• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Time of Troubles

Every nation has its experiments with running the machine of state in different ways; the Fatimid Caliph and the Russian Tsar constantly try to get their cousins, grand-cousins and cousins to the nth degree on the important ducal thrones of the realm, while maintaining a chosen monarchy among those cousins; the Bavarians have their attempts at centralising their huge but culturally unified realm, and the Scandinavians... well, it is best not to mention the perverted experiments of the Nordic peoples, lest one accidentally trigger some eldritch threshold and set free elder horrors from beyond this space-time.

Al-Andalus is no exception to national experimentalism; if anything, the fluid nature of Andalusian culture, due to its multi-religious character, allows for rather more political leeway than most nations have, for better and for worse. On the plus side, the freedoms lead to progress, both social and technological; on the negative side, some experiment are succesful, but have clear negative outcomes. Take for example the regency of Al-Bhalin, who claimed to be of the venerable house Dhu'l Nun, but is suspected by modern historiographers to hail from the house of Bradhuley, tracing its roots to the very far east. His rule came around in a boisterous period in Andalusi history; great stretches of Loire had just been liberated, with its population slowly coming under Andalusi leadership; The Black Death, the bubonic plague was in full swing, spreading like wildfire from the many Andalusi trading harbours, and the pneumonic plague was showing its first symptoms in Genoa. A boisterous time, which quickly devolved into something of a civil war. Sensing a power vacuum, the many different petty rulers of greater Al-Andalus rose, attempting to proscribe their own particular brand of freedom to the populace at large. Oftentimes, this meant wanting to extend those freedoms by force of arms to neighbours - certainly, not the sort of freedom usually to be had in Al-Andalus. Shocked by these rumblings, the inner circle of Andalusian ruling elite sought to dethrone the failing regent as soon as possible. It was agreed upon that merely fixing this situation would never be enough; consequently, the ruling elite sought to set up a permanent charter by which the country was to be governed, based on philosophy, good practice and the rule of law. Thus came into being Andalusian Common Law, though it would take a great many more years before it was instituted throughout all of Andalusian society.

Al-Andalus may have been chaotic at this time, but other countries were no less affected. Perhaps lacking the unstable Andalusi leadership of the time, they were also beset by plague, famine, and war. It was in the boisterous years of the middle fourteenth century that the Roman Empire went through its greatest ordeal yet: Constantinople was lost to the Croatians, not groundlessly claiming to be heirs of the Roman heritage themselves - fact remained that this infighting did nothing to strengthen Rome as a whole; indeed, though the experience of war was strongest in the Roman Balkans, so were the depredations of war - a situation only beneficial to the neighbours of the region, certainly not the inhabitants themselves.

Only time will tell how things will resolve. Stay tuned!

Sad what happened to frosty's realm, being AI'ed and all that. Too bad I wasn't there to sub.

Ok, so Frosty, before you get too annoyed at Blayne, please notice that he managed to keep a Komnenos from inheriting the throne of Egypt. That was actually a real possibility for some time during this session; you were one untimely event away. So, cheer up, it could have been much worse! Also, I believe Oddman intends to give you back the Italian vassals.

Ok, so Frosty, before you get too annoyed at Blayne, please notice that he managed to keep a Komnenos from inheriting the throne of Egypt. That was actually a real possibility for some time during this session; you were one untimely event away. So, cheer up, it could have been much worse! Also, I believe Oddman intends to give you back the Italian vassals.

Actually I think it had less to do with Blayne and more to do with the fact that said count is no longer in the Egyptian realm. :p

Romanion loses the Queen of Cities, only to gain Antioch and the Holy Land once more.

May the Croats be destroyed by Greek armies, and may they be driven back beyond the Danube. Perhaps Germany or Russia could help trim down the Croat tribes?

Love OY, but don't love Croatia. I like the real Romans better.

Actually I think it had less to do with Blayne and more to do with the fact that said count is no longer in the Egyptian realm. :p

Well yes, but even before that Blayne had managed to push him down from being first in line to the throne. I think he was second or third when he rebelled and you sniped him.

Right. And there were several months before that, during which he was first in line. One heart-attack event, just one. So, in spite of the rebels, Egypt dodged a bullet and should give a great big sigh of relief.

Here's the current map. Areas marked in white are in rebellion against Fatimid rule, and yes, since you ask, that does mean that the whole of Libya has risen against an unpopular autocrat. (The source of this whole problem is that the current Fatimid king is a heretic. They'd have been better off with the Komnenos.)

EuropeBase.png

Areas taken over by Oddman are marked as Fatimid, since he said he'd give them back. I'm not sure whether Persia intends to return what he took, so I marked those in the Persian colour. I'm reasonably convinced Croatia will keep his new Italian possessions. As for Byzantium, molon labe.

Incidentally, Byzantium is declaring a no-fly zone in Libya. And you can bet the enforcement will be 100% successful, too. :D

1361 to 1374

In which...:
* Everybody and their aunt (except for KoM and Fivoin) is in Realm Duress;
* Everyone and their aunt (except for Blayne, who is subbing Egypt) recovers, or at least fails to collapse;
* Egypt collapses;
* Bits are snapped up by Byzantion, Croatia, Persia and Al-Andalus, for reasons varying in nefariousness;
* The Plague starts its slow retreat.

Behold the carnage with thine own eyes:

1374subsc.png

Looks like a momentous session.

Incidentally, Byzantium is declaring a no-fly zone in Libya. And you can bet the enforcement will be 100% successful, too. :D

So Egypt cant use the flying carpets, flying sphinx and flying pyramids agaisnt the rebels? How cruel of you!

Well, fair is fair, I'm not allowing the rebels to use them against him, either.

Oddman: emu'd! :D

I leave the game for one f-n saturday of booze, music and hot blondes. >_<

Blayne, I have words that would violate several UN conventions for you...

For everyone else: I expect the friendly return of the lands I held, possibly with reimbursements for your good governance in my absence and NAPs/DAs/friendship für alles.

For those who intend to keep land taken from me: Fiery, violent and never-ending vengeance. Remember Sicily.

Last edited:
First time posting here.

I was very sad to see the destruction of Western Rome and Loire the hands of ruthless players. Thus, I agree with Port. Also, to see Constantinople not in the hands of Eastern Rome and KoM (truly an inspiring leader and writer) cuts to my heart! Good luck, KoM, and hopefully you will get it back eventually from the Croatians, who have falsely termed themselves a new Rome. I will now go back to observing in silence, but I exhort all Christian men to beat back the Muhammadans and take back Italy, Spain, and Lebanon!