• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tinto Talks #5 - March 27th, 2024

Welcome to the fifth Tinto Talks, where we talk about the design for our upcoming top secret game with the codename ‘Project Caesar.’

i9u3ksuIdrnkGRpoqqS569fPV4MxZiIUi177GzANdKN3-RRijYJv_VqMpBhjUTjsEVTaov9m4AGJ5-aoYxJ__2KR8XA1S5m-2GIUlxyKmAZCLzUNcgt-kHUYOdbcMAb8y5--BUUJRdSYo8jtzdTOfsc

The state is me! Oh, you meant E-state, sorry.. not me ..

Today we will go into detail about one of the core systems in the game, and talk about how estates work.

First of all, there are four estates in Project Caesar, which mostly map 1 to 1 with a social class: Nobility, Clergy, Burghers and the Commoners. There is also the Crown, which represents the state itself.

Each estate gains power based on the amount of population belonging to the estate, which is also modifiable by local attributes of where the population is, where some nobles may have very high power in a certain area, or whether a specific city has entrenched burgher rights there.

TG6PPAx_7XDWjJZ3JTatHNPtlwP2FtURWHBHR8r7CTRmwKGJRCv8p5yIh_3aASZtpA1Qb4OrqmBlmf3HGTWMJ1bQjS88o-fskeoBVbTIfrBMNx-HwPTOg4F9GqPSJhLCgwWLeWBBAyET3HfuPwSxZUQ

This is the estates part of the government view, where you can see their power, current satisfaction, the equilibrium its trending toward, and what privileges it currently has.

Every 1,000 nobles gives +50 estate power to their estate, while 1,000 peasants merely give +0.05 estate power as default. Then these are modified locally in every location, as mentioned above, and then in the entire country by laws, reforms and most notably the privileges that you have given the estates.

The total power of all the 4 estates and the crown then together all add up to 100%, which is the effective power they have.

Depending on your crown power, you either get a scaling penalty or scaling bonus, on aspects like the cost of revoking estate privileges, the cost of changing policies in laws, the efficiency of the cabinet, the expected costs of the court, and other things. If your crown power is weak, you need to have the estates really satisfied, or you will not get much out of any parliament you try to call.

Each of the four estates has a current satisfaction and an equilibrium it will move towards. Some estates, and some countries, will have the estate satisfaction moving quicker to the equilibrium than others. Each estate has 2 factors per type of estate in which their satisfaction impacts the entire country, where satisfaction above 50% gives a scaling bonus, and below, a scaling penalty.

If the satisfaction is below 25%, this estate will not provide any levies. Most importantly, the estate satisfaction also impacts the satisfaction of the pops that belong to that estate, possibly creating rebel factions or even civil wars.
  • Nobility impacts your prestige gain and your counterespionage.
  • Clergy impacts your research speed and your diplomatic reputation.
  • Burghers impact your merchant power and the production efficiency.
  • Commoner impacts your food production and your stability costs.

So what impacts the satisfaction equilibrium of an estate? The privileges they get, the current stability, some reforms may impact them, some laws may, how you tax them, and much more. Some examples include clergy being happier with higher religious unity or burghers liking having more market centers in your country.

# estate privileges
Estate Privileges then? You may feel forced to grant privileges to estates to be able to tax them more, and you may be forced to grant privileges to get their support in parliament. All privileges impact the power of their estate, and many also increase their satisfaction equilibrium. They all have some impact on gameplay fitting the privilege, and often they also impact a societal value of their country.

fmFONeiCiTYVPVVKLr3mV8LxsRBW4VjWQN0JAuGUKG7CBTOSDXah48Os_Iv-jBZwHEatySoLTvPwr0J-XphLB-2xRNp1i5XrNaQyhDgTZ0IRhpXBMU_nJ5G8z5urGGJ9JHPkRXF4kusffvpmCxVgKsw

WiP ui, temporary graphics and no icons etc.

There are many different privileges, and many unique ones depending on where and what type of country you play.

We mentioned taxes before, and while this is not the development diary where we go into details about the economic system, it is important to mention that the estates of a country have wealth that is increased by the amount of money that you have not taken from them in taxes. Rich estates will use their wealth on many things, primarily to invest into things that benefit them, but will often also build things that also benefit the country.

Next week we will talk about a few new concepts that are rather new to this game that have not been present in previous games, as we will talk about proximity, control and maritime presence, all concepts that need to be talked about in detail, before we go into the economy system.

• 287Like
  • 168Love
Reactions:
The only drawback I can see is the coexistence on the map of two similar names, the “eastern” Roman Empire and the reformable tag of the (Western) Roman Empire, which was still very present in the European culture of the time even until Napoleon
That could totally be manage with the decision to restore Rome as changing the name of the eastern portion to Byzantine Empire
Or have a dynamic naming system where if a Western European tag forms the Roman Empire, the eastern half will have "Eastern" stitched onto their name and "Western" for the European one. If one of these tags are annexed then the Western/Eastern dichotomy will be removed for the survivor half.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm glad to see estates return in an improved way.

A quick look at the UI : Instead of having pie charts for happiness, I would prefer a unique pie chart showing the amount of power each estate has, with maybe the crownland more in evidence.

Otherwise, while that's not a big issue for me, I think the UI would need a bit more polish.

The equilibirum being shown directly is very welcome, as that was a value I was constantly in the tooltip to check, since it's arguably as important as the current happiness of each estate.

That being all said, I hope the cultural and religious mechanics allow us to see multicultural and confessionnal countries. One thing that would have been neat would have been to divide the clergy estate in the numerous recognized religious structures of the country.

I shouldn't be too demanding, though. This is already a clear upgrade over EUIV, especially taking into account that estates, based on pops, can do things on their own.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
@Johan how does this estate system work with competing religious and cultural groups within the same country? How would the singular clergy estate represent both Catholics and Protestants during the Reformation, etc.?

Reactions:
I have few thoughts and questions about Project Ceaser.

T1-) My first thought is that Anatolian Beyliks need to have special system or army. This is because their conquest of Anatolia and raids based on Akinjis after 1071 (Battle of Manzikert). And also it contiuned to Balkan and Carpathia Region with Ottomans until beginning of1600.
T2-) Secondly, you mentioned power of nobilities and estates so, I think we need to be able seeing noble families or choosing duties like Imperator Rome or CK3.
T3-) My last thought is that some countries or goverment types need to special migration abilities. For example Hordes can force to migrate population when they razed or even their own population. Maybe Beyliks or Spanish nation can have special ability to increase their own population or assimilation.

Q1-) How many languages will be suppporting language in this Project Ceaser?
Q2-) Can you produce more music for gameplay ?
Q3-) You said we will see location and region and non all them are urban so can we expect to city security system?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Johan how does this estate system work with competing religious and cultural groups within the same country? How would the singular clergy estate represent both Catholics and Protestants during the Reformation, etc.?
My guess would be that wrong religion/culture pops either don't contribute any power to their respective estate, or contribute a reduced amount of power. This can then be modified by laws, reforms, and privileges. For example, a nation that has embraced religious pluralism would have all clergy pops contribute fully to the clergy estate power calculations.

Reactions:
A quick look at the UI : Instead of having pie charts for happiness, I would prefer a unique pie chart showing the amount of power each estate has, with maybe the crownland more in evidence.
By the way, that's how I would see the crownland being represented in that hypothetical power donut-chart. The crownland would be in place of the 20%. I would like that because it would give you at a glance how you "dominate" the estates.
1711640973703.png

there is a chance for those yes.
Crown privileges arguably were the very first privileges. Perhaps they should better be regarded as "immunities"? Under weak monarchs crown privileges were eroded; under strong monarchs crown privileges were restored. In England the mechanism for the latter, and sometimes the former, were usually parliaments. An example is the back-and-forth battles between the jurisdiction of seigneurial courts run by the nobles in their demesnes, and the jurisdiction of the royal "common law" courts run by the monarch always trying to expand toward monopoly. Another is the "anti-noble" alliance between the monarchy and the towns given "royal charters" to economically separate them from the noble families that founded or controlled them. The privileges ("liberties") of such towns are given special mention in the 1215 Runnymede peace treaty; and the 1217 (and subsequent re-enactments of) "Magna Carta".

Alternatively, perhaps current crown power could act as some kind of negative modifier against the prospects of other estates trying to expand their own? Just a thought.

Anecdote: one interesting outcome of the privileges struggle was the AngloSaxon common law concept of "time immemorial", which came to mean (and still does mean) the year 1189. That was due to Edward I's aggressive late-13th century attempts to eliminate most noble privileges, i.e. claims by nobles that their privileges had existed since time immemorial, by saying "prove it or lose it, with documents". After a few years of serious noble revolts over this absurdly recursive proposition, and tsunamis of forged documents, the parties compromised with the more relaxed proposition "if you can prove simply that your family has exercised the privilege since the first year of Richard I's reign, 1189, then the Crown will accept that as evidence that the privilege has existed since time immemorial". :)

Finally, it's amusing that just three sections of Magna Carta 1297 have not been repealed and are still good law (though too vague now to be justiciable). Every single one of them confirms privileges: Section I for the clergy and non-serfs; IX, for the burghers; and XXIX, intended for the nobles (noting that "free men" meant essentially the Norman aristocracy: the English at the time mostly being serfs and thus not included;)). Check it out here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/aep/Edw1cc1929/25/9/data.xht?view=snippet&wrap=true

• 2Like
Reactions:
Since @Johan was playing Aragón, I was wondering how situations such as Sardinia (a papal fief given to the king of Aragón, but still controled by Pisa and Genoa and which Aragón would have to conquest, and it took a century) will be represented in the game.

Reactions:
2nd post asking for a formable Minoan civilization with flavor
This is fantasy-tier althist.

It's safe to say that literally nobody on Earth knew anything about Minoan society in 1337 AD, since it vanished into total obscurity fairly soon after meeting its demise.

Even the finest of modern archaeology has been unable to tell us what language they spoke or how their society was structured.

It might be quite a fun mod, but it's really not suitable subject matter for official game content.

• 14Like
Reactions:
I have an idea for something I would love to see in this game, which I have not seen done well anywhere before. I have 1500+ hours in EU4 and I find it silly that my nation is willing to fight just as hard on the offense as on the defense, for a cleansing of heresy as for a trade conflict, or against the one province minor next to me or the entirety of Europe in a coalition war. I want to introduce the ideas of War Expectations and Existential Threat.

Existential Threat:
Existential Threat should produce bonuses for defending countries. Nations should generally fight harder on the defense than on the offense. As an example, in the systems used in EU4 this could manifest in more manpower recovery speed [from a pop more willing to enlist], lower army maintenance [from a pop willing to be paid less to defend their homeland], or even higher supply limit [from a pop more willing to share with local soldiers]. But different war goals will also differently effect the willingness of the population to fight. A population may not be as enthusiastic in its defense of the conquest of a province of a non-accepted culture group whose pops aren't in the cabinet/leadership of the nation. Meanwhile, a theocracy with a powerful Clergy estate may have a population that regards a "cleansing of heresy" CB as an existential threat, allowing rapid mobilization. In another scenario, the population of a country with a nobility estate at odds with its peasantry/countrymen may regard an attack from a member of the same culture group as more of a "change of management" rather than an existential threat to its existence. I think that defenders should always get some bonus, nations when attacked often rally to the flag, but the degree of this bonus should be modified by the attitudes of the population towards their government, the CB, the opposing nation's culture/religion, etc. There is historical precedent for the perception of existential threat being important to defenders, just look at Ukraine for a modern example.

Existential Threat perception also provides a fantastic opportunity to tie in with Aggressive Expansion. In EU4, AE either matters a lot (Ottomans join your coalition with -51 AE) or not at all (Ottomans don't join your coalition at -49 AE). Players who aggressively expand accumulate much more AE, which would bump up the existential threat calculation of defenders. This provides a mechanism to slow down the feed-forward loop of conquest and expansion. This could be supplemented by feeding in other systems, like making it so taking non-claimed land in a peace deal gives more AE (in addition to current rules about co-belligerents), or how taking land from a nation's primary or accepted cultures dramatically increases their threat perception of your nation in future conflicts.

War Expectations:
Whereas existential threat perception is mainly about buffing the defenders, war expectations can provide a scaling debuff to the attackers over time. There have been many times when more powerful nations have considered the act of enforcing their will on a weaker neighbour to be a "mere matter of marching". Whether it was the Americans in the War of 1812, or again Russia in its war on Ukraine. I would like to see the rate at which a "call for peace"-like mechanic accrues to be far greater when declaring war on a tiny nation than when fighting giga Spain. Pops would reasonably have different expectations of how these two conflicts should progress. This also creates an opportunity for skill expression, as experienced players are able to fight wars more efficiently and more in line with the expectations of their populations, thus suffering fewer of the penalties of a call-for-peace-type mechanic.

Playing into other systems:
I think that the twin systems of Existential Threat and War Expectations would increase the immersion of players into the game. Pops would feel like real things that have opinions based on their values and what matters to them (culture, religion, nationalism, etc.). The added benefit is that rapid expansion would become more challenging, especially as players accumulate AE, slowing down snowballing and extending the interesting part of the game. Obviously this system would need to be tuned so that, no matter how threatening the two province minor on your border considers you to be, you can still crush them when you control the whole subcontinent, I'm not suggesting that every war should become the defense of Helm's deep. However, this system would provide interesting opportunities for players to make strategic decisions about which CBs they use against which nations, or which provinces they take in a peace deal. Furthermore, you could give players tools to mitigate their perceived threat level. Maybe if you keep your peasantry super happy, when you invade a country where the peasantry is powerful but unhappy then the defenders get fewer bonuses because actually their peasants are convinced they'd be better off if you won. Threat level could even play into a nations' willingness to sign peace. I don't think threat level should affect warscore costs, but to use the EU4 analogy, it should affect the time until a combatant flips to 'low' attitude and is willing to give you 20 more warscore worth of land than you have actually earned.

Anyway, I think these systems would add to the realism of the game and fill a void that exists in EU4 where going to war is completely disconnected from what your people or your enemies' people think of you and your nation and want for themselves and their country. In EU4, war is completely a top-down decision, and all wars are the same, simply being modified by "75% cost" or "25% AE" for a reconquest. In EU "Project Ceasar", where it seems that the devs are trying to make the wishes of the population manifest throughout the games systems, I would like to see systems like what I have described integrated into warfare beyond the simple ability to levy troops, which is all that has been mentioned thus far.

• 6Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Loving the weekly diaries.

With so many big empires like Byz and the hordes ready to fall will there be some kind of "Rise and fall" mechanic to make it work or will it all be scripted events ?

Speed 5 in all current PDX games unlocks the game to run as fast as your computer can process it
fairly certain that in EU4 the game speed is still limited by the game engine itself when considering newer CPUs

like i have a 7800X3D and yet on speed 5 the game is as fast as my old CPU, although the 7800X3D is faster than that one

Reactions:
fairly certain that in EU4 the game speed is still limited by the game engine itself when considering newer CPUs
Speed 5 turns off the in-engine tick rate limiter.

What remains, then, is "the game has more serialism in its design than we would like and so as long as you've got at least four cores then the main driver of tick rate is single-core performance".

Reactions:
Since @Johan was playing Aragón, I was wondering how situations such as Sardinia (a papal fief given to the king of Aragón, but still controled by Pisa and Genoa and which Aragón would have to conquest, and it took a century) will be represented in the game.
Sadinia mostly fell to Aragon following the Siege of Genoa that happened a couple of years prior to the new starting date, though of course it wasn't smooth sailing.