• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
FEEDBACK

So u are advancing in Russia and India...naughty,naughty:)
It'd be pretty dang hard to pull off a WC without being a little bit naughty... ;)

May I ask why you took that Colonial ideal first?
The lack of 'special people' (colonists, missionaries, diplomats) for being a non-Christian country is one of Ming's weak points. Other powers might alleviate the colonist shortage somewhat by building and capturing coastal Centers of Trade, but Ming starts out with one of the biggest CoTs there is, and since you cannot split your own, getting new coastal CoTs isn't easy. Settsu is too close, Malacca, Bihar and Kutch won't have enough value to split until later in the game. The closest, eligible CoT for a split is usually Alexandria... :(

My argument for Colonial Ventures is that I can spend a couple of decades dealing with the nearby islands and coastlines, especially Ming's two colonizing missions (Taiwan and Derem). I'd also like a 'full house' of colonists for... later. We'll get to that eventually. :)

Australia, Indonesia, Western America...
Don't tempt me, now. :)

I'd take Siberia before a lot of those, though. Indonesia is very tropical, and colonies will take forever to grow to full size. Australia is usually out of reach until COTNW comes around, and America is too far away until much later in the game.

That said, I do intend to spread Mandarin to all those places. :)

What I want to know is

will noodles ever be served in the courts again? :(
Only time will tell. Noodles are a fickle dish, and the wise Emperor will approach them with caution. :)

How are you finding the wars in VH?

Why did you cancel the mission to colonise Deren? Don't you want to get rid of the that mission from the Chinese list so that you see the Oirat mission more often?

How are you doing spreading Hinduism?

and instead of questions, nice work some good gains while avoiding the worst of the big Hordes :D.

Part 07 - Trouble in Liaodong province

EU3_171.jpg
It is time to deal with Assam, and all their allies and guarantors. This includes Orissa, and our cavalrymen rush in to beat the Deccan infantry forces there. It's July 6th, 1437, and a war to clear up much of the remaining minor states bordering us is thus started.

EU3_172.jpg
The war brings the diplomatic mission to a failure, and we are again tasked with colonizing the northeastern frontier.

EU3_173.jpg
Bihar and their Center of Trade is absorbed into China.

EU3_174.jpg
The settlers reach Derem, and it again becomes imperative to get on the good side of the Oirats. Bundles of the finest silk are carted north.

EU3_176.jpg
Empress Harishu I proclaims the need for even more reforms into sciences. The call is well received, but only a poor Natural Scientist dares make his appearance at court, and is instantly dismissed.

EU3_179.jpg
With the aide of Deccan infantry, the fortifications of Cuttack falls quickly. Orissa, having humiliated Ming in two now almost forgotten wars for Arakan, are humbled into oblivion.

EU3_180.jpg
The now well-dressed Oirats once more look favorably to Ming. We'll see if that lasts once they find the coloration will come off in the wash and make their tightie-whiteies all pink. In the meantime, we must save Liaodong from the besieging Manchu forces.

EU3_181.jpg
Alas, we come too late - and too soon for the Oirat laundry cycle. Instead, our diplomats turn their eyes on Korea.

EU3_182.jpg
The astronomers look to the heavens, and we really wish they hadn't done so.

EU3_184.jpg
Tibet is trimmed down considerably.

EU3_185.jpg
September 30th, 1438 - Malacca comes under attack from Brunei. We answer the call, but unfortunately, Brunei is too inept to land forces in Malacca proper, instead heading for the Ming outpost in Sulu.

EU3_186.jpg
Lan Xang, greatly humbled, offers a complete surrender. The Empress accepts.

EU3_187.jpg
Abandoning pretenses towards Korea, we must again mend our ways with the Oirats. Large quantities of hemp clothes are sent north, as a compensation for the cloth ruined by the faulty silk.

EU3_188.jpg
Assam shall trouble us no further, and our hegemony over the area is now almost entirely unbroken.

EU3_189.jpg
Ming spies have succeeded - Sibir returns from oblivion, and immediately start combating Golden Horde peasants.

EU3_190.jpg
The Oirats are at peace, and we must again save Liaodong, this time from rebels.

EU3_191.jpg
Manchu is crushed, but perhaps not forever. Ever wily, there are rumors that Manchu nobles have begun ingratiating themselves within the very base of Chinese power. It might take them centuries to succeed in any way, though.

EU3_192.jpg
Brunei is forced to surrender lands. While not entirely ideal, this does provide us a foothold on Borneo, which we'll need.

EU3_194.jpg
Liaodong is saved, but some of the Manchu refugees have poisoned our relations with the Oirats. It is time for more gifts, and a rolling banquet of delicious roast pork and condiments is dispatched.

EU3_195.jpg
The feast completed, we are to remove rebels from Liaoxi.

EU3_196.jpg
Then, the royal astrologers come up with a strange misison, indeed. An alliance with Punjab, a Sunni state on the Timurid border? Curious, but also doable.

EU3_197.jpg
From the deep unknown, words of peace come through. Ceylon, the alliance leader for the defenders in the war against Assam at long last abandon hostilities. An eerie calm descends over China, save our great war exhaustion and many peasant riots.

Great update!
Are you going to expand north-east to russia or south-east to persia? Or both? Maybe you could try a rush to Finland in order to acquire a Latin neighbour.

Japan shall never be conquered! Except in WWM 3.3 where Korea invades all the time... Bah! Details!

Good sir, your strategies are remarkably unsavory... I approve...

I'm really curious about that Ryukyu Island selling theory, I'll be watching this to see how it pans out.

Your conquest is going at a breakneck pace with the Oirat Horde mission, good update.

How is the religous situation (number of missionaries/year, number of non-converted provinces)?

Also, I voted for your Teuton AAR in the 'Best Gameplay' category for the AAR Choice Awards.

PrawnStar, Ming doesn't have the range to colonize Deren by sea at this point in the game - he needed the land connection through Manchu, which I don't think he had when he canceled.

My guess is that the Latin border will be with the TO somewhere around Pskov. :) The vigorous push west is hard to explain if it isn't intended to give the westernization border.

I'm also very curious to know more details about how Ming is dealing with religion. I have my own game coming along fairly well (though not nearly this well!), but I find myself conflicted. The Oirat mission tells me "go forth and conquer stuff!" but my religion map indicates that a decade or two of quiet time to convert might be in order... Made all the worse by my 1/1/1406 start, since Zheng He discovered Africa, Europe, and the American west coast before he died - a conquest of Mexico in the 1420s is quite tempting, to get that area turned Hindu Chihan and cored before the Europeans even know America exists. But that would be even more drain on my missionary supply (as would a similar plan for Mutapa, Kongo, or the West Africans). Ming Cheese - so much to do, even China doesn't have enough resources for everything! :p

What's the centuries-long Manchu plot? Is there a decision to change tags in the 1600s or something?

Regarding the tropical provinces, do you have any plans to move the capital over into Burma or some such once the animist wave makes those provinces properly Chihan?

FEEDBACK

you are trying to build a golden bridge to europe? :D
Absolutely. By 'brute force', the shortest path to Europe is through Siberia and Russia to Finland.

How are you finding the wars in VH?

Why did you cancel the mission to colonise Deren? Don't you want to get rid of the that mission from the Chinese list so that you see the Oirat mission more often?

How are you doing spreading Hinduism?

and instead of questions, nice work some good gains while avoiding the worst of the big Hordes :D.
Early on, they weren't too bad... While both the Golden Horde and the Timurids were painful, I could survive. When I began bumping into Lucky Europeans, things changed. :)

I cancelled Deren simply because I needed the Oirat one. I figured I might as well gamble, and deal with another colony later.

Hinduism spread fairly easily in Chihan provinces - I only tentatively tried missioneering other cultures, since they'll likely get visits from animists at some point. I'll have a map soon.

And thanks. Mind you, the only reason the Golden Horde didn't crush me was that Poland/Lithuania/Muscowy/Novgorod and friends provided distractions at the far side. :)

Great update!
Are you going to expand north-east to russia or south-east to persia? Or both? Maybe you could try a rush to Finland in order to acquire a Latin neighbour.
Northwest towards Finland - that's the nearest Latin neighbor in number of provinces. Slugging through an intact Timurid Empire and then an Ottoman Empire is just... too painful. :)

West.

Unless you think China is the europe of the world.

You must accomplish what the mongols couldn't. The land of the rising sun must be put under the boot of chinese soldiers.
Japan is actually thriving quite well, even a hundred years into the game. They've been very friendly and pacifistic, so I've had little reason to torment them so far.

That'll change once I have a few tech levels on them and troops to spare, though. Trouble is that I have other, hostile neighbors that require a constantly vigilant army on the borders. :)

Japan shall never be conquered! Except in WWM 3.3 where Korea invades all the time... Bah! Details!
....Korea, invading Japan? Now, that's something I've never seen...

They're alive come 1500. I can't guarantee they'll still be there come 1600. :)

I'm curious as well as to where you are are going to seek out your first Latin neighbor.
The plan was Finland. Sweden is a nice, Latin country. They're also Lucky, so I figured they'd hold Finland until I got there - they might even had shortened the path.

Good sir, your strategies are remarkably unsavory... I approve...

I'm really curious about that Ryukyu Island selling theory, I'll be watching this to see how it pans out.
Ryukyu isn't being very cooperative, I'll say that much. So far, they've not sent missionaries anywhere. I know they have them, and I know they have the cash reserves - heck, they even get missions to convert provinces. Still, nada. I'm figuring I'll have to boost their economy some more first - sell them more land.

Hrm... Maybe it's time to trim down Japan a bit. ;)

Your conquest is going at a breakneck pace with the Oirat Horde mission, good update.

How is the religous situation (number of missionaries/year, number of non-converted provinces)?

Also, I voted for your Teuton AAR in the 'Best Gameplay' category for the AAR Choice Awards.
The problem with conquering fast is the ridiculous amounts of rebels you get - and given my religious choices, revolt risk simply won't die down until they've been through the animist-reconversion cycle. I'm hoping to make everything continental and east of India tranquil by 1600. I'm somewhat optimistic.

To put things in perspective - in 1500, I have about 300 regiments. I'd need almost twice as many to conquer unabated, and I can't really afford half. :p

And thank you for the nomination. Not sure if it's deserved, though. :)

U have annexed a lot of minors in this update.........all in all i think that u are consolidating your territory very,very fast:)........can we see a world map?
I'll have a world map for you in the 1450 status update - it's due soon.

yeah I wanna see one too

so can we expect the world conquered by 1600, seeing as how fast your going?
Given my situation at 1500 (where I'm currently playing), I'd say... no. I've found it nearly impossible to conquer faster than I can cope with rebels, and there has been lots and lots of rebels to deal with. Moreover, I'm spread out over five continents, and need large armies in all theaters.

Taking down a Lucky AI with 100 regiments and manpower/cash for a hundred more is... tough, especially when you have inferior units and tech. I can't even imagine the hurt I'm in for - but I currently operate under 'if you can't beat them, join them'. ;)

PrawnStar, Ming doesn't have the range to colonize Deren by sea at this point in the game - he needed the land connection through Manchu, which I don't think he had when he canceled.

My guess is that the Latin border will be with the TO somewhere around Pskov. :) The vigorous push west is hard to explain if it isn't intended to give the westernization border.

I'm also very curious to know more details about how Ming is dealing with religion. I have my own game coming along fairly well (though not nearly this well!), but I find myself conflicted. The Oirat mission tells me "go forth and conquer stuff!" but my religion map indicates that a decade or two of quiet time to convert might be in order... Made all the worse by my 1/1/1406 start, since Zheng He discovered Africa, Europe, and the American west coast before he died - a conquest of Mexico in the 1420s is quite tempting, to get that area turned Hindu Chihan and cored before the Europeans even know America exists. But that would be even more drain on my missionary supply (as would a similar plan for Mutapa, Kongo, or the West Africans). Ming Cheese - so much to do, even China doesn't have enough resources for everything! :p

What's the centuries-long Manchu plot? Is there a decision to change tags in the 1600s or something?

Regarding the tropical provinces, do you have any plans to move the capital over into Burma or some such once the animist wave makes those provinces properly Chihan?
Yeah, and it sorta helps to see the province you're to colonize, too. I don't think I did, at this point. :)

If the Teutons had been in the area, they'd have done nicely - but as it happened, they had a bit of run-in with... just about everybody. So, Sweden it would have to be.

Oh, I'm definitely hurting for missionaries. Since I want to exploit animists, I couldn't afford converting much land ahead of time, so nearly everything I conquer is rebellious long after I've cored the area.

As for the plot... We'll see, come 1644. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a failure of their plotting. ;)

I hadn't really considered a move to Tropical lands - sure, that'd get rid of the modifier, but... I dunno if I want to do that. There are some things that even weird me out - but if I do, it'd probably be to Ceylon or something, so see if I could get a cultural assimilation and save Ryukyu some work. :)

Part 08 - Into Russia, With Loathing

EU3_198.jpg
True to our designated mission, we offer an alliance to Punjab. How our relations became good enough for these kinds of odds of acceptance, despite of our different religious groups, is beyond our comprehension. Still, waste not, want not.

Naturally, they cancel the alliance months later.

EU3_199.jpg
Still, for now it is valid, and again, our focus turns to the Oirats. It is clear their perpetual dinner party needs new furniture, and some delicate lacquerware is dispatched. It will take them months to discover the woodworms laying dormant inside.

EU3_200.jpg
Sadly, that marks the end of Empress Harushi I's long and blessed rule. Her eldest son, designating himself Hongxi I, assumes the Mandate of Heaven. Alas, growing up under his mother's long shadow, his only skill is talking himself out of trouble.

EU3_201.jpg
Nevertheless, he is a dedicated Hindu, and to facilitate the spread of Hinduism through the Chinese core lands, he hires a grand team of theologians. In short order, nearly all Chihan culture provinces and some of the provinces bordering them become Hindi lands. Perhaps some of those borderlands might voluntarily assimilate into Chihan culture provinces.

Missionaries are also sent to far-flung Sunni and Orthodox lands, to stabilize the edges of our empire until pagans make their way there.

EU3_202.jpg
From the west, news of a great war abound. Muscowy is a great power in their own right, and they are allied to Sweden and Poland/Lithuania. The Golden Horde is in for a grand fight - but that does leave their flank vulnerable.

EU3_203.jpg
Emperor Hongxi I wastes no time in taking advantage of this. On April 3rd, 1445, our forces begin flowing across the borders.

EU3_204.jpg
Their multifront war is disastrous to the Golden Horde's war capacity - but they are no pushover, even so.

EU3_205.jpg
Once more, Kazakh is let off with a minor tribute.

EU3_206.jpg
The same for Chagatai. Their ends will come soon enough.

EU3_207.jpg
Delhi, however, we have some designs for. Thus, the war with them continues. Unfortunately, some of the Horde frontiers have calmed down, and the pesky Muscowites reached the bridge province we so badly needed first.

EU3_209.jpg
When our expeditionary force stumbled upon the remnants of a large Horde army, our generals were lulled into believing the war almost over. If this was all the enemy could muster, the war would soon be over.

EU3_210.jpg
Delhi had annexed Bengal some years previous. Now, we divest them of their prize.

EU3_211.jpg
Muscowy secured Zavolochye, and the war rages on. We have barely some thirty thousand men in the area, but the Horde is clearly not yet defeated.

EU3_213.jpg
It is then that their Khan comes at us with full strength. In occupied Simbirsk, a fierce battle commences, but soon after it is all too clear it will be a defeat for Ming.

EU3_214.jpg
Emperor Hongxi I had hoped to wait for Muscowy to peace out, and perhaps claim Zavolochye. This is clearly not meant to be. However, we will have our border with Muscowy, and as it turns out, we get to further compartmentalize the demesne of the Golden Horde.

EU3_215.jpg
Explorers venture west, and contact with Muscowy is thus established. Sadly, they are not a minor, defenseless nation, as we had hopes for.

EU3_217.jpg
Despite that, and despite their allies, the Emperor decrees that we must continue our expansion west. March 6th, 1449, Ming declares war.

EU3_218.jpg
We start the war in a good condition, and Sweden, despite owning nearly all of Scandinavia, has trouble at home and a small army. Montenegro cannot reach us, but Poland and Muscowy alone have a considerable force. Our generals decide the best is to let the enemy come to us.

EU3_219.jpg
Muscowy wastes no time, and a massive battle in Kazan is the result. Their monarch is a solid military commander, but we manage to repel him with superior numbers. A pursuit starts immediately.

EU3_220.jpg
In Nijni-Novgorod, a new, great battle takes place. Worse still, the Golden Horde ferries sightseeing troops through the province continuously, increasing attrition to horrific levels.

EU3_221.jpg
In the end, we are forced to admit defeat, and pull back.

It is clear this will be a truly savage war.

Nasty looking war there!

If the Horde has reformed it can take some beating, the huge cavalry armies they support in VH are a problem.

So you're only converting the ChiHan and bordering provinces at the moment? I guess once you've westernised there's going to be a push for the middle east and the extra missionaries.

FEEDBACK

Nasty looking war there!

If the Horde has reformed it can take some beating, the huge cavalry armies they support in VH are a problem.

So you're only converting the ChiHan and bordering provinces at the moment? I guess once you've westernised there's going to be a push for the middle east and the extra missionaries.
It was quite nasty - and it lasted many, many years. Short of a war to completely break a mega-empire (Timurids, France, etc.), I don't think I'll have an as protracted war ever again. Terra Incognita is a fearsome thing to fight. :)

As my luck would have it, Golden Horde had not reformed when I fought them. The Timurids and the Mamluks reformed nearly at the beginning of the game, though, with the predictable fate for all nearby lands.

I only have so many missionaries as a Hindu nation, and only a few decisions to boost missionary rate. Mind, most of them also add global revolt risk, so... Ouch. As for the Middle East... Mecca and Judea will offer me nothing; to a Hindu, they're just 'regular' provinces. Rome still gives the usual boost, but as long as Castille, France, Milan, Austria and all those are Catholic or non-Ming'ed, I'm not exactly itching to conquer Rome. :)

Part 09 - March 1450 - 50 Years of Play Overview

March 1450 - time for a quick overview of the global situation. [size=-2]...and March, since I didn't catch on that I'd reached 1450 until a few months had passed.[/size] :eek:o

EU3_222.jpg
The Ming mainland. Yes, there are still some 'islands' in South East Asia, and I plan to deal with that eventually. First we need to finish with some more important projects out west, though. :)

EU3_223.jpg
The religious situation. We've kept our pagans, and have converted the core of our empire to Hinduism. Those provinces are unlikely to produce rebels - unlike every other province we own.

EU3_225.jpg
We still have our grand theologian court.

EU3_226.jpg
Short of the Aristocracy slider, we're still not in optimal placements. The greatest challenge is our desire to go Naval. We will need a large navy to fight the colonizing powers.

EU3_227.jpg
We have our standard mission. We're too technologically backwards still to have many decisions, but we do have a few.

EU3_228.jpg
We do have the greatest monthly income of nations we know about, though. Granted, there are many Europeans missing here...

EU3_231.jpg
Curiously, those Europeans are not missing on the army chart. Of the nations present, there should be no real surprises here, save perhaps England. Remember, France got the 'lucky' tag, as did Castille. England did not.

EU3_232.jpg
As for navies, Castille is sailing up in the lead. Ming is all the way down at third, and that's mostly due to our starting galleys.

EU3_233.jpg
144 provinces after 50 years of play. Not too bad. Not too good, either. The main thing slowing us down are rebels. Time is needed to 'digest' a region before moving on.

EU3_234.jpg
Half our empire is already Hindu, but nearly three quarters are non-core lands.

EU3_MAP_MNG_145033_1.jpg
The world at large. As you can see, the Timurid Empire is thriving, as is Sweden and England. Castille has taken nearly all of Iberia, making Portugal a non-factor in the colonial race - in fact, the Lisbon CoT is gone. The Mamluks are holding out, but the Ottomans are struggling.

I suppose the really funny thing here is France. Despite having the 'lucky' tag, they have not managed to kick England out of the continent - Calais, Gascogne and Saintonge are still English. Not bad for a 'non-lucky' England, that. Worse still for France, blockading tech is not that far off.

EU3_MAP_MNG_145033_2.jpg
Now, for our own borders... We have much land to conquer and settle. The northwestern war takes priority - we want to stretch our borders all the way to Swedish Finland. In terms of stepping stones, that's about the fastest way we can get a Latin neighbor - short of selling them Macau, or something - and we'd still need to find them in order to sell them anything. :)