• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love the steppe and keep meaning to do a full game out there, especially with the new(ish) sprites and faces.

You have a nack for shifting between gentle writing and the sharper, quicker scenes that really fits the feel of the story... I'm curious to see how this progresses.

Oooh, glad you're back! I'm happy to be reading another of your AARs.

Chapter Three: Ipekel of the Kirghiz

Fn5pVdE.jpg

A traditional ger of the steppes.

Bönek groaned, and rubbed his head. The light was streaming through a gap in the tent-flap, splitting his head open. He could almost feel his skull folding apart as he glared, bleary-eyed and through a fuzzy gaze, at his ger.

There was little to tell. It looked as though much had been smashed around, like some wild bout of wrestling had taken place. It was then that Bönek, with a sharp pain to his head, remembered the events which had taken place. He put them together, re-arranged them in his head until they made sense, and then swore, loudly.

Stumbling from the mat and reaching for some clothes, he hurriedly put them on and left the tent; only to be confronted by Eldeçyuk, sitting on a rock and conversing merrily with a pretty woman.

“Leave, maiden,” snapped Bönek. “Eldeçyuk. I may have made a mistake last night. Did I end up, erm…”

Eldeçyuk simply chuckled in response. “You may wish to greet your wife, my Khan. This is Ipekel.”

Bönek turned white. He turned slightly to examine his new bride. She was tall, and well-sculpted, a curious smirk on her face. Her eyes were thin, her skin dark and her eyes deep and lustrous. A fine figure, and not displeasing to the eye.

8u8bACP.png

Ipekel of the Kirghiz, wife of Bönek Khan.

But Bönek had not planned to marry for mere desire alone. He knew how marriage worked; it had to be political, and well-thought through. Perhaps the daughter of a Uyghur or Tatar chieftan; not some Cuman thrust upon him by his new Khan…

A thought occurred to him. He whipped out his blade, and with a sudden fury, raised it to her throat. Spies were not something he liked among his own kind, whatever their use in enemies. But the girl simply stifled a chuckle, and Eldeçyuk laughed heartily.

“What?” snapped Bönek suspiciously. “What is this?”

Eldeçyuk finished laughing, but kept up his amused grin. “As you appear to have deduced, your dear Ipekel here has been thrust upon you by the Cumans as a spy. However, before you kill her, you should probably know that she is not a Cuman but a Kirghiz.”

Bönek frowned. “Why would a Kirghiz work for the Cumans as a spy?”

Ipekel laughed. “Because, oh Khan, I do not. I work for you, now.”

Bönek narrowed his eyes slightly, before some measure of understanding came. “You’ve been playing him,” he murmured, lowering his sword.

Ipekel smiled as Bönek sat down next to them. “It wasn’t hard, my Khan. Acting demure and loyal, meek and humble. I became the perfect bride to give to some foreign dignitary. I was Kirghiz, which was doubly useful to him; it wasn’t hard to develop some story about my people being robbed by your clan.”

Bönek shook his head sharply. “Aahhhh…. You must forgive me, for my head is still dulled by the drug. Why did you do this thing?”

“Because she’s loyal” said Eldeçyuk. “She was but a babe when her father was slain and her mother was taken by the Uyghurs, and your clan were the ones who put paid to them. And why would you notice some herdsman’s daughter? So she plotted and schemed a way to pay you back.”

“So you stepped into his marriage plot”, smiled Bönek. “Knowing that I have no wife, and knowing that I need one. Clever. And now we have a spy in this Cuman’s camp, who can feed him information and gain it in return. Clever…”

“But I do not like being used,” he snarled at her, smile disappearing like a whip-crack. The clouds ahead were darkening, and soon it would be time to break camp, as the Cumans had already done. “You have spoilt my marriage plans, girl. I was waiting for a good alliance! What will I tell the Tatars now? They are a powerful tribe, and it is known that I planned on riding east to pick a wife. This will be an insult.”

But Ipelek remained undaunted. “You are thirty-seven, my Khan, and you have made such a trip many times without choosing a wife. If I may say so, you have probably insulted the other tribes more through such an action than through marrying me. I am, after all, a gift from the Cuman Khan, your most powerful neighbour. And you are not so young, my Khan. You need a son.”

Such a frank look on her face. The Khan was surprised at her. Her voice was logical, matter-of-fact, devoid of emotion. She was a strange one. One he must watch.

She’d told him this, of this plan, of these events, of a change in his whole life, as if it were merely a business transaction. As if she’d known him her whole life. He was taking it too calmly himself, he knew; perhaps he was the same as her, in essence. She was right; he needed a wife.

The world had suddenly seemed like some fine steel mechanism, like the ones that Chinese envoy had shown them. He saw the tree again, growing from his clan. Perhaps she was the soil it grew from.

“Now”, said Ipekel, “what are you going to do about this little problem you have?”

Bönek frowned. “What problem?”

“You are a minor leader. You have sworn allegiance to the Cumans and chosen their Khan as your own. You are his vassal, and he has the right to levy herds and call upon your warriors in wartime. This, I take it, is not a state you wish to perpetuate.”

“Indeed not”, murmured Eldeçyuk.

“Well,” smiled Ipekel, “I think your people have stayed their hands too long. The Karluks have been getting awfully arrogant recently…”

JVYZbBo.png

The confederacy of the Karluk Turks, a union owning large pastures in former Turgesh land, the region called Zhetysu...

My apologies for the update-delay; I have had a hectic couple of weeks. I'm settled back at uni now, though, so updating can resume.

I must admit to skimming the last few lines at first, to get to the finale, so my reading was roughly: "...world began to swim in colours..." - "...the horror on Eldeçyuk’s face ... realised just what his chief had done…"

Based on that, I gathered that Bönek had taken some magic mushrooms and fed them to his new Khan as well. Compared to that, marrying a commoner after a drunken rut seems positively pedestrian. :p

So, through no fault of your own, the dramatic payoff was a little lessened. :)

To recap: Bönek is now a vassal of Khan Sokal, the submission was mentally painful but now everyone is bestest of buddies. Or are they? It all seems a little too smooth, a little too easy. I expect there to be a nasty little tail somewhere. Perhaps Khan Sokal was secretly fancying Ipekel, or she is his daughter in disguise?

:rofl: Well, he's certainly been drugged, but not in so much of a psychedelic fashion :p.

They're... well, they're not exactly trusting each other yet. Bönek still sees Sokal as a mere stepping stone to future glory, while Sokal sees his new vassal as just another weak leader come to pay homage. Each underestimates the other, as Ipekel shows... :p.

As far as surprises from a night of heavy drinking go, I can think of worse things to wake up to in the morning than a wife, even if she is a commoner.

That said, I do have to wonder if Khan Sokal somehow knew this was going to happen and set it up to keep Bonek's eyes away from certain other women of his court...

Well, as the above update shows, Sokal certainly planned things that way; he simply isn't as good a judge of character as he thinks when he comes up against 21 diplomacy... :p.

Great scene, I liked the description...these things will happen in the morning.:)

Very cool. I am intrigued.

The way you describe Bonek's visions reminds me of Paul Atreides' from Dune.

Thanks :). There probably is a little influence there, as I read it for the first time very recently.

Another great chapter. Now that the Khan has married, even in drunkenness, he can make a 'hole bunch of sons and daughters and expand the clan. :p
Anyway, looking forward for more.

Are you playing on Ironman? Any mods?

Vanilla, no ironman. I normally do play on ironman, but for a narrative AAR I want to preserve the story as well, and my dynasty unceremoniously ending with a bunch of unfilled plot strings is a hazard of ironman :p I learnt this to my cost in my first AAR, after a character unceremoniously died after several updates bigging him up :p.

As for mods... I don't know, never really been a huge fan of changing the core-mechanics. With other games I tend to find the vanilla version tends to be a little better balanced. Haven't really played many CK2 mods aside from GoT and Elder Kings, so perhaps things are different with CK2 mods.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Thanks! :).

I love the steppe and keep meaning to do a full game out there, especially with the new(ish) sprites and faces.

You have a nack for shifting between gentle writing and the sharper, quicker scenes that really fits the feel of the story... I'm curious to see how this progresses.

Thanks :) the Steppe plays quite well, I find; though I'd recommend starting as the Yabguids rather than the Kirghiz, for the simple fact that the Kirghiz are damn hard. Plus, the Yabguids are the remnants of the old Oghuz confederacy, allowing for some neat roleplaying; I only picked the Kirghiz because they were the only eastern Steppe tribe available, with some cultural similarities to the Mongols.

Oooh, glad you're back! I'm happy to be reading another of your AARs.

Thanks- good to see you again :).

I'm really liking this so far. Subbed.

Hopping in. Looks promising so far. Lets hope you finish before some patch breaks the game once again. :ninja:

Thanks- we can but hope :p.

Very nice, I'm lovin it! Do you eventually plan on Reforming the Tengri faith or convert to Islam/Christianity?

Thanks also :). Was thinking about converting to Zoroastrianism, actually; it all depends on which conquest-path I go for :p Islam, Nestorianism or Buddhism are also possibilities (as they make sense historically), and perhaps a reformation; but I have plans for a Central Asian conquest and a Silk Road empire, which Zoroastrian suits the best at this point in time :).

It's looking good so far :)

Awesome so far! Subbed!

Thanks and thanks! :).

Bönek comes out ahead, it seems, ahead of Khan Sokal. But what of Ipekel? She has already successfully manipulated a Khan - what's to say she won't attempt the same with Bönek? It seems their interests align for the time being, but if there ever was a divergence, I'd be very careful if I were Bönek.

An unusual partnership (and another strong female character, I see ;)). I hope they will jointly propel the Kirghiz to great heights.

War! What it is good for?

(expansion, that's what!)

Very good writing this-have come to you via Character WritAAr of the week-count me in!

A question though: I note that the stats of our main protagonist are not actually that good in any respect...how would such an average man have become Khan? Interestingly his new bride's diplomacy is off the scale-how will you build that in?

Best Character Writer of the Week brought me here as well. I'll be joining along to see how the Steppe nation will do. Really liked the first chapter.

Very good writing this-have come to you via Character WritAAr of the week-count me in!

A question though: I note that the stats of our main protagonist are not actually that good in any respect...how would such an average man have become Khan? Interestingly his new bride's diplomacy is off the scale-how will you build that in?

I usually ignore the stats if they conflict with my narrative in the CK2 AARs I have written.

I usually ignore the stats if they conflict with my narrative in the CK2 AARs I have written.

Indeed. I was wondering what Tufto thought though. Mainly because I like to stick quite closely to their stats for storytelling. If you just ignore them why pay attention to any of it?

Hope you do go Zoroastrian. Tried to play as a Manichean Pecheneg Count where I converted to mainstream Zoroastrianism down the road. Expansion was a nightmare with the defensive pagans and half my dynasty refused to convert, so I ended up killing it :(