• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what is your end goal with Spain? Just to keep trimming it or to eventually vassal/annex it?

Also I am assuming that GB and France are too embroiled in war to be a worry to your colonial domination?

More Gold!

Carracks and Caravels

In March 1523, Portugal reached the naval level of 9. Meaning new, more advanced carracks and caravels could now be built. An impressive ship, huge for her time, with adequate speed and armour and armed to the teeth with cannons. These floating fortresses remained the heart of Portuguese navy for more then 50 years and whenever they appeared on horizon, hearts of the opposition sunk. Well, so did their fleets.

carrack.jpg

New Portuguese carrack

Same appeared to caravels. New ship design replaced barques. Fast, light and sufficiently well armed, they were enough to protect Portuguese ever-expanding trade empire from pirates, hostile nations and ensure, with cannons if needed, that the trade flows the right way. Both of these ships were crucial in establishing the Portuguese dominance in all over the globe.

portugal124.jpg

New ships!

In 1524, João advanced Portuguese offensive ideas a bit, now granting Portugal additional force limits. Meaning the armies of the small nation could soon compare to the biggest armies the enemies can offer. Of course, in Portuguese case, it still means that quite a bit of their forces must remain away from Europe, garrisoning Portuguese settlements in India or America or Africa, but this works well in gaining upper hand in Europe too.

portugal125.jpg

New military idea and an overview of Portuguese ideas

Gold? Gold!

In February 1525, 13 000 Portuguese troops were once again ready in Mesoamerica. 6 000 in one and 7000 other newly conquered Aztec province, they marched soon into the Aztec territory. João had decided it was high time for Portugal to expand their holdings in the West, and who else but Aztecs were there.

Is there anything to write about the war? Well, Aztecs did try to put up some meager resistance, but their walls were not built to withstand Portuguese cannon fire. Their spearmen were brave, but obsidian spears were not enough to penetrate Portuguese armour and their leather armour was not enough to stop the Portuguese bullets.

One by one, Aztec provinces fell. It usually took Portugal about 100 days to force the entire province to surrender and Aztec armies kept their distance, so the sieges continued unopposed.

The biggest battle took place in July 1526, when Portuguese army intercepted Aztec army besieging Tohancapan, one of the Aztec provinces conquered in previous wars. Now, they had fortifications built, Portuguese style, so the defenders felt quite safe inside and the Aztecs had no clue how to conquer them. Then, Portuguese relief force attacked, killed off half of the enemies and forced the other half to flee.

Jal-ixco.jpg

The battle according to Aztecs

The battle was pretty one-sided. It took a few volleys to get the Aztecs running, some cannon shots to speed up the running and then, the cavalry. No horses in America- Aztecs were still not used to the beasts and when heavily armed and armoured Portuguese soldiers charged them, with heavy gallops, Aztecs still thought that they were fighting some four-legged beasts with two heads. It was easy.

portugal129.jpg

... and the battle according to Portuguese

That was enough for Aztecs. They have up in August 1526, giving Portuguese three provinces, including first Portuguese province facing the Pacific Ocean, Zapotec. Also, João II gained the highest loot Portugal had ever achieved- nearly 2500 gold, all of Aztec treasures.

portugal127.jpg

New Conquests to the Aztec nation

Indian Trade Company

From Aztec treasury, João spent 1000 gold to build an embassy in Porto. A year later and a lot poorer, Portugal gained another diplomat, making the total number to three. And they were needed too- the growing nation needed to fabricate claims, have good relations with France and England, make friendly relations to other nations and all that.

In July 1528, Portugal reached level 10 of diplomatic ideas. Meaning better trade range, better efficiency and better transport ship, but most importantly, it was now enough to form Indian Trade Company. Basically, meaning another merchant and some extra cash for Portugal, not to mention small increase in trade power.

portugal126.jpg

Foundation of the Indian Trade Company

The new merchant gained did not travel to Indias. Though Aden really needed Portuguese traders, João thought to wait with that until he gains another merchant from trade ideas. For Portugal had steadily gained colonies in Caribbean and the trade flowing from there would need to be channeled- to give Portugal a quick and easy fix of money. Without competition, the trade from New World was now being steered to Seville.

portugal128.jpg

Sevilla benefitted greatly from the new influx of goods

Ahh, the fun of playing as Portugal- no monetary troubles, for you can always visit a native bank. It's not like they do anything with money anyways.
And for merchant- i thought sending one to Caribbean is something that gives me money here and now, while Aden would require some fleets to be set up and all that. I've not forgotten Indian route though- the next merchant goes to Aden.

Nikolai - it's easy actually. Try to have your armies as consolidated as possible, defeat the enemy armies and then keep a numerous enough army to kill off the fresh enemy armies. Of course, it is only possible if you are a bit under strength. But Portugal is no underdog anymore. Well, and i got lucky the Spanish did not manage to totally destroy my armies.

tnick0225 - thanks for noticing! Guess i'm still stuck in 15th century!

DensleyBlair - coastal areas first! ;) And ouch, that is one hell of the Spanish Empire you have there. Well, at least you beat le blue blob!

Chief Ragusa - Actually not. Spain has holdings in Brazil and Caribbean- both are forwarded to Seville anyways. Doesn't matter who owns the provinces, the trade flows to Seville- i've seen to that. To maximise the profit i make from there, i'll need as many provinces as possible in the Seville area- and that is what i'm doing at the moment. As for Franch areas- i don't mind if le blob enters Iberian peninsula. Weaker Spain outweighs strong France. Well, at least for now.

BBBD316 - To he honest, i have not planned that far ahead. I try to kick them away from Seville area, then perhaps liberate provinces in the Genoese area and take some provinces in the New World, but i really have no final idea what i'll do with the nation. One thing would be to kick Spain out of the Europe and force them to settle capital in the new world- but that's an idea, not the plan.

The Aztec have been cleft in twain, and ripe for future conquest. Do you have any specific goals colony-wise now that you have a solid base in the New World?

Visiting the native bank is always a good idea. You can always be safe in the knowledge that any monetary problems will be gone in five years. ;)

As for my victory over le blob – I'm ruing the day, really. France has been reached by an unstoppable behemothal Spain, which really annoys me... I'm was tempted to spawn some rebels via the console, but most of France is now Castillian, so I'm not sure I could get away with it...

Last edited:
Kicking Spain in their Royal Buttocks

Starting the War

It was in August 1528 when King João II decided it was a good time for a war once again. Spain was still the dominant power in Iberian peninsula, but João had decided to reduce that power just a bit more. To make the matter even better- Portugal had a new general, Marco Machado. A true military genius and one of the best leaders in the entire world. Especially good at making the armies move as fast as possible.

portugal130.jpg

New military commander- and overall Portuguese military strength

Spain had their traditional allies: Burgundy, Austria and Milan. Plus of course, Aragon. Only real threat was Aragon, rest were separated by France or by sea. Spain still has 7 provinces in the Seville trade node, including their capital, Madrid. Portugal had taken 5 of the provinces: of course, Andalucia, the richest and most important one. Besides that, Portugal also controls Cadiz, Gibraltar, Granada and Cordoba. The goal- take some of these provinces as well.

War was declared on 13th August 1528, with a goal to conquer Almeria. After the war was declared, Portuguese fleet attacked Spanish trade fleet in Gibraltar and sunk all four ships the enemy had. As usual, a good start. Meanwhile, small siege army was sent to Almeria while the main Portuguese force stayed in Granada, the nearby province. Portuguese fleet also sailed to Gulf of Almeria to blockade the province.

From Almeria to Cantabria

In the beginning of September, 3000 soldiers sent to siege Almeria were attacked by 17 000 Spanish soldiers. Of course, the Portuguese main army, led by Marco Machado himself, marched to aid them and by the end of September, the Spanish were on the run. First battle of the war had been won by Portuguese and as Spanish fled, Portuguese went hot on pursuit.

800px-Battle_of_Pavia.jpg

Battle of Ameria

Meanwhile another Spanish army of 11 000 soldiers had taken the siege of Porto. Marco Machado shrugged at the news and said that the city is well-defended to wait for the rescue and continued the pursuit of the enemy. In October, then Portuguese forces reached Madrid. The Spanish were still on the run, but they met Aragonese troops, 5000 soldiers strong. In the following battle, Portuguese kicked Aragon and forced them to flee and continued the pursuit.

Finally, at the end of November 1528, Portuguese catched up with Spanish in Cantabria, a province bordering Bay of Biscay. Like a storm, Portuguese assaulted the exhausted Spanish. It was a really one-sided battle, for the walk through the all of Spain had exhausted the enemy. Marco Machado completely annihilated the enemy. Army of 14 000 Spanish were completely destroyed- and only 250 Portuguese died in that battle. With that, backbone of Spain was broken.

portugal137.jpg

It begun in Almeria- Spanish broken

War in the Caribbean

Meanwhile, as Spanish and Portuguese were fighting in Old World, a small army of 2000 Portuguese soldiers, with 3 cogs and 4 barques was causing a havoc on their own. In January 1529, Portuguese soldiers landed in Spanish colony of Antigua, in the Windward Islands. Poor undefended colony was totally unprepared for the invasion. Imagine the surprise of the 500 Spanish settlers who came looking for better life in the New World. Suddenly, Portuguese ships entered the harbour, with barques aiming their cannons at the houses and soldiers running aboard from the ships. Soon, the inhabitants were gathered, with only few left behind dead. Under threat of guns and swords, the Spanish surrendered the colony and promised to be proper subjects of King João II.

cienfuegos-city-jagua-fortress-spanish-colony.jpg

Peaceful Spanish Colony of Antigua

After that, the Portuguese troops went to siege Dominica Islands. The colonial city was surprisingly well defended, but naval blockade and starvation and 2000 Portuguese outside their walls forced the enemy to surrender... after 500 days. Finally, in 1531, Spain had founded another colony in St. Martin- yet another island from Windward Isles. Newly founded colony, just about 150 inhabitants. After taking Dominica, Portuguese landed there and seized the poor colony.

portugal133.jpg

Portuguese Caribbean... well, almost

War in Iberia Continues and Ends

Another Spanish army that was sieging Porto was on full retreat- going back to Spanish territories to reinforce. In January 1529, Portuguese intercepted them in Salamanca and defeated them in battle. In March, the fleeing Spanish were intercepted in Gascogne and destroyed to the last man. In this battle, Marco Machado managed to march Portuguese troops ahead of them to the province and forced fleeing and exhausted Spanish for a last desperate battle. Truly, a military genius. Meanwhile, Aragonese forces managed to siege and capture Cordoba, but were also promptly defeated.

portugal136.jpg

Second Spanish army destroyed in Gascogne

In September 1529, final large battle of the war took place in Aragon, where Portuguese destroyed Spanish army of 11 000 infantryman. After that, the Spanish were defeated. Of course, the war still lasted, with siegies and small battles, but the Spanish had lost their fill to fight.

portugal135.jpg

Last proper battle of the war

Main army still continued their sweep of Spanish lands, hitting gathering armies and small Portuguese forces sieged enemy holdings all over the land. Almeria fell in June 1530, after 660 days of siege. Murcia followed in December 1530, after 510 days of siege. Madrid fell in May 1531, after 576 days of siege and Toledo in May 1531, after 575 days of siege. It was enough to break the Spanish.

In June 1531, Spain surrendered, ceding Almeria and Murcia, giving up claims on conquered provinces and paying a bit over 300 ducats. In addition, Portugal took two colonies in the Caribbean. Thus far, this has been the most successful war against Spain. Portugal was well on her way of becoming the dominant power in the Iberian.

portugal132.jpg

Spaniards taking another hit

Also, during that time, Portuguese advanced their military and administrative techs to level 11. Meaning a bit stronger army and a bit stronger state.

portugal134.jpg

Portugal advancing technologically

Tip of Africa

Perhaps the most important thing João II did at the three years of war with Spain had nothing to do with the war at all. Majerteen, the province right at the eastern tip of Africa and key to Portugal gaining foothold- and eventually controlling- Aden. In 1530, Portuguese attacked the natives in the province and made it absolutely clear that Portuguese should not be disturbed. About the same time, colonists begun their travel from Lisboa. In July 1531, a month after the war was over, they finally arrived. Portugal now has a province in Aden area. And Yemen and Oman were right across the Gulf of Aden...

portugal131.jpg

Portuguese tip of Africa

Last edited:
Ahh, that's what i'd like to call a clean war. Following very simple pattern- destroy the enemy armies, then siege and keep an army big enough to hit the small enemy troops before they could hit gather to their full strength. Works like a charm, though sometimes the destroy the armies part can be a problem.
As for Spanish- the bastards took defensive as their first military idea. Meaning that... well, the sieges are horrible-horrible long. A real pain in the buttocks to siege, though it only drags the war and doesn't change the outcome.

DensleyBlair - for colonies- i try to get as much out of Caribbean as possible and after that- well, one colonist goes to take America while another looks more eastwards- Spice Islands and Pacific need conquering and colonizing too.
And for your Spain- try to build a coalition? With enough power to win the war and force them to release some of the French countries? At least the war will be epic!

just caught up. amazing aar! any tips on trade? Im completely stumped by it. (playing as france)

I say steady on old chap. Leave Spain something of Spain. It's not supposed to be made to look quite so easy to beat them. I'd like to see you force release Castile. That would be amusing.
You're limbering up for the attack on the Yemeni and Omani provinces The map shows a severe reluctance on the part of the gascons to be French. English, Spanish, anything it seems but French.

I say steady on old chap. Leave Spain something of Spain. It's not supposed to be made to look quite so easy to beat them. I'd like to see you force release Castile. That would be amusing.
You're limbering up for the attack on the Yemeni and Omani provinces The map shows a severe reluctance on the part of the gascons to be French. English, Spanish, anything it seems but French.

My suggestion would be to forcibly release what you can, until you can force vassalize Spain. Then annex it! There can be only one globe-spanning catholic Iberian empire!

tnick0225 - thanks! I'm feeling mighty proud myself as well!

ve3609 - Welcome aboard! As for trade tips: depends how much you want to invest on trade. There are some options:
1. Easiest- keep the two merchants you have, use huge stacks of light ships in Seville and Bordeaux and steal Portuguese/Spanish trade from Seville. Enough to keep some profits coming in, but it depends on the Iberian nations to bring cash in
2. Medium- use an expansion idea that gives you additional merchant. Colonize either North America or Caribbean and steer your trade to Bordeaux from there.
3. Most annoying (and most profitable)- Requires trade and East India Company (total 4 merchants) and a bit of New World and Africa colonization/conquest. Basically, you need merchants in Ceylon -> Aden -> Ivory Coast -> Caribbean -> Chesapeake -> Bordeaux route. You can skip Chesapeake if you want to. Most profitable as well. Especially if you manage to control Spice Islands as well. But it is much more harder as France- no free CB-s along the route. In the end, if you pull it off, your coffers are full of money and you can call yourself a proud owner of French India though. :)

Chief Ragusa - don't worry, i'm not going to go all-out on Spain. And believe me, it wasn't easy- though it is much more easier now. Castile would be a good idea- i'll keep that in mind. And yes, Yemen and Oman are targets soon to be.

Deaghaidh - i'm thinking of Spain more like a good meal. You take a bite, enjoy,feel the taste, then slowly swallow, savoring the fine taste. You don't gobble it in like burger and fries. Occasionally a province or two, until by the end of the game, Spain is still there, but barely alive and weeping for their former glory...

Three Wars and a Funeral

Revenge is a Dish Best Served 40 Years Later

It was in 1489 when Alvaro Teixeira, a Portuguese explorer, reached India. The local reception was lukewarm at best. Raja of Venad, owner of Kotchin, did not allow Portuguese access to their ports and refused trade. Now, in October 1531, it was time for revenge. Venad, province right next to Kotchin, was about to conquered. By that time, Venad was already high on decline. They were down to one province, they had lost Kotchin to Malabar (who lost it to Portuguese and was conquered by Vinayagar soon after) and they had no armies whatsoever. Their only ally Bastar was in no condition to help them. Basically, Portuguese marched in, bombarded the city for 285 days and then, Venad gave up. Portugal now controls two provinces in India. In August 1532, the war was over.

portugal146.jpg

Conquest of Venad was... well, effortless

Visit to Bank and Other Things

Meanwhile, England (well, Great Britain for a few years now) declared war on France, hoping to reclaim some of their lost lands. Portuguese joined in on the French side. Meanwhile, Portuguese gathered up in Africa and declared the war on Mali. War was declared on September 1533. This was as uneventful as the conquest of Venad. Malinese held their distance, let Portuguese siege what they wanted and in the end, coughed up 2300 gold in June 1535.

portugal144.jpg

Now that is a nice bucket load of cash

Meanwhile, Portugal had reached maximum of offensive ideas, meaning that if needed, Portuguese armies can march really fast. This ability was really useful when pursuing fleeing enemies- meaning Portuguese would always be there, waiting for the enemy. Also, Portuguese traders became more shrewd, meaning more income from the trade and more power while steering trade.

portugal138.jpg

Go Portugal! Especially, go forced march!

It was not all fun and games for Portugal though. English fleet sailed to Lusitanian sea. 7 heavy ships, 13 lights and 5 cogs. In December 1534, they engaged Portuguese trade fleet. Soon, the battle was joined by Portuguese heavy fleet, but in the following battle, the Portuguese were in really disadvantageous position. Portugal lost five ships there and English fleet kept sailing south- until they reached Gold Coast. Then, they turned back, avoiding Portuguese lands.

portugal145.jpg

The most excitement during Malinese war

Last Trade Center of Seville

Oran, a province deep inside Algiers territory, had been an important trade center for quite some time. Their harbours gave good protection to the ships and the location was a perfect spot for meeting of the merchants from different cultures. Overall, it was one of the important nodes of Seville- and the last one not under Portuguese control.

Conquest of Spanish southern provinces had given Portugal a chance to fabricate a claim on Oran. By June 1536, King João II had sent most of his troops across Gibraltar. 24 000 Portuguese soldiers were now in borders of Algiers, waiting for orders of the King to start the war.

Algiers was allied with Milan and Tripoli, neither able to give Portugal much of the trouble. So, confident in victory, João II declared war on July 1536. Portuguese armies marched on- to Melilla and Tlemcen. Meanwhile, Algiers troops avoided them and marched to Fez, in Portuguese territory, to siege the province. Too afraid to directly face the Portuguese, they hoped to cut of supply of Portuguese troops and thus, make them retreat. Of course, Portuguese would not have any of it, marched their main army to Fez and attacked Algiers. In October, Marco Machado sent the Algerians flying home.

In January 1537, Portuguese main force attacked Algiers at Bejaia and once again, won the battle. Meanwhile, sieges of both Melilla and Tlemcen had been successful. Now, Oran was taken under siege.

Meanwhile, in the Lusitanian Sea, English came again. Trying to land some troops to Portugal- a move that would have been disastrous, for all Portuguese troops were in North Africa. Portuguese fleet was up to their standards this time though. They moved in to attack and a force of 14 carracks and 17 caravels took on the English force. In the following battle, taking space in December 1536, Portuguese proved their supremacy in the seas.

portugal143.jpg

Here comes the revenge

Two English ships were captured while the rest of the fleet fled, lumbering back to England. Portuguese did not give pursuit, for they had their own wounds to lick. But most importantly, one of the ships captured was the newest ship on the English fleet, pride of the English navy- and now, a prize for a Portuguese navy.

AnthonyRoll-2_Mary_Rose.jpg

Sovreign, flagship of the British Fleet

In July 1537, Milanese fleet dared to show their noses in the Gibraltar. Of course, that should not happen. Specially when Algiers itself had been smart enough to keep their fleet right in the harbour. Of course, Milanese could not stay there for long. Their fleet of caravels and galleys was attacked by Portuguese heavy fleet. And most of them were sunk before Milanese could even think of fleeing. The remaining few fled to Oran. Not a smart thing to do- considering the city was under siege by Portuguese.

In September 1537, Oran fell. Meaning not had only Portuguese achieved their goal, but Milanese fleet was forced out of the harbour- right to the hands of waiting Portuguese navy. The sad remnants of Milanese fleet were sunk that day. The war was almost over.

By November 1537, two things had happened. 15 000 Fezian patriots had crossed the border of Morocco, sieged Fez and took the province. Between them and the Portuguese were 16 000 Algiers soldiers in Tlemcen. Not a good place to be- Portuguese marched on, kicked the Algiers again and then took on the Fezian rebels.

portugal142.jpg

Well, the situation looks a bit worse then it actually is

The war still lasted for half a year, with some minor battles still fought. In May 1539, the war was over, Algiers ceding Oran. Last of the Seville trade centers was now safely under Portuguese rule. And the money was flowing in even more. Soon, Portugal signed white peace with England.

portugal139.jpg

New lands, trade in Seville and the outrageous coring costs

Trade from India

Majerteen, the Portuguese colony in Tip of Africa, became self-sustaining in October 1537. In August 1583, Portuguese adopted the idea of Free Trade, meaning additional merchant. Who was sent to Gulf of Aden, with a small fleet of 6 caravels. Soon, Portuguese traders were diverting most of the trade in Aden to south, and from there, across Cape of Good Hope to Portugal. Of course, Swahili traders were also active in that part, but most of the money kept flowing from Zanzibar onwards. Overall incoming trade to Sevilla- 5 from Caribbean, 12 from India and 3 from Genua. Over half of the Portuguese income now comes from trade.

portugal141.jpg

Quite a nice piece of cash flows down towards Zanzibar

Death of the King

In the beginning of the year 1539, King João II was already 71 years old. Already an old man when he took the throne in 1521, he had managed to survive longer then anybody thought possible and ruled for 18 years, guiding Portugal to new heights. But in summer of 1539, the health of the King was finally acting up. He died in June 1539. His half-brother, also named João, took the throne as King João III. He was a superb ruler, but well... he was 68 years old when he came to power. Teodosio, his heir and third brother of Filipe, was 57. It seemed like Portugal would be destined to be ruled by old men....

portugal140.jpg

New King and new Heir

King João II is dead, long live the King João III. And what a good king he is- i only wish the age would be 18, not 68.
Anyways, i now have a full chain from India to Sevilla. Merchants are placed in Ceylon, Aden, Ivory Coast and Sevilla herself. I control Zanzibar and Congo, have of course full power in the Cape and most in Mauretania. The further goals are: improve Portuguese standing in Aden and make first steps towards Malacca and Bengal.

Next time- though João II didn't live that long, i think he deserves a life and death. And that gives me a good chance to show a bit more of what is happening in the world.

Oh, and one tiny nagging thing. I'm still on 1.1something until 1607. Couldn't stop playing, though i'll try something else now while i catch up.

I got that you were on 1.1 when I saw the immense gold tributes you asked from Mali.:p Don't try that in 1.2.;)

This is a really good AAR, very well written. Still amazed you beat Spain back at the start of Joao II's rule. Will France ever take Gascogne and Labourd from Spain?

Are you going to go after the Inca at some point?

Nice going! I tried Portugal as my first EUIV game but didn't do as well, especially once I tried to fight other Europeans. I appreciate the explanations you've given along the way too - very useful to a noob like me.

Life and Death of King João II

João II was an old man when he came to power. When his father, Filipe I, died back in 1521, he was already 53 years old. So, no-one suspected he will have a long reign. But he surprised everyone, ruling for total 18 years, until he died at the age of 71 in 1539. He was a busy King and during his reign, Portugal further cemented their claim for the world power.

Spanish Wars

One thing João II inherited from Filipe was war with Spain. A war that did not start well, but when João II came to power, he turned the tides. Fought from 1520-1522, despite the initial success of the Spanish, Portuguese managed to turn the war around and gained Granada and Cordoba in the process.

This was not the only war with Spain though. From 1528-1530, João II fought yet another war with Spain. This time, the scales were definitely in Portuguese favor. Spanish forces were defeated in initial battles, Spanish manpower drained and Portugal soon became an unopposed ruler of the Iberian Peninsula. With that war, Spain lost Murcia and Almeria in the Iberian- but that is not all. A small war with also being fought in the Caribbean, with Portugal gaining two Spanish colonies in the Windward Isles- Antigua and St. Martin were captured by Portuguese.

portugal152.jpg

Europe and the "Portuguese Banana"- Portugals holdings in the coastal regions of Iberian peninsula

Expansion into the New World

João II also fought the Aztecs. From 1525-1526, Portuguese forces fought the enemy and as expected, won an easy victory. Three provinces, including one facing the Pacific Ocean and total of 2500 gold. An impressive loot, no matter how you look into it.

Besides that, Portuguese now focused their colonization efforts on Windward Isles. Besides the two captured from Spanish, Portugal also expanded into St. Kitts and Guadaloupe. It meant that most of the rich islands were settled, and settled by Portuguese. Caribbean was slowly becoming a Portuguese pond.

portugal150.jpg

New World- Caribbean is becoming Portuguese

Gaining Supremacy in Seville

Seville, the Portuguese home trade node- a richest centre of trade in the world (though just by a bit, Lubeck is really close second) is the major source of income for Portugal. During the end of reign of João II, Portugal was gaining over 50% of their income from trade in Sevilla. So, it is obvious that Portugal is really keen in controlling the node. Of course, that is what the wars with Spain were all about as well- but that was not all.

The Berber nations in North Africa were also part of the Seville node- and though Portugal had made gains in there, Oran, last of the important North African centres of trade was still in owned by Algiers. Well, not for long- in a war fought in 1537-1539, João II conquered Oran and claimed the last important trade center in Seville area not owned by Portugal to Portugal.

portugal147.jpg

Seville, the heart of Portuguese economy

Indian Trade Route

Perhaps the most important thing João II did during his time was to colonize Tip of Africa- the province of Majerteen. That gave Portugal an access to the most vital chokepoint in trade flowing from India, the Gulf of Aden. From there, it was decided that if trade flows to south, across the Cape of Good Hope, or across the Red Sea to Alexandria or even to Basra. In 1531, colonists from Portugal arrived to the province and by the time João II died, the colony was converted to full-time city. Also, João II send a small fleet of caravels and a merchant to that node, ensuring that Portugal will keep on steering trade in the direction they want to.

In addition to that, João II expanded Portuguese holdings in India. In a war fought in 1531-1532, he conquered Venad, a small nation in the southern tip of India. Portugal now has two provinces in the rich land and trade from Ceylon is well on their way to be controlled by Portugal.

portugal149.jpg

The situation in India and Middle East

The Rule of João II

Overall, King João II followed the suit of previous Portuguese rulers. Not concentrating in Europe, but in the lands overseas (albeit kicking Spain twice). He sent merchants to Caribbean and Aden. With the latter, he completed trade chain from India to Seville. He gained 16 provinces during his reign, and only 4 of them in Europe.

During his time, Portugal became the largest nation in the world, though very overextended largest nation in the world. Still, total 67 provinces- not bad for a small Iberian nation.

portugal148.jpg

We are the largest!

eu4_map_POR_1540_01_09_2.jpg

Finally, the map of the world. Portuguese green is quite showing already

Well, that is that with João II. Long live João III!

And Portugal is the largest nation in the world- quite a feat. And there is so much room and need to expand!

Nikolai - i know, the inflation costs would make me crazy. Glad to have done it before 1.2- the native gold gives Portugal quite a good head start!

metalinvader665 - Hey, glad you liked it! And well, the basic rule of fighting the bigger enemy- find good ally and stab the enemy in the back when he is weakest! As for Labourd and Gascoigne- the answer is yes and no. I'm not spoiling anymore! :p And Incas will get what is coming to them.

klink - glad i could be of help! And stay clear of Europe until you are strong enough- or when you get a too good chance to pass!

Establishing Control in Aden

Privateers

Ahhh, the Gulf of Aden. Gateway between East and West. One of the key trade nodes in the world. Not only for deciding if a trade from India flows across Africa or to Mediterranean- or to put it more simply, do Muslims or Christians control the Indian trade. In the long run, situation in Aden makes the Chinese merchants ask questions like “Why should i hire 1000 camels and enough crew to tend them and guard them and risk the perils of the Silk Road when i can just sell the stuff to these nice Portuguese who will load the cargo to their carrack and sail it to the barbaric western lands with much less effort?”.

Basically, all of Portuguese Asian trade depends on Aden. Rest of the trade nodes are simply straightforward, but Aden is something you have to fight for. João III, the new King, understood it well. It was in July 1539, a little less then a month after he came to power, when he signed an edict, releasing Portuguese privateers to Red Sea. With that, Portugal managed to disrupt the Muslim trade and diverted a bit more towards Zanzibar.

Majerteen, the Portuguese holding in tip of Africa, became the hotspot for piracy in Indian waters. No Muslim trader could feel safe while sailing their goods and Portuguese traders profited. Overall, the Portuguese crown profited from the privateering in Aden.

portugal153.jpg

Privateers in Gulf of Aden

End of Kongo

By 1539, Kongo had only one province left. Ndongo, not a coastal province, but deep inland. Regrettably, the locals still thought to gain part of the trade. Basically meaning that Kongo was stopping the flow of trade from Cape to Ivory Coast, gaining small share of it to themselves.

So, in the end of 1539, 8000 Portuguese were sailing south, towards Cape of Good Hope. They took a small resting break in Luanda and with orders from João III, made a quick campaign against the remnants of the enemy. By March 1540, Ndongo had fallen after a quick siege and the nation wiped from the map.

portugal157.jpg

All of Kongo is now Portuguese

Meanwhile, Portuguese had advanced to military technology 12, meaning Tercio Infantry for Portugal. The mix of pikemen and musketeers meant Portugal now had an infantry almost impenetrable to cavalry and able to keep on continuous fire on the enemy.

portugal154.jpg

Yay for tercios!

Into Arabian Peninsula

In the 3rd January of the year 1541, everything was ready. João III gave the order and Portuguese ships opened fire on Omanese trade fleet in the Sea of Oman. Five carracks and 8 cogs opened fire on the enemy, but unfortunately managed only to force the enemy fleet back into harbour.

portugal155.jpg

The war starts

Portuguese invasion was met with no resistance. Ships landed, soldiers marched from their transports and by February, total 16 000 Portuguese had crossed the Gulf of Aden and were sieging two Omanese provinces- Hadhramaut and Mahra. It was the first time Portuguese soldiers entered the southern part of Arabian Peninsula, but definitely not the last.

portugal156.jpg

Invasion of Oman well underway

In March 1541, 9000 Omanese entered the province, looking for a fight. As a country with Arabic traditions, it was uncommon sight for Portuguese- 3000 infantry and 6000 cavalry. The Portuguese general was the mighty Marco Machado himself though and while the Portuguese were not used to such overwhelming amounts of cavalry, the Omanese for sure were not used to the Portuguese squares. Tercios with pike walls that horses just refuse to charge into and with musketmen giving constant fire to them- and horse is a big target. In the end, Omanese retreated back and Portuguese continued their siege unstopped.

Lagos46_kopie.jpg

First battle of Mahra

portugal158.jpg

... and the same battle in more gameplay terms

Mahra fell in August 1541 and Marco Machado lead his troops towards the next province, Dhofar. Meanwhile, Mahra was just the province where Omanese trade feel run tp from the battle and was now forced into the sea. In following battle, all five Omanese barques were sunk- meaning Portugal has now a bit less competition in Aden.

In March 1542, Dhofar fell. Portuguese forces marched towards Muscat, only to find out that Omanese had used the inlands to circle them. They were already passing by Dhofar and were almost in Mahra, from where they tried to march to Hadhramaut, to relieve a siege there. Marco Machado dropped the siege of Muscat, ordered his troops to begin forced march and caught the enemy in Mahra. In the second battle of Mahra, the Portuguese were once again victorious and as Omanese retreated to Dhofar, Portuguese attacked them once again. Again, the Portuguese won, wiping out Muslim infantry, but not cavalry. The enemy hurried inland, with Marco hot on their trail. Thus, the province of Nizwa was discovered for Portugal.

portugal159.jpg

Hunt into the unknown- Portuguese chasing the Omanese after defeating them twice

It was in August 1542 when Hadhramaut also fell. With that, backbone of Oman was cracked and the enemy was forced to give up both provinces. Though João III was still far from totally controlling the trade in Aden, the Portuguese presence there was growing. With these conquest and Majerteen, Portugal became the major player in Aden, though not enough to become dominant power there.

portugal160.jpg

Portuguese conquests and Gulf of Aden trade node

Well, this is not turning out to be one of the most popular AARs here, it seems... Oh well. *wipes tear*

Here, perhaps the wisest thing to do would be to kick Oman in the buttocks until i controlled all of the territory and then demanded Muscat as well, but i thought- ehh, to hell with it- i still have time. One day or the other, Muscat will be Portuguese.