• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd like to plot to kill my liege but its not available as an option. How can I make it so?

Have you checked his character page? The actual Intrigue screen will usually only list people you stand to inherit from and your wife, however every character in the game has a personal 'plot' button on their character page to the left of their portrait and right below their realm coat of arms. That button will nearly always have the plot to kill them (will be greyed out if you already have an active plot).

I know a lot has been said about various problems with adventuring hosts, but I've noticed that hosts that spawn in my realm often sit in one spot, never moving or boarding perfectly good ships, and slowly starving to death. It's obviously not WAD, but is it a common issue or just in my game?

Should I arrange marriages for relatives of my dynasty when I already have a valid heir? As I see it I should try to prevent further children of my relatives so they can't contest my throne. And does the game end when my only son dies or can I continue with my half-brother when he is part of my dynasty? I started as the king of Munster in the year 1033.

I know a lot has been said about various problems with adventuring hosts, but I've noticed that hosts that spawn in my realm often sit in one spot, never moving or boarding perfectly good ships, and slowly starving to death. It's obviously not WAD, but is it a common issue or just in my game?

I've seen similar things. I'm lost as to what's causing it, but you aren't the only one.

Should I arrange marriages for relatives of my dynasty when I already have a valid heir? As I see it I should try to prevent further children of my relatives so they can't contest my throne. And does the game end when my only son dies or can I continue with my half-brother when he is part of my dynasty? I started as the king of Munster in the year 1033.

It's best to arrange marriages for your other children to ensure alliances with other powers, and to try and get the dynasty established elsewhere through inheritance. They'll also become allies if they're landed and independent.

The game certainly doesn't end if you don't have a son! Providing you're following your current succession law, you can pass your titles on to your grandchildren, siblings, cousins, uncles, and even further away (especially on Elective). It wasn't long ago my character died and her holdings went to her great-nephew on Primogeniture.

When you say 1033, do you mean 1066, or are you playing a mod?

I have an ironman save that I am 200 hundred years into. Every time I load it, the game crashes on the next day or when I save. I have no crashes otherwise. Is the save screwed or is there a fix to this? Thank you for any help.

I don't have an answer but I do have a comment. I am playing my first ironman game and the game has crashed on me twice. I never experienced any problems with non-ironman vanilla, which makes me wonder whether certain crashes and save game problems are exclusive to ironman?!

Last edited:
Two Questions:

[1] I needed cash so I borrowed from the jews and not having the money to repay the loan I banished them. I was prepared to take the penalties involved but thought it would only affect the offending character. What I didn't realise is that the Diplomacy malus would transfer to my heirs. Will the -2 Dip penalty ever go away, or is going to stay with me for the next 400 years?

[2] When a character's allies are shown in red I know it means they won't join him in an offensive war, but what about defensive? Will those allies join him if he is the innocent party when attacked?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I understand Norse culture would split into Norwegian Swedish and Danish in Scandinavia, and become Norman if in French territory. How about other regions? Will they stay Norse forever? I'm playing a Norse game in British Isles, and would like some suggestion what to do culture-wise. Should I stick to Norse, or switch to one of the local cultures, like Welsh for the longbow advantage? If I do switch to , say Welsh, myself, how do I get my vassals to follow ? Thanks!

I understand Norse culture would split into Norwegian Swedish and Danish in Scandinavia, and become Norman if in French territory. How about other regions? Will they stay Norse forever? I'm playing a Norse game in British Isles, and would like some suggestion what to do culture-wise. Should I stick to Norse, or switch to one of the local cultures, like Welsh for the longbow advantage? If I do switch to , say Welsh, myself, how do I get my vassals to follow ? Thanks!

Norse outside of Scandinavia will stay Norse culture all game, unless in France or Brittany in which case they become Norman. To convert your vassals, arrange to have their heirs educated by a landed Welsh culture character. Helps if they have Gregarious.

I would just stay Norse, the Longbow retinues aren't that much more effective than Housecarls... you can still steamroll anything with enough Housecarl retinues.

Have you checked his character page? The actual Intrigue screen will usually only list people you stand to inherit from and your wife, however every character in the game has a personal 'plot' button on their character page to the left of their portrait and right below their realm coat of arms. That button will nearly always have the plot to kill them (will be greyed out if you already have an active plot).
Thanks that worked! And the liege died not long after selecting it, though it said it was a natural death.

New question, is it possible to revoke cities without incurring infamy? As a Republic whenever I've fabricated a claim and gained a County I've given that castle to the existing cities Mayor making the City the capital province and he then creates a new barony. I'd like to revoke these capital cities and give them to members of my dynasty but I can't. As its a city I don't think there's ever a way to kill enough people so is there anything you can do?

I would just stay Norse, the Longbow retinues aren't that much more effective than Housecarls... you can still steamroll anything with enough Housecarl retinues.

I'd have to disagree. You are right that man for man, a longbowman isn't that better than a housecarl, but you can have double the longbowmen. It definitely pays off...

New question, is it possible to revoke cities without incurring infamy? As a Republic whenever I've fabricated a claim and gained a County I've given that castle to the existing cities Mayor making the City the capital province and he then creates a new barony. I'd like to revoke these capital cities and give them to members of my dynasty but I can't. As its a city I don't think there's ever a way to kill enough people so is there anything you can do?

I don't think there's a specific reason to revoke lawfully. You can try to revoke in the Plot menu, if it's available. You can also try, and will probably fail, to excommunicate the vassal>imprison/release repeat until he rebels, and then take his property lawfully as he is a traitor.

If you give your titles you don't want to give out coincidentally, try the: give_title titleID charID command to repair the damage.

I have an ironman save that I am 200 hundred years into. Every time I load it, the game crashes on the next day or when I save. I have no crashes otherwise. Is the save screwed or is there a fix to this? Thank you for any help.

Upload the save to some free filehosting site and make a thread in the bug report sub-forum and link the save to there. So the bug that causes it to crash might get fixed in later patch.

768 pages... What about page 764? Was his/her question answered? This is where the moderators need to step in and reset these threads.

Two Questions:

[1] I needed cash so I borrowed from the jews and not having the money to repay the loan I banished them. I was prepared to take the penalties involved but thought it would only affect the offending character. What I didn't realise is that the Diplomacy malus would transfer to my heirs. Will the -2 Dip penalty ever go away, or is going to stay with me for the next 400 years?

You will have the option to "welcome back the jews" after a certain amount of time. I'm not sure how long it will take, but in my current game, I borrowed and banished with my first ruler and was already able to welcome them back with his heir. So probably not that long. Take a look at your intrigue screen, you could be even able to do it now.
[2] When a character's allies are shown in red I know it means they won't join him in an offensive war, but what about defensive? Will those allies join him if he is the innocent party when attacked?
They'll join neither offensive nor defensive wars.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
You're very welcome.

tamius23 said:
It's best to arrange marriages for your other children to ensure alliances with other powers, and to try and get the dynasty established elsewhere through inheritance. They'll also become allies if they're landed and independent.

The game certainly doesn't end if you don't have a son! Providing you're following your current succession law, you can pass your titles on to your grandchildren, siblings, cousins, uncles, and even further away (especially on Elective). It wasn't long ago my character died and her holdings went to her great-nephew on Primogeniture.

When you say 1033, do you mean 1066, or are you playing a mod?

Thanks for your quick reply.
Sorry, I slipped up with the starting date, I meant 1066 :D
Perhaps I shouldn't have imprisoned my two half-brothers, now my family hates me.

Thanks that worked! And the liege died not long after selecting it, though it said it was a natural death.

I don't think there's a specific reason to revoke lawfully. You can try to revoke in the Plot menu, if it's available. You can also try, and will probably fail, to excommunicate the vassal>imprison/release repeat until he rebels, and then take his property lawfully as he is a traitor.

In addition to the sometimes-annoying-to-accomplish imprison-a-mayor, the answer is still yes. You already want count-level cities, so if you grant the county title to the old mayor, he'll be elevated to Lord Mayor -- this sounds like what you've already done, yes? At that point, you can plot against him, fabricate claims, or use inherited claims to freely revoke the title. The easiest way to do this (with mayors) is to place your own chancellor there and wait for the fabricated claim. In the mean time, he may also plot against you or even rebel on his own, in which case you're already good to go.

768 pages... What about page 764? Was his/her question answered? This is where the moderators need to step in and reset these threads.

I think your point here is that it is effectively unsearchable, and I totally agree, but I don't see how resetting it would help much either. Would you just outright delete the answers? That still makes them unsearchable...

Perhaps I shouldn't have imprisoned my two half-brothers, now my family hates me.

And quite possibly everyone else in your realm. No one likes a tyrant. Unless they were plotting against you, of course...

Is there any way to give the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate some more event troops? they invaded but a super Byzantium has actually started taking territory from them, it's kinda sad

I don't have an answer but I do have a comment. I am playing my first ironman game and the game has crashed on me twice. I never experienced any problems with non-ironman vanilla, which makes me wonder whether certain crashes and save game problems are exclusive to ironman?!
My messed up ironman game had 2 same date crashes 50 or so years before I had the final one I couldn't get past. I think iron man may have issues.

Is there any way to give the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate some more event troops? they invaded but a super Byzantium has actually started taking territory from them, it's kinda sad

Apart from modding and/or console use, no, there's no way to do that.

Still, something like that happens next to never, so savour the moment, you'll probably never witness Byzantium on their own beating the Mongols again.