• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Things are getting busy at the office with the upcoming release of Europa Universalis IV, but as has been said before, we're still very much committed to the continued support and further expansion of Crusader Kings II. With Doomdark currently Down Under, Johan asked me to put together a short dev diary highlighting some of the current stuff we've been working on.

Patch 1.11:
1.11 will be deployed next week, and the new patch will include a few features that should make dealing with plots a bit easier. After hatching a plot, you can now tell the game to automatically invite all plotters who are willing to join your scheme. No more having to browse through the Potential Plotters list and individually sending requests to every single character who wants to join!

Also, you can now set the game to always demand that characters end their plots as soon as they come to your attention. Another handy addition is that you can now see at a glance which potential plotters can be won over to your side if they are bribed.

Among the other things added is a new Siege Leader trait (finally), a favorite IP table for the multiplayer menu and some additional support for modders.

Crusader Kings II to Europa Universalis IV Converter:
Johan already posted a dev diary about the Converter last week in the Europa Universalis IV forum, and there is an interview with Groogy here that goes into some more detail. I don't have much to add except that we're pretty pleased with the result and it actually works better than we had anticipated when development began.

Customizer:
This is a smaller DLC on the scale of the Ruler Designer, but it's something that many have asked for. It will give players an easy way to customize several items in their games when they are already well underway.

You can have your character pay a visit to the barber, where their hairstyle or facial hair can be altered... within reason (no bearded women, sorry). Below you can see the new look I gave King Charles II the Not-So-Bald:

View attachment CKII_111_DD_The_Bald.jpg

You can rename any title held by you or your vassals:

View attachment CKII_111_DD_Northwest_Francia.jpg

Finally, if you feel the need to shake things up a bit, you can alter the name and shield of your dynasty:

View attachment CKII_111_DD_de_Poher.jpg

Hopefully this will tide you over for a while, until we're ready to tell you more about what the future will bring to Crusader Kings II. :)

Here are the highlights from the Crusader Kings II to Europa Universalis IV Converter livestream with Johan & Doomdark!
[video=youtube;FWqQgp1Vh9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWqQgp1Vh9U[/video]

You can find the full live-stream for the CK2 to EU4 converter here:
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/438261345

ps. And you can pre-order Europa Universalis IV here:
http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, actually it's much more complicated than that. The Queen retains her personal name of Windsor, whilst the Duke of Edinburgh retains his personal name of Mountbatten (after renouncing all titles he may have held under House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg) and an Order in Council makes it so all non-royal descendants of the two take name the name Mountbatten-Windsor, whilst royal descendants would take the name Windsor; however in practice all four of their children have taken the name Mountbatten-Windsor. In fact it is a curious situation that none of the Queen's direct descendants have the name Windsor, the only Windsors in the Royal Family are the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, and Princess Alexandra.

In practice they're actually using territorial designations (William and Harry use "Wales", Beatrice and Eugenie use "York") in most situations.

Besides making plot management easier we also added so fleets are easier to choose when heading out to battle. You can press ALT to select exclusively fleets now. Hopefully it should make your lives a bit easier :)

Thats great news! This was always annoying as heck, having to raise your fleets, sort them out and only then raise your levies.

F' Europa Universalis IV, I'm creating the Kingdom of SilvarianBuuinia and conquering Europe. Also how will this work in importing to EUIV?

[Edit] Canada in Europe, imagine the possibilities.

Last edited:
Patch 1.11:
1.11 will be deployed next week, and the new patch will include a few features that should make dealing with plots a bit easier. After hatching a plot, you can now tell the game to automatically invite all plotters who are willing to join your scheme. No more having to browse through the Potential Plotters list and individually sending requests to every single character who wants to join!

Also, you can now set the game to always demand that characters end their plots as soon as they come to your attention. Another handy addition is that you can now see at a glance which potential plotters can be won over to your side if they are bribed
YES! YES!
[video=youtube;P3ALwKeSEYs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs[/video]

This relieves a major headache!

Besides making plot management easier we also added so fleets are easier to choose when heading out to battle. You can press ALT to select exclusively fleets now. Hopefully it should make your lives a bit easier :)

Are you kidding? This makes my life MUCH easier! My biggest headaches in game are ending plots (yeah, plots against family are most important, but the number of times an important claimant or valuable vassal has been murdered because I missed their name on the list...) and dealing with fleets, so this is a huge improvement. ALL of the realms with large, irregular coastlines (ie all of them) just became a lot less frustrating to play!

Among the other things added is a new Siege Leader trait (finally), a favorite IP table for the multiplayer menu and some additional support for modders.

Additional support for modders, eh? Now I'm excited; this is always the best thing about a new patch!

This is everything i wanted take all of my money!!!!!!

Would it be possible that you also make it visible who would accept an invite to your court after being sent a gift? It's also complicated to browse for claimants and not be able to see who would join your court. For plot invites at least you can see the points on the plot screen. If at least this could be changed, making the relation points visible claimants pop up it would make it easier.

Sounds like a very nice add-on. I especially like the renaming and barber options.

Also, with respect to bugs, while I like the frequent patches that fix a lot of these bugs, there are some bugs that have been around for ages and would be trivial to fix, such as Volley Harass benefiting Horse Archers and hurting regular Archers instead of the other way around (involves switching the numbers in all of two lines of combat_tactics.txt)
What is this bug? When I look at the tactic files, Volley Harass is a Light Cavalry tactic (harass group), which requires some Horse Archers to trigger, and give bonuses to Light Cavalry and Horse Archers and penalties to Archers. How is that bugged? It's not like it's more likely to trigger when you have many Archers or anything.

Code:
volly_harass_tactic = {
	days = 18
	sprite = 4
	group = harass

trigger = {
		phase = skirmish 
		light_cavalry = 0.01
		archers = 0.01
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 3
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 8
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.7
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 12
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.6
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 16
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.5
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
	}

light_cavalry_offensive = 1.8
	horse_archers_offensive = 0.6
	archers_offensive = -1.8
	enemy = {
		group = swarm
		factor = 1
	}
}

Yes all of the tactics are more or less unbalanced, and the whole system heavily favor those silly pure retinue stacks, but Volley Harass definitely doesn't look buggy.

Are you kidding? This makes my life MUCH easier! My biggest headaches in game are ending plots (yeah, plots against family are most important, but the number of times an important claimant or valuable vassal has been murdered because I missed their name on the list...) and dealing with fleets, so this is a huge improvement. ALL of the realms with large, irregular coastlines (ie all of them) just became a lot less frustrating to play!
Just FYI so can you can already exclusively select fleets by selecting one single fleet and then shift-dragging all the other ones, this is not really a new feature.

What is this bug? When I look at the tactic files, Volley Harass is a Light Cavalry tactic (harass group), which requires some Horse Archers to trigger, and give bonuses to Light Cavalry and Horse Archers and penalties to Archers. How is that bugged? It's not like it's more likely to trigger when you have many Archers or anything.

Code:
volly_harass_tactic = {
	days = 18
	sprite = 4
	group = harass

trigger = {
		phase = skirmish 
		light_cavalry = 0.01
		archers = 0.01
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 3
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 8
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.7
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 12
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.6
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 16
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.5
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = horse_archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
	}

light_cavalry_offensive = 1.8
	horse_archers_offensive = 0.6
	archers_offensive = -1.8
	enemy = {
		group = swarm
		factor = 1
	}
}

Yes all of the tactics are more or less unbalanced, and the whole system heavily favor those silly pure retinue stacks, but Volley Harass definitely doesn't look buggy.
Read it again. It requires ARCHERS (and LC) to trigger, but buffs LC and HA (and has its chance to trigger boosted by HA instead of Archers), while hurting Archers. It seems like it's a bad copy-paste from Harass Swarm, which requires LC and HA and buffs both while hurting Archers (as it should). Also, note the name - Volley (Archers tactic) harass (LC tactic) - which indicates that it should require and benefit a combination of LC and Archers.

For it to be correct, it should look like this:
Code:
volly_harass_tactic = {
	days = 18
	sprite = 4
	group = harass

trigger = {
		phase = skirmish 
		light_cavalry = 0.01
		archers = 0.01
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 3
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 8
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.7
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 12
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.6
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.5
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 16
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_cavalry
				value = 0.5
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = archers
				value = 0.3
			}
		}
	}

light_cavalry_offensive = 2.4
	horse_archers_offensive = -1.8
	archers_offensive = 0.6
	enemy = {
		group = swarm
		factor = 1
	}
}
Also, it's misspelled as "volly_harass", when logically, it should be "volley_harass".

That's what im saying, if people like me wouldn't buy those DLC, small % of people who are not buying DLC will get small part of it.
Comfortable policy I would say, because now you can tell everyone how you are giving some free stuff, getting at same time a LOT of cash for pretty simple DLC. (As I said, modders are capable of creating more/better stuff with less people and for free)I'm not saying you're the most evil thing in games industry... but paradox is like every other corporation. Looking only for getting more and more $ while doing some great games.
And? How such game as Deus Ex could be expanded by some patches? I completed it 2 days ago and whoap, it's pretty much completed, great game almost without bugs with really nice gameplay. :)
Comapring FPS game to sandbox game... makes a lot of sense.

Honestly, you're full of crap. Paradox is not like every other corporation and is by far one of the better developer/publishers out there. Their games keep getting better because they're funded properly by DLC. Games cost an insane amount of money to make and develop and if you want to look at a crappy company look at UBIsoft and how they treated the Subsim crowd. The last 2 games never got fixed, the final one completely abandoned with tons of stuff not completed. Look at the horrible AI in the HoMM franchise.

I think Paradox has hit the perfect balance of releasing decent DLC to fund EXTENSIVE work on their current games. Honestly, for those whining... you just have no idea how close margins are on these games and how keeping people employed to work on them is so very difficult. That's part of the reason other great game companies like THQ went out of business.

I would just like the echo the plot events dynamic again. Being that inter kingdom politics was such a huge and juicy part of medieval europe I feel that diversifying the intrigue options/events that happen related to your vassals and courtiers would make the actual running of the kingdom much more dynamic than simply keeping your vassals happy by bribing them with money or fake titles. For example, the heir of a duchy has an affair and impregnates a noble with a claim on another duchy. That love child can then set off a chain (obviously a few years later) of cold warring (if you have medium crown authority) and scheming. I guess, alot would end in assassinations, but I'd like more explanations for the reasoning behind why things are happening. That might be totally whacky and not accomplishable though.
I'm not sure why this was directed at me. I have nothing wrong with plot dynamics and would actually agree with you. However if a mechanic tells me whether or not a bribe will work, that ruins half the fun of bribes.

I'm complaining that they are making plots and intrigue too simple...

Sounds like a nice patch and customizer sounds like a nice little DLC (can finally give all Byzzie Emperors proper manly beards :p). But remember for patch 1.12 allow rulers to take a new name upon ascending the throne ;)

Can't believe I've missed this. This is very nice! The only thing I wish you had added but didn't was the ability to mod a nation at start such as historic rulers religion and cultures and if they start as feudal or republic. Things I felt the Ruler Designer should have let us do. Otherwise, thank you Paradox!