View RSS Feed

Capibara's Blog and Stuff

Progressive Rock

Rate this Entry
So, it's time for a new blog entry. This time I'll talk about something different from my two previous entries. A friend of mine recently introduced to the magnificent world of progressive rock, one of the best music genres I've heard. The music this bands perform is great.Although I'm still a "newbie" in this, I've already heard some good bands, specially Italian, among them Premiata Forneria Marconi, or PFM, whom I had the luck to see a couple of days ago at the Book Fair here in Guadalajara, Il Balletto di Bronzo, their song La Tua Casa Comoda is superb. I've also heard so far Focus from Netherlands, Jethro Tull, Ange and of course Pink Floyd, among others. But I still have a lot to learn. So, who else in the forums likes progressive rocks? Any thoughts? Any bands you would recommend me?
Categories

Comments

There's some really great German progrock bands, especially Jane's first album Together. Amon Düühl and Birth Control are great too.
    Then there's the classics, Yes, Procol Harum, King Crimson and similar. Renaissance also did some really great prog albums, especially Ashes are Burning, but generally tended towards pop a little too much.
    Another band to really look into would be Camel. Oh, and if you don't mind, which Tull albums do you have thus far?
    I don't have any still, I mainly use youtube in order to hear them. I'm waiting until I return home so my friend can burn some of them for me. Any recommendations?
    For songs, you mean? Apart from Tull's Aqualung album, hmm... Ashes are Burning or At the Harbour by Renaissance, Birth Control's Gamma Ray, Jane has only a few of Together on youtube, I think Hangman is there in one rather mediocre live performance.
    For King Crimson, anything from In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks Tongues in Aspic (both the album and the songs), I'm especially fond of part two, Red.

For Tull, I really love their Folk era up to Heavy Horses, which is one of their best, imo, but the third one, Stormwatch, is bland. Their later more hard rock-y sound is kind of hit and miss, as are some of their most prominent era, like Warchild, Passion Child and Too Old to Rock n Roll.
    Thanks! I meant albums , so I can get them as soon as I am back home.
    Pink Floyd is better.
    Let me introduce you to the greatest band ever

Nightingale!

Your welcome

(by the way, great site for prog noobs)

asd
    @Fijj: No, it's not. Floyd is good, but definitely not better.

Another a few albums to look into would be Genesis classic era (with Collins on drums), early Collins on vocals, in albums, Nursery Crime through Trick of the Tail. All of this era's albums have a good distinctive Prog feel and sound.

And then there's Marillion, of which pretty much any album is good, though I prefer the first four. They generally tended a little too much towards eighties pop, imo, but are great when playing prog rather than that.