big. Now court management has been made more interesting by, for example, lowering the aggressive pruning for player courts, creating expenses/benefits associated with a Large Court, court flavored events using the characters of the court, etc. The intention of these changes is to make the system more interactive and interesting.

ck2_15.png

The court limit as shown in the interface.

Your court will now have a size limit depending on your tier, presented in the interface (see picture above). It’s possible to influence this limit by, for example, investing in majesty tech. We have also removed prisoners from the court-tab to make the shown courtiers more relevant.

ck2_18.png

Example of expenses for a big court (can be turned off through a game rule).

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.

ck2_16.png

Give a courtier a nickname.

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

We hope that you’ll have fun with this small new feature, and thank you for reading!

Seconded. This shouldn't disable Achievements and, more importantly, should let me turn off the birth and death malus as well. I hate when my courtiers die of "poor health" at age thirty.

Makes me wonder... Right now having big court reduces your courtiers health and fertility, does it include your offspring?

I love these quality of life improvements! I will say though, could we get some attention on warfare in terms of say more battlefield events, things like rules for more or less frequent dueling, being able to capture more enemy lords and commanders, ensure that all armies are properly staffed with their lords (lords would have to opt out of going with their levies to war) possibly a miniature system to represent the popularity a particularly successful commander gains, such as how the Charles Martel and his family became the rulers of France in effect because of his great victory at Tours. Make it flexible so that people shouldn't opt in to it if they don't want to but I think it would provide even more flavor and depth to an already solid game!

Three questions

1. How will court size limit affect achievements?

2. Will prisoners under house arrest count as courtiers or prisoners?

3. Will children under house arrest still be tutored my the ruler by default?

This is mostly a player only feature. AI courts will still be pruned as per old code, but players will be given more choice in the matter.

Yes! This has been in since Holy Fury, and can be very useful! Due to some syntax discussion with coders, it is, however, necessary to write "any_" instead of "random_", because (and I quote our tech lead) "it is the exact opposite of random". But yeah, check out the 00_scripted_score_values file for more info!

HOW are "any" and "random" opposites? For example:
1: We need to grab any citizen to be our scapegoat
2: We need to grab a random citizen to be our scapegoat

If anything they are synonyms or at the very least similar in meaning.

you know what's really unfun micromanagement? When you dynasty controls a whole empire (like every county) and you have to find a good spouse for every god damn female offspring because the AI keeps marrying their neighbour-cousins for prestige or whatever and you would end up in a bordergored patchwork empire where every imbred morron fights over this and that claim... or even worse - lose those titles to non-dynastic heirs

God I wish the dynasty head had an option to disapprove betrothals

Though if the DH is AI controlled, he'll no doubt approve of those betrothals because prestige.

FINALLY! QOL changes might take years to finally implement after requests but at least they are eventually added.

edit: glad to see its tied to rank, i suggested this before but sad that it looks like at king level its only a 24 cap? That is incredibly low. For count level I could see that but King?????

I also always hated that the landed councillors take up a spot, but I understand it. I despise that their wards are included in your court size though, and you have no say over whether they can bring them to your court or not, since even if you move them to a different court they can also educate another wards as soon as you do. Size of my court was always a factor in choosing councilors, i would often skimp out on choosing the best or most rebellious if they were landed because of this. If the limit is so low even with such a high rank as king (not counting majesty, but still) then it will only further discourage me from making use of this with conclave

Last edited:
HOW are "any" and "random" opposites? For example:
1: We need to grab any citizen to be our scapegoat
2: We need to grab a random citizen to be our scapegoat

If anything they are synonyms or at the very least similar in meaning.
In scripting, any_character means every character that meets the requirements. random_character means one single character, picked at random, who meets the requirements.
So, example 1 would acutally be "We need to grab all citizens to be our scapegoats"

This doesn't sound like it will change how many people you'll want to have in your court, it will just replace the invisible health and fertility penalty with a visible financial penalty.

Then this won't change anything for you - you switch from having family and councilors with no penalty to having family and councilors with no penalty.

Huh alright, i guess i see that. It just is a weird change to me saying that auto-generated “house lowborns” are supposed to be minor nobles now. Seemed weird to add mechanics for pointless court bloat, a feature that ultimately harms you. All they do is plot and scheme, there isnt even a stewardship bonus to represent the role that courtiers play

This isn't changing what they're supposed to represent - courtiers have always been things like unlanded knights, ladies-in-waiting, etc. The new events would most likely be events firing for the liege (running events on all courtiers is expensive) that happen to involve various courtiers. From my understanding, it's not really new mechanics, just a more exciting way of saying "we added some new generic events" - several events like this already exist.

I hope this will also add flavor for when you are NOT at court. More events that acknowledge that you are out leading troops like writing letters back home or learning of some shenanigans happening while your gone.

If theyre unlanded knights why do they spawn with no combat skills and randomized training, and if theyre ladies in waiting why do you get prestige maluses equivalent to marrying a peasant leader
On the other hand, note that the decision to create a new courtier is named "Invite Noble to Court"

Sounds good. I'm going to have to try playing a republic next game, no fertility penalties means I can keep growing my dynasty within my court and get that many more trade posts for it.