• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just like irl.

2me7ak5.jpg

Well, I do agree with that. The problem is that they can simply take the entire map this way. I don't see anything stopping them. What am I missing?

1. Stay in Western Europe, Britain, Scandinavia, Africa or India.
2. Build a large enough army to handle them. They will get a single addition to their army and then depend on their holdings.
3. Try to hang on long enough - they will eventually break up.

In my game, Ilkhanate got as far as Damascus and is now broken down and has no territory. Golden Horde has reached the Black Sea and is now dealing with rebels, and some parts have split out.

Well, I do agree with that. The problem is that they can simply take the entire map this way. I don't see anything stopping them. What am I missing?
They rarely get further west than Kiev, if even that far. They are powerful at the beginning, but those massive stacks don't replenish. They will be whittled down by sieges and battles eventually, and that's your chance to make your comeback.

First thread I've seen calling the Mongols OP. when was your start date?
They just are. 120k-190k Attritionless stack, with OP skirmish troops with horse archers so they can just siege everything down with it in seconds (the one thing the mongols sucked in irl was siege, btw) combined with an OP CB. Give these to any player and they will roflstomp everything within a decade. The fact the AI sucks even with these shouldn't make players for crying even more broken mongols, but a better AI, lol.

The trick to surviving the Mongols is to become their vassals and wait 20 years.

They'll implode before they reach either Baghdad or Kiev and you can easily win your war for independence. The Mongols are neither underpowered nor are they overpowered. They're impossible to beat in a head-to-head fight, but cursed with AI so incalcuably stupid that that they can never even come close to achieving 1/4 of their historic strength.

The Mongols need revisiting, if for nothing else than just to unify them before splitting them off into their separate hordes upon Genghis's death.

Most of the times at least of them converts to a religion that is suitable to yours. Ally them and then call them into war against the other or against multiple larger opponents. They'll do all the work for you while they lose their event spawned troops. Best way to deal with Hungary as well in the 800 something start.

In earlier versions they were crazy OP. I saw Ilkhanate get to the Rhine once
Yeah in older versions they received replenished doomstacks on succession, I think, so they never really slowed down.

Btw, this is my empire: View attachment 123251
You're pretty huge, so I wouldn't worry. In the first war(s) with the mongols just throw men at them to try do deplete their doomstacks. You still may lose, but in future wars they won't have massive attrition-free stacks and you'll easily be able to beat them. At your size it will probably only take 1 war to ruin their offensive capability.

Last edited:
Lol don't give me this bs :D If irl the mongols had as much advantage as they got in the game they would have been stopped by... the Atlantic, lol. The devs made them all kinds of OP just because the AI sucks if they don't have this.

Well, IRL mongol field scouts were in sight of Wien, but Ogodei Khan died in 1242, so mongols go back to choose new khan. It's argueable if mongols could sack Wien as they did with Lublin or Krakow, but it was not something unnoticeable to HRE or Byzantine emperors.

Kick their invading asses all the way back to Asia. I've did it, I'm sure it can be done. Just like the Aztecs. The thing is they get special extra units, but after they waste that they're down to whatever they can get from holdings which is usually not much. The trick is to weaken that 80k stack as much as possible even at the price of losing battles. Eventually they won't have that many units left and you can spam them with holy orders and mercs then. Bad timing can screw you over a lot though and it's definetly not easy, but they can be pwn'd.

The existence of this thread suggests that all is well in the world of CK2!

With an OP blob the size of yours, you should be welcoming the challenge. The only reason you're getting beat is probably because you're bad.

Anyway, they run out of steam before getting out of the eastern side of the map, so just swear fealty if you're a wimp and wait it out.

Lol don't give me this bs :D If irl the mongols had as much advantage as they got in the game they would have been stopped by... the Atlantic, lol. The devs made them all kinds of OP just because the AI sucks if they don't have this.

It was internal problems which stopped the Golden Horde. They won all the battles and occupied vast swathes of Europe- they simply withdrew to the East when Ogedei died, and when they eventually returned many decades later they were not in the same position.

Anyhoo, OP, with an empire that size, you should be having no problems... A challenge, certainly, but one you should be able to deal with.