• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tinto Talks #11 - 8th of May 2024

Welcome to another Tinto Talks, and now we are up to the eleventh of these about this super secret game! This time we talk about military matters, and the differences between levies, mercenaries, and regular regiments.

But first..

Today, we at Paradox Tinto are releasing our Winds of Change expansion for EU4! Check out the video my team made at

And if the launch goes well, I can ask the team to start the map feedback posts later this week!

Military Organization
While there is a very large number of different types of units, they all belong to one of four different categories: Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery, or Auxiliary. Infantry is usually the bulk of most armies, and the other categories have specific roles in a campaign.

The size of a regiment varies over time, with the earliest Infantry Regiments using 100 men, while at the end of the game, there are around 3,200 men in each infantry regiment. Cavalry, Artillery, and Auxiliary units have different sizes.

We also categorize a regiment as either a levy, a mercenary, or a regular regiment. Any army can freely rearrange those into any stack they want, and split up their regiments as the player sees fit. So if you want to have half of a mercenary company in one army and the other in another army, then that is perfectly fine in this game.

PY1i0QRMAuYEsej-5zpt_7lZMxXLLCCBPTddUNCRR9GQ3qDpT2Eta_rsPp1z80rKS4IG-Mtn4NJ5RlX9wOnuLziEx6j4XoD4CNCoiWuo8uO6vGEWtXnFSnPBqaQpg_-0E_qhfpPpLmwWngETkCafyhU

This is a unique cavalry unit from the first age that some cultures have access to.

Levies
First of all, we have levies, where you can raise your able-bodied fighting men into a fighting force. This provides you with a lot of people who can fight for you, but the levies have a few slight drawbacks. First of all, you can only raise them when you are at war or facing rebels. Secondly, when you raise your levies those pops you raise them from are decreased in size to represent the pops going off to war, and any dead men in a levy is population permanently lost.. Speaking of that, levies do not spawn with any experience to speak of, and you have no direct control over the type of units you get. Another slight drawback is that levies do not reinforce during a campaign either. A province where the levies have been raised will also produce less food and raw materials.

You can either raise all your levies, or from any province individually.

lwc36qKfMap3fnpoARbRdADpd8skxjGquMLJCP0dAWPJYJN1yQSuqzwvosm7_KOrblhYUzs8DKJmdaZDNBaD3d8mr9JG--0FZIRoYX67JGbUWbTi7sok6qUUVNGFEWJ1Cd8Pcg9E7N-GY8J_mknwuq8

Raising all able-bodied men in the Kingdom of Sweden will get us 12,000 men!

Mercenaries
There are many mercenary companies available in the world, and each area has at least a few possible to recruit. However, these are not endless free manpower, as other nations may be recruiting them before you can. A Mercenary Company signs up for at least a 2-year contract, but you can extend the contract if you so desire. More on how mercenaries can be recruited in a later talk.

Regular Regiments
Your regular army consists of the regiments that you do not want to disband and they require manpower to recruit. This recruitment can not be done everywhere though, as you need special buildings to allow recruitment of military units. Usually, these are the same type of buildings that also provide you with manpower. As the ages go by, you go from only some special buildings providing a minuscule amount of manpower to being able to build Conscription Centers in your core culture locations.

Manpower
Speaking of manpower, in Project Caesar this is primarily generated by buildings. Now you may ask, why do we need manpower when we have pops? Well, for us, manpower represents the more or less semi-trained men that can be used in a military force. And what is important, whenever a regiment loses strength, be it from attrition or combat, you will lose pops as well.

qk_-5EwQtnABoUMucSmUNjHMQp9Tx-5GU5-rJxVpAvnycVXmoZ98GxRoRbTg5oeaDXxB-zYf5U2wvZfQ0xY3rxC9o4pEuXLn1-eMEntbS4raoALAdTzlGXhi2UMk04gnB48g6s15eDc88VcngS2NmBU

This is a unique building for Mongol steppe hordes.

One other aspect to take into account when it comes to manpower is that Project Caesar does not have force limits, but instead, you are limited by how many regiments you can maintain. Every regiment requires some manpower each month to maintain the current level of troops.

It also requires a fair amount of goods each month, and if it does not have access to it, morale will drop, and it will not be able to reinforce or maintain its current strength.

As you may have noticed in some of the screenshots above, units do have a fair bit of unique attributes. There are some common ones for your entire country.
  • Discipline, which impacts damage taken and damage done.
  • Military Tactics, which impacts damage taken.
  • Army Morale, which impacts how long your armies are willing to fight before breaking.
  • Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery & Auxiliary power, which impacts damage done for that category.

There is also the Army Tradition, which is gained primarily from the average experience of your armies, which can be increased by drilling them, and impacts the morale & siege ability of your armies, while also slowly pushing you towards land on the land vs naval societal values.

This is not everything related to military, as we have a talk about the navies, a talk about logistics and a talk about our combat system planned as well.

Next week, however, we will be back with something completely different, and rather new and unique features.,

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 243Like
  • 147Love
Reactions:
When pops of a province die, do they get taken from the locations equally, or are rural areas prioritised over more urban areas?

What constitutes mercenaries? What happens when their regiments die? Where is their manpower sourced from?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will the pops used for deceased manpower only be taken from the Peasants or also from the other Estates?

I.E.:
Pikemen would be from the peasants
Jannisaries would be from the enslaved
Knights would be from the nobility
Idk maybe Shaolin monks from the Clergy
Merchant ships from the Burghers
Etc.

Does it work like that?
The slave pops of this game wouldn't accurately represent jannisaries, since they don't have political power and are poor. Jannisaries were slaves but were extremely influential.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
yes, it will be 0, and no you cant drill levies
Did/will you consider introducing ideas/societal values/you-name-it that will allow raising levies that are more "trained" or with better morale, perhaps at the expense of lower pool of regulars? To reflect countries that base their defence strategy on levies and/or mercenaries vs regulars.

Can we assume if there are events for Timur, there will be Isabella, The Tudors and so on from EU4?

I was one for dynamic rulers over historical in EU3. I think it was more about the generals though. Imagine being limited to historical generals..

The issue I had like CK is the names were too random. EU even gave them weights. History itself here is kind of lame too though, since people would just name their heir after themselves..

• 2Like
Reactions:
Morale, discipline and CA modifiers confirmed
View attachment 1129538
Not sure why anyone would expect anything else. These are modelling very real effects. The problem with modifiers in EU4 are usually where they come from, not the fact that they exist.
Is the manpower you raise for armies directly your pops or is manpower some abstraction where the more pops you have the more manpower you gain per month. And if units take damage will you lose pops?

Hello Johan:
Regardind military units.

There are special units in this game ? Perhaps some unique for some nations?

Best regards.
It's kind of sad to see how there are people who seemingly can't even be bothered to read the dev diary before posting questions. It happens like every week :(
What is the benefit of moving these to a different file? Is it really better to have all demands for military units in one file, rather than having each unit's demand right there with the rest of the unit?
It makes allows them to use the same costsbfor different units, which is a huge benefit the moment you want to rebalance things. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot when something doesn't work as expected.
lol no that's not how it works

I mean I can see a benefit for sure. If I wanted to make a mod that adds more military goods, I'd only need to edit the scripted values file with demand/maintenance instead of touching unit balance, but on the other hand, I can also see it as being annoying when you want to rework something completely.
On the contrary, it effectively makes it easy to reuse the same code when wanted instead of having to enter the same decimal numbers correctly multiple times.

A horse archer regimemt reduces the pool by 1 MP each month.
So project Caesar does have Mana Points!

And if the launch goes well, I can ask the team to start the map feedback posts later this week!
Everyone! Quickly delete your bug reports so that the team can start the map feedback! (I'm joking, please report any bugs as normal)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Will wages play a role in attracting people to join the regulars or will commoners always join whenever the barracks is expanded?

Will burghers have any role with some sort of officer corps?

Reactions:
yes, timur will be in.
putting in the other ones (napoleon, isabel for castille the list can go on) would be cool too. Some tag-specific flavour that isn't a tag-specific mechanic but rather an extra bit of fun, that isn't hard to implement and gives a sense of uniqueness to each nation. An added bonus is it makes players want to play till later (i.e. napoleon in the 1800's)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes. People die.

Would we still have those events like "The Weeping Song" with options about how to deal with those who survive (including families of those who die)? It was quite typical that an area ravaged by war got temporary tax exemptions, for example. I guess that could be done manually (if having a lower tax helps a location self-develop), but I guess war exhaustion may be a factor in project Caesar. E.g. if a regiment is recruited from location X and suffers heavy losses in a war, happiness of related pops may not only decrease, but get some agenda of claiming privileges to the player. I guess keeping manpower as a quantity besides population makes it more natural. You can force a bellicose player to chose between giving in to request (keeping manpower capacity in a location but suffering temporary economic penalties) or resist (suffering temporary manpower penalties that you may not want during a war).

Is it possible (maybe via modding) to have, say, horse archers ONLY take manpower from the Mongolia/Central Asia region? Or is that not possible with the current system? It does kind of defeat the purpose of abstraction, but I can imagine plenty of opportunities it could be useful.

How I understood it is it will still be 3000, but replenish really slow due to the monthly manpower upkeep. So you could stockpile manpower if you can afford to build and maintain your standing army before the war, but take too many casualties and you'll run out quickly even then. It's gonna be a fine balancing act for sure.
Thinking about it, it does make sense in a more indirect way, if the upkeep is 1 mp per 100 men across every unit type, then with a 5k army raised you'd spend 50 mp on upkeep, meaning the whole building would be used to maintain that army, and 5k is exactly the number of pops working it. So it does align in the end.

In a situation where you raise 3k, then wait for the building to replenish more 3k for you to raise, netting you an army of 6k (exceeding the pops working the building), you'd have an upkeep of 60mp, meaning you went overcapacity, which might get you out on a pinch, but isn't sustainable long term.

I can see this as extending recruitment to normally ineligible peasants, but it's a "borrow" of mp which you will eventually have to settle.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Code:
a_steppe_horse_archers = {
    category = army_cavalry

copy_from = a_age_1_traditions_cavalry
    max_strength = 0.1

morale_damage_done = 0.2
    initiative = 5

movement_speed = 1.0

combat = {
        grasslands = 0.2
        sparse = 0.2
    }

maintenance_demand =  steppe_horse_archers_maintenance
    construction_demand = steppe_horse_archers_construction

gfx_tags = { archer_tag light_tag }
}
So units can have combat bonus depending on the vegetation, nice... Climate and topography too? (since a location's terrain is made of the triplet climate-topography-vegetation according to Tinto Talks #2).
Does this combat bonus not appear on the unit statistics screenshot?

And second question: the screenshot shows initiative 8 but this code snippet shows initiative 5, same for the movement speed (3.5 vs 1.0), why is that? Are the values from a_steppe_horse_archers added on top of those from a_age_1_traditions_cavalry?

• 1Like
Reactions:
But why not just implement soldier pops and make it so that military buildings increase soldier pop conversion? It doesn't really make sense to me as to why fielding a huge standing army but not incurring any military losses would mean the nation has the same number of people working in buildings/farms/mines etc. With soldier pops, I feel like it would make a lot more sense and be simulated better in this regard. The manpower number could simply be a total count of soldier pops and how many regiments you can field.

Hey Johan why is the Nilgiris area in India uninhabited , it is an inhabited area , it's inhabited by mainly four tribes :- Todas , Kotas , Irulas and Kurumbas and Todas was in top of hierarchy and Todas are an interesting group it is believed that they went into isolation few centuries after Dravidian migration to south India so they didn't really integrate with native South Asian hunter gatherers , if you need any info there are books about them in glottolog .Other groups are not well recorded as Todas .

Does army distance from their Home area effect their reinforcement time? For example troops recruited in Egypt but located in Balkans should replenish slower than local Anatolian troops.

Also does AI in this game take advantage of others wars? For example if Ottomans have their armies fighting the Persians, will Serbians take advantage of that opportunity to attack the Ottomans in their Undefended Balkan provinces?

• 2Like
Reactions:
yes, you can do it per province
What I was trying to ask was, when raising levies, were you stuck with raising 100% of your possible levies the entire time? Would there be a way to raise say, only 50% or 20% if there wasn't a need for that many troops? Even if it were on a province basis, that functionality would be nice to limit the effects of both mobilisation, and losing pops.
Thank you for your earlier reply.

Reactions:
I am going to take the risk and say something that may get me downvoted, but I think it is something important to mention, especially to the MP community, so I hope the SP community can have some mercy.

All of this sounds interesting and realistic, but I want to ask if there is a mechanic that helps you recover from a war. This is a problem that I see in vic3, where 90% of the time it isn't worth it to go to war, so you stay all game afk building buildings and attacking undeveloped countries that can't do anything against you while avoiding any war that may be challenging. So you can avoid losing half of your population in a war and is going to stop you from snowball since population is what limits you at the end.

I hope you can add something like a "baby boom" mechanic so even if you lose half of your male population in a war, in 20 years your population can recover thacks to not losing your female population, this dosnt mane war isnt going to hearts since you are still going to suffer 20 years of less income and military weakness. but at least the others countries aren't going to snowball outside of your reach.

I hate when in eu4 you fight a war against another player for 20 years and after a pirric victory you get attacked by someone who was 20 years afk developing and building their country, and now you have to surrender and he makes a horrible peace asking for all your tradenodes... I just want to mention this so you can try to create a system where balance and interesting wars are encouraged and unilateral wars are not. I think the priority should be to make the gameplay fun, not necessarily realistic. Obviously, if it can be both, the better.

• 6Like
Reactions: