• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mood board & logos, by Art Director Paul Gautier

Hello everyone,

This is Paul Gautier, Art Director for Airport Simulator: First Class. I'm here to give you some news about our progress on one of the next airlines we want to release by summer with your help.
------------------------------------------------------------

We proposed you vote for this project, and the time has come to make a first progress report: You have chosen, with an overwhelming majority, a realistic airline, that is to say, an airline that will take and divert the codes of an existing airline, as I have explained here.

We had to determine which airline we wanted to take inspiration from. It's important to us that it's an airline of a certain size so that a large number of players know about it and have a chance to understand the reference. We also want airlines that are iconic to their countries, so that we can incorporate elements of those countries into the buildings that it will unlock in its Airline Pass.
So I took the list of the 50 largest airlines and removed those already behind Ara Sky, Gluck, Skyways, or Reis (and those in preparation in parallel).
Then I gathered around the table the different departments that could be concerned: the colleagues of Game Design and Production, in order to review the list and select our airlines. The purpose of the meeting was to choose the two airlines that would be put to a vote and to start brainstorming on their identities.

Once the two airlines are chosen, I move on to the mood board. This is a collection of images and iconic elements of the countries that I use to express and define the style chosen for the development of the artistic direction of the airline.

Here are the mood boards of the two companies for which you can vote.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 14.58.51.png
Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 14.58.42.png

Airline 1 / Airline 2

The next step is to find the name and the logo.
Since this is a realistic airline, I work from the logos of the airline we are inspired by. I also make sure that the colors and patterns are consistent with the mood board.
I do several iterations. Even if in the end I feel that one of them stands out more than the others, I present them to my colleagues, who bring me their opinions and remarks.
It's very important to have multiple eyes on this process to make sure my ideas work well with different people.

Here is the logo research on our two airlines:

Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 15.02.57.png
Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 15.03.05.png

Airline 1 / Airline 2

It's still a little early to have an idea of the full list of all the buildings that will come with the airline, but during the brainstorms, we can already get a good idea of some iconic buildings that will be associated with it, and I'm starting to work on them in parallel. They allow us to have a good idea of how the colors and logos will appear with our 3D buildings, and to start associating the services with the PAX of the company.

For the first company, which would be Spanish, our first idea was to have a tapas restaurant. As French people, we are very sensitive to the gastronomy of our neighbors, and we wanted to make this tribute to the Spanish culinary tradition.

Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 15.05.47.png

For the second company, because of its Singaporean origin, we had to take over the iconic waterfall at Singapore Changi Airport (SIN). This real vortex of rain, and the very dense vegetation that characterizes this airport, will be represented in the game. All the work now is to define its scale without breaking the terminal!

Capture d’écran 2023-04-13 à 15.07.15.png

Here are the two realistic options we have started to work on, but now it's up to you.

Vote from April 14th (10am UTC)

As promised, you will be able to vote tomorrow for the option you want us to pursue.

Will you choose the Spanish company (1) or the Singaporean company (2)?

You can vote either in the stories of our Instagram, which here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/airportsimulatorfirstclass/, or directly on our discord that you can join here https://discord.gg/VzMbWAk8Cz. The vote will start on Friday, April 14th and last until Monday, April 17th.

Once this choice is made, I'll see you in a few weeks. By then, I will have made progress on the aircraft that the company you have chosen will operate.
You will be able to vote again to choose its livery!

Last edited: