• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #113 - Wonderful Views

Hello!

It was really great reading all your comments and questions last week, lots of fun ideas. This week we will be looking a bit more in depth at the wonder view. Which you can see below.

The wonder view. Please note that art is Work in progress and may change!

Firstly, we have the name of the wonder. This will change dynamically based on where it is built, and what upgrades it has. For example you might build ‘The Cathedral of Stockholm’. Then, after building the Spikes upgrade, this may become ‘The Bloody Cathedral of Stockholm’. We also have a dynamic description that works just like the naming system, but more detailed.

There is also an image of the wonder, which is dynamic to an extent as well. The background depends on where you are in the world (Desert, Jungle, Snow etc) and the depiction of the wonder changes depending on the stage, going from being in construction to highly decorated or even in ruins.

nrmRkFJujCn4kn5F0W4DjlrOjHnrc4jvyY1SIKvJgBMw2_G4yPM0yRqLY8Fqy92sVhRRDwX4HolaHDiDV9YdSu2D2zpTIFPGTWj58aBeyS2EbHnPwsdcMQXf99N6qLy0_4aR8Xx6

Now, below this we have the modifier box, where you can find all the modifiers provided by the wonder. Some of these are granted by the wonder itself and some are granted by upgrades, but they are all listed here. These modifiers can either affect the top liege, or the province the wonder is in.

_NWlleCJZY3aL1Bmd8CVbi-3wJDZwDMomiSET_h0Z7llUZzJkZVapt0dqad4zVR2sy0U6lYjYk6qna5cbBUHQSuLnk83XoM_EVFaZ8i7OPnTwSHHzpEFmNUQpo-cKtCYpZqmrx6-

Below this we have the progress bar, which will show your progress when upgrading to a new stage of your wonder.

Lastly, we have the upgrade view which is split into two tabs, completed, and available. In the ‘completed’ tab you can see a breakdown of the upgrades you have built and their effects, and in the ‘available’ tab you can see all the upgrades you are able to build.

let us know, your questions and comments and we will do our best to answer them!

Also as a note, a lot of people have predicted that the ancient Egyptian Religion will be making a return. I can confirm that the Egyptian Religion will NOT be in this upcoming patch. That doesn’t mean we are against it in the future though….

Reactions:
I'm more excited about the moddability potential than anything else. The White-Gold Tower in Elder Kings, the Red Keep in AGoT, the... whatever there is in Warhammer: Gehemmisnacht, the sky's the limit!

Will it be possible to mod in multiple wonders for a single, as well as ways for wonders to have a 'ruined' state (either at game start or by event)? I'm pretty sure it would be torturous to force the A Game of Thrones devs to choose between depicting the Great Sept of Baelor, the Dragon Pit, and the Red Keep as wonders for King's Landing.

Looking at the screenshots a bit more closely it seems the wonders give you 0.01 monthly prestige per level. That seems rather low, given the investment. Especially if you compare how the Proud trait gives 0.5 prestige per month (50x as much).

Perhaps this is a time to nerf the proud traits affect on prestige whilst at the same time slightly increasing the prestige bonus effects of the wonders..?

Tuscany,if there is a council,why not a playable republic! no matter it's a DLC or not, im wishing there is a playable republic! I have few ideas
-a Lowborn family(not noble family)
-similar to merchant republic,elective is the way to choose ruler,which is 4-6 yrs once(depends on the laws)
-the council with 40-100 people ( laws depending how many,40,50,55,65,80,90,95,100 are the adjustable number) ! If there is a 6 men council there shall be another one like modern House of Commons of the United Kingdom or United States Congress
-woman can rule and can be council member
-title name difference duchy --> state(vessel) / republic(independent) ,kingdom --> United Nation of (name) / or Grand Republic of(name) which again,depends on laws

Will we be able to change the name of the wonders directly when building them?
As soon as you start constructing a wonder, the view in the OP will open and you will be able to change the name from there.

What happens if I conquer a wonder that's tied to another Religion? Will I be able to destroy it or (even better) refurbish it to serve my character's religion?
Like for example, the Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque after the Fall of Constantinople, will I be able to do things like that to cathedral/temple/mosque type wonders?

What happens if I conquer a wonder that's tied to another Religion? Will I be able to destroy it or (even better) refurbish it to serve my character's religion?
Like for example, the Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque after the Fall of Constantinople, will I be able to do things like that to cathedral/temple/mosque type wonders?
In the current state they will just be unusable by you (defined by script, so it's adaptable), but both tearing down existing wonders and refurbishing them to fit your own religion are feature we would like to add if there is time.

One of the reasons I keep returning to the ERE is just the sheer weight of history and culture it's got attached to it but I think these wonders will help give other places the same vibe in a tangible way, like it's one thing to turn the British Isles into an empire with greater wealth and manpower than the ERE but they still have the walls and the Hagia Sophia so being able to address that in such a tangible way a nice touch. It'll also tie in nicely with the bloodlines, even without explicit synergy, imagine starting a philosopher bloodline and now you can put your money where your mouth is and build a grand university too.

Also I understand the AI shouldn't be able to do this casually or there'd be wonders everywhere but I hope it's something they will actually undertake once in a while. I never see them founding bloodlines that aren't entirely incidental for example, like sainthood or the second coming of Alexander. Occasionally a warrior bloodline.

In the current state they will just be unusable by you (defined by script, so it's adaptable), but both tearing down existing wonders and refurbishing them to fit your own religion are feature we would like to add if there is time.

If you don't get it done in time is there still a chance it gets delivered in a later patch? Because it would be very frustrating, and ahistorical, to just have a giant building (or even holding) in your province that you cannot get any use of...

If you don't get it done in time is there still a chance it gets delivered in a later patch? Because it would be very frustrating, and ahistorical, to just have a giant building (or even holding) in your province that you cannot get any use of...
I agree with you and I think it would be possible to add it in a later patch. But I also only know our future plans on a larger scale and not the details, so don't quote me on that!

Nice write up; I'm not a content designer but I will show it to them :)
I do think that it might be the case that the modifiers and their values were just added to show off how we display modifiers though.
Remember that a lot of things (especially values) in the images are WIP.

I would suggest modifers what gives you a % of your total prestige and piety, like 5-20% instead of flat one

i Think Wonder upgrades should also have prestige and piety requirements and some upgrades should have choices, like build altar, chooce material: wood, stone, granite, marble, gold and it gives different cost and effects

Another idea, Roman infrastructure wonders. Many of these could be scattered around the places where they were still in use, roads, aqueducts, sewers, and baths. Rulers with the rulership or business focus could study them and try to emulate the Romans. Also, stewardship focused Christians who go on a pilgrimage to Rome could be inspired to try building their own as well.