• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This Development Diary, the last one before the release of The Old Gods, will elaborate a bit on the new technology system we are introducing to the game. We are including it for free in a patch, so you'll be able to make use of it even if you don't own TOG.

The original technology system in CK2 was not very rewarding or interactive, and thus the majority of people mostly or completely ignored it.

So since for The Old Gods we would need 200 more years of technological development we figured instead of trying to shoehorn that into the old system we could just as well throw most of it out and build something more interesting from the ground up.

View attachment CKII_ToG_DD_07_Technology_Spread.jpg

Now all rulers of duke rank and above generate technology points in three categories based on their stats: martial gives military, stewardship gives economic and diplomacy gives cultural technology points. The ruler can then spend these to increase the technologies of their choosing in their capital. In addition to the stats, combat gives military points, universities give economy points and religious schools cultural points.

This means however that technology will only grow in the capitals of dukes and above, and for the rest of the world it will spread as usual.

View attachment CKII_ToG_DD_07_Steppe_Buildings.jpg

The Old Gods and its accompanying patch has a few new buildings as well. Any holding by the coast can now build shipyards that produce galleys.

The horse lords of the Altaic and Magyar peoples will also have access to two special buildings in any castles they own in a Steppe province. This is a new terrain type that now covers most of the Eastern European plains. The Steppe Warrior Lodge and the Steppe Riding Grounds will take the place of the normal Barracks and Stables buildings in these holdings. They provide more cavalry at the expense of foot soldiers, to better reflect the tradition of mounted warfare the steppe cultures had mastered.

View attachment CKII_ToG_DD_07_Amalfi.jpg

There are two merchant republics active at the start of the new 867 bookmark. The first is Venice, which should be familiar to most of you, and the second is Amalfi, a growing trading hub on the western shores of Southern Italy ruled by a collection of Greek and Italian Patrician families. As you can see from the screenshot, we have added a new province for this republic. It has an interesting if somewhat challenging starting position, given its close proximity to the Karling realms of Western Europe, the Byzantine Empire which still maintains a tenuous hold on the southern tip of Italy, and the Muslim lords using Sicily as a springboard from which to carry their conquests further into Europe.

That should cover most of it. The rest you will have to see for yourselves when The Old Gods is released on May 28th! :)

Bonus: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Video Dev Diary 3 - Technology
[video=youtube;QngSrHke4u8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QngSrHke4u8[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QngSrHke4u8

Last edited by a moderator:
The situation in Genoa in 867 is likely similar to Ancona in 1066. Both are two-county duchies so with a coastal grand mayor they will often become a republic. The only games where I *haven't* seen Ancona from 1066 have been those where HRE has revoked the county after a rebellion before the republic could form.

But now we need 51 % of a duchy to form it. So in a two province duchy you need two provinces to form them.

Why Amalfi not playable in 1066? While it was in decline it still dragged on for 20 or so years. You have added the province and the title, so...why?

For the same reason that byzantines don't control parts of Apulia, probably: it would complicate things and turn southern Italy into a mess.

How does that improve the situation then? The bottom line is we need more republics, in 867. Period.

Why exactly? Courtesy of the TP limit, they won't be splitting the map between them, and its not as if the only thing stopping a republic is another republic.

Why exactly? Courtesy of the TP limit, they won't be splitting the map between them, and its not as if the only thing stopping a republic is another republic.

Yeah. It would have been an issue before the introduction of the TP limit, but now not so much. Just take a look at Gotland's evolution at the 1066, when they have no competition in the north sea. Before the patch they used to have a trade post in each coastal province in northern Europe. Now it's very different.

Hmmmm, Riding Grounds, is that something i put in my mod first! as well as a pillaging system and individual names for muslim buildings :)

I'm assuming that since we are talking about more republics being in existence, the crashes associated with republics are being fixed.

I guess so.

That should be mentioned in the patch log thread coming along with the DLC.

To four pages and no one complaining about the lack of Slavic paganism information in this dev diary? I'm honestly shocked.

Though honestly, I expected a little rundown of "everything else" at the end of this one. While it's no deal breaker, I hope there's more flavor out there that hasn't been revealed for all of the pagans, the non-Norse in particular (but they're still awesome and I wonder if there's more to em' not mentioned yet).

So, my good PI Devs... anything else you can tell us about Slavic pagans, Romuva, Suomenusko, Tengri (guess they get the awesome Steppe buildings!), or (if they haven't been cut) West African pagans?

To four pages and no one complaining about the lack of Slavic paganism information in this dev diary? I'm honestly shocked.

Though honestly, I expected a little rundown of "everything else" at the end of this one. While it's no deal breaker, I hope there's more flavor out there that hasn't been revealed for all of the pagans, the non-Norse in particular (but they're still awesome and I wonder if there's more to em' not mentioned yet).

So, my good PI Devs... anything else you can tell us about Slavic pagans, Romuva, Suomenusko, Tengri (guess they get the awesome Steppe buildings!), or (if they haven't been cut) West African pagans?
that's probably because the dev diary has nothing to do with slavic paganism for any matter. the dev diary was primarily about the new tech system, and the info about steppes were simply thrown in as a bonus.

This is really promising. Technological advance was indeed a weak point in CKII up until now.

Aye, don't let me proddings about pagans take away from that: the new tech system looks like a wonderful change.

Honestly, I'm sad that on June 2nd I'm leaving for six weeks to go dig for fossils out in the boonies of West Texas. No CKII for me for over a month, only a few days after TOG comes out... :-(

that's probably because the dev diary has nothing to do with slavic paganism for any matter. the dev diary was primarily about the new tech system, and the info about steppes were simply thrown in as a bonus.

And? Is there some rule that prevents them from throwing in little bonuses for pagans that aren't Tengri? :rolleyes:

I'm a little confused....

So do we still have influence by advisors on reasearch as before with the state values ?

Though i have to admit reading the Ck2Wiki on research and comparing that to what i believed to know and what the toopltips say, i might as well still don't fully know how it works up till now.

I'm a little confused....

So do we still have influence by advisors on reasearch as before with the state values ?

Though i have to admit reading the Ck2Wiki on research and comparing that to what i believed to know and what the toopltips say, i might as well still don't fully know how it works up till now.

the advisors still affect tech at the very least, since it seems state attributes (ruler + advisor + 1/2 spouse) are what determines technology points earned
though how they affect them with jobs now is something I didn't exactly understand though :laugh:
(I mean, it was mentioned you could use councilors as a "highway" for tech, but... how exactly? previously the simply lowered mtth for a new tech thus increased chance for a level up along with two random events. now...)

And? Is there some rule that prevents them from throwing in little bonuses for pagans that aren't Tengri? :rolleyes:
well, you were asking why no one was asking about non-Tengri faiths, and I simply said that it's simply slightly off-topic for this thread :p