• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh come on, this is going to fuck up all the mods and add zero depth. All the Pagans except the Norse have exactly zero flavour, 'Rus and Byzantium are completely ahistorical, the Crusades are still idiotic, and we're getting India?

Crusades are improved with every patch. Byzantium had a DLC so it should be patch things too. And Rus? The devs already said it's unlikely that they would add the Rota system, because it's hart to implement. And other pagans without flavour?`Maybe because we didn't know that much about them? What want you to add that is worth a own DLC?

Really... India didn't mean they don't add depht too. We know nothing about this expansion beside it's about India. Where did you know what they add and patches this time? People are stupid. They whine before they know anything of the expansion...

Don't really want to read through 40 pages, because I'm a lazy ass. Any word on more facepacks, or will this map expansion just add thirty more cultures with the arab portrait?

Really... India didn't mean they don't add depht too. We know nothing about this expansion beside it's about India. Where did you know what they add and patches this time? People are stupid. They whine before they know anything of the expansion...

Thure, ever heard of Opportunity cost?

Don't really want to read through 40 pages, because I'm a lazy ass. Any word on more facepacks, or will this map expansion just add thirty more cultures with the arab portrait?

Haven't heard news regarding that, but surely there'll be some cosmetic enhancements for, for example, hindus.

I'd expect 1-2 Unit packs, at least 1 face pack and a song pack to be accompany this dlc.

I'm relatively new to pdx-games, but if 10 years of playing mmo's taught me something, it is that people will whine and complain and when it's out buy it anyway (when they liked the base game). Hell i even bought the Republic though i never played one. I have Legacy of Rome mainly for Retinue and never done a proper muslim campaign and since i rarely play after the 1200s i rarely encounter those go damned aztecs.

Damn it. PDX can sell me anything.

I'm absolutely fine with this (expected) piece of DLC. I just hope it won't ruin the balance. Right now, the heartlands of western Africa can be easily conquered by 900, which doesn't make any sense, but doesn't affect the conquerors benefits all that much (tax and levies are low as hell). An epic out of control blob towards India might be scary.

Personally i do not interest India history, sorry, allways playing Franch characters, and cant imagine how Franches will interact with Rajas. I just want there will be no lags and freeses and bugs.

These are bugs which need to be fixed in patches, and not as DLC.

Some people would call them design suggestions rather than proper bug reports, and I've reported them already anyway. Have you noticed the part about 'since release'? I'd rather they fixed the bad or incomplete design of a lot of things in the game than make DLCs adding more stuff which will need balancing. The core part of the game is shallow, and an India DLC is not what we need now.

There ARE dynastic head decisions and influence, of a sort. It's in the Customization Pack. You're dynastic head if you're the highest titled member of your dynasty in the realm and there are no landed members of your dynasty outside of your realm. In this case, you get to rename your dynasty and change its coat of arms. Also, you get to name any dynasty member born in your court. It's not the level of dynastic power that you want, but there is something.

And as for a dynastic head, okay, how will you determine dynastic head if the dynasty is in multiple realms? And make sure that the system isn't horrifically complex or a system that boils down to "dynasty is always under the control of the player" because the AI needs to be able to handle it, too. Part of why you have relatively little control over your dynasty is also because Crusader Kings II has a very broad view of your dynasty, and with respect to that, we really could use cadet branches, if only to keep dynasties from ballooning out of control in terms of size. With this in mind, the scope of having such power over people in your court, but not elsewhere makes sense.

And I routinely arrange marriages for landed dynasts. If they like you and the candidate, they'll usually go along with it. Of course, this is also easier of you're Zoroastrian since basically any political concerns are overridden by their desire to keep it in the family and thanks to concubines, there tends to be plenty of family to keep it in.

Presumably, if altering such a core feature of gameplay like that was so easy, usable by the AI, and fun in practice, they'd likely have done it by now, or at least hinted that they were working on it.
The game already decides an overall dynasty head, even if there are characters in other realms. The dynasty head is marked in the dynasty tree window. You can't actually do anything with it, and there isn't even a scope that points to the dynasty head (something I've been asking for for a while now), but it technically is there. They just need to use it.

Possibly makes sense from a developers point of view to finish all map expansion planned for CKII before adding further depth. It might aid consistency and avoid unnecessary re-tweaking with patches.

The game already decides an overall dynasty head, even if there are characters in other realms. The dynasty head is marked in the dynasty tree window. You can't actually do anything with it, and there isn't even a scope that points to the dynasty head (something I've been asking for for a while now), but it technically is there. They just need to use it.

The problem is... If you play another character than the head of dynasty... Would you like to get marriages etc. dictated from the AI?

Okay, this leaves me really sceptical. We will have to wait and see how this turns out to be, but I'd much rather seen a DLC fleshing out the HRE mechanics or something adding RPG elements. I just don't think that the sheer scope of this is suitable for a DLC. This could be a game on its own. Its like merging CKII with Sengoku. In a game about european medieval dynasties, this somehow feels out of place. Can't wait for the first DDs.

Edit: I'm really hoping they add India as a map on its own. This would make more sense than just a huge map with everything involved. In this case, I still would have prefered a chinese setting, though.

Holy crap! What's with all the hate? I thought the PI fanbase was more mature than this. Am I the only one who is looking forward to this? I've been expecting an Indian DLC for a while now seeing as the internal factions and politics mirror that of Europe pretty well.

The inability to get your wife and kids out of jail is obnoxious, and it's slightly unrealistic to have chaplains that aren't bishops. But I would hardly call such items immersion-breaking. I mean, how realistic is it for characters to be transported from England instantly to the head of an army in Persia? Why is the supply limit for a province the same in summer versus winter? There are lots of minor issues like this, some more readily fixable than others. But if you want these quibbles fixed, then like I've been saying, you have to figure out a way to fund it. They've chosen an India DLC since they can't sell you a Court Chaplain DLC.

The problem is that there are so many very simple things that don't get any attention while this consumes resources.

And THEN we can get something that adds depth to the rest of the world!

Not necessarily, at this point I can easily imagine all sorts of surprises.

arbritrary bs to protect catholics? there is enough of that already, like the number of op holy orders. the sole reason why the crusader states formed and existed for as long as they did was because the muslim realms were distracted and divided, which is entirely possible in ck2.

They survived largely because some of the divided muslim states were allied to them. In fact, there were wars with both Christians and Muslims on each side. Something which is impossible here.

No, it actually wouldn't. A bit of The Republic. A bit of the Byzantium. A touch of Islamic systems. A touch of the Papal Politics system. And combined you could do it very well.

It would need to focus on currying favor in court for Governorships. But no, it could be done quite easily.

Seriously, people focus so much on the 'exotic' of China and forget it wasn't that different. I've been studying it for over a decade in Uni and Grad School. And I've been playing CKII since it came out. And really, it would not be hard to do justice to. Certainly it could be done better than the current way Byzantium is.

Basically, the Republic Stuff is the "Family Matters" side. You have your family base of power. Then you lobby the court to get Governorships for your dynastic head. Multiple wives would be allowed.

And once you have your Governorship or get named a provincial inspector, it's no different than being a Count (Inspector) or Duke (Governor), Even King if you get the 'right' titles. Heck, with enough family members in position, allies, and a solid enough base you could revolt and found your own Dynasty or overtake the current one.

Now, I'm not saying it can be done -now-. But it's not much of a stretch. The Imperial title is probably the one to need the most work, and the behind the scenes elements of it. Though honestly, that holds true for Imperial Titles in general in the game.

Actually, the hardest part is probably the cleave and coalesce element. The Imperial side works great once an Empire is founded. But how does it work until that point? Because there are some pretty crazy periods of disunity in this timeframe.

But that's exactly why it wouldn't make for a good thing to add alongside India. Better to leave it for the third phase of expansion so other stuff can be worked on, and ideas polished for this.

And I close with this statement too.

Remember, the Devs said that they are awestruck by the success of CKII - and that success is making things possible they never expected.

Actually, such tweaks would be necessary all the way west of Germany. With few exceptions, counts and barons make little sense, other than being a wide approximation; dukes don't make that much sense in Russia, either. There were no counts in Poland, Russia, Bohemia and so on; barring a certain layer of minor hereditary lords, you were either a prince of the ruling house or a magistrate appointed for life by the prince. Poland and Bohemia had a separate Latin word for 'prince' and 'duke', although it was blurred. Russia didn't have even that.

Still, Poland is filled with fantasy, where the king (who was not actually a king but anyway, this is a close approximation of the paramount prince) has a small demesne and the kingdom is full of hereditary dukes, something which never existed in Poland outside of the royal house (and neither did counts, few hereditary lordship would even rise to the CK2 barony level). At the same time research is being done about India, and we are wondering how the system can be adapted for China. :/

I probably don't need to mention Byzantium.

India? Screw that poo. That place had little to no interaction with Europe and the ME (apart from the trade routes that aren't even simulated) in the period. Of all the things they could do to make a game about the crusades, heresies, knights and peasants more interesting they simply expand the map to encompass more territory without any historical relevance.

Then again, after the Aztecs I was constantly worried they would just say screw it and throw all pretense into the wind.

The change of the de iure concept from reflection of existing ideas to a network of plausible formables covering the entire map was another clue. I respect the designers' freedom as authors, but I don't like where this is going.

Not an answer. I bought the game and the DLCs, all of them working perfectly; having to buy a new pc to continue playing I game I payed for? Really?

Yup.

I am utterly amazed at the amount of rage I am seeing. =o Usually, the forums are filled with well articulated differences of opinion, but today, it's full of sheer rage and disgust. Is it because it's India? I mean, what is this? They are expanding the scope of the game, what's so bad about that?

They said they would increase the depths rather than expanding the scope. And there are many things in the core game that are underdeveloped or bugged or whatever and need attention.

We also need China/Khitan to put pressure to the Mongol. Cann't wait for a Far East map extension.

China actually fell to the Mongols. Even as a separate realm, the Mongol China would probably need to be an ally. It held nominal suzerainty over the Ilkhanate.

People are concerned how will this affect their game performance. Also, it is usually the case that after new expansion comes, the game requires several patches to fix the bugs and balance the gameplay. And, considering how this expansion will be massive in size, it is probable that it will affect the game a lot. I really hope not.

Yeah. A whole new range of stuff to balance and fix, presumably without too much solid testing. The attention does belong back in Europe.

India is a large place, with many unique features that distinct her from Europe. It's not a small task to make it at least a bit historical. So, that's another concern.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine India with more depth than the Zoroastrians or whatever.

Oh come on, this is going to fuck up all the mods and add zero depth. All the Pagans except the Norse have exactly zero flavour, 'Rus and Byzantium are completely ahistorical, the Crusades are still idiotic, and we're getting India?

I wouldn't use the same words, but I agree with the assessment.

Holy crap! What's with all the hate? I thought the PI fanbase was more mature than this. Am I the only one who is looking forward to this? I've been expecting an Indian DLC for a while now seeing as the internal factions and politics mirror that of Europe pretty well.

You're right, after all, only your opinion is valid.

Crusades are improved with every patch. Byzantium had a DLC so it should be patch things too. And Rus? The devs already said it's unlikely that they would add the Rota system, because it's hart to implement. And other pagans without flavour?`Maybe because we didn't know that much about them? What want you to add that is worth a own DLC?

When you say the Crusades are improved with every patch, you mean a bug related to the Crusades gets fixed, or weights or tweaked, or, as last patch, dynamic triggers are added. That is an improvement, but it doesn't solve the issue I'm talking about: the Crusades being ahistorical nonsense.

And I need to know more about pagans for them to have flavour? Wht kind of weak justification is that? Most pagan groups just get one feast decision each, one! Which is basically just the normal feast event rewritten a bit, and some modifiers thrown in. There is functionally no difference between playing a Slav or a Romuva.

Finally, you can bet this map extension will take so much resources that nothing will get added depth.

You're right, after all, only your opinion is valid.

Or yours...? We didn't the people wait for the official announcement with all the informations? They complaon about it, before they know what exactly will change/added.

When you say the Crusades are improved with every patch, you mean a bug related to the Crusades gets fixed, or weights or tweaked, or, as last patch, dynamic triggers are added. That is an improvement, but it doesn't solve the issue I'm talking about: the Crusades being ahistorical nonsense.

No. Please play the first version of CK. Or the demo. And look at the crusades there. They complettly change the whole crusade system more than one time since the release.

And I need to know more about pagans for them to have flavour? Wht kind of weak justification is that? Most pagan groups just get one feast decision each, one! Which is basically just the normal feast event rewritten a bit, and some modifiers thrown in. There is functionally no difference between playing a Slav or a Romuva.

I don't say they shouldn't add flacour too them. But not as a own DLC. You didn't answer me question... What should be added to Romuva or Slavic paganism? What should they add as features that would be worth a own DLC?

Does being mature means that we have to agree on everything?