• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For those of you having issues with Abduction, be aware that it either has a range, or needs a satanist either among the target's court or in their liege's court (I think, not sure about this), judging from the text you get if you fail too often.

For those of you having issues with Abduction, be aware that it either has a range, or needs a satanist either among the target's court or in their liege's court (I think, not sure about this), judging from the text you get if you fail too often.

No I don't fail too often. I have ended the rise of Shia many times, ironically with help of my Assassins brothers whose sole purpose is rise of Shia.

By the way Assassins abduction is almost identical to demon worshiper's and doesn't require a society member in the target court and doesn't suffer the penalty. Its usefulness is still situational. I only join Assassins as an insurance against to the Shia rising and don't do much with it otherwise.

The problem is that I can't target anyone else of usefulness. Think about it. Who do you want to abduct but heirs and claimant, especially the kids who you can't favor-invite?

The rule says "Cannot abduct duke+ characters (unless they are landless), patricians, or children/spouses of the same court."

Which heirs and claimants of a large independent realm are not included in the description? The only one I know is the event Shia boy who is a pretender of Kingdom of Africa.

I did abduct and recruit a useful commander once or twice. But it's pretty difficult to recruit someone you abducted without help of integer overflow that -30k opinion to +100 displayed.

Last edited:
No I don't fail too often. I have ended the rise of Shia many times, ironically with help of my Assassins brothers whose sole purpose is rise of Shia.

The problem is that I can't target anyone else of usefulness. Think about it. Who do you want to abduct but heirs and claimant, especially the kids who you can't favor-invite?

The rule says "Cannot abduct duke+ characters (unless they are landless), patricians, or children/spouses of the same court."

Which heirs and claimants of a large independent realm are not included in the description? The only one I know is the event Shia boy who is a pretender of Kingdom of Africa.

When I have a daughter in a matriarchal marriage with a prince of larger realm that is currently a count, and my daughter doesn't have a child yet. The person set to inherit is landless. Tadah.

When I have a daughter in a matriarchal marriage with a prince of larger realm that is currently a count, and my daughter doesn't have a child yet. The person set to inherit is landless. Tadah.
So what exactly do you do with the abducted prince? You can't make him your vassal and you can't marry him. Not to mention it was a trouble to matri marry your daughter to a foreign heir of top 3 rank. Who's the person set to inherit? The prince is a count right?

Maybe I didn't look at it carefully. My foreign inheritance has been always focused to several large kingdoms where any ruler could invite their unlanded primary heirs - Middle/West Francia, Bavaria, Ayudha, Sindh. And those where my realm already has heirs as vassals or ruler - Africa, Umayyad and Armenia. My murder plots are quite back logged for years, even while maintaining at least 300% plot power all times.

Hmm. As I look the things more carefully. It does seem to offer more opportunities. Avaria, Saxony, Serbia and Bohemia's heirs are all counts. Maybe I will start abducting them. But I don't know what to do with them. They don't loose their titles because they are abducted right? Teach me? Thanks. Learning new things all the time.

Last edited:
Demonic cult abduction can be used on anyone in range (except maybe someone who is already a prisoner or your heir) it just costs more power to use it against landed nobles (the higher the title the more it costs)...

So what exactly do you do with the abducted prince? You can't make him your vassal and you can marry him. Not to mention it was a trouble to matri marry your daughter to a foreign heir of top 3 rank. Who's the person set to inherit? The prince is a count right?

Maybe I didn't look at it carefully. My foreign inheritance has been always focused to several large kingdoms where any ruler could invite their heirs - Middle/West Francia, Bavaria, Ayudha, Sindh And those where my realm already have heirs as vassals - Africa, Umayyad and Armenia. My murder plots are quite back logged for years, even while maintaining at least 300% plot power all times.

Hmm. As I look the things more carefully. It does seem to offer more opportunities. Avaria, Saxony, Serbia and Bohemia's heirs are all counts. Maybe I will start abducting them. But I don't know what to do with them. Teach me? Thanks. Learning new things all the time.

I'm not abducting the heir. I didn't matri marry a direct heir. Just a prince so that future children would be able to make a play for it. I was abducting the county heir, not the prince's heir. He didn't have one because he was childless.

I'm not abducting the heir. I didn't matri marry a direct heir. Just a prince so that future children would be able to make a play for it. I was abducting the county heir, not the prince's heir. He didn't have one because he was childless.
I see. So you abduct and execute landed heirs in front of a secondary heir you have under control. That could save some plot murders. Could be very useful. Thanks.

Sure, we'll say I said that, and not that i was meaninglessly killing a landless unrelated heir that would have been replaced with another RNG character...

Demonic cult abduction can be used on anyone in range (except maybe someone who is already a prisoner or your heir) it just costs more power to use it against landed nobles (the higher the title the more it costs)...

Wiki says "Attempt to imprison a character, with cost depending on their tier. Cannot abduct duke+ characters (unless they are landless), patricians, or children/spouses of the same court." so I just believed it. So probably it has been changed? I will try. Thanks. In my current game, I have been changing my religion too often so I couldn't stay in any religion based societies. I am quite worried. But I maybe I will try demon worshiper one more time, but only scarcely use it's abduction power once or twice, and not sacrifice any prisoner.

Sure, we'll say I said that, and not that i was meaninglessly killing a landless unrelated heir that would have been replaced with another RNG character...
Of course not. What I understand is that a foreign ruler has two sons. The first one is a landed count. The second is an unlanded prince who you brought to your court by metri marry or something. Normally your would need to plot murder the ruler and the first son. But now only the ruler because you have abducted and executed the first son. That can be a saving of months in your plot time that can be used for another realm.

I don't see that it can be applied to any of my current targets. No one ahead of my foreign princes are a count. But it can and does change over time.

Of course not. What I understand is that a foreign ruler has two sons. The first one is a landed count. The second is an unlanded prince who you brought to your court by metri marry or something. Normally your would need to plot murder the ruler and the first son. But now only the ruler because you have abducted and executed the first son. That can be a saving of months in your plot time that can be used for another realm.

I don't see that it can be applied to any of my current targets. No one ahead of my foreign princes are a count. But it can and does change over time.

But you see, I didn't say any such thing. :3

I found possible applications based on your ideas. I know you didn't exactly said it. Do you think I am correctly understanding the mechanic though?
I believe so, yes.

Honestly I prefer the monastic orders. When combined with the theology focus, you can end up with a character who has every virtue trait (and all the bonuses that come with them), relics, and the ability to convert provinces at will.

Honestly I prefer the monastic orders. When combined with the theology focus, you can end up with a character who has every virtue trait (and all the bonuses that come with them), relics, and the ability to convert provinces at will.
A virtuous character would prefer monastic orders even if demon societies were better. My Al-Mansur the Pale Spider, on the other hands, prefers +1 intrigue traits even at the cost of -2 diplomacy.

Abduction is opened on lvl 1 so it can be used to switch religion very quickly through abducted cunsubine. Also there is the only power playstyle for female character which can produce a high stats heir and a high stats wife for him.

Satanists are also good trash bin for imprisoned characters who can't be officially executed without incurring tyranny or gaining kinslayer trait. Simply kill them for local demon lord.

Satanists are also good trash bin for imprisoned characters who can't be officially executed without incurring tyranny or gaining kinslayer trait. Simply kill them for local demon lord.
Yes that. Have you tried it recently? I only sacrificed a few dozen and got all possible negative traits within a month, along with known demon worshiper penalty of course.

Abduction is opened on lvl 1 so it can be used to switch religion very quickly through abducted cunsubine. Also there is the only power playstyle for female character which can produce a high stats heir and a high stats wife for him.
But why waste a society when you can favor invite one with 80 ducats?