• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, do tell me more about this, please.

Does this mean I can split Canada into separate states of my own choosing?

~ fingers crossed ~

Austen.

No, it just means you can upgrade the status of the state from colonial to "regular"

No, it just mean you can upgrade the status of the state from colonial to "regular"

The advantage being what, exactly?

Presumably there are requirements for this, also?

Austen.

I meant from Vicky 1. :)
Ah, well it's been a while sicne I played V1, so I don't know if this is 100% correct.

In V1, you colonised provinces. You could then grant statehood to these provinces if you had enough POPs of your culture in there. Statehood meant that these states were more productive, but also more costly (education, crimefighting...). So, there was a difference between "colonial states" and "proper states".

To answer your Canada question: no, you couldn't split up the states in any way you pleased, states were pre-defined.

Austen.

Yes, in Vic1 you had to have there national-culture POPs. After "upgrade" you could build factories (or capitalists could, depends).

To change the structure of state itself (move provinces, merge states) edition of save game file was needed I'm afraid.

No, it just means you can upgrade the status of the state from colonial to "regular"

Ah, well it's been a while sicne I played V1, so I don't know if this is 100% correct.

In V1, you colonised provinces. You could then grant statehood to these provinces if you had enough POPs of your culture in there. Statehood meant that these states were more productive, but also more costly (education, crimefighting...). So, there was a difference between "colonial states" and "proper states".

To answer your Canada question: no, you couldn't split up the states in any way you pleased, states were pre-defined.

Interesting...

So, US territories will probably be represented as 'colonial states', whereas actual states will be represented as 'proper states'?

Given the likely game mechanics, I think that probably makes sense.

That way, as the nation pushes westward and Yankee POPs begin to dominate, these territories can be granted statehood, right?

In Vicky 1, did a colony need a certain level of your own POPs for this to be doable?

Austen.

~ Ah, just got this:

Yes, in Vic1 you had to have there national-culture POPs. After "upgrade" you could build factories (or capitalists could, depends).

To change the structure of state itself (move provinces, merge states) edition of save game file was needed I'm afraid.

Excellent stuff. I just hope in Ticky we can edit/create our own state boundaries - or perhaps in an expansion; I think this would be absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks for all your answers.

Oh, do tell me more about this, please.

Does this mean I can split Canada into separate states of my own choosing?

~ fingers crossed ~

Austen.

Not in game, but you can mod it once you learn how.

I think that's right. I haven't played a game of v1 in a while now. Things tend to drop out of my head lately. And yes I'm only talking about v1.

pfft! Emu'd about twenty times. I'm going back to sleep.

Awesome start, paying very close attention :)

Austen.

OK.

Making a colony a state gave several advantages, the most important of which was the fact that you could build factories in states.

Once upgraded to a state the people within it contributed to elections.

However they also cost you money in that you now paid more in crime fighting and education.

To make a colony a state atleast one of its provinces had to have an accepted culture as its largest culture.

Here are a few examples from a UK game I played:

A few of the UK's Atlantic Islands were attatched to states on the African mainland. These islands had British as their culture so despite there being not Brits on the highly populated African provs you could turn that colony into a state and build factories.

I had alot of migration into South Africa and a few provs got British culture as their no 1 therefore I could buil factories in South Africa.

Finally I had, strangely, 10s of thousands of Irish moving to Kenya. This land became 60% Irish but since Irish is not accepted I could not build up factories in Kenya despite the fact that it would have been a largely European, English speaking region.

There you go.

NOTE: this was answering a question on V1. ;)

Also, in states the POPs could assimilate while in colonies they couldn't.

Nice AAR! Keeping us all salivating until release day :)

I like being able to build ships wherever you wish - a big improvement.

Also, the national focuses look very nice. Especially encouraging the promotion of POPs or immigration of new ones.

I like being able to build ships wherever you wish - a big improvement.

Should you not only be able to build ships in provinces with adequate shipwright facilities? (Which, incidentally, ought to be very expensive to construct - particularly in your colonies).

Austen.

Also, once you granted them 'statehood' they could no longer be taken from you in a colonial war.

Interesting.

Of course, we no longer have the colonial war mechanism, but I suspect that states will cost a lot more war score than colonies.

Austen.

V2_MAP_FRA_183611_2.jpg

Guess I wasn't wrong – Africa is as ridiculous as it looked in the developer diaries.

Wow - darkest Africa really is dark :). I guess (hope) that black will be changed to an EU3-esque softer colour for colonial areas (grey? tan?).