Paradox Short Story Contest 2014 - Rewrite History!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Am I allowed to publish the story elsewhere before submitting it, or does it have to remain private until the winners have been decided? I understand that I have to write the story specifically for the contest, as opposed to just taking an old one, which I assure you is not what I was planning on doing.

Last edited:
How 'pivotal' is pivotal? As a medievalist I can think of a couple dozen 'pivotal' moments in history that early modern history enthusiasts would find obscure. I suppose if I can justify it in the narrative..?

How 'pivotal' is pivotal? As a medievalist I can think of a couple dozen 'pivotal' moments in history that early modern history enthusiasts would find obscure. I suppose if I can justify it in the narrative..?

I think the phrase he was looking for was "point of divergence", there needs to be a point where history diverts from reality and before that it conforms. If you want your pivotal moment to be an obscure younger brother of an obscure king decides to take a different path to a location, sure go ahead, so long as it causes something to happen.

Am I allowed to publish the story elsewhere before submitting it, or does it have to remain private until the winners have been decided? I understand that I have to write the story specifically for the contest, as opposed to just taking an old one, which I assure you is not what I was planning on doing.

If by publish you mean putting it up on your blog or something similar, that could be ok. However, if you sell publication rights for the story to another publisher, it can't be in the race of course - since we will publish the winners in the anthology.

Last edited:
I think the phrase he was looking for was "point of divergence", there needs to be a point where history diverts from reality and before that it conforms. If you want your pivotal moment to be an obscure younger brother of an obscure king decides to take a different path to a location, sure go ahead, so long as it causes something to happen.

Exactly - the event itself can be obscure, as long as the consequences are interesting. :)

If by publish you mean putting it up on your blog or something similar, that could be ok. However, if you sell publication rights for the story to another publisher, it can't be in the race of course - since we will publish the winners in the anthology.

I meant the former. I know that in some cases where contests are judged rather than voted on (as in this case) the arrangers tend to be very adamant about no entry being publicly readable until they've decided on winners, and so I wanted to clear up whether that was the case here.

OH! In that case, here goes my entry.. Would love to get inputs from others. The contest is one thing but as a general writing exhibit, I would love to make improvements. So guys, please take a look into my work and provide feedback.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=300821

I wish this included CK2 because then I would have done a story loosely based on my late AAR "A Saga Without Heroes" in which the Norwegians conquered England instead of the Normans...

However, although I haven't played EU4, I have a very nice idea for a story for this competition. Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

Would it be allowed to include a simple monochrome map as part of one's entry?

You can send one if you like, but the story has to work without it and we won't include it in our evaluation of the story. We won't include maps in the anthology.

This looks like a little bit of fun ; I think I'll try a little submission this month . I prefer the small writing size ; it helps to keep things rather tight and dense . I almost wish we could read all the entries after a while whether they won or not .

Thanks for the contest, will have to give it a crack and see what pours out.

I am wondering, is sci-fi allowed a bit? (IE time travel), like say someone going back in time to that historical moment and creating a divergent path or causing a part of history to go the wrong way?