• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Extended Gameplay and Developer Commentary

Good evening Kindred,

Today in our Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 stream we shared exciting news about the game and our first extended gameplay trailer. On the stream, The Chinese Room (TCR) Community Manager Josh Matthews was joined by Alex Skidmore, Project Creative Director at TCR, who shared insights on the game, the narrative background and how the game plays. If you missed the stream, you can check it out below.

The gameplay stream contains several spoilers, and if you wish to avoid them, there are sections marked in the video timeline, or you can watch the trailer version of the gameplay video, which does not contain any major spoilers.

Full Video

Trailer Version (no major spoilers)

Bloodlines2_Concept_Art_ENV_Warehouse_Interior_MainRoom.jpg

Concept art from Willem’s warehouse.

What’s Next​

Following this extended gameplay video, we will go into more details on each of the four base clans in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, showing abilities and how to customize your playstyle.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
I assume that voice-acting is final rather than a placeholder?

The full version and trailer version appear to be the same video.

EDIT: They fixed it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The extended gameplay video has me even more excited for the game’s launch later this year. :bow:

I am also eagerly awaiting further details and insight into the initial four Bloodlines 4 Clans! Some outright 411 and some teasers? OUTSTANDING! : )

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I can't believe I'm saying this but the game that was revealed by Hardsuit Labs looked a lot better than what you guys revealed and even back then it did not really look good but at least it felt closer to the original game, had a more interesting plot and had better, lengthier dialogues.

Why call it Bloodlines 2 if it has NOTHING in common but its name with the original game ? I'm convinced you would have named this game anything else but Bloodlines 2 it would have been received a lot better.

And Unholy cow that Fabien is insufferable.

• 18Like
Reactions:
I think the combat and exploration looked really fun. Love the mobility and fast pace - great sense of vampiric power. I do think, however, that silence would have been better than Fabien's input. Annoying to have silence constantly filled.

Also, since we'll be combat feeding so frequently, could we have an option to stay in first person when combat feeding? So we can keep the combat experience seamless and immersive. We'll be bouncing to that third person view too often otherwise.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Combat does seem much improved compared to the original mid-budget game jank notwithstanding. Hopefully the telekinetic pull allows you to remain stealthy.

The feed prompt is very intrusive though.

Reactions:
Watched it, listened to some nostalgic music, had some cookies, and nice bath, and a cup of tea, and a bit of a lie-down. I am prepared.

... I like the map. It genuinely looks good.
It felt maybe a tad too large to me (a slight tediousness to return to the area of relevance already), and I think that visual clarity is too often sacrificed in modern games for the visuals - yes, a crammed warehouse might look like that in real-life, but it's a game. It sorta becomes a noisy background with unclear gameplay implications, forcing the stuff you want player to notice to having to either be extremely signposted (see newspaper) or get lost in the clutter, making searching every location absolutely tedious (looking at you, Starfield).
But this is not even complaining; it's a bit of a fine-tune of personal taste. Again: looks great as it is.

I also appreciate the fairly minimalistic HUD.
The button prompts are a bit too obnoxious, but obviously we'll be able to turn them off, right? (/provocative ^^). I'd also like to think that if you don't play with a controller, the HUD adjusts, but who knows. But anyway. Generally: fairly minimalistic HUD. Good. Customization towards what the player uses or wants (different controllers, extra prompts/no extra prompts) etc., even better.

... now, first look at the new combat. I ... don't think it looks particularly good. Or "visceral". It looks "okay". The Gum Gum no Gatling punch looks right out of One Piece, though I'm not sure that's actually avoidable. The fight didn't feel very dynamic; the enemies borderline looked like linearly approaching punching bags. You then get a plain "normal/strong" attack combo, uh. I don't know. Honestly, I felt vaguely reminded of, say, the Bloodlines 1 garage fight (or maybe the train yard), if you go and just murder everyone. Better hit feedback, but not sure anything else does all that much.

I'd also say there's slightly too many enemies, and they already felt very clone-y (forgivable for the doll-types), plus the whole "big guy with strong attack" enemy type telegraphing (is this a serious game or not?). Usual caveats about alpha versions blabla who knows the rest of the game yaddayadda apply of course. Just, you know, an observation on what was specifically picked to be shown here.

Constantly being torn out of your immediate view with repeated animations of special actions (and also in dialogue ...) is just a bad technique; I really hope that's not done. BL1 had this too; there's only so many times you can watch the same singular feeding animation before it gets really cartoonish.

But, okay. So combat's kinda eh, at least to me, but probably nobody really expects too much here, so kinda within tolerances?

Unfortunately the rest ... urgh, that just remains depressing as the glimpse previously was.

Absolutely obnoxious Fabian AND(!!!) player. ->I<- am supposed to be playing this game. ->I<- am not sitting there having that need to comment on every stupid piece of scenery with an inane comment because ->I< am seeing that piece of scenery. I know what I think about it, if I think anything about it.

If you really want the player to not be their own protagonist, then just come out and say it. People hate Phyre already anyway. Might as well sink that ship altogether ...
... incidentally, have you followed the Gothic 1 remake? Were they did that inanely talking protagonist thing too? They ended up scrapping everything from their playable teaser over player reactions among other bits to this specifically.

The dialogue system still looks awful, and although of course it's far from clear, it seems unclear you can actually affect anything.

The writing - even aside from the inane commentary of both Fabian (still treating the player like an idiot) and Phyre - remains questionable. Specifically the way "the Nosferatu" keeps so stupidly obviously talking about "he" just to ... pretend this is some sort of mystery we're supposed to care about?! Even when asked directly, he's still vague about it, for no good reason. And then revolving in that "dramatic revelation" - that guy is standing there with a suicide vest on, and a phone in hand. Come on.

I'd also say that things like the generic classic music feel, well, just that. Kinda stereotypical for that sorta scene. Certainly not memorable, or particularly imaginative. In general, this wastes a lot of the atmosphere that might have been possible here.

It's concerning that this "extended gameplay" showcase shows absolutely nothing about any sort of RPG responsiveness; any sort of dialogue skills, actual different quest paths, anything.

It's a bit insulting (or whatever the word for that is) that there's this "pretend QA" that's just there to have a bit of an extra marketing chat at the end. If you want to talk a bit more about stuff, perfectly okay, but let's not pretend those are some sort of "questions players have". They are prompts to talk about very specific things the devs want to talk about at this stage. It's a different thing.

In summary, I feel the game - or this showcase - gets some things right that I don't care very much about, and then gets everything wrong that, crucially, made Bloodlines 1 a great game and that I still do care about.

The impression that this will be a shallow, quite linear action game with (ironically?) probably quite mediocre action, thus not actually satisfying people who do want an action game, and definitely not satisfying people who are looking for a Bloodlines 1 sequel (crazy, I know) on account of basically featuring nothing of BL1.

Of course, as usual; who knows what the complete game really is. Could be like Obsidian showcasing Avowed recently; everyone going "is this just going to be a clunky action game?!" and then the next showcase at least somewhat showing inkling that there might be some RPG somewhere in there, in reaction to that. But eh; only so much I can buy everything else being completely different from this part ^^

• 15Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
I have to say that I've always had that game on the edges of my radar range for new upcoming games within universes that I like. Now, World of Darkness is a huge universe with a lot of potential lore and otherwise and one of the reasons why I loved the first game.

However, recent gameplay through raised a lot of red flags for me. First, I couldn't miss the view, it seems like this game will be 1st Person game, and it will not offer 3rd Person, which is a direct immersion break for me, and a huge red flag.

Second, the graphics didn't look appealing to me. I have to say that those graphics seem very low quality. Those stone-cold facial expressions are another thing that makes me shiver. Don't mix that up with the cold-blooded nature of a Vampire. They simply show zero emotional weight with the words spoken from their mouths.

Third, I couldn't miss an even bigger, red flag, it seems like the game's protagonist is locked to a female, which simply feels way off from something that I would build for a female character even if I played a female character in any other game with character creation. Let me not start on the part where I usually play male characters not female but I do get that sometimes games choose female protagonists, but seriously this female protagonist simply doesn't do it for me. She literally looks absolutely a boring mess. I feel zero connections to her and that is a huge letdown.

I had a bad feeling for this game from the beginning, I guess my bad feeling was proven correct and I can see that many other players who are fans of the first game feel the same.

RPG games, like Vampire: The Masquerade have always been a universe in which you can immerse yourself in a dark universe, and live your darkest nature, desires or otherwise and this game simply brings none of that up. The story seems to be interesting, that is the only plus I can see and some of the Tremere abilities seem to catch some bits of the first game, but other than that... nothing else really does it for me within this game. It completely breaks immersion due to character lock, a character to which I see no connection or even interest to connect, and being limited to 1st person is another huge letdown considering that I usually play a mage type of class and always in third-person even melee classes.

I will wait and see what else the game will show, but so far, it is a cosmic letdown.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So ...
Lots of comments i have seen lately about Bloodlines 2 were from people who believed that (and i quote) "they keep showing the same thing over and over, bcs there is nothing else to show ... what have you seen in Banu Haquim reveal is all that is done" ...

And you decided to fight this acusation by showing "a gameplay" where we go over the same scene we have seen ... followed by combat, then the same combat in the same scene, then the same combat in the same scene, then the same combat in the same scene, AND then the same combat in the same scene ...

I dont know whos idea it was to show this in particular, but it was not good pick. :-/

---
//Edit:
The rest was allready said ... so just in short:
- I feel actively repeled by Phyre ... not really sure why, but when protagonist have this effect, something is wrong.
- The only thing that is worse than character of Phyre, is "character" (and im only using that words bcs i dont know any other in english) of Phabian. -_-
- Combat feels quite dull ... keep seeing the same 3 animations over, and over, and over, and over ... is simply not appealing. :-/ Wich is really a HUGE problem, since it feels like that will be your main focus. :-/
- Again, the only thing that is even worse is dialogue ... i have no problem with narrow story, but if there is no difference in what do we pick, why even pretend there is a choice? Just make it whole one big uninterupted cutscene ... and if there is difference, if there is importance, if our choice matters ... why not show us? :-/

And that so called "QA" part was just embarasing ... if you wish to add some more context for us, please do ... just dont pretend its something else. -_-
You only add fuel to those people who mark you as liars.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
The vampire powers look and few better than I hoped, well done there.

Combat and stealth gameplay may actually be a strength here.

Several things stuck out though:

Enemy model variety is problematic. Generic enemy models look carbon copies of each other.

I seriously dislike when dialogue options are summarised. This together with the predefined protagonist makes it very hard for me to believe I am the player character. This is compounded by the main character having an accent I can't even place.

Based on the dialogue presented, I still have a hard time thinking Phyre is an elder. After reading so much VtM and VtR content, I have some expectations that Phyre simply fails to meet. Probably not a problem for those not tied to the PnP side of things.

I know that Bloodlines 1 also had combat feeding, and I'd prefer that feeding would be its own thing. It is so intrinsical to the setting... But at least in bloodlines 1 you were vulnerable while feeding, where it seems like it's a no-brainer here.

Oddly enough, this gameplay reveal kind flipped my good-bad expectations. Somehow TCR is nailing the combat but dropping the ball on the theme and narrative... As always, I hope I am wrong and the game is awesome, it's just hard to see the forest for the trees right now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Oooft, that's rough. The writing is hackneyed, the characters are obnoxious, the RPG elements are non-existent, and I don't care about the combat.

When a game feels compelled to point out bleedingly obvious things happening right in front of the player, this suggests a lack of trust in the audience. Which makes me fairly certain this will not be a game of immersive exploration, it will be a game of Quick Time Events, featuring an on-rails 'cinematic' experience. And quite a clichéd one, judging by the writing. This game doesn't get - or more likely, care - about the original Bloodlines. It's a generic action-adventure hack-n-slash.

Officially no longer interested.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Phyre seems alright, but this feels like an action game, and an action protagonist, dialogue, gameplay. There is nothing in this trailer that answers the gap left by the DD in, what is the game outside of combat? it just expands on the, this is a combat game wholly about combat, from the DDs. Even the dialogue sections of this, remind me of the dialogue cutscenes and choices in Mafia games, not in an RPG like Bloodlines/VtM.

Reactions:
Seemed fine to me.The problem is calling it Bloodlines 2 is like comparing it to a myth.

Sure I liked the first game a lot but it didn't have great combat or was the choice driven DeusEx levels the myth has become.It was a fairy linear game.

I also have to really wonder why you refused to use Rik Schaffer's work for Bloodlines 2 even though most of it was already done and ready to use. He is an amazing composer and his work participated a lot to create the unique atmosphere everyone loved about the first game. Seriously, why ?

• 1Like
Reactions:
QUESTION:
Am i the only one who feels like that light that comes trough windows at very start of that gameplay ... looks like sun?
I mean ... i know (presume/hope/believe) its not ... but it looks so warm ... i dunno, i cant help it, but i have hard time to believe this is how streetlights looklike. :D

Reactions:
I admit that I have the feeling that the rpg part doesn't seem as good as the first Bloodlines, dialogues option are a bit scant (at least in the no spoiler video). One thing I really dislike in games that are marketed as rpgs is how choices are not really impacting the game world beside a little cosmetic touch here and there.
I don't really care if Phyre or the other major characters doesn't look the next new thing in terms of 3d models (but please offer some more hairstyle choices, Phyre's one in the video looks really awful), but I hope the story part can actually channel the feeling of an "elder vampire" for the player, and offer at least the same freedom of choice in the narrative as the original Bloodlines in terms of role play.

Interesting video! Thanks for showing an in-depth look. A few comments I have.

1) I'm still not sold on Fabien. When we first heard about this character and how they would be a part of Phyre. I like the idea of the thin-blood giving commentary every once in a while. It reminds me of like Johnny Silverhand / V in Cyberpunk 2077, which did it well. However, there can be TOO much. If Fabien is there filling in dead air and not providing real substance, people are going to just find Fabien annoying and unnecessary. I just hope there will be definite times of silence and Fabien only chimes in when it pushes the story or gives Phyre something to think about.

2) Phyre seems fine. I do like the dialogue where you intimidated based on previous actions. It'll be interesting to see how the male version looks/feels in the same dialogue. I say this because games that do both male or female protagonist can have very different feels due to the voice actor, etc. (e.g., AC Odyssey/Valhalla).

3) I do hope the developer is looking at the success of Baldur's Gate 3 and how they did dialogue and decision-making. Obviously, this game is built differently and it won't have the same number of cut scenes or branching decisions. But they can take the style of leaving your dialogue choices open-ending in the sense that you are not told what will happen when you say something. I love the idea of unintended consequences when you say something wrong.

4) I agree with a poster above that this seems more like an action oriented game that might have some RPG elements, instead of a RPG with action elements. I found this very interesting especially since TCR is known for story and RPG elements. However, this may be too hard since we have barely skimmed the surface and they wanted to show an extended gameplay of the combat and how it fits with a mission.

5) Lastly, I think the combat looks pretty good, but there was one thing that I found too repetitive. While sneaking, you feed on someone and break their neck. The animation is nice, but it looks as though that's the only animation for a sneak-feed-attack from behind. I really hope there may be a couple different animations that play to really keep it interesting, especially if you play as a Banu Haqim. I saw different animations to feed while attacking from the front, so hopefully we will see multiple ones from the back too.

First of all, I will write about what I consider to be the strengths of the presented game concept. So, I consider the system that allows you to deny or confirm the legend, the role of the sheriff in Camerilla and the combat system as very strong points. It would be nice to have a block with an optional counter in combat and I would be completely happy, at least when it comes to fights.

What worries me is the linearity. The game looks very linear. It seems that you can only leave the location by completing it. Additionally, the game's objects seem very uninteractive. Apart from reading newspapers and occasionally throwing some garbage through telekinesis, the rest of the objects seem to be just background (I hope I'm wrong). In this context, it would be useful to have more information about what we can lift, move or destroy? What can we put in our equipment? Will something like this even work in the game? And of course, what worries me is the issue of interaction with Wilhelm. Of course, our task is to find him, but it seems that we cannot properly abuse him before he "screams" at us and puts us in the world of illusion. It would be good to add the option of an immediate unprovoked attack on another vampire, which in this case, for example, would allow us to completely skip the maze stage. Of course, if we had abused the poor guy too much, we wouldn't have learned anything because he would have died or the bomber would have dropped him off earlier. However, just predicting such a path would be a significant advantage of the game. Moreover, it is said that some vampires may laugh at our threats, but only a fool makes idle threats. Therefore, it is worth considering the possibility of forcing answers from vampires who do not want to cooperate with us.

The last aspect that interests me is the issue of choice. Will the player be able to ally with the Sabbat and at what stage of the game?
When will we see gameplay with the male character Pyre? Will Fabian be replaced by a woman if we play as a man? Will we be able to start a romance in the game? And will we be able to finally take over the manor?

• 1Like
Reactions: