• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If it's an optional DLC that can be deactivated, then it might be quite handy for new players.

Indeed. I think some long-time Vic2 players forget that there's a steep learning curve for beginners-- and the more people we can get playing and figuring out the game, the more people will stick around and continue to support it. Everybody wins.

Even better would be if those advisors could be modded-- it'd be lovely if we could advise a player about things that are different in PDM, for example. "You have a Pacifist government-- that means many wargoals will be restricted!"

I started playing Victoria 2 on *checks gmail* January 27, and I don't recall wanting an advisor. Besides, they'd just be filling the same functions as the tutorials. You know, those pointless little step-by-step guides that Paradox never updates anyway. Only this kind of feature would take even more dev time.

I started playing Victoria 2 on *checks gmail* January 27, and I don't recall wanting an advisor. Besides, they'd just be filling the same functions as the tutorials. You know, those pointless little step-by-step guides that Paradox never updates anyway. Only this kind of feature would take even more dev time.

You may not have needed an advisor, but not everyone catches on that quickly (and it's obvious from many of the questions that appear on the forums that this is the case-- and that's ignoring the people who don't come here to ask at all and instead simply give up). Separate tutorials which people don't play don't really do the same thing.

i dont understand why assimilation is getting a nerf for so long, it have became a phenomea tbh. I believe assimilation needs major buff actually. The more it gets nerfed, the more overpowered countries in the game get stronger..

just compare how assimilation is so strong already for countries like UK with too many provinces while small countries have very little benefit from it. Nerfing it non stop for so long time is really not solving this issue. Instead, assimilation should be buffed a lot, this would also add more balance to the game.

Sometime this or next week I think

I think making the advisers have their own agenda would be way more confusing for beginner players. But I think advisers would be a great idea especially for sorting out the more advanced features of the game such as individual pops and micromanagement of the trading. If I hadn't watched parts of several lets plays on youtube I wouldn't know how the game worked at all. Paradox needs something more user friendly than a tutorial or a long confusing and boring manual so that people can figure out the game.

Last edited:
I think making the advisers have their own agenda would be way more confusing for beginner players. But U think advisers would be a great idea especially for sorting out the more advanced features of the game such as individual pops and micromanagement of the trading. If I hadn't watched parts of several lets plays on youtube I wouldn't know how the game worked at all. Paradox needs something more user friendly than a tutorial or a long confusing and boring manual so that people can figure out the game.

Absolutely and you have to remember that the more you understand a game like this the more pleasure you get out of it when you see your planned tactics actually start bearing fruit. But if you don't know what you are doing and why things are happening it can be impossibly frustrating. I am sure many players who buy Paradox games aren't aware of Lets Play and AAR's etc. And lets face it the manual and tutorials are dreadful in teaching someone how to actually play the game. I have tried HOI2, Rome and EU3 before this and never thought of looking on YouTube or in the AAR's to learn how to play these games which is probably why I've never really enjoyed them. This might in fact be the first Paradox game I actually 'play' and enjoy. And this is solely because I have made a big attempt to look at AARs, YouTube and the Wikipedia articles. Anyway I don't want to sabotage the patch thread so I will stop going on about this but I think advisors are the next logical step for all future Paradox games if they want to encourage more people with limited play time due to families and girlfriends to enjoy these games. I bought this game five days ago and I haven't even played it yet. :cool:

I'm thinking this might be a bug exclusive to Germany, because in an MP game, my friend who's playing as Belgium didn't get all the pops converted to soldiers once the region was colonized, but my regions had easily >50% soldier pops instantly. I'm noticing this in another game where I didn't bother colonizing Africa at all and the French and British naturally painted it blue and red, but neither of them got a crazy amount of pops suddenly become soldiers once it was colonized.

I wonder if there are versions specific to different countries. In my game as Hawaii, most of the islands I colonized had 30-50% clergy when I took them over, while with Peru, I noticed no weirdness in populations of new colonies.

So in anticipation for Crusader Kings 2, I rushed to finish my first AHD game as Belgium. The last years of the game were a bit -- weird. Here are a couple of observations:

First of all, I wasn't able to build a single armor all game because there was no tank production in the entire world (I (and everybody else I assume) had the necessary tech). I don't know if this is a known bug in 2.1 (I didn't check the bug forum).

France was in a bad position towards the end of the game. I had captured almost half of its territory. It was humiliated in a separate war and had fallen out of great power status with almost zero military and little industry. Then something weird happened. The last 10 years of the game, France started to produce ships like crazy -- I mean hundreds of ships. The funny thing is it had zero brigades and still weak industry. It gained over 5000 military points in less than 10 years and climbed to #2 spot all still having zero brigades and weak industry. It shouldn't be able to do that.

That tells me the military score calculation and/or ship building mechanism is messed up. Ships really should be tied to pops like armies so countries can't spam hundreds of dreadnoughts if they can't realistically (economically and personnel-wise) support it. I personally don't like dreadnought count directly contributing to military score. I understand they were sort of the nuclear weapons of the Victorian era but there needs to be a more elegant way than just pure ship count.

Also towards the end of the game (in fact most of the game), money was too easy to come by. I finished with about 45M in the bank. That may be another reason why France was able to spam that many ships in that short amount of time.

Tanks are usually in short supply, which is why i make a ton of armor factories as soon as I get the tech. They'll need to be subsidized at first, but being the only one with armor is a massive advantage.

Tanks are usually in short supply, which is why i make a ton of armor factories as soon as I get the tech. They'll need to be subsidized at first, but being the only one with armor is a massive advantage.

I am not talking about short supply. I am talking zero (trade screen showed a world supply of 1 the entire game) production of tanks in the world for the entire game. I had liberals in power all game. My capitalists didn't build any tank factories. My artisans never produced any tanks. Combined with zero tank production in the world, I'd say something is definitely wrong.

Attachable units
You can now attach a unit to another friendly unit owned by AI, or another player in MP. It will then follow them around and help. Great if you are in a big war and want to lend UK some of your fleet.

I love you. :wub:

I am not talking about short supply. I am talking zero (trade screen showed a world supply of 1 the entire game) production of tanks in the world for the entire game. I had liberals in power all game. My capitalists didn't build any tank factories. My artisans never produced any tanks. Combined with zero tank production in the world, I'd say something is definitely wrong.

The Capi AI has a bit of a blindness problem with goods that aren't active at start - they'll ignore them until supply or demand moves up from 1.

I would love to be able to see graphs of how my population has demoted and promoted so that i can more easily change the taxes and sliders to accommodate what i need better.

Also this is my first post on the Paradox forums i would just like to say that finding Victoria 2 AHD was like finding a long lost brother. I love the game and i am so happy to see a company that really communicates with its customers. I am even more glad to see you guys actively patching your games. Bought Hoi2, Hoi3, Sots1, Sots2, Europa Universalis Chronicles and Victoria 2 AHD just because of how awesome you guys are. Keep up the great work! (i hope this isn't the wrong thread for this)

I would love to be able to see graphs of how my population has demoted and promoted so that i can more easily change the taxes and sliders to accommodate what i need better.

Also this is my first post on the Paradox forums i would just like to say that finding Victoria 2 AHD was like finding a long lost brother. I love the game and i am so happy to see a company that really communicates with its customers. I am even more glad to see you guys actively patching your games. Bought Hoi2, Hoi3, Sots1, Sots2, Europa Universalis Chronicles and Victoria 2 AHD just because of how awesome you guys are. Keep up the great work! (i hope this isn't the wrong thread for this)

Welcome to the forum, pooned! That's not a bad idea about the graph.

i dont understand why assimilation is getting a nerf for so long, it have became a phenomea tbh. I believe assimilation needs major buff actually. The more it gets nerfed, the more overpowered countries in the game get stronger..

just compare how assimilation is so strong already for countries like UK with too many provinces while small countries have very little benefit from it. Nerfing it non stop for so long time is really not solving this issue. Instead, assimilation should be buffed a lot, this would also add more balance to the game.

NErf, nerfing, buffing .... please define what that means? Thanks.