• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
is there even anything to that steam group? :rofl:
still, 2 months? then again, so long as you don't go Shaytana on us :laugh:

A-levels are a pain in the arse, but I'm not risking messing up, for a video game :laugh:

BTW Rule one of the Steam Group, you don't talk about the Steam Group.

I think that under the "Hellenic" cultural group you should put all the Romantic / Latin group because the greek and the roman culture at that time was very similar. Knowing that there was a time where all South of italy was greek colonies including Rome it is not suprising. Sorry if you already argued about that.

The Cultural Groups are mostly based upon language, and the east had always used Greek as the unifying language.

Although there were plenty of similarities in the respective cultures, I think the differences are enough to make having separate groups reasonable. Plus it won't make much sense after around 550AD, when the ERE became almost completely Hellenised

I think that under the "Hellenic" cultural group you should put all the Romantic / Latin group because the greek and the roman culture at that time was very similar. Knowing that there was a time where all South of italy was greek colonies including Rome it is not suprising. Sorry if you already argued about that.

Rome was never a Greek colony. Etruscan, it can be argued. Surely not Greek.

Well according to Roman legend, it's actually Hittite :laugh:, which seems slightly unlikely.

I'm currently working on a Roman Polytheism interface, so if you think it's up to standard, then you can use it in this mod (provided you aren't making your own - I just started a thread below with a sample showing the basic art style). Granted Roman polytheism won't be the main religion, this mod being set in late antiquity, but obviously there will be many regions which still worship Jupiter (and some characters, probably).

While we are discussing Roman religion, would Mithraism still be around? By this point it would be long past it's heyday (the last Mithraeum seem to have been abandoned at the end of the 4th century) but there could plausibly be some hold-outs left. Votive coins containing Theodosius I have been found at the Mithraeum at Sarrebourg and his rule ended 4 years before game start.

It's something I've considered, but ultimately rejected. Although it would be great, I don't want a Lux-Invicta-esque religious make-up (there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't suit the time period), from my knowledge of mystery cults (Mithra, Sol, ect.) they were not religious organisations in the way that we think of the now (or as the game portrays them), there is no central authority, no supposed "monopoly on the truth" and no problem with believers joining other cults as well as theirs (one of the things that made early christianity unique, they did stop believers from joining any other religious organisations). I had thought to include them in the vague "Roman Pantheon" religion (as a sub-sect of the "Pagan" religious group), but where there were other religious movements that did not join in with the accepted "orthodoxy" (I use that term in the loosest possible manner), I will have them as full blown religions in their own right. Manichaeism is one, I'm sure there are many others.

Last edited:
Rome was never a Greek colony. Etruscan, it can be argued. Surely not Greek.

I don't know about Greek colonies in the area, but Etruscan culture was actually a Pre-Indo-European culture, one of the last ones that survived into record. I think it's pretty cool, now sadly only the Basques remain.

Anyways, this mod looks like it could be really cool. One thing, if nobody's mentioned it I would suggest changing Danubo-Roman to Daco-Roman, as I'm guessing that's the area you're going for. Unless that's supposed to represent Pannonian-Romance as well, but maybe you should just split them into separate cultures. In any case, just my opinion, Daco-Roman is a real term in use and I think it sounds better.

Sure, I've got no issues doing that. I'm not sure whether they would be Daco-Roman or Thraco-Roman (Dacia proper was gone by this point, and Dacians seemed to have been northern Thracians as far as I can tell).

Also, I was just taking a look at Britain when I found this map.

End.of.Roman.rule.in.Britain.383.410.jpg

It means that I'll include un-Romanised Britons as a Celtic Culture in their own right, and that the Saxons will start off with a few (weak) settlements.

British history is both difficult and really interesting for this time period. The sources are very sparse, so I may have to delve into "pseudo-history" for some parts (King Arthur for example).

Last edited:
Also, Sol Invictusss~~

I found this pretty map for your viewing pleasure:
latgrek.gif

Should be about mid-to-late empire, I'd guess - guy that made the map's a linguist, but I can't find the date.
Shows the dominant languages of the Empire; blue's Greek, red's Latin.

Very nice! It'll certainly be of use, I'd guesstimate it was around Antoninus Pius' era (by the British borders).

Yeah I don't think I can find a way to crowbar in Sol Invictus, unless it's a modifier (like "Sol Worshipper", or "Mithra Cultist").

I was thinking about putting the Dacians in, but sources are contradictory as to whether they died out in the 4th or 5th century (at least the non-romanised ones).

Very nice! It'll certainly be of use, I'd guesstimate it was around Antoninus Pius' era (by the British borders).

Yeah I don't think I can find a way to crowbar in Sol Invictus, unless it's a modifier (like "Sol Worshipper", or "Mithra Cultist").

I was thinking about putting the Dacians in, but sources are contradictory as to whether they died out in the 4th or 5th century (at least the non-romanised ones).
the dacians are a MYTH!
a lie propagated by a certain shadowy greek letter!!! BE WARY!!!!
:rofl:

Dacia shall RISE!

To be fair, if the Dacians actually make it in, they'll be like the Zoroastrian Persians in Vanilla.

The language died out around the 6th century, so it's possible that actual Dacians survived past that point.

I read something about the "Free Dacians" (possibly the Costoboci and Carpi) who survived beyond the Roman frontier, and who Zosimus records (as Karpodakai or Carpo-Dacians) as invading over the Danube in 381, along with a barbarian coalition of Huns and Scirii.

I suppose I could have Dacian tribes as vassals of the Hunnic Kingdom, probably centred around the Carpathian Mountains.

It could be fun to play as a Dacian ruler and try to reunite the Dacian tribes :D

Or at least the Romano-Dacians :/

FOR DACIA!

Yeah, there will definitely be Romano-Thracians (pretty much the same as Dacians to be honest), and some small outposts of independent Dacian Tribes.

On a different note, research is going steadily, I have gotten together a pretty comprehensive selection of books, podcasts, audio-lectures and so on, to do with the Romans, Celts, Saxons, Goths, and a little bit to do with the early Byzantine Empire (or ERE if you prefer).

Can anybody recomend a book specifically on Sassanid Persian history, the early Arab conquests, Germania/Non-romanised Europe in general, and perhaps one on the ERE or Britain (not Scotland, I have a good one for that area) too.

I saw this one, which looks good, http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Sword-..._B000APEALK_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367608773&sr=1-1, anyone read it?

Yeah, there will definitely be Romano-Thracians (pretty much the same as Dacians to be honest), and some small outposts of independent Dacian Tribes.

On a different note, research is going steadily, I have gotten together a pretty comprehensive selection of books, podcasts, audio-lectures and so on, to do with the Romans, Celts, Saxons, Goths, and a little bit to do with the early Byzantine Empire (or ERE if you prefer).

Can anybody recomend a book specifically on Sassanid Persian history, the early Arab conquests, Germania/Non-romanised Europe in general, and perhaps one on the ERE or Britain (not Scotland, I have a good one for that area) too.

I saw this one, which looks good, http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Sword-..._B000APEALK_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367608773&sr=1-1, anyone read it?
From what I've heard Tom Holland's a bit populist, but they're meant to be decently historical. For Persia generally, check out Iran: Empire of the Mind