• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((
Damn this engine sir, one slider makes compromises impossible;
I guess this means I can do naught but concede the point to you.
))

I want to communicate to my lords, the Emperor, the Shogun, and the Daimyos, that the oppinions of Seita-san are not shared by the rest of us, sane and loyal samurais. Although ideas are to be respected when they are the children of a reasonable mind, his are the bastards of a sickly imagination, fueled by the nanban wine and unproper talks with the Dutchs merchants at Dejima. He insults the emperor, asking him to step down, and, with it, rejecting all Divinity in our government, lowering us to the tribes of barbarian Mongolia. He wants us to become a "democracy", a government by the people, and a republic, like America.

Do I have to explain the madness in his word? Do we want to get back to "Gekokujo", the rule of our inferiors? Do we want the Ikko-Ikki madness back? The job of the ruler is to rule, the job of the subject is to obey. We don´t expect an oxen to tell the herder how he should herd it. Why should we expect the peasants to tell us how to rule? Society is divinely ordained: as long as everyone does his function, it will work. If people start acting as what they aren´t, society is to collapse in anarchy, decadence, and vice.

He ask for respect for women: I doubt there is anyone here which doesn´t respect them. They are worth of respect, as long as they fulfill their proper roles: as war and hard work is the domain of the man, childbearing, the caring of their husbands and homes, the education of their children, and all the womanly arts are the domains of the woman. Shouls we expect them to act as men? No. Should we expect us to act as women? No, of course. What´s next? Expect people to act as horses?

Except criminals, everyone is useful in our society, Seita-san. No one denies it. But someone worthy of respect, and civilized, recognizes our sacred, traditional society, and shouldn´t try to overthrown it, least madness rules over his head.

With these words, I don´t try to convince Seita-san: madness may be too ingrained in his mind. I am just trying to show the Shogun, the Emperor, and the Daimyos that most samurais don´t think like Seita-san and his lackeys, but we are still loyal subjects of their authority

With all due respect to the Honourable Samurai, the Dutch are no longer a republic, but a monarchy, ruled by a King. I suspect the work of a fouler Nanban power is at play here, if any.

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu.

"Progress is key, and modernization is the only way forward. Without proper stability and economic and social progress, progress and modernization will lag behind and cause a nation great distress and panic."

Dear fellow Japanese,
I send you this letter today in the year of Tenpo 7 (or 1836 A.D. as the Westerners rightly name it). I issued this letter to you people due to multiple concerns and problems with the resistant, unwilling and downright awful policies that the old, haggard Japanese government has confined us to. Ever since the beginning of this year, I have been contemplating writing this letter multiple times. I even wondered if I would be arrested just because I showed my honest, truthful opinion about Japan. But, I have decided enough is enough. Too many people have been persecuted in this ridiculous Tokugawa regime, and I now don't simply give a damn if I am arrested and tortured. Japan needs change, and it needs change right now.

Anyways, I have an issue with many policies in Japan right now. Firstly, the old, ridiculous Emperor should have been deposed years ago. His policies did nothing to help us in the Tenpo Famine that lasted for three years, and is still clinging onto us to this day. He has also abused his power and almost destroyed all forms of honour that Japan had in the international world. He is the primary reason I despise Japan's current government, and I feel that the majority of the people in Japan have made the right decision by wanting him to abdicate. I feel that an Emperor in general is not needed, since progressive Western democracies like the United States of America seem to be doing quite well without an Emperor.

Secondly, the Kyoto Protocols that are currently being debated about are ridiculous, oppresive and downright wrong in my opinion. Regional daimyo should be able to have at least some form of independence when recruiting Ashigaru or Yobusame, and shouldn't have to be overlooked by a provincial daimyo as if they cannot be efficient on their own.

Of course, preventing daimyo from warring with each other will prevent bloodshed, but the balance of power in Japan is already corrupted with the Shogun acting like a big stick to the little bugs he calls the daimyos and samurais.

But, the third law is the most corrupted and oppressive in my opinion, as it forces daimyo to contribute their armies to the Shogun upon request. Japan needs less oppresive and restrictive laws, not more if we want to be treated as a civilized and respectable society and culture to the rest of the Western world. Plus, daimyos are people, not little toys that you call up whenever you want. They have their own feelings and emotions, and should be able to decided whether or not they join the Shogun's war without being majorly punished just for refusing to send their troops.

And that is all for the Kyoto Protocols that I dislike, as I feel that numbers four and five are somewhat decent.

As for the Treasury Plan, I approve. This is a definite sign that at least one daimyo in Japan is able to have an open heart and mind, and suggest change.

Finally, Japan needs to desperately modernize and open its borders with the outside world. If we don't do this, then Japan will just be conquered by a more superior Western civilization just like the Chinese. But, that is all from me.

- Sincerely, Seita-san.

And yet, the little flies still stick to the paper wall, even with my "treasonous" proclamation. It is really, really sad and disgusting that people still believe in the Emperor's false, uncaring and downright ruthless propaganda. But, it seems that people are finally listening to what I have to say, at least. Now, the daimyo argue about the "useless" women and poor-class.

In my opinion, the women of Japan need just as much respect as the men, as I have seen the effectiveness and efficiency that women have. It is truly sad that even the Western world isn't capable enough to understand basic human decency...but that is another time and another day.

I also feel that the poor class deserve significantly more amounts of respect and tolerance, and should be treated as equals in Japan if we want to truly be modern, maybe even more respected than the Westerners. I came from a poor family and I can definitely tell you my family works hard, yet they don't earn enough money each month to even build a proper home.

Also, all people must be treated equally if we want our population to succeed, and even the idea of a real Japanese Empire is completely ludicrous at an unstable time like this.

But, I digress. 'Tis another issue Japan must wriggle out of in order to modernize. Sincerely, Seita-san.

See what happens when you allow the 南蛮Nanban to roam about our good nation! This Seita has clearly been conversing with the オランダ語Dutch at Nagasaki. This once proud member of the 侍samurai class has been corrupted by the wicked words of the 南蛮Nanban. He claims that the キリスト教徒Kirisutokyōto are right and that their "God" is the one true 神kami. Despite what my fellow 神Daimyo say I do not believe the poor soul to be insane rather he has consumed far to much of the information the 南蛮Nanban have fed him. The Dutch, once more a monarchy, probably spoke to him of revolution; they made him believe that he would lead the people of nippon in a democratic republic of the American style. My fellow 神Daimyo, the man is clearly guilty of high treason and as such should be executed. As his head rolls consider this: that he is the result of trade with the dreaded 南蛮Nanban; and if we open our borders to their merchants then all the peoples of Nippon will be under the same influence he was under, thousands of them will come to the same conclusions as him. If we open our borders we will have 十万jyu-man Seita's; are we ready for that?

~ Yoshito; Elder Fureno & Lord Shizuoka

I want to communicate to my lords, the Emperor, the Shogun, and the Daimyos, that the oppinions of Seita-san are not shared by the rest of us, sane and loyal samurais. Although ideas are to be respected when they are the children of a reasonable mind, his are the bastards of a sickly imagination, fueled by the nanban wine and unproper talks with the Dutchs merchants at Dejima. He insults the emperor, asking him to step down, and, with it, rejecting all Divinity in our government, lowering us to the tribes of barbarian Mongolia. He wants us to become a "democracy", a government by the people, and a republic, like America.

Do I have to explain the madness in his word? Do we want to get back to "Gekokujo", the rule of our inferiors? Do we want the Ikko-Ikki madness back? The job of the ruler is to rule, the job of the subject is to obey. We don´t expect an oxen to tell the herder how he should herd it. Why should we expect the peasants to tell us how to rule? Society is divinely ordained: as long as everyone does his function, it will work. If people start acting as what they aren´t, society is to collapse in anarchy, decadence, and vice.

He ask for respect for women: I doubt there is anyone here which doesn´t respect them. They are worth of respect, as long as they fulfill their proper roles: as war and hard work is the domain of the man, childbearing, the caring of their husbands and homes, the education of their children, and all the womanly arts are the domains of the woman. Shouls we expect them to act as men? No. Should we expect us to act as women? No, of course. What´s next? Expect people to act as horses?

Except criminals, everyone is useful in our society, Seita-san. No one denies it. But someone worthy of respect, and civilized, recognizes our sacred, traditional society, and shouldn´t try to overthrown it, least madness rules over his head.

With these words, I don´t try to convince Seita-san: madness may be too ingrained in his mind. I am just trying to show the Shogun, the Emperor, and the Daimyos that most samurais don´t think like Seita-san and his lackeys, but we are still loyal subjects of their authority

It is a great relief to know that not all the 侍samurai have been possessed by a great desire to follow the ways of the 南蛮Nanban.

~ Yoshito; Elder Fureno & Lord Shizuoka

Reactions:
When the Jodo-shinshu fanatics first arose in the time of the Ashikaga, our wise ancestors did not see the wisdom in shutting down every last Buddhist Temple in order to deal with them. One would be rash to jump to conclusions pertaining to entire nations and peoples on the basis of a letter sent by a lowly samurai.

See what happens when you allow the 南蛮Nanban to roam about our good nation! This Seita has clearly been conversing with the オランダ語Dutch at Nagasaki. This once proud member of the 侍samurai class has been corrupted by the wicked words of the 南蛮Nanban. He claims that the キリスト教徒Kirisutokyōto are right and that their "God" is the one true 神kami. Despite what my fellow 神Daimyo say I do not believe the poor soul to be insane rather he has consumed far to much of the information the 南蛮Nanban have fed him. The Dutch, once more a monarchy, probably spoke to him of revolution; they made him believe that he would lead the people of nippon in a democratic republic of the American style. My fellow 神Daimyo, the man is clearly guilty of high treason and as such should be executed. As his head rolls consider this: that he is the result of trade with the dreaded 南蛮Nanban; and if we open our borders to their merchants then all the peoples of Nippon will be under the same influence he was under, thousands of them will come to the same conclusions as him. If we open our borders we will have 十万jyu-man Seita's; are we ready for that?

((Hooray! Someone uses my 書き込みフォーマット writing format))

You're all wrong. There's one samurai who supports Seita-san, even if he doesn't want his help. I, Asahi Daika, loyal servant of the Daimyo of Yokohama, support him. You don't want to see Japan's needs. We need to open, to field a strong army, to become a great nation. Do you like democracies? No? Do you think a feudal system is better? Yes, you do. And you're wrong. Seita spoke and is still speaking the truth. You say the naiban are barbarians who try to destroy Japan. Then, tell me, why are they powerful and well-know, meanwhile Japan is suffering a decadency? We must open our frontiers. They're human, just as the samuri are, just as he daimyos are, just as the Emperor is. Also, you say Japan's better, don't you? Well, if someone kills someone in a Western country they'll punish him. Here, if a daimyo kills a samurai who only wants a better Japan everybody think that's correct, fair and neccesary. How ridiculous.

When the Jodo-shinshu fanatics first arose in the time of the Ashikaga, our wise ancestors did not see the wisdom in shutting down every last Buddhist Temple in order to deal with them. One would be rash to jump to conclusions pertaining to entire nations and peoples on the basis of a letter sent by a lowly samurai.

You're all wrong. There's one samurai who supports Seita-san, even if he doesn't want his help. I, Asahi Daika, loyal servant of the Daimyo of Yokohama, support him. You don't want to see Japan's needs. We need to open, to field a strong army, to become a great nation. Do you like democracies? No? Do you think a feudal system is better? Yes, you do. And you're wrong. Seita spoke and is still speaking the truth. You say the naiban are barbarians who try to destroy Japan. Then, tell me, why are they powerful and well-know, meanwhile Japan is suffering a decadency? We must open our frontiers. They're human, just as the samuri are, just as he daimyos are, just as the Emperor is. Also, you say Japan's better, don't you? Well, if someone kills someone in a Western country they'll punish him. Here, if a daimyo kills a samurai who only wants a better Japan everybody think that's correct, fair and neccesary. How ridiculous.

You are wrong Honourable Lord Hosokawa there are already multiple traitors; we must stamp them out lest their ember come to flame!

~ Yoshito; Elder Fureno, Lord Shizuoka

((can I put forth an act or do I need the GMs permission for that?))

You're all wrong. There's one samurai whso supports Seita-san, even if he doesn't want his help. I, Asahi Daika, loyal servant of the Daimyo of Yokohama, support him. You don't want to see Japan's needs. We need to open, to field a strong army, to become a great nation. Do you like democracies? No? Do you think a feudal system is better? Yes, you do. And you're wrong. Seita spoke and is still speaking the truth. You say the naiban are barbarians who try to destroy Japan. Then, tell me, why are they powerful and well-know, meanwhile Japan is suffering a decadency? We must open our frontiers. They're human, just as the samuri are, just as he daimyos are, just as the Emperor is. Also, you say Japan's better, don't you? Well, if someone kills someone in a Western country they'll punish him. Here, if a daimyo kills a samurai who only wants a better Japan everybody think that's correct, fair and neccesary. How ridiculous.

His Imperial Majesty us not just a mere human, he is the embodiment of divinity itself.

This is just a piece of Japanese culture. That culture is what kept Japan united, and what differentiates it from other countries. Completely Nanban-izing and erasing our culture, as you suggest, will bring only destruction upon the people of Japan.

As for the foreigners: Do not be fooled to think they have our best interests in mind. I do agree there we should change our foreign policy, that we should open up and modernize; but that should be done carefully, and wisely.

~ 大名西村浩、福岡藩の主 Daimyo Nishimura Hiroshi, Lord of the Fukuoka Domain

((can I put forth an act or do I need the GMs permission for that?))

((You can put one forward if you like, but of course it's up to Naxhi as to whether we'll be allowed to vote on it or not.))

I remind Asahi-kun that a republic and a democracy is not the same thing, and that his lord is in no way a republican nor a democrat (or at least, he has never formally admitted to holding such views.) If a samurai's views conflict with those of his Lord - not merely differ, but conflict - then he can hardly be called a "loyal servant" of said Lord, now can he? If the Foreign Advisor ordered you to execute a republican for the sole crime of being a republican, would you follow through with your Lord's order?

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

I remind Asahi-kun that a republic and a democracy is not the same thing, and that his lord is in no way a republican nor a democrat (or at least, he has never formally admitted to holding such views.) If a samurai's views conflict with those of his Lord - not merely differ, but conflict - then he can hardly be called a "loyal servant" of said Lord, now can he? If the Foreign Advisor ordered you to execute a republican for the sole crime of being a republican, would you follow through with your Lord's order?

-- Hosokawa-dono, Lord of Higo and Roju of Kyushu

They're not the same, but they're both better than our feudal monarchy. I swear loyalty to my Lord, but he doesn't share my point of view. He is traditional, and doesn't want to see what Japan need. I try to be a loyal servant, but as the Honorable Hosokawa-dono has pointed, I can hardly be call one of these since I do not agree with him. Answering your question, I wouldn't follow that order. I swore loyalty, but I will follow my beliefs and what I think is right, even if that means becoming a ronnin, dishonour myself or betral my actual Lord. ((Question: Can I simply say "I go ronnin" or does that count as a class change?))

His Imperial Majesty us not just a mere human, he is the embodiment of divinity itself.

This is just a piece of Japanese culture. That culture is what kept Japan united, and what differentiates it from other countries. Completely Nanban-izing and erasing our culture, as you suggest, will bring only destruction upon the people of Japan.

As for the foreigners: Do not be fooled to think they have our best interests in mind. I do agree there we should change our foreign policy, that we should open up and modernize; but that should be done carefully, and wisely.

His imperial majesty is a human as we all are. He's as human as a merchant is, as a nanban is. I know you, daimyos, will see this as a blasfemy, but just think: Who was the one who said the Emperor is a god? He said it. Now, I can say I'm a god. Would you believe me? You wouldn't, because I'm just a poor low class samurai. But the Emperor was born in a palace, with hundreds of servants. He's considered better than us, just because he was born in a different place. We must change that. In democracy all the people are equal, the law punishes everyone, and the citizens elect their leader. I have even heard about something called "Woman Suffrage", giving political rights to the women. More surprinsingly, I have heard about a queen on England. I don't know wheter she is the queen, was the queen or will be the queen, but I don't care. To open our borders doesn't mean losing the Japanese culture, and that's one of the few points I agree with Nishimura-Dono, we must open and modernize, carefully, and wisely. We won't "nanban" our culture, we will only open to their means, and with them in mind, bring a prosperous future to Japan.

The Emperor is not merely our Head of State; he is a direct descendant from the Goddess Amaterasu. Suggesting that the Emperor of Japan abdicate is akin to asking the Vatican to excommunicate the Pope. Question him and you question the fundamental pillar upon which the rest of Japanese society, both secular and spiritual, stands. Remove that pillar, and you bring the entire edifice which rests upon it crashing down. It is not something to be spoke of lightly.

((ANOTHER LETTER.... :p))

Dear fellow Japanese,
Well, looks like I get to keep my head for another day. Now, my fellow modern-thinking samurai Asahi Daika has certainly put up an interesting point. The Emperor calls himself a "god". Why does he call himself a god if all he does is bad things for our noble country? It seems quite foolish of all of you to still worship the man after what he has done.

His reign of mediocrity and downright corruption has led to the Tenpo famine, should I remind you? A famine that has killed thousands of poor Japanese people, and still going on today! Should I also remind you that this "God" of an Emperor has exiled the only European woman to enter Japan in 1817? Seems to me this "God" has bad judgement. The Emperor is also old, and doesn't understand the problems of Japan.

- Sincerely, Seita-san.

His reign of mediocrity and downright corruption has led to the Tenpo famine, should I remind you? A famine that has killed thousands of poor Japanese people, and still going on today! Should I also remind you that this "God" of an Emperor has exiled the only European woman to enter Japan in 1817? Seems to me this "God" has bad judgement. The Emperor is also old, and doesn't understand the problems of Japan.

- Sincerely, Seita-san.

The Emperor is a spiritual leader who leaves the governance of the temporal realm to the Shogun. Accusing the Emperor of incompetence for not performing adequately the role which for centuries has been the duty of the Shogun is akin to blaming the famine on the samurai for not tending to "their" fields; that is the duty of the peasants, not the samurai.

P0000149309S0005T2.jpg

House Fureno
For too long the insolent Seita and his lackey Asahi Daika have spread falsehoods throughout the good land of 日本 Nihon. The peasantry are rebellious stirred up by the evil that Seita preaches; women clamour for more rights and the 南蛮 nanban have been whispering into the ear of Seita himself.
I therefore humbly suggest the implementation of what I call the "Save the Emperor Agreement"
天皇契約を保存します
Ten'nōkeiyaku o hozonshimasu
Save the Emperor Agreement
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I: The traitors Asahi Daika and Seita will be executed.
~A: Any person/s, regardless of rank, found to be assisting them in any way will be executed.
~ B: Any person/s of the lower class that refuses to assist in this endeavour will be executed.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
II: Any person/s, regardless of rank, who is thought to be sympathetic to Seita's ideals will be arrested.
~A: If said person/s fails to prove their innocence they will be executed.
~B: If said person/s proves their innocence they will be freed and compensated.
~C: Trails will be held in Kyoto with the Emperor, or his representative, as judge.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
III: People who wish to visit Nagasaki must request permission from the Emperor, or one of his officials. If their request is granted they will be issued a "visa"; a document which grants them access to Nagasaki.
~A: They must show this document to any official who requests to see it.
~B: The document can be used as evidence in the trails under Clause II.
~C: A permanent record of those, of high rank (samurai and above), who have requested access will be held in Kyoto.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
IV: The following will be classed in a political ideology know as: 共和主義 Kyōwashugi. All symbols associated with said ideology will be banned.
~A: Ousting the Emperor, or claiming that he is in fact not our divine ruler.
~B: Giving women the rights of men.
~C: Allowing Nanban free reign in Nippon.
~Yoshito; Elder Fureno, Lord Shizuoka

III: People who wish to visit Nagasaki must request permission from the Emperor, or one of his officials. If their request is granted they will be issued a "visa"; a document which grants them access to Nagasaki.
~A: They must show this document to any official who requests to see it.
~B: The document can be used as evidence in the trails under Clause II.
~C: A permanent record of those, of high rank (samurai and above), who have requested access will be held in Kyoto.
~Yoshito; Elder Fureno, Lord Shizuoka

I wonder to the necessity of such "visas". Documents like this are used to regulate those who travel into and out of the country. 長崎 Nagasaski, as the honourable lord should know, is part of our glorious nation and I see no need in requiring those visas to access it.

Dear fellow Japanese for the last time,
I can't stand this devilish country anymore. I am fleeing with my family tto the Portuguese colony of Macau in China.
- Sincerely, a new man.