• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While Sweden which doesn't really break out of NW Europe till what, the mid-1500's at the quickest deserves more than nations that are relevant right through the time period?

Sure, so it should also take note of the countries outside of Europe that had a impact on Europe. Keep the game from becoming a case of "chose European power, win game".

It's not just that Brandenburg start slow, but their greatest feat involves creating the kingdom of Prussia, and that happened as late as 1701. By that time Sweden had already been a major European player for 80 - 140 years.

No im serious i want to see ireland as a tier 3 nation because its unique and if you knew your history ireland was united to certain extents by the high kings and the irish stomped the english numerous times like in the nine years war with their gallowglass infantry and tatics something which eu3 acknowledged. I just wanna see ireland easier to form in Eu4 whether it be through the new events or something theres been other threads about this and alot of people like to play as the irish provinces. Its awesome seeing one of the provinces eventually turn into an empire and like in the other threads there should be a way for the celtic groups to form GB.I was hoping the developerswould give it some thought.

OK, now please take a number and join the queue of people who want paradox to do 'more' work on their favorite nation. How long is that queue? Well read this whole thread, then add the New World people & the people in the Balkan region. And thats just off the top of my head.

Your point is made. Repetition does not help.

In the defense of
Venice: They may have declined during the course of the history, but at the game start they still are very significant. They definitely would be worthy of a Tier 1 position.
Brandenburg: If you say that the complete timeframe of the game is important then Brandenburg MUST BE in.
China: Seriously, I know that the devs practically doesn't care at all about the world outside Europe development-wise, but only European countries in the first Tier is way too Europe-centric.
Yep put them all in. and poland. And put a half dozen more nations in tier 3. and I think these other regions need special mechanics too.

Oh whats that? You want to finish developing the game? Pah!

(and no, that is not a deliberate reference to a certain past game never released. That is working off base principles).

Lol right on didnt mean to bother yah was just hoping developers would look into it thought this was what the thread was all about and atleast the country i want fits in europa/europe and has been worked on in previos eu's. Its the only country/provinces i play thats why im focused on it. Paradox made an amazing job of it in CK2 and Vicky2 hoping they do the same here.

Last edited:
In the defense of
Venice: They may have declined during the course of the history, but at the game start they still are very significant. They definitely would be worthy of a Tier 1 position.
Brandenburg: If you say that the complete timeframe of the game is important then Brandenburg MUST BE in.
China: Seriously, I know that the devs practically doesn't care at all about the world outside Europe development-wise, but only European countries in the first Tier is way too Europe-centric.

Which 3 to remove instead of them, and why those 3 and not Poland and Netherlands which I view as more important?

I think you can argue that if Prussia forms, it is more important than Portugal, if you take the entirety of the two countries' influence during the period into account.

Portugal has always struck me as an odd country to have in the top tier. They are certainly interesting due to their trade and exploration, but on the actual continent they didn't do a whole lot. Though it is very hard to quantify the values here, how does discovering new trade routes and lands measure up to forming a continental empire?

Portugal has always struck me as an odd country to have in the top tier. They are certainly interesting due to their trade and exploration, but on the actual continent they didn't do a whole lot. Though it is very hard to quantify the values here, how does discovering new trade routes and lands measure up to forming a continental empire?

I can see why they were selected, they punched way above their weight and many followed in their footsteps, so they were indeed very influential. I would give Prussia the edge though because of their contribution within Europe, and their central involvement in several crucial wars, which is not somehting Portugal really did. In practise, my enjoyment of the game will probably not suffer because of this.

I can see why they were selected, they punched way above their weight and many followed in their footsteps, so they were indeed very influential. I would give Prussia the edge though because of their contribution within Europe, and their central involvement in several crucial wars, which is not somehting Portugal really did. In practise, my enjoyment of the game will probably not suffer because of this.

Though purely from a game play perspective it would make more sense to have some trade and exploration focused nations in the top tier, in order to make sure that all play styles have been given some attention to.

I think you can argue that if Prussia forms, it is more important than Portugal, if you take the entirety of the two countries' influence during the period into account.

Only if you only care about the 19th century and are speaking purely out of hindsight.

Portugal colonised Brazil, the world's fifth largest country, was a major player in trade on a global level, conquered territory in the Indian Ocean, Africa and Indonesia and helped found the important Jesuit Order.

Prussia had one moment in the spot light under Frederick the Great, played a secondary role in several alliances controlled by Russia, Sweden or Britain and then jumped in at the end of the Napoleonic Wars and claimed that meant they were as important as the countries that had actually fought France continuously. Prussia is pretty much the definition of 'second rate' until the ruhr boom.

Only if you only care about the 19th century and are speaking purely out of hindsight.

Portugal colonised Brazil, the world's fifth largest country, was a major player in trade on a global level, conquered territory in the Indian Ocean, Africa and Indonesia and helped found the important Jesuit Order.

Prussia had one moment in the spot light under Frederick the Great, played a secondary role in several alliances controlled by Russia, Sweden or Britain and then jumped in at the end of the Napoleonic Wars and claimed that meant they were as important as the countries that had actually fought France continuously. Prussia is pretty much the definition of 'second rate' until the ruhr boom.
Really? Who do you think was more powerful by the end of the game timeframe?

Really? Who do you think was more powerful by the end of the game timeframe?

End of the time frame is irrelevant, especially when Prussia only has the rhineland for 5 years (of EU3's end date) and that would mean Poland should be tier 3. But even then I'd still say Brazil makes Portugal stronger than Prussia and the Peninsula War was a major front throughout the Napoleonic Wars while Germany only mattered at the beginning and the end.

Even after Brazilian Independence and the formation of the German Empire Portugal and Prussia were equal on the colonial level.

This is 'Europa Universalis' not 'Europa'. :p

End of the time frame is irrelevant, especially when Prussia only has the rhineland for 5 years (of EU3's end date) and that would mean Poland should be tier 3. But even then I'd still say Brazil makes Portugal stronger than Prussia and the Peninsula War was a major front throughout the Napoleonic Wars while Germany only mattered at the beginning and the end.

Even after Brazilian Independence and the formation of the German Empire Portugal and Prussia were equal on the colonial level.

This is 'Europa Universalis' not 'Europa'. :p

Hm, I'm really not so sure - I think Portugal did a few important things at the start of the game, Prussia did a few towards the end, but as Prussia's were on the continent overall they influenced the era more IMO. It doesn't really matter though, as PDS clearly agrees with your POV.

I think we can all agree that Portugal was very important on worldwide scale, except in Europe because of their position. I mean, look at their position on the map. Then there's prussia which was far more important than Portugal in Europe but far less on a global scale. In my opinion, Portugal NEEDS to be tier 1 because of the fact that it was the country that everyone looked at and made other change their countries main objectives (ex: France, England, Castille/Spain, Netherlands). If this was a 19th/20th century game then it would be justified to have prussia has tier 1 of course, but its about the age of discovery and Portugal dominated it and maintained itself has major player during this timeline. I mean, the first Global war was fought between the Portuguese and the Dutch.

For all of you talking brandenburg over portugal..

How many of your games have you played past 1700 ?

For all of you talking brandenburg over portugal..

How many of your games have you played past 1700 ?

Its not that hard to expand way faster. Especially when you get ahistorical missions and can take Silesia while Bohemia is small (or my hated mission where 1399 Austria gets free cores if it conquers Italian land it wouldn't own until 1815).

I think ive only played one or two games past year 1700 in the 500+ hours i have clocked in Eu3, lol. Would still have liked to see Prussia in tier 1, since brandenbourg -> prussia was probably my favorite thing to do in Eu3.

No im serious i want to see ireland as a tier 3 nation because its unique and if you knew your history ireland was united to certain extents by the high kings and the irish stomped the english numerous times like in the nine years war with their gallowglass infantry and tatics something which eu3 acknowledged. I just wanna see ireland easier to form in Eu4 whether it be through the new events or something theres been other threads about this and alot of people like to play as the irish provinces. Its awesome seeing one of the provinces eventually turn into an empire and like in the other threads there should be a way for the celtic groups to form GB.I was hoping the developerswould give it some thought.

Wow.
Can you please break these post up a little into actual sentences, with punctutation.

The High Kings, at least as far as I am aware are out of period - I'm not aware of a High King in 1444 for example.
Just because of success in one war does not push a country into tier 3. You need to be generally influential, or have done something very special to get into those tiers. Fear not though, the non-tier countries are supposed to be getting attention as well...
Gallowglass are not uniquely Irish, they turned up a little in Scotland as well, although possibly as imitators, or adoptors from a similar culture.

IIRC, Wales, Ireland and Scotland already can form GB in EUIII, so I would be surprised if you can't in EUIV.

Man this is a game forum im terribly worried about good english. Second of all ireland is alot more significant than scotland. Scotland was nothing more than Englands puppet while ireland was always its weakness, a highly nationalist catholic country in a so called protestant empire. Allied with the spanish and french to fight england numerous times and was king james ii base against the pretenders/dutch. Ireland is definetley significant during this time and in the most significant part of europe. I just dont understand how these asian countries are part of the tiers and not ireland in a game focused on europa/europe, as you can see i dont post much cause i dont got time for foolishness, but i really hope they look into this. England is suppose to be the greatest power at this time, why not pay attention to one of its greatest weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.