• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as Brandenburg and noticed that there is no decision to form Prussia (unless I overlooked it). Why is that, as the real Prussia was formed by the duke of Brandenburg, and i know Prussia can be formed by the Teutonic Order? I'm playing D&T btw...
In D&T, unless Protestant has emerged, the decision won't show up.

Even then, if Teutonic Order manages to snatch it before you realize it, it'll stay hidden until Prussia has been eliminated, or is your junior partner.
Also true in the vanilla game (except that it won't show up unless Prussia doesn't exist; making it visible if they are your junior is a good ides).

Let me tell you abou my experiences with Italian states (on hard & with DT mod):

Milan: A bit of expanding, then Austia declares war on me. I fight them off, get a province of theirs. Then Austria declares war on me, I fight them off. Then Austria declares war on me. Then Austria declares war on me & is allied with France. I Ragequit.

Tuscany: Just chillin, a 30K stack of nationalist rebels wanders over from Milan, I'm Sienna now, game over

Genua: Tons of money, I take Sardinia. But then Milan is allied with France and Austria, Savoy is allied with France and Austria, I abandon that game

Tuscany in CKII: My incapable heir decides to revolt against the empire, gets roflstomped and imprisoned, my wife becomes the emperors lover and gives birth to three children while I'm in custody....

Naples: Pretty smooth sailing

Neat. Thanks for sharing with me. I will pick a few and let you know what works out.

Also true in the vanilla game (except that it won't show up unless Prussia doesn't exist; making it visible if they are your junior is a good ides).
Not only if it's visible if they're your junior, you can integrate Prussia as Brandenburg or saxon/pommeranian cultured nation too. Merging you and Prussia into another Prussia.

Ofc, they'd still have own the 3 required provinces for Prussia. It's really much easier than conquer and wait for core approach.
Sadly, you only get the centralization bonus for forming Prussia in D&T, not the BT bonus.

Here's one: Playing as Minamoto with, of course, the short-term goal of uniting Japan, I just got through fighting about 70k+ rebels (Minamotan Nobles, I believe) that were spawned mainly through events. I was about 11 over my infamy limit (people say it's okay as a daimyo, though), had 0 stability (also through an annoying series of unfortunate events), and about 20 Legitimacy due to a Regency Council ruling for my underage leader. The thing is, most of my provinces still had very low revolt risks, and again, these rebels came in the form of events, rather than the normal dialogue box that pops up when there is a rebellion...the text was something like, "The nobles of Yamato have grown tired of the Shogun's incessant warmongering, blah blah blah."

This text made me think it was due to my infamy limit, but being 11 over was a major improvement, as I started at about 20 over after annexing Taira, and many, many years passed with no rebels, then BAM. It started with like three of these events consecutively in about 6 months' time, then about the time I was taking out the first small stacks, three more events happened, and then over and over and over and over again (it was way more dramatic than this in the game). I had a stack of 18k that I was using to take care of this problem, as the way things were going, I didn't want to spend my manpower for more units (and I couldn't afford them financially, really, as I became more and more blockaded).

Four loans later and I was finally getting the upper hand on all of them, slowly taking back territories and eliminating rebel stacks here and there, when the game decided my nation had collapsed (it hadn't, I had things under control damnit), and I assume it took my final remaining loan (if this dialogue popped up, I missed it, saved and quit right after), to pay the rebels off and return me to peace.

I know this is more than a quick question, but I figured this was not really worthy of a whole new topic...and my biggest question is why did this happen? Like I said, I'd had astronomically high infamy for years, had 0 stability many times through the incredibly annoying daimyo events...though, my legitimacy was incredibly low due to the underage ruler...so maybe a perfect storm of all three? I'm just trying to figure out how to keep this from happening again, as I put a lot of work into this damn daimyo, and this came out of nowhere and just about ruined it.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the forums so the 5.2 update kinda surprised me. I had a 5.1 campaign going on and now that I picked it back up I notice neighboring the Golden Horde only gives me +0.25 settlers. I know they changed how that works, but is it supposed to be that low?

Also, any reason I can't retake previously occupied Horde provinces that broke away in revolt and are currently held by rebels?

I don't pay a lot of attention to the forums so the 5.2 update kinda surprised me. I had a 5.1 campaign going on and now that I picked it back up I notice neighboring the Golden Horde only gives me +0.25 settlers. I know they changed how that works, but is it supposed to be that low?

Yes. "Nomad Neighbour bonus is just IF you have a nomad neighbour, not 1 for each province."

You'll just have to look over all the changes -- or alternatively, install the game in a new folder with the base version and then only patch to the level you want it to be, for example BJLT.

Also, any reason I can't retake previously occupied Horde provinces that broke away in revolt and are currently held by rebels?

Are the rebels patriots or nationalists of your own culture (presumably russians)? If so their goal is already to defect to you -- or another state of your culture -- and you cannot always actively oppose them. Hover your mouse key over the rebel stack and check the two flags that appear in the box. One should be the rebel flag (red/black). The other is probably your own.

Yes. "Nomad Neighbour bonus is just IF you have a nomad neighbour, not 1 for each province."

You'll just have to look over all the changes -- or alternatively, install the game in a new folder with the base version and then only patch to the level you want it to be, for example BJLT.

Yeah, I was just initially surprised by how tiny the 0.25 bonus is when compared to the 1.65 you got before. In practice it seems to even out with the significantly faster settlement growth in nomad lands.

Are the rebels patriots or nationalists of your own culture (presumably russians)? If so their goal is already to defect to you -- or another state of your culture -- and you cannot always actively oppose them. Hover your mouse key over the rebel stack and check the two flags that appear in the box. One should be the rebel flag (red/black). The other is probably your own.

The rebels belonged to the Golden Horde. We're at war and I'm occupying most of their territory so sometimes I get rebels that try to take the land back for the Horde. Only this time they were occupying it themselves. I could actually attack the rebel stacks, just not the provinces they conquered, whereas the GH could lay siege. Very weird. Eventually I killed all the rebels and let the Horde retake the territory, after a while the remaining rebel provinces just went back to the nomads.

Maybe it's some kind of weirdness from continuing my 5.1 campaign in 5.2. Anyway, everything seems to be normal again. Thanks!

I guess I don't understand supply limits. I'm Portugal, and I have an army with a unit weight of 84 in Pirineo (which is my province, but not a core), which has a supply limit of 33. Yet my army is reinforcing at a rate of +7%. My unit weight is over twice the alleged supply limit; why am I not suffering attrition?

I guess I don't understand supply limits. I'm Portugal, and I have an army with a unit weight of 84 in Pirineo (which is my province, but not a core), which has a supply limit of 33. Yet my army is reinforcing at a rate of +7%. My unit weight is over twice the alleged supply limit; why am I not suffering attrition?

That's a green 7% on the troop window, right? That's not positive reinforcement.

That means you're taking 7% attrition a month, but your manpower and province reinforcement rate means you still have net reinforcement. If you leave that stack in that province, you will find yourself very short of manpower, very fast.

As a further note, if that number anything other than 0%, then you are taking attrition. If it is green, you are able to reinforce faster than you lose troops, if it is orange you are breaking even and if it is red, you are losing troops.

Either way, if it over 0%, you are going to be losing manpower and gaining War Exhaustion.

Playing as Novgorod -> Russia. Its mid 1700s now and i'm wondering if I should still stick to merchant republic. I love the benefits, but is it time to upgrade? If so, which would be the best? I like republics so I can choose great leaders.

I have a quick question about the time of troubles event; how long does it last the wiki says the MTTH 36 years but the MTTH is really just confusing for me. Also, I want to be a theocracy, but when I was a despotic monarchy the choice was greyed out even though I had all the other requirements, am I missing something?

Playing as Novgorod -> Russia. Its mid 1700s now and i'm wondering if I should still stick to merchant republic. I love the benefits, but is it time to upgrade? If so, which would be the best? I like republics so I can choose great leaders.
Merchant, Admin and Constituional republics are all pretty good. Have a look at your income distribution and how important your trade league is for your wealth and decide. Republican Dictatorship has the Imperialism CB, but other than that, it basically plays like a Theocracy (ruler reigns until death, no elections). Rev/CRev should not be too far away anyway if you even want to go that route.
I have a quick question about the time of troubles event; how long does it last the wiki says the MTTH 36 years but the MTTH is really just confusing for me. Also, I want to be a theocracy, but when I was a despotic monarchy the choice was greyed out even though I had all the other requirements, am I missing something?
Do you by any chance have a Regency? Have a PU? Are emperor?

I have a PU with a OPM but I have a king and since I am Hindustan I can't be the emperor. The wiki says it has something to do with sliders and I do have my centralization slider at -3 I believe since I westernized. I have a feudal monarchy which only allows a centralization of 0. Although, it says on the wiki I have to be at war and I am not.

To switch to Theocracy (given the relevant tech level), your government has to be either an Empire or Despotic Monarchy, you can't have any PU or Royal Marriage, and you can't be at war.

Slider restriction is only relevant for increased Revolt Risk for slider position past that point.

When you 'rebelize' an enemy territory with nationalists, and it declares independence, is there any way of knowing what the newly independent nation will have as a government?

I've reloaded three times to witness Crete DI from Granada, and each time it forms an Administrative Republic... I'd quite like it to be a monarchy or something so I can RM and vassalise.