• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I change the primary holding in a province? I revoked a county from a prince-bishop so I gained the bishopric as my holding. If I revoke the title of the local baron will his castle revert to the primary holding?

Yes. That is also your only option unless you can afford to construct a new castle holding.

Very silly question here. How do you move units around?
Sometimes mine move, sometimes they don't. Merging is a pain. How do I get two units on the same tile, what sequence of clicks should I do? Can you merge ships with embarked units?

To move, you left-click the unit`s coat-of-arm or the the units itself and right-click the land where you want them to go. If serveral units are on the same tile, you`ll see small shields icons under the unit`s amount number. You can cick and drag to select them all and the merging is located on the selected armies window (looks like 2 arrows facing each others). If you don`t want to merge but move them seperately, keep on left-clicking the CoA as explained above. You`ll scroll down between each army units.

If your unit can`t move, it may be retreating from a fight. Retreating units are locked to a neighboring land until they arrive.

Merge ships with embarked units: interesting as I have never tried that. Considering that both fleets carry armies, I guess this poses no problems. You should have 2 armies (if they were stacked before boarding). Other than that, every units that boarded would add up.

Also just a word to add: when you disband your ships, the ships are linked with the holdings they`re from. You must send them there before disbanding, to avoid any loss. You left click the ship and right click the land where the holdings are located. Then disband.

Last edited:
It prevents wars initiated by claims the vassal have. This prevents vassals fabricating claims and pressing them as well as pressing claims they might have inherited or gained in other ways; this is probably the majority of wars (excluding revolt/depose, which the game realistically couldn't have crown authority stopping), but certainly not all of them. When you go to absolute crown authority, it will also prevent vassals waging wars against rulers in other realms but won't change internal wars. Personally I think it's pretty essential to have medium crown authority to keep your realm in order. I usually only go up to high crown authority if I want to change to primogeniture and maximum crown authority just feels like a really bad idea for the penalties.

So you are sayin in medium CA lords cant fabricate claims and press them in wars? I will keep an eye for that, because I kinda think there were cases of this even with my medium CA.

So, for examplep now one war started: countess (and also a queen of king, whose I am liege in Russian Empire) is attacking a duke. The war is called simply "Countess Agafya of Uglich's war for Rostov". The said countess has a weak claim (can be inherited - how is that possible anyway, a weak inheritable claim? I thought these two excluded each other) on duchy of Rostov. The current duke is child (if that means anything).

How come?

Here's the scenario: I am Emperor of Hispania, and am slowly taking over territory from the HRE through a variety of means.

There is one county where the heir is willing to come to my court. I invite him and land him with a barony in a neighboring county. I then kill the count and my new baron inherits. But he is now a vassal of the HRE -- in essence, I have just created a barony for the HRE in one of my counties.

Why did this happen?

Is there any downside to moving your capitol outside of your de jure kingdom to a newly conquered duchy? Distance modifier is not a factor and will actually improve vis-a-vis several vassals. I assume I'll need to convert my new home to my religion first so it doesn't convert me via event?

It depends IMHO. Is the new capital has more holdings or better techs? I find this questionnable but I tend to choose techs over holdings amount. I may be wrong but you could have an opinion hit because your capital is not from the kingdom you have set. Just don`t take my word for it though

Tech is a little lower in my intended new home. Income may take a hit but is not a factor. Holdings are pretty good, but the big factor is they are surely less developed than my current holdings - my goal is to increase troop strength in my kingdom. My counties have all holding slots filled, and everything is developed pretty much as far as tech will allow. AI controlled provinces don't develop nearly as well, overlords don't seem to develop their vassals' holdings, instead they hoard the money or spend it on shit like feasts and fabricated claims.

I can't develop holdings in counties I don't own, can't take over vassal's counties without upsetting a LOT of folks, and building new holdings in other people's counties is a tricky business (demesne limit + vassal opinion). So I figured conquering an emirate and taking it over, handing over my fully developed duchy to a doge, and spending my income maxing out the new counties is the way to go long term. My big concern is of course will there be problems from having my capitol outside my de jure kingdom?

Tech is a little lower in my intended new home. Income may take a hit but is not a factor. Holdings are pretty good, but the big factor is they are surely less developed than my current holdings - my goal is to increase troop strength in my kingdom. My counties have all holding slots filled, and everything is developed pretty much as far as tech will allow. AI controlled provinces don't develop nearly as well, overlords don't seem to develop their vassals' holdings, instead they hoard the money or spend it on shit like feasts and fabricated claims.

I can't develop holdings in counties I don't own, can't take over vassal's counties without upsetting a LOT of folks, and building new holdings in other people's counties is a tricky business (demesne limit + vassal opinion). So I figured conquering an emirate and taking it over, handing over my fully developed duchy to a doge, and spending my income maxing out the new counties is the way to go long term. My big concern is of course will there be problems from having my capitol outside my de jure kingdom?

The only reason to move your capital is reduce distance penalty, tech improvement or trying to promote culture spread.

Reduce distance penalty is fairly self explainatory, tech improvement only if the new holding is massively better then your current holding. You receive a demense bonus for each level of each holding that is over you current current holding. The only tech bonuses I think that apply to your capital would be culture/noblity/town/church opinion and legalism, also a couple of other minor ones, so the tech move reason is usually not worth the trouble.

Culture - depends on Kingdom held and surrounding provinces cultures.

Example k_abyssinia has a hard code of culture ethiopian, if you move your capital as King of Abyssinia(ethiopian) to Alexandria in Egypt, Alexandria is then considered de jure Abyssinia, which can trigger the settlers event and result in a culture shift of Alexandria to ethiopian. There are other factors that need to be considered as well, in relation to event triggering.

EDIT: Sorry there is no down side to moving your capital outside de jure lands.

Here's the scenario: I am Emperor of Hispania, and am slowly taking over territory from the HRE through a variety of means.

There is one county where the heir is willing to come to my court. I invite him and land him with a barony in a neighboring county. I then kill the count and my new baron inherits. But he is now a vassal of the HRE -- in essence, I have just created a barony for the HRE in one of my counties.

Why did this happen?

I think it is because you granted him a lower level title in your realm than the one he inherited afterwards from HRE, so when he turned his higher rank title as the main title, he had to be vassal of the HRE. I would try to go back, grant him a county of your Empire and then let him inherit the other county from HRE. In that case, I think he shouldn't shift to the HRE.

Why did this happen?
Is the county affected by high crown authority?
And the barony isn't?

That may be why.

Why did this happen?

The title "count" is a vassal of HRE, "baron" is a vassal of yours. When a title is inheritted(that is higher), the inheritted becomes primary and this is why he is now a vassal of HRE. If you granted him a county, he would then inherit the county and stay a vassal of yours.

Is the county affected by high crown authority?
And the barony isn't?

That's why.

No. Just no.

If a count is your vassal and is line to inherit a county in a high CA, he should be skipped and would not leave your kingdom.

A quick question... my wife, Queen of Russia, was "executed by Fedvronia Fyodyorov"... is there a way to find this person and discuss my displeasure with his/her actions?

Edit: The displeasure is self explanatory, the main question is how do I find it so I can send people to kill it with copious amounts of fire.

A quick question... my wife, Queen of Russia, was "executed by Fedvronia Fyodyorov"... is there a way to find this person and discuss my displeasure with his/her actions?

Edit: The displeasure is self explanatory, the main question is how do I find it so I can send people to kill it with copious amounts of fire.

Have you checked the Characters button on the top left? I think everyone should be listed there.

Argh! The wifesearcher, of course!

I've found her. And... I'm very much surprised. The hag was the Queen Mother of Russia, and she killed my first wife, the Queen of Russia, and she was also probably responsible for the plot which killed my second wife, the Queen of Russia (sister to the first wife, and her other daughter)... although for additional Drama, the plot took place while my second wife was pregnant with the future heir of Hisprancia and Rus. She was maimed and died from her injuries without being able to give birth.

This Emperor of mine is extremely unlucky with the wives... third wive died of old age at 40 before I could set up our heir with a wife of his own, and my fourth wife and lover just passed away from old age at 38.

Last edited:
How come when I put my Marshall to Suppressing Revolts, he doesn't actually reduce the revolt percentage of a province?

Also, what is culture revolt chance based on? The difference between the culture of the local count and the local people?

Quick question: Is there a way to toggle the armies on/off on the map, since they are seriously annoying when making screenshots.

How come when I put my Marshall to Suppressing Revolts, he doesn't actually reduce the revolt percentage of a province?

Also, what is culture revolt chance based on? The difference between the culture of the local count and the local people?

I`m pretty sure that the percentage of your marshall to suppress revolt is taken inton account. This percentage is up to how effective he is vs the province percent. Meaning that, if a province has 15% revolt and your marshall 25% suppressing, That province has 15% chance of getting a revolt, but your marshall has 25% chance to not make it happen. The percentage shown in your holdings window will not change. Only if their religion or culture changes to yours.

I`m uncertain about culture revolts but I`d say that it`s the liege vs them. Or the person that has the highest title and can have access to that province...anyway, you get the picture...To see him, click the upper right CoA in your holdings window

Last edited:
I`m pretty sure that the percentage of your marshall to suppress revolt is taken inton account. This percentage is up to how effective he is vs the province percent. Meaning that, if a province has 15% revolt and your marshall 25% suppressing, That province has 15% chance of getting a revolt, but your marshall has 25% chance to not make it happen. The percentage shown in your holdings window will not change. Only if their religion or culture changes to yours.

I`m uncertain about culture revolts but I`d say that it`s the liege vs them. Or the person that has the highest title and can have access to that province...anyway, you get the picture...To see him, click the upper right CoA in your holdings window

Well I'm not sure about that because I've seen the Marshall's suppression chance denoted as a percentage within a holding before. It seems that he just doesn't function vs certain types of revolts. Or maybe it takes to the end of the month to show up right?

For culture revolts, the wiki says "liege" but does that mean you? Can't it mean the liege of the holding?

New Questions:

1. If I'm a King, how can I lose a Duchy within my Kingdom held by some other noble via inheritance? Does the heir have to be a vassal to another King or Emperor? What determines whether the Duchy remains in my realm?

2. I previously created the Kingdom of Arabia. I did a Holy War vs the Emir of Medina and handed out 4 provinces. One I kept, one I gave to a son and the other two (and Emir) I gave to a new vassal. What I don't understand is how the Emir is now part of 3 different Kingdoms. My son already had holdings in Mesopotamia and his province is now in that Kingdom. My province is in my default Kingdom of Persia. The new vassal's provinces are in the Kingdom of Arabia. Did I make a big mistake in handing out these provinces as I did? Can the two provinces be moved back into the De Jure Kingdom of Arabia? Does it matter that it's like this?