Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I Kickstarted a certain Eternal game back before you became publisher. Guess how happy I was to hear that when they first got a publisher after all, it was you.:D

My question: Are you planning any long term colloboration, or is Pillars of Eternity at the moment a one off thing?

We always enter our developer partnerships with the ambition to make it a long term one if it makes sense for both sides, as far as the specific relationship with Obsidian we will start off with Pillars of Eternity.

Kind regards
Susana

Have you ever considered making an "entry-level" grand strategy game?

I'm thinking about the kind of gamer who plays Civ but is scared by the complexity of your games.
If you made a simplified grand strategy game, this product not only would sell on its own, but would also help generate new gamers for your already established franchises.

Obviously, it should be a new game, not a simplified version of something that already exists. The Roman Empire time frame would be perfect for this, but if you made such a game the community would go nuts :( Or maybe a East India Trading Company game, a mix between CK2 and EU4.

In any case, I know, the idea is freaking good.

I've always seen the EU series as the entry level PDS franchise?

well 2 question!
1. When i will get my 150k crowns for orl (becouse i won)
2. When will you announce the winners in singalong?

Hi! Congratulations on your win! The ORL is a community-run tournament, as such you need to contact the organisers about your prize. They normally get in touch with me to credit the prizes, if this hasn't been done then please do push them along. :)

The winners for the sing-a-long will be announced in the next 5 minutes or so, check our Facebook.

I've always seen the EU series as the entry level PDS franchise?

I think EU is too complicated to be considered an entry level anything, even though I do agree with your assessment. Confused? Me too.

I think EU is too complicated to be considered an entry level anything, even though I do agree with your assessment. Confused? Me too.
EU isn't particularly complicated. But I have seen people claiming that almost every game was the entry game so I guess it depends on the specific person.

EU isn't particularly complicated. But I have seen people claiming that almost every game was the entry game so I guess it depends on the specific person.

Victoria 1 was my entry, and apparently that game drives people insane with complexity and clunky interface. I loved it, though.

Victoria 1 was my entry, and apparently that game drives people insane with complexity and clunky interface. I loved it, though.
Exactly my point. I have also seen people complain about EU4 being too complex.

My point, to clarify, was that I believe the Big Four of CK, EU, Victoria, and HOI are all of equal complexity although viewpoints vary per individual. Personally, I find CK and HOI to be a bit more taxing on my patience than EU or Victoria; but I love all four of the games. I think people (sometimes) confuse their natural propensities to the games as levels of complexity.
EU was my first of the Paradox games and I fell into playing quite naturally.

HOI, being WWII, was also a natural for me to play, although the amounts of micro management drives me batty at times. Yes, I know I can turn over aspects to the AI. But do I? Hardly ever. It's a character flaw.

Victoria was a challenge at first. It took some time and hard work to finally understand how to play. Now it's my favorite game of them all. The transition from V1 to V2 was almost as bad. Again, it's still my favorite.

CK? I'm still working on this one. The period of history this represents holds very little interest for me and the game is something of an enigma to me as well. It is fun and entertaining while I play, but I can't pretend to comprehend this game well enough to develop a real strategy for it.

Okay. I'm done.

EU is by far the most simple game of the big four.

I'd say there's a distinction; EU can still be played fairly easily even if you don;t pay a huge amount of attention to every single stat; the same can't be said of HoI, Vicky or CK.

What doe Paradox staff think? Which PDS game that you didn't work on did you find easiest to get into?

EU is babysteps compared to learning how Vicky functions at the basic level... In old good Eu2 you just had to click some events, maybe invade someone once in a while, and the game was nice when listening to the constant flow of Falalan.

Boxers or Briefs?

Boxers or Briefs?
Sorry, do you mean who would I root for or who do I think would win?

I have something of a soft spot for the Chinese rebels, but if it comes to court the lawyers are always the real winners.

Both questions are for Publishers and Developers

IF you had to choose any Paradox game, Which one would you choose and why ?

And as a second question - What game would you recommend ( Paradox title only lol ). For someone that has both Ck2 and Eu4 ? and love those types of games. What game would you choose for that person to play next and why.

Both questions are for Publishers and Developers

IF you had to choose any Paradox game, Which one would you choose and why ?

And as a second question - What game would you recommend ( Paradox title only lol ). For someone that has both Ck2 and Eu4 ? and love those types of games. What game would you choose for that person to play next and why.

I can't answer your first question. But I would probably recommend Vic 2. It's a different game, but I still recommend it :)