• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there way to play between 867-1066? I tried editing the defines.txt to let me play all the way back to 200AD and while I can move down to 200AD from 867. I'm still locked out from playing from 868 to 1065. Any ideas?

Does anyone know of any good sources about the history and administration of the Latin Empire? Wikipedia isn't really very concise and I can't find any books.

For the forming russian empire achivment, does "As a slav" refer to religion or culture?

Suppose I'm a republic who pledged allegiance to Byzantine Emperor.

There appear to be 4 ways how to become the emperor:
A) Inherit title via marriage
B) Claim the title using claim inherit from marriage
C) Be elected next emperor using elective succession
D) Put a relative on title then inherit him via seniority succession (default for patrician families)

Are all of these valid?
Am I missing any?

I have never played republic before so I am wondering if there are any limitations for republics.

I am currently Serene Doge Of Sicily (started as Doge of Amalfi and created the title).

Last edited:
Hunting event and fighting also get rid of craven. Just let the army stack you command fight alot...and pray.
Apparently the hunting event has been removed in a recent patch, there are threads about it in this forum, also:

* I have reloaded and tested Grand Hunt myself for many times, no craven removal.
* My ruler has been commanding many battles and castle assaults in two decades of constant warfare - no prayers left anymore.
* Before replying to you I checked hunting_events and battle_events files, couldn't find anything indicating it would work as you describe.

If I have absolute authority which gives 100% min levies, can I have all the individual max levy laws "Feudal levies", "Church levies" on minimum? After all, if min levies is 100%, max levies cannot be any lower.

Is there way to play between 867-1066? I tried editing the defines.txt to let me play all the way back to 200AD and while I can move down to 200AD from 867. I'm still locked out from playing from 868 to 1065. Any ideas?

I don't believe so.

Hansa republic game. The capital is Lübeck in the Duchy of Holstein.
- If I claim the Duchy of Holstein, I think it will be associated to the Hansa title, and not kept in my family (because the capital is in the de jure duchy). Am I right ?
- However, if I claim the Duchy of Jylland, will it remain in my family ?

Until you form a king level republic all duchy level titles will go with the primary since you can't have a same-tier vassal. If you are a kingdom level republic and create a duchy in Jylland it will stay with your family (however you may run into the dreaded "can't play a republic" game ender glitch).

I haven't played this game in about a year so it's pretty likely something big happened. How come as the count of Holland I can't form a faction against the King of Lotharingia? He's my direct liege, I COULD form a faction but something happened and it ended, I formed a new faction and the next day that ended. From then on the "start faction" button has been greyed out.

Mayb you got the content trait in between ? Just a guess.

Vassalizing Holy Orders, are they counted as Kings if I give them grant them a castle?

Playing with HIP I have just captured Tirol but even if I create County of Tirol as well as already being Duke of Bavaria (de Jure King) I am still getting a malus for "Not de Jure Liege" if I try to vassalize the Grand Master after the grant.

/Quisition

Vassalizing Holy Orders, are they counted as Kings if I give them grant them a castle?

Playing with HIP I have just captured Tirol but even if I create County of Tirol as well as already being Duke of Bavaria (de Jure King) I am still getting a malus for "Not de Jure Liege" if I try to vassalize the Grand Master after the grant.

/Quisition
They count as Dukes, not Kings.

Suppose I'm a republic who pledged allegiance to Byzantine Emperor.

There appear to be 4 ways how to become the emperor:
A) Inherit title via marriage
B) Claim the title using claim inherit from marriage
C) Be elected next emperor using elective succession
D) Put a relative on title then inherit him via seniority succession (default for patrician families)

Are all of these valid?
Am I missing any?

I have never played republic before so I am wondering if there are any limitations for republics.

I am currently Serene Doge Of Sicily (started as Doge of Amalfi and created the title).

Options A)C)D) impossible for a patrician, patricians cant inherit landed titles outside of the republic and landed characters outside of the republic are not eligible for inheriting patricianship.

B) works.

Pressing a catholic on the ERE throne, getting independence, becoming catholic then getting invasion CB from the Pope will work as well.