UPDATED 14/06/18 - *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits of PDS games ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is the use of publicly advertised bug-tracking tools allowed? The Elder Kings mod (CK II) uses a public bug-tracking tool.

Here is their bug-tracker advertised in their sub-forum

I assume it is allowed because the guy who has been updating the thread is a Demi-Moderator :D Their mod is also publicly distributed via third party sites (ModBB).

Is the use of publicly advertised bug-tracking tools allowed? The Elder Kings mod (CK II) uses a public bug-tracking tool.

Here is their bug-tracker advertised in their sub-forum

I assume it is allowed because the guy who has been updating the thread is a Demi-Moderator :D Their mod is also publicly distributed via third party sites (ModBB).
Nope,. In a nutshell, it's one of the inconsistencies within the Community : CKII mods started before the rules were set in stone, and therefore are not bound by the same rules.

Reactions:
Nope,. In a nutshell, it's one of the inconsistencies within the Community : CKII mods started before the rules were set in stone, and therefore are not bound by the same rules.
So CK II mods have more privileges than EU IV mods? This makes no sense and is highly unfair.

It's really difficult to summon @Castellon these days.

Reactions:
So CK II mods have more privileges than EU IV mods? This makes no sense and is highly unfair.

It's really difficult to summon @Castellon these days.
Yes and no: only older mods have that. For instance, WtWSMS can not start using moddb all of a sudden just because we are a CK2 mod, while the first release was in january this year. For all new mods the same rules apply. As far as I know, in that case only Elder Kings and AGoT are old and still developed to have that permission in the CK2 section.

Reactions:
Yes and no: only older mods have that. For instance, WtWSMS can not start using moddb.
If the rules change then in my opinion they should affect all mods - old and new. Otherwise the rules give clear disadvantages to some mods which can create disharmony in the community.

Reactions:
If the rules change then in my opinion they should affect all mods - old and new. Otherwise the rules give clear disadvantages to some mods which can create disharmony in the community.
But this will surely not change, as it would force old modders and previous communities to dissolve. AGoT also has an external forum: which is strictly fobidden today.

Reactions:
But this will surely not change, as it would force old modders and previous communities to dissolve. AGoT also has an external forum: which is strictly fobidden today.

Agree: if a modding team has built a structure based on the then prevailing rules, it would in my opinion had been unfair by Paradox to require them to change that, out of pure equality, and other teams wouldn't have dared to build new infrastructure out of fear that it may become outlawed.

And in all honesty, we don't actually suffer from them enjoying exemptions and grandfathering. Better to congratulate them on having that freedom.

I like that Paradox applies the policy of new rules becoming applicable going forward only, not imposing them backwards in time.

Reactions:
Bit of an overstatement I have to say, you know AGOT mod could just use the sub forum they have here, it is not really an issue at all.

I remember reading a post, by I believe @Castellon, that clarified the reason for the discrepancy between rules for old mods and new mods. I believe the analogy went like this, an apartment building allows tenets to have pets, but the building administration has decided to ban pets, so instead of kicking everyone who owns a pet out of the building the rule only applies to new tenets, old tenets that had pets prior to the ban are allowed to keep their current pet but are not allowed to get any more.

That seems like a decent enough justification until you actually think about it. Mods are not pets, many mods, especially those large enough to make use of these banned assets(forums and the like), will likely be around long after the base game is dead (aka the apartment) and so these rules will never be applied to certain mods and their sequels.

I would also point out that as far as I know MEIOU and Taxes is allowed to ignore certain rules presumably because of MEIOU in EU3, so does that mean that from now until the end of time in any EU sequel @gigau and his team will never have to follow any new rules as long as they name their mod MEIOU? because it seems so. The exact same argument could be made for AGoT.

Rules should be universal, it is really as simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Disagree: The rules are linked to mods, not modders.
Yeah, I've corrected it, the point I was making should now be clear. Though due to the realities of the modders and mods in question I think my original choice of words was still suitable.

That seems like a decent enough justification until you actually think about it. Mods are not pets, many mods, especially those large enough to make use these banned assets(forums and the like), will likely be around long after the base game is dead (aka the apartment) and so these rules will never be applied to certain mods and their sequels.
If the base game is dead the mod can continue, yes, like for instance Kaiserreich, one of the biggest mod successes ever. But there is no "legacy modding" as far as I understand in the rules except perhaps in the above case as an exception.
I would also point out that as far as I know MEIOU and Taxes is allowed to ignore certain rules presumably because of MEIOU in EU3, so does that mean that from now until the end of time in any EU sequel @gigau and his team will never have to follow any new rules as long as they name their mod MEIOU? because it seems so. The exact same argument could be made for AGoT.
No, the difference here is the whole sequel thinking. That does not exist: the rule is one mod for one game. AGoT even had conflicts with that with a CK1 modder splitting off, some wanting to claim the mod due to a CK1 version and what not if I understood things correctly. AS much as the rules are not applied for a moder but a mod, they are for a mod, not a series.
Rules should be universal, it is really as simple as that.
Would be incredibly unfair and awkward when you think on it. For instance: what about retired people? Should they work two years extra if the upper limit is extended with two years? Same with forum rules and old posts. Should the moderation sanction users for old posts once new rules are instated?

Last edited:
No, the difference here is the whole sequel thinking. That does not exist: the rule is one mod for one game. AGoT even had conflicts with that with a CK1 modder splitting off, some wantiong to claim the mod due to a CK1 version and what not if I understood things correctly. AS much as the rules are not applied for a moder but a mod, they are for a mod, not a series.

So then what is it that allows MEIOU and Taxes to ignore certain rules?

So then what is it that allows MEIOU and Taxes to ignore certain rules?
As far as I know MEIOU & Taxes does not ignore certain rules at all. Please specify. About wikis?

As far as I know MEIOU & Taxes does not ignore certain rules at all. Please specify. About wikis?
MEIOU & Taxes is allowed to have a Facebook page. Other EU IV mods are not allowed to have one.

@AhoyDeerrr , would you please clarify which rules MEIOU and Taxes we get to ignore ?

MEIOU for EUIII hasn't gone on ModDB because i understood back then that it wasn't authorised (although not enforced and some other EUIII mods used it). AGoT has an external forum, which was already forbidden during EUIII days (though, again, not enforced).

MEIOU & Taxes is allowed to have a Facebook page. Other EU IV mods are not allowed to have one.
That is such a little detail that I had not even thought on it. Completely insignificant, but OK, @gigau will have to explain that.
MEIOU for EUIII hasn't gone on ModDB because i understood back then that it wasn't authorised (although not enforced and some other EUIII mods used it). AGoT has an external forum, which was already forbidden during EUIII days (though, again, not enforced).
Now it is strictly enforced and previously it was ambigious, which is the difference, I believe. Same with GitHub: now we have a clear stance, previously it was a bit unclear.

That is such a little detail that I had not even thought on it. Completely insignificant, but OK, @gigau will have to explain that
I didn't even know a mod's facebook page was forbidden.

Our facebook age was created in the first days of the mod, immediately added to my signature here, added to our main sticked link thread... I never got any comment from anybody.

Our facebook age was created in the first days of the mod, immediately added to my signature here, added to our main sticked link thread... I never got any comment from anybody.
I completely understand that. You see: the same thing applied for the GitHub and WtWSMS (I believe it has been the same thing for moddb and external forums). As long as it isn't explicit most things seem to be tolerated both by the moderators and users. It is therefore good to have these kind of discussions. But this doesn't allow paradox to start sanctioning or forbidding everything afterwards because rules should be universal: it would be very counter-productive and discourage the community from taking new initiatives or inventing new concepts in the ever-expanding web.

I completely understand that. You see: the same thing applied for the GitHub and WtWSMS (I believe it has been the same thing for moddb and external forums). As long as it isn't explicit most things seem to be tolerated both by the moderators and users. It is therefore good to have these kind of discussions. But this doesn't allow paradox to start sanctioning or forbidding everything afterwards because rules should be universal: it would be very counter-productive.
I've heard of mods who have not been allowed to create a Facebook page.
Rules should apply to all mods.