• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is new to this patch, but I haven't seen it before.

Bar has 4 provinces, all of which have Burgundy cores. I'm emperor, so I attack Bar with the imperial liberation CB. I demand they release Burgundy, and Burgundy gets all 4 provinces. Bar ceases to exist.

Is that WAD? I don't think it used to work that way.

I seem to remember a HTTT game where Naples annexed Sicily, then had their lands on the Italian peninsula taken by someone else. Their only cores were on the island of Sicily. In a later war, I demanded that they release Sicily (who had the same cores, plus Malta), and Naples ceased to exist. So I think it's been happening for a while now.

Not sure if this is new to this patch, but I haven't seen it before.

Bar has 4 provinces, all of which have Burgundy cores. I'm emperor, so I attack Bar with the imperial liberation CB. I demand they release Burgundy, and Burgundy gets all 4 provinces. Bar ceases to exist.

Is that WAD? I don't think it used to work that way.

I don't know if it's intended or not or if it's on the list of things to fix, but it has been like that for awhile.

New to DW, so don't know if these are due to the patch or not, but is it normal to be able to annex 4-province countries now? Also, I notice that it's often quicker to siege with 2-inf units rather than larger armies with cav!

The speed up some people have experienced might just be because they aren't connected to Paradox Connect anymore.

No, I've noticed a speedup and have never had Paradox Connect. First because I was on Steam and after Steam checksums were allowed I had the beta installed.

New to DW, so don't know if these are due to the patch or not, but is it normal to be able to annex 4-province countries now?
This was added in the last HttT patch. In general, any country you can force-vassalize you can also force-annex.
AFAIK size of siege force and using infantry or cavalry makes no difference on siege times as long as you have enough troops to siege at all.

Holy Blob Empires!!

In all my games, in 1550 there's only 4 blob: emperor, france, en england( sometimes great britain if they get cores on scotland) castille wich always conquer north africa ( historically impossible... ; russia is formed, but always by novgorod!!( a merchant republic!!!!! gnarffff)

Then it don't explode exept if i'm enough strong to kikk their ass...

Poor moskva...
Poor world ruled by one emperor...

The way the game is taking is so impossible caus' of trade system ( more you're free trade mùore you can kick ass you want!!) No possibility to north african state to resist to castille ( not spain, but castille wihch kik ass to aragon and portugak at the same time!!!)

So ... very strange, a bit funny, but angering when only exist 1 real power...

Okay, here's the biggest problem I know of in this beta as of now. It's being discussed in the bug report forum, but I'll post it here to make absolutely sure that the severity is noted.

When you have an illegal province in the HRE, if you are not in the HRE you risk a stab hit. If you are in the HRE, you get a huge infamy debuf (+0.25 per *year* per province, which offsets a 5-star diplomat, even for *one* province, and it stacks) for even holding the province.

This is fine, and I'm not arguing that this design is invalid. There are severe problems caused by this, in interaction with other game mechanics. If you get a mission that tells you to conquer something, or annex someone, or take a province or two, you often do not get a core on the provinces you've taken.

This is a problem if it's one province you've taken. The AI has been told to take the province, and has gone through a war probably to get it, and is going to get a debuf, and is going to be asked by the emperor to give it back.

If you've taken several provinces, as in the case where the mission is to annex an HRE member, the consequences of a successful mission are going to be completely shattering. Austria is the most obvious victim here, because very early in the game they are going to get "incorporate Bohemia" missions, and then later on the "claims in Italy mission", but other nations such as Bavaria and Prussia and Venice will also run afoul of this. Being the emperor doesn't make any difference, by the way, you still get the debuf.

My from perspective, Austria is unplayable as it stands now, and by that I mean that you either have to mod to play it, or you have to cancel out of a mission that the game will give you at every opportunity, or you have to cripple yourself, or you have to ignore missions.

An obvious fix would be to make the annexation mission against Bohemia (and possibly against Burgundy and Hungary), give a claim throne CB rather than a subjugate CB, but this does not work, since these CB's are subject to cancel if the target monarch is strong.

Regardless of how it's fixed, this problem must be fixed before release, because otherwise the play experience for several nations, including one of the most major nations, will be severely degraded, and the AI is likely to either get stuck refusing to do a mission it knows is going to cripple it, or will do the mission and suffer terrible consequences.

I've played a couple of games with the latest beta now and I think the GH-Poland/Lithuania-Russia dynamic is still off. At first the GH attacks and gets tribute from all the Russian minors and then by around 1450 starts to fall apart. So far so good. Excellent event. But it is always Genoa/Poland/Lithuania that take advantage of this collapse rather than the Russians. By 1500 or so the Russians are still all in small city-states while Poland has most of the Black Sea coast and Lithuania stretches to the Caspian.

I think an easy fix for Poland would be to not allow it to annex Moldavia every single game - that is how they get a border with GH. As for Lithuania, perhaps giving it a few more internal problems while making the Russians a bit stronger might help.

Then again, its only been 2 games and so if everyone else sees Russia form just fine I might have had bad luck on that front.
I saw Russia form, and it was pretty big, north to south at least. East to west it had problems, since Ming does get enormous, and had taken all of Siberia by the time Russia formed.

I disagree. There are so many usages for them, so any less would just make it annoying. Mostly because of getting good cultural tradition costs a lot.
Though it would be good to see it tied to tech somehow, to get less magistrates at 1399 and logically at the end of the game, get more. That would reflect better education and more population.
I think it's a really elegant system now.

At the beginning of the game you have nothing to do, so you make art.

If you expand like crazy forever you become an uncultured heathen and never make any art because all your magistrates end up making buildings.

If you strike a balance, you end up with buildings everywhere, and still get to make some art.

Is is just me or do the mamlukes get killed a lot more easily nowadays? I've had them eaten by France, Castille and even Austria before 1500 hits. The catholic powers keep taking chunks out of the middle east with near-impunity. It's even worse than in HttT. I blame the horde system. While the Timurids used to war a lot, at least it wasn't all the time. Now the Mamluks and Ottomans are either paying tribute they can't afford or getting whacked. The timurids don't take DotF either, so they're no use against the crusaders.

Is is just me or do the mamlukes get killed a lot more easily nowadays?

The Mamluks are prone to guaranteeing other Muslim nations or putting them into their SoI, which means they get into wars a great deal. Sometimes it means they blob like mad, but it usually means they come to a bad end, because almost any war with a Sunni nation means the Mamluks get involved, and whilst they're a match for any Sunni power, they will get crushed if Castille, in particular, get involved. Also, as they are tribal, they are prone to internal strife.

The Ottomans have the same guarantee problem, although if they get many of their Greek cores back, they can be very hard indeed to stop. Venice is usually their nemesis in the early game.

True, but in HttT at least, they didn't send most of their troops rampaging through Timurid land all the time. I means they and the ottomans are constantly fighting two-front wars. Used to be the timurids would be the ones guaranteeing. Also you'll never see the Ottomans ally with an european power, thanks to how diplomacy works, despite the fact that historically they were almost best friends with France.

One problem with the imperial stuff I noticed is the cycle of "guy takes province illegally, gives it to emperor, emperor gets shitload of BB".

One way of solving it would be to make damn sure every HRE province could be released as a vassal. Because right now that's not the case, which means the Emperor can't always get rid of his new "illegal" provinces.

Not sure if this is just in this beta, but I havent noticed it before.
I attacked milan and then via alliances burgundy got the alliance leader of milan's side. But now the game said "Hainaut joined Milan in the war against blabla" I just clicked like yeah whatever, but then I thougth WHAT? joined MILAN?? :/ that should not be possible, milan isnt the alliance leader :mad:

See screenshot for proof. I haven't tried to duplicate this and haven't noticed it earlier.
bug1.jpg

One problem with the imperial stuff I noticed is the cycle of "guy takes province illegally, gives it to emperor, emperor gets shitload of BB".

One way of solving it would be to make damn sure every HRE province could be released as a vassal. Because right now that's not the case, which means the Emperor can't always get rid of his new "illegal" provinces.
In the beta they can give the province to the previous owner even if that country doesn't exist, doesn't have a core, or is the wrong culture. If the Emperor has more than 20% of his infamy limit he will always do that instead of keeping the province. Giving it to the previous owner also reduces the Emperor's infamy by 1.

Not sure if this is just in this beta, but I havent noticed it before.
I attacked milan and then via alliances burgundy got the alliance leader of milan's side. But now the game said "Hainaut joined Milan in the war against blabla" I just clicked like yeah whatever, but then I thougth WHAT? joined MILAN?? :/ that should not be possible, milan isnt the alliance leader :mad:

See screenshot for proof. I haven't tried to duplicate this and haven't noticed it earlier.
View attachment 32370

It's always been like that, both the original defender and alliance leader can call allies.

Status
Not open for further replies.