• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds like a dressing down of all sides, king and commanders both. I wonder if Osweald will conveniently forget being upbraided later, or if the memory will simmer until he can get his own back.
I have a suspicion that the insolence of his Commander will rankle for a time yet but this early in his reign the king does not feel strong enough to properly take him to task...and he is a very good commander-better even than the Lord Marshal. It's a bit of a bind-at least the only witness to such arrant insolence was Wulfnoth eh?

The king cannot let such aggressive insolence in a vassal and advisor go unchecked, whether he has a point or not. Is the king able to find out, either directly or through investigation, what is causing it?

The problem will be doing something about it while not making such an enemy that he may be persuaded to join actively against him. The perils of being in a weakened position. Osweald needs victory, prestige and gold badly - perhaps his new aggressive command style and a well placed attack can swing things around.
You make a very good point @Bullfilter and it is a game thing that I somehow had to explain. They were friendly enough when I appointed him Advisor but there was then the Council/drunkard event and suddenly they are 'rivals' and Ælfnoth has a -100 malus against him :mad:. So I have somehow had to explain it within those 2 events. I hope my writing of it is at least plausible. The thing I like about CKII AARs is trying to explain such things when the adage 'truth is stranger than fiction' often springs to my mind.

You know, Osweald might not be so fat of he laid off all that wine. ;) That said, it sounds like he needed it between a troublesome Earl and this lost battle. The war looks very near run at this point and a loss like that is not needed at any time. I hope the son has a fine martial head, even if young. I think you know it can prove wonders when you have something like that in your back pocket. :D
Very prescient my friend and watch this space re the son-he will be brought to the fore in subsequent chapters so hope you enjoy my writing him up. As for the king's wine habits-who can blame him? I put in that though about the Vat of favourite wine by the way thinking of Edward IV's brother Clarence and his famous alleged death haha. Did you spot it?

Such defiance and disrespect deserves punishment. Throw in a lost battle and all seems dire.
All seems dire indeed but read on to see just how dire...;)

A poor showing to start the war, unfortunately. Things look pretty bleak at this point, I can't blame the king for taking it out on his underlings. Hopefully some timely reinforcements show up and turn the tide.
That would be marvellous and yes it's not a good start to the war at all is it? Sadly he doesnt have the insurance that his mother always had of a heaving treasury such that she could almost always call up mercenaries to assist if there were any reverses. He will have to best them with a slight numerical disadvantage overall and hope that they don't join with those on the continent...

You disobey your king's orders and lose the battle? I don't care if a dragon magically appeared on your left flank, causing it to be vaporized in a cloud of fire and ash - you're going to be in for a severe punishment. Heck a Roman commander was basically court martialed for going to battle when he disregarded the omens about chickens refusing to eat - these vassals got off lightly here with just a dressing down.

It's good that Osweald now looks the part of the martial king, but it may well be on him to prove it on the battlefield. (I had hoped his figurative/literal softness being removed would translate toward actual steel on the battlefield, but alas) I had pegged him as a King John type, but perhaps he is more John's son, Henri III, who will be saved by a talented son. But it does not look as though Osweald has the makings of a great king.
Well watch this space on that. The king's martial scores have actually improved dramatically in all respects so should also make him effective not just in personal combat but in strategy and tactics too-more on that later. You are correct re the dressing down of his 2 commanders...yet they are also powerful lords in their own right now and his 2 best commanders and he is yet weak so he can't afford to anatagonise them too much. We will see whether the animus between king and earl can be improved any-as I explain to @Bullfilter above the malus was caused by that silly drunken event in the Council but I kinda enjoyed writing it up haha

The king seems to be on the border of depression. Not that weird, perhaps, with what is happening.
He is a man in peril and bamboozled by the actions of his 2 best commanders and one who has lost a dear friend (twice now since he clearly tried to bring him back)-I think you might be a bit depressed at such a turn of events eh?:D

From one extreme to the other -- our king's newfound martial manner may yet save the realm from rebellion, but let us hope he doesn't let his wrath master him when it comes time for peace.

It does seem as though Cenwulf is starting to channel Hugh Despenser just a bit -- a royal favorite who seems to hold favor solely because of his king's friendship, and who is loathed by all others.
Ooh I like that comparison-a very good one. As to whether that is it for his friendship with the ill-starred Cenwulf of course, only time will tell but he hasn't been good for the king thus far has he? And yes wroth is all find and dandy when knee deep fighting rebellious vassals but maybe not so useful in managing touchy and sensitive lords in peace-let's see how well he does with that-if he even gets to the peace. For which watch this space ;)

All: many thanks for your wonderful comments and insights and reflections. Things are certainly hotting up in the war and in the next chapter which is written (just polishing it up) we will have the introduction of the heir to the throne, Prince Eorcenberht-hope you enjoy reading him as much as I have liked writing him thus far.

Looking forward to the next one - great comment responses, as always. The dreaded 100 malus & rival in a council member and commander - not good! You were tight to make a ‘thing’ of it and I thought a good explanation of those in-game events and effects that make CK2 a good narrative engine. And not a nice, orderly, logical and predictable procession that a world-conquering gamer would like, but would be far more unrealistic than actual life, events and people - in 1018 or 2018! Just look at a current average news bulletin! :eek::(:confused:o_O

Looking forward to the next one - great comment responses, as always. The dreaded 100 malus & rival in a council member and commander - not good! You were tight to make a ‘thing’ of it and I thought a good explanation of those in-game events and effects that make CK2 a good narrative engine. And not a nice, orderly, logical and predictable procession that a world-conquering gamer would like, but would be far more unrealistic than actual life, events and people - in 1018 or 2018! Just look at a current average news bulletin! :eek::(:confused:o_O
How right you are my friend o_O

Chapter 39, Environs of the City of Leicester, 22 July 957 AD

‘The king has fallen!’ A great cry, like a shudder went through the ranks and was taken up all up and down the line. ‘The king is down! The king is down!’

Prince Eorcenberht, Duke and Earl of Cornwall, pressed hard in the foremost ranks of his own battle’s shieldwall, was still trying manfully to get his bearings. All his martial training and education under Hereweard, erstwhile Commander of the Realm, had not prepared him for this. The cut and thrust, parry and jab he made his peace with – his expensive mail armour protecting him as it was designed to. What he had not expected….was the smell. Battle was blood, yes, screams, blood-curdling sounds of fury and agony, but no one had warned him that a dying man no longer exercised control over their bowels and the sheer smell of ordure was turning his stomach.

Ks4c1u.png

The Battle of Leicester 22nd July 957 AD

But the Prince had only seen seventeen summers and though showing early martial ability and promise he was still very green. He had answered the summons of his father, the king, nonetheless, as any vassal might and had joined the royal army that spring of 957 AD with a sizeable contingent of reinforcements that he was proud to take command of. The finest metalsmiths of Tintagel had fashioned the strapping young man an impressive new broadsword, whilst his chain byrnie was imported from Francia. He had made an impressive sight when he had taken his leave of his demesne, bidding farewell to his young Irish wife, Affraic of Dubhlinn – his only regret that his dear departed mother was not there to see her son truly come of age.

FWSPUB.png

You might be green around the gills boy but, by God, you will do!

‘See you look after your lord!’ She had desperately entreated Hereweard as they rode away.

‘On my life my lady’ the experienced warrior, veteran of the Saxon wars on the continent, had responded lightly, whilst hoping, in his heart, that he might, for in battle, fortune is most fickle indeed.

The young man had not expected the politics that were raging within the high echelons of his father’s army when he had arrived and to his credit had done much, in his unalloyed fashion, to effect something of a softening of the malus between King and Earl Advisor. His position of mediation had been made all the more crucial when the Lord Marshal unexpectedly died in the fallow winter season, visiting his beloved Republic of Lancaster. Foul whispers ran abroad at the circumstances of his passing but it could not be denied that the old Grand-Mayor was a greybeard whose time was up. King Osweald wasted no time promoting his son to command the left flank or van, he would command the centre and Ælfnoth the right or rear. It was a singular honour.

6SAtq0.png

I send you home and you get yourself killed...pffft! :mad:

Seemingly with bonds released the king let slip the leash and, bolstered by more levies, pursued the rebels across the Midlands in a desperate race, for news had fresh arrived that the Polish adventurer Msciwoj had landed in the south with an army of fifteen hundred rapacious adherents and was force marching north to join their enemy. If they were to meet then their own power would once more be over-matched. So, the pursuit went until, at last, the king trapped the opposing army between the River Soar and the old Roman road running to London. To get across and escape would require a sturdy bridge and there was none that they could attain before the royalists were upon them. The elusive and cautious Earl of Derby at last had turned to fight…

…‘Shield up!’ Eorcenberht’s reminisces were suddenly interrupted by Hereweard to his left, Jostling aside a hapless ceorl he locked his over the duke’s, wielding and thrusting a long spear to repel a concerted shove from the opposing wall. There followed a protracted period of grunting, kicking, heaving and all the while swords snaked over or thrust between eliciting grunts of pain as they hit their mark. The brawnier of their number would occasionally hack down with a great battle-axe, the king’s favoured weapon, opening great rents which would or should quickly be filled. Here was where Eorcenberht realised that a specially fashioned broadsword of tempered iron held great advantage over the rudimentary weapons that most of the fyrdsmen carried. He had shattered many a spear haft and his thrusts seemed to find their mark more often than most. Just that smell.

His battle was the biggest by at least a thousand men-the design of the king was that his left flank would anchor the centre and right. Because he had the numbers Eorcenberht was to advance and pin the enemy where they were. Because they were over-matched the plan was that Derby see the danger presented by the prince’s outsized power, would strip down his centre and left to reinforce the opposing right, thus enabling Osweald and the mettlesome Warwick to swing like a hinge and crush their opponents flanks in a great hinging manoeuvre.

‘It is a good plan,’ the gruff Ælfnoth had growled at their eve of battle meeting the night before, affording a measure of respect to the king that had hitherto been mostly absent. Osweald had acknowledged this faint praise with a determined nod, his son, meanwhile inwardly smiled to himself.

‘I would hope so,’ Osweald replied a hint of mischief tugging at his mouth, ‘my lawyers have found pretext to claim Perfeddwlad finally, but I have not the coin to pay them…’

‘Well if you cannot pay your officials sire we must perforce see an end to this revolt must we not?’ The Earl stated forcefully, but on his face a kinder look than heretofore.

‘We must indeed. You have good leave to leave us my lord. We will look to you, as victors on the morrow.’

Ælfnoth gave a deep bow to his king, nodded to Eorcenberht, saying sternly ‘Keep your sword arm straight and your shield up boy!’ before departing into the warm summer night.

Osweald appraised his good looking but yet youthful heir. ‘You will see to yourself my son,’ he had said offering a warm hug to the boy. ‘Battle is where you might earn your spurs to coin a Frankish saying.’

‘The Franks were ever fond of their horses sire,’ Eorcenberht had responded laughing, though inwardly his stomach was seething and roiling in anticipation of his first major affray.

…Now here was Hereweard entreating him to the same and all seemed set fair until that dread cry ripped through the ranks:

‘The king is fallen!’

Cold dread clawed at the young man’s heart at this and then he could actually feel the line start to waver. He had been taught that fear is the nemesis of any commander, of any army, such that when it takes hold a power will turn and flee whatever numbers they may have on field of battle.

‘You will hold men!’ A great shout went up and it was a moment before Eorcenberht realised that the shout had come from his own mouth. ‘Men of England you will hold. If the king is fallen then I, your prince, will lead you to victory!’

Hereweard was staring at him open-mouthed beneath his helm-guard and then he took up the cry ‘hear your Prince! He will lead you!’

And the cry was taken up all up and down the line and the line held. Then slowly, inexorably, the line started to push the enemy back and slowly advance. The cut and thrust was more intense but Eorcenberht seemed to be infused with a new energy, his sword arm, previously aching now full of renewed vigour, his shield up and locked with trusty Hereweard to his left and one of his household Huscarls to the right.

The steady advance went on for an interminable amount of time until suddenly the push back from their opponents melted away as like a freezing river warmed by the spring sun. Beyond him the prince could see the enemy battle falter and then slowly start to become ragged and break up until the whole flank disintegrated and turned to flee.

‘Charge! Release our horse!’ That cry as if from someone else again…the cry was taken up and concomitant orders passed down the line and to the large body of Saxon horsemen to their rear. They would now take up the baton and ride down the fleeing enemy foot.

The enemy left flank had indeed collapsed and the cause of such soon became apparent to Eorcenberht and his pursuing soldiery: to their front and left appeared friendly faces, many wearing the insignia of the Earl of Warwick.

Grabbing one such youthful fellow, the Prince entreated of what had happened,

Panting the young man gasped in broadest Anglo-Saxon ‘we hear tell the king is dead sir and were sore afraid but the line was rallied by his son. I guess he be king now!’ And he was off the bloodlust upon him and in no wise cognisant of whom he had been speaking to.

Hereweard approached, appraised the prince to see that he was whole. Eorcenberht, now that the battle seemed over, was trembling all over and his body hurt everywhere. He now realised that his mail might have protected him from worse wounds but his body and arms would be black and blue on the morrow from the many glancing brows and deflected thrusts that his armour had turned away. He was suddenly and violently sick.

His companion looked on impassively and when the duke was done just said simply ‘I too emptied my guts after my first battle my lord prince. If it is any consolation it gets better’. He passed the boy a gourd of watered down ale.

After taking a pull, Eorcenberht gathered his wits and said we must away to see what has happened to my father…’

A nod of assent from Hereweard before adding ‘you did well there lad. Very well indeed. Come.’

MHACe2.png

That'll learn ya ye bunch of rebel blackguards

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

It was some time before they tracked down the Earl of Warwick who was arranging the reorganisation of the army, getting their own horse back from their pursuit and sending them back out to track the direction of the fleeing rump of the enemy. He also required an estimation of their numbers, needed reports on their own casualties, victualling requirements and all that entailed. The Earl looked harried but, upon seeing him, turned kindly eyes on the young prince and took him in hand, placing a fatherly arm around his shoulders. ‘You excelled yourself on the field of battle if reports are to be believed my boy! We owe our victory to your quick thinking and fortitude it would seem.’

‘My thanks my lord Earl but what of my father…’

It was the topic of discussion that all he had encountered had seemingly shied away from – all directing him to the Earl.

Warwick let drop his arm, ‘The king’s valour in this battle was a sight to see-he was everywhere, rallying people to his banner and beating back determined enemy attacks. He has, on this day, emerged, at last, from his great mother’s shadow – he is a Dryhten for the ages – and one we can all be justly proud of…’

‘But what of his condition my lord Earl?’ The prince once more asked, this time an edge of impatience frosting his words.

Ælfnoth looked the Eorcenberht directly in the eye, ‘I will not confound you with lie lad. It is bad…’

Prince Eorcenberht was unusually close to his father, indeed had been personally tutored by him in his early years. He found his eyes filling.

‘How bad sir?’

The Earl was a lowborn soldier, used to martial ways and the veteran of many battles but had never quite got used to delivering these sort of tidings. ‘He took a direct spear thrust that got between the links of his mail, lad. The physicians have said chances of surviving such a wound...’

But the Earl was not allowed to finish, the prince cutting him off and saying instead ‘you may have scorned him of late, sir, but I can tell you my father is braver than any of you might know. It was his battle plan that won us this day and he will win again when it comes to his own personal fight.’ This last said with voice cracking, ‘now you will take me to him my lord earl.’

So the Earl and the prince made their heavy way to a hastily erected royal pavilion, there to attend upon the king to see if Osweald, king of England and Third of his name was to live or to die…

ZiAfRA.png

I told you it would have been safer in my cozy palace!

Ooof - from the very first lines of this update, you fear the worst and then see the young Prince take charge of the day. I thought it very well done. He is not quite a martial genius, but surely every bit helps and at least on this day, he did more than his part. Good to see that even with the King falling in battle, there is some newfound respect for him as well. A great battle scene from top to bottom!

Once again another great battle scene to read. At times I feel like I was there.

You were not kidding when you said it was going to get worse. The question now is would the kingdom be better off without Osweald. Given the performance of Eorcenberht may be the kingdom would be better off. If Osweald survives I wonder what handicap he would have and how it would impact him being king. If he lingers a long time that could be very detrimental to the kingdom.

I always appreciate it when an author takes time to flesh out some of those little details -- the stench of battle filling the young Prince's nostrils, the point about a weapon's quality affecting its performance against an enemy's weapons and armor, the aches of overworked muscles and of battle bruises -- that really make a scene or a world feel "lived-in" :)

Eorcenberht thrown into the fire of battle, the fire of leadership and now, the fire of kingship? If he does, I would say he could hardly be worse than his father but... I'm not sure based on those stats. Of course, some good traits, a solid way of life focus, and there's some hope.

I'm not sure it's better or worse for Osweald to meet his maker here. I am intrigued by a maimed king who extracts equal revenge when he emerges victorious.....

I think it might be better for the realm if Osweald dies soon. Then he can be remembered a hero. Otherwise I fear, like @JabberJock14 says, he may emerge from his convalescence eager for revenge.

A great read, my friend. The battle cry as if from another’s throat was stirring - a few little goosebumps appeared on reading it! :cool: In part, because as with the stench of battle, there was a great deal of veritas there - and battle is a very noisy thing, it’s why even now ‘words of command’ are still practiced and a loud voice can still be necessary. And whether it is running between the wickets or giving commands, loud, quick and decisive is important both to be heard, but more importantly to be obeyed. Because that is the requirement. It isn’t about persuasion, but inspiration, confidence (or at least a good imitation of its appearance), competence and timing. Stand up, or be knocked down: the prince stood.

The young Prince’s training has clearly cut in here and he has passed his first moment of truth. Whether his father lives or dies, his strong arm and resolution will be key as to whether the dynasty survives or falls. I’m sure we all with him luck. :)

I return from a brief absence and discover you've done two updates and they are both excellent, you do realise the demoralising effect this sort of thing has on other writers don't you? ( ;) ) Others have said nice things about your battle update, so I'll not repeat them just agree with them.

I am delighted to see Osweald living up to the faith I had put in him, the younger version may well have done something stupid like try to keep Cenwulf around the place despite the defeat. He has certainly grown up a great deal, though I suppose under the circumstances it was that or get overthrown, who knows he might even have done enough to lost the Fat moniker and get a proper name.

On the subject of his wound if he has 'just' taken a spear between the chainmail that doesn't sound the kind of wound that leaves a terrible legacy, with medicine at the time he either dies of sepsis/infection/whatever or lives and is basically OK. It's not like losing an eye or having a limb chopped off, things which could be inclined to make a chap bitter and twisted. Thus I would like to think that Osweald does live he'll not go down the dark path others have threatened.

Ooof - from the very first lines of this update, you fear the worst and then see the young Prince take charge of the day. I thought it very well done. He is not quite a martial genius, but surely every bit helps and at least on this day, he did more than his part. Good to see that even with the King falling in battle, there is some newfound respect for him as well. A great battle scene from top to bottom!
Why thank you good sir I am really pleased to see that this battle chapter landed so well. I would like to think my own military background helps in that respect (as does @Bullfilter's I believe). There is something about having experienced certain elements of battle that are timeless and make the description of thus relatively easy. Really glad you liked it. As for the prince let's just say his martial jumped to 15 after this battle so I was trying to inculcate a certain Edward, The Black Prince type sentiment into him-there will be much more from him in future chapters ;)

Once again another great battle scene to read. At times I feel like I was there.

You were not kidding when you said it was going to get worse. The question now is would the kingdom be better off without Osweald. Given the performance of Eorcenberht may be the kingdom would be better off. If Osweald survives I wonder what handicap he would have and how it would impact him being king. If he lingers a long time that could be very detrimental to the kingdom.
Thanks very much @tpmcinty, your words mean a lot as I was really trying to get that sense of realism in there for you all. As for the relationship between prince and realm you will have to read on but you are right to wonder...

I always appreciate it when an author takes time to flesh out some of those little details -- the stench of battle filling the young Prince's nostrils, the point about a weapon's quality affecting its performance against an enemy's weapons and armor, the aches of overworked muscles and of battle bruises -- that really make a scene or a world feel "lived-in" :)
Many thanks @Specialist290 I do like the battle scenes I have to admit but I am really glad that it's landed well with you.

Eorcenberht thrown into the fire of battle, the fire of leadership and now, the fire of kingship? If he does, I would say he could hardly be worse than his father but... I'm not sure based on those stats. Of course, some good traits, a solid way of life focus, and there's some hope.

I'm not sure it's better or worse for Osweald to meet his maker here. I am intrigued by a maimed king who extracts equal revenge when he emerges victorious.....
Well, as said to @coz1 above, his martial stat jumped to 15 after this battle so he has turned into quite teh warrior at only 17...there is much more to come from the young man believe me. As for whether the king survives read on MacDuff haha

I think it might be better for the realm if Osweald dies soon. Then he can be remembered a hero. Otherwise I fear, like @JabberJock14 says, he may emerge from his convalescence eager for revenge.
Poor old Osweald, forever living in his esteemed mother's shadow and not respected-we will see what happens-whether he survives with bitterness in his heart or at all...

A great read, my friend. The battle cry as if from another’s throat was stirring - a few little goosebumps appeared on reading it! :cool: In part, because as with the stench of battle, there was a great deal of veritas there - and battle is a very noisy thing, it’s why even now ‘words of command’ are still practiced and a loud voice can still be necessary. And whether it is running between the wickets or giving commands, loud, quick and decisive is important both to be heard, but more importantly to be obeyed. Because that is the requirement. It isn’t about persuasion, but inspiration, confidence (or at least a good imitation of its appearance), competence and timing. Stand up, or be knocked down: the prince stood.

The young Prince’s training has clearly cut in here and he has passed his first moment of truth. Whether his father lives or dies, his strong arm and resolution will be key as to whether the dynasty survives or falls. I’m sure we all with him luck. :)
Many thanks @Bullfilter I seem to recall you also being a military man (Armour wasnt it? Like me) If so you can appreciate how easy it is to conjure the chaos and madness of battle with words. Your encouragement is very welcome I must say. And you are very very right in what you say about the young Prince-very right indeed ;)

I return from a brief absence and discover you've done two updates and they are both excellent, you do realise the demoralising effect this sort of thing has on other writers don't you? ( ;) ) Others have said nice things about your battle update, so I'll not repeat them just agree with them.

I am delighted to see Osweald living up to the faith I had put in him, the younger version may well have done something stupid like try to keep Cenwulf around the place despite the defeat. He has certainly grown up a great deal, though I suppose under the circumstances it was that or get overthrown, who knows he might even have done enough to lost the Fat moniker and get a proper name.

On the subject of his wound if he has 'just' taken a spear between the chainmail that doesn't sound the kind of wound that leaves a terrible legacy, with medicine at the time he either dies of sepsis/infection/whatever or lives and is basically OK. It's not like losing an eye or having a limb chopped off, things which could be inclined to make a chap bitter and twisted. Thus I would like to think that Osweald does live he'll not go down the dark path others have threatened.
Well thank you good sir-your words are most appreciated as are your thoughts about teh king's character and indeed his wound. As to whether he even survives the spear thrust you will have to read on but I can assure you that he has already lost the moniker 'the fat' and is every inch the strapping (nay brawny according to the game mechanics) Saxon warrior as I have evidenced by some of my screenshots

Excellent! I second every comment.
Many thanks @markkur - very much appreciate your encouragement :)

To all I have written the next chapter and will post it later for your perusal. I will say again what a fine group of commentatAARs you all are-the encouragement and feedback are what keep us all writing-thanks to all of you. May I also say if you haven't already get yourself over to the Year End AAR awards and get voting as it' really going to be a doozy-am just compiling my extensive list as the days go by

Chapter 40, Lambeth Palace, 10th July 958 AD

‘Your dear-departed mother was as mettlesome a patient sire, by my reckoning,’ Maoilios opined as he inspected the wound beneath his carefully crafted poultice. ‘Now be still, I beg you.’

‘A year it has been – a year of convalescence and still you fuss over me – my patience is well nigh spent’ the king grumbled as he submitted, once more, to the prodding and poking of his personal physician – the brilliant man from unknown lands. The man who Osweald well did know had saved his life, for the lucky spear thrust that had somehow penetrated the dense links of his chainmail, had left a wound that became infected. Such was usually a death sentence in those times but it had been his disgraced friend, Cenwulf, mysteriously reappearing in Surrey who had brought with him the physician. Maoilios had not lately been seen at the palace of the king for he had been dismissed from service by Osweald on his accession – a move, in hindsight, that was neither wise nor sensible.

That was last summer and for many months the king hovered in a dismal place, somewhere between life and death and all this despite Maoilios’s tender ministrations. But he had pulled through and his fever finally broke in late autumn of that year of 957, when the leaves had already turned myriad shades of brown and when winter’s icy chill could already be felt in the air. It had well-nigh scandalised the court that it was not the queen that attended at his bedside when he woke but his friend, Cenwulf – an ever present in the king’s chambers whilst Maoilios went about his work and whilst the king thrashed about and cried out in his fitful sleep.

It was some weeks, even after that, before the king was fit and well enough to receive audiences, the most pressing matter being that of Regent, for he had assigned none and so, perforce, the great and the good of the land had been forced to bend the knee to lowborn Cenwulf, as it was he, and he alone, who had the king’s ear and confidence. Letters were even sent by the Small Council in desperation to Prince Eorcenberht, imploring him to take a hand but the young man, then carrying out glorious deeds of valour on the field of battle in the ongoing rebellion, had merely stated in reply that it was not for him to gainsay the affections or will, for that matter, of his father, the king.

OlX2LI.png

The old Marshal, Wulfgar, grizzly Ælfnoth and look at my son! :D

Winter had been and gone and then spring and with the warming summer sun it was as if the king did visibly grow in strength. He had taken up tentative duties under the watchful eye of Maoilios and now felt ready to resume his kingship with all its trappings and heavy burdens of state.

‘I may, with honesty, say that your wound has completely healed my king,’ the savant declared, whilst perusing the livid long scar that stretched from above Osweald’s left nipple towards his left shoulder. ‘Move your arm like so, sire.’

TZvl96.png

Something to brag about at feasts eh?

The extension and rotation of his arm revealed an expected stiffness but the king reported no pain.

‘So I am free from your ministry sir?’ Osweald enquired, a twinkle in his eye, ‘may return to the practice yard and build myself back up to fighting fitness?’

A smile in return, ‘I will bother you no more sire – unless you do call for me.’

Osweald held out his hand for the doctor to kiss, ‘then you have good leave to leave me Maoilios the wise.’

Maoilios gathered up his accoutrements and implements and hastened to depart. As he reached the door, however, the king stopped him short: ‘And Maoilios…’

‘Sire?’

‘I give you thanks sir. Your deeds here will not be forgotten. You may ask for whatever you wish and if it is in my compass I would grant it. Mayhap some lands, a stipend. Ask.’

The foreigner demurred, ‘I wish for nothing my lord king, for myself in any case…’

‘But?’ Osweald could feel a request coming nonetheless.

‘But I would ask that you build upon the network of hospitals that your forebears established in Wessex so many years hence. The north and much of the midlands would mayhap benefit from a similar programme...’

‘Have those shires not their own lords who can build such?’ The king asked in irritation.

Unflustered Maoilios responded smoothly, ‘they do sire, but lords and barons are fickle - only see to their own interests - none look to the weal of the whole realm. Only you may do that.’

Mollified, Osweald stroked his beard then motioned for his page to fetch his tunic. ‘I will think on it sir-Cynehelm will not like such largesse with finances constrained, methinks, but I will consider such.’

‘Of course, Sire - yet it is always worth remembering that disease and depredation are far more deadly killers of your people than any war…look to your own recent situation. Until next time my king.’ A bow from the physician and he was gone.

Not long after and there was a small knock. The page went to see who was there but before he reached the door it opened and Cenwulf strode in –a large smile playing upon his face.

‘Finally fit and well and hale to lead us once more Os!’

‘It would seem so my old friend – it would seem so at last.’ The king signalled for drinks and snacks to be fetched. The church bells had not yet struck for mid-morning prayers but why change the habits of a lifetime – it had seemed only a moment, after all, since he had broken his morning fast.

‘And this accursed war is almost won, no small thanks to your son’ Cenwulf went on, taking a seat and helping himself to the plate of hams and cheeses that had been brought in. He poured them both a tankard of ale and lifted a cup to the king. ‘Here’s to your continued reign sire.’ The last was said with mock deference and a seated and exaggerated bow from the waist, all the while a mocking smile upon the merchantman’s face.

Osweald toasted his friend though his look carried preoccupation in it.

Cenwulf carried on regardless, ‘with the Polish adventurer defeated in the spring and old Wulfgar now back to hunting down the rump of the rebel army you should see victory within the year Os.’

EfJYAD.png
iUZNxh.png

Wherever you go I shall hunt you down!

‘Mayhap Cenwulf, mayhap, though experience tells me that it may drag on a while yet. My son writes that after the battle at Evesham they had thought that would be an end to it yet they fight on.’

‘Hmmm…yes that doxy, Countess Beorhtflæd, has now taken to the field herself I hear tell…’

Osweald regarded his companion with frosty eye, ‘I would pray you not describe one of my barons thus Cenwulf-even one engaged in rebellion-it does not become you.’

Cenwulf was taken aback, had grown used to an easy familiarity with the king. This admonishment was…new.

Osweald suddenly realised that he was as taut as a bowstring and had to force himself to relax. Cenwulf, for his part, observed him with curiosity.

‘Cenwulf the affairs of the realm stand at a crossroads. Even with this rebellion done there are alliances to make, my holdings in Saxony to expand. Even now the infidel Saracen declares war on King Ancel for his territories in Breizh. That brings their heathen scourge right to our doorstep.’

Cenwulf was nonplussed, ‘I know all of this Os-what has it to do with me? Or you and I for that matter?’

‘I need the Council on my side Cenwulf…’

At this Cenwulf’s face brightened visibly, ‘mean you to promote me Os?’ He asked excitedly for though he had turned down such an offer when Osweald first became king it had become increasingly clear to him, after recent matters, that he would need to cement his standing with an official position. ‘I presume that you will dismiss that insolent ceorl, Ælfnoth, from his post as Advisor? Or mayhap old Cenræd will be retired-he has given long service as Lord Chancellor?’

Osweald slammed his tankard down on the table, ‘be silent for once Cen when I am talking!’ The sudden rage had the desired effect. Osweald took a deep breath to calm himself then went on. ‘The facts are this: your continued presence around my person promotes whispers and angers my councillors.’ The highborn king looked his lowborn friend in the eye. ‘I need not only their good counsel but also their support.’

Cenwulf was uncomprehending ‘what say you Os? I do not understand.’

Osweald stood suddenly and turned his back on the other man, ‘then I will spell it out for you, sirrah. I am banishing you from the court. You are never to return on pain of permanent exile…’

‘What? Os? What jest is this? It is an ill one for certes…’

‘It is no jest Cen-do not make this harder than it already is I beg you.’

Suddenly Cenwulf was angry and with a few steps was, himself, on his feet and grabbing at Osweald’s arm, ‘did the queen put you up to this? That mad bitch – she has never loved me that one! Hungifu the…’

Osweald’s back-hander, slamming the Cornishman across the face, silenced the latest diatribe and drove him to his knees. ‘Never speak of my wife again! Guards!’

With that the soldiers, permanently posted to the king’s chambers, hastened within. They took in the scene and awaited their master’s wishes.

Cenwulf, now desperate, grabbed and grasped at his former friend’s leg begging for a change of heart that he knew would not come and when at last the king spoke it was to deliver a scathing rebuke of liberties taken and the reassertion of the order of things.

‘You will leave us Cenwulf of Tintagel, never to return, for it is not for commoners to make fast friends of kings, nor see them at their lowest and continue to thrive.’ He held out his hand as the Huscarls gathered up the sobbing erstwhile companion, thrust him forward so that he could weep salty tears upon Osweald’s coronation ring and then marched him summarily from the chambers.

It was long moments before the king moved and only then to hurriedly brush a solitary tear from his eye, eloquent testimony to the price he had just paid.

Last edited:
Well, has this experience taught the King a measure of wisdom?

Perhaps it has - it is like Edward II realising he needs to banish Gaveston

Huh, missed an update. To the first, that was an excellent battle scene indeed (Engineers lead the way, as all true warriors know... :cool:) The wound was a bit unexpected, but I suppose the king has an overlarge gut in which to lose a spear from time to time.

All in all, that was a great recovery from what seemed to be an untenable situation just a few short updates ago, very well done. Osweald seems well on his way to ruling England with as iron a grip as ever. Crushing a major rebellion tends to do that :D

Excellent job. Looking forward to the next episode!

Osweald seems to have survived the initial tremors of his reign and come out all the better for it, though he would be wise to keep alert for possible aftershocks.

Ridding himself of Cenwulf is probably a smart move, if an undoubtedly hard decision to make given their history. That man seems to have not merely an unhealthy obsession with his king, but a toxic disposition in general.

And I can't help but get the impression that his cutting ties with Cenwulf is only going to be the start; it seems that our king may have found some new purpose while he was on his sickbed, and is champing at the bit to bend his efforts toward attaining it.

Osweald appears to have become wiser as he recovered. He has learned the bitter lesson that as king he must sometimes put the kingdom before friends.

Now I wonder that since his son has done well with the war if Osweald and he will remain as family or will they become rivals.

Bluff Prince Harry becomes King Henry V and banishes his Falstaff - near-death experience and a coming of age. A sudden turning of the worm though. OOC: game event and/or narrative driven? Just curious, ie was it the best way to improve relations with nettlesome councillors and barons, or was there a specific relationship falling out between the two? Either way, it was well done sir!

PS: yes, armour, but too old to have featured in the recent (to me, post-9/11 is recent ;):eek: ) excitement. Practiced enough for it though. The rest is read or from discussions with friends and acquaintances who saw the beast.

Here I was about to pick a nit and then the King does it for me. :p It occurred to me that Cenwulf seemed too familiar with Osweald, calling him Os instead of something seemingly more proper even with their close friendship. He is The King after all. And yet, Osweald beat me to the punch (literally.) A tough scene even if the right thing to do.