• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Folks, the Bengal tiger has been out of the bag for a week now, so I think it's time for the first dev diary on Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India! In this first entry, I will just give you a quick overview of what this new expansion to Crusader Kings II is and what it is not. In the weeks to come, I will cover each feature in detail.

First of all, why India? Well, it's always been a long-term goal of mine, and we have gone through the obvious stuff by now. The old eastern edge of the map is suboptimal, both politically and geographically. Many powerful states that interacted with Europe are cut in half, not to mention that the southeastern corner of the map is unhistorically dull. In general, adding India will make the whole Middle East more interesting to play. Most importantly though, India is such a dynamic and fascinating region!

ck2_RoI_dd_01_The_New_East.png

Now, there has been some speculation about how the map will be handled exactly, and the answer is simply that we are extending it far to the east. It's not a separate map or anything like that. This means that everyone who owns the game will be able to interact with, (and conquer!) India, whether they own Rajas of India or not.

In order to extend the map and try keep the wasteland areas to a minimum while at the same time making sure India was big enough, we had to twist the entire eastern part of the old map. While the new map projection is no more realistic per se, we did seize this opportunity to correct some fairly major problems with the old map, especially around the Caspian and Aral seas. The addition of all this new territory also meant we could finally put many provinces in their correct place (we had tended to crowd the eastern edge of the old map with provinces that were actually off map, due to their importance.) Apart from all the new Indian provinces, we have also added provinces in central Siberia, Transoxania and Afghanistan. So far, I think we're at about 330 new provinces, bringing the total count up to 1442 (including all sea zones), and it's likely we'll add some more before we're done.

ck2_RoI_dd_01_Corrected_Caspian.png ck2_RoI_dd_01_Siberia.png

Best of all, none of this will cost you a dime. However, if you wish to play as a Hindu, Buddhist or Jain ruler - with all the associated mechanics, graphics and events - you will have to buy the expansion. You really don't want to miss out on things like reincarnation, holy cows, levitating monks, Thuggees and tiger hunts! Oh, and there will be a unique set of Indian portraits included in Rajas of India.

Can the game really handle all these new characters and provinces without slowing to a crawl? Yes. Actually, memory usage was the bigger issue, but we've comfortably reduced that by more than 300Mb, which allows us to add all the extra characters. We've also optimized the game for speed, but it might end up running a bit slower than before (though it should only be noticeable on speed 5 unless you have an ancient rig.) I should also mention that due to the drastic changes we are making to the game, old save games will not remain compatible with version 2.1! However, version 2.0.4 will remain available as a beta branch on Steam.

That's all for today folks! Peace.

ck2_RoI_dd_01_Indus.png

[video=youtube;TBQmY4TKUrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQmY4TKUrc[/video]

Last edited:
They look independent from the 867 startdate judging from the first map. Although they may be quickly KO'd and in later dates will definitely be part of Yemen. To be honest it will most likely be run by an Islamic ruler anyways.

With the 50% morale nerf coming off of ships, it's entirely possible to survive even a determined invasion, especially if you have the cash for mercs to hire whenever you're DOW'd. Might be a pretty good place to start, especially if it's not utterly destitute (like the Canaries or the islands in the North Atlantic).

So just when they finally optimized/improved the memory for the game, they add a new memory drain? Is there anyway to get the memory optimization without all the new stuff~?

Y'know, it occurs to me that Socotra, and whatever other new east African states they add will be a fantastic opportunity for Christian characters in the area to find proper wives, rather than constantly marry lowborns or order European mail order brides (which might not be possible now, with the diplomatic range).

It's not really possible to ensure that Orientalist perspectives aren't inserted into India, just as much as we can't ensure that Vikings aren't stereotyped as a crazy axe wielding devotees of Thor with horns on their helmet. As a game that is intended to be enjoyable, it's natural that Paradox will insert a mixture of realistic brahmic concepts and unrealistic charicature in an attempt to make Hindu, Buddhist and Jain rulers unique.

Is it really impossible to create a game that's both enjoyable and realistic?

And honestly, if levitating monks isn't unrecognisably absurd to you, I don't know what is.

And honestly, if levitating monks isn't unrecognisably absurd to you, I don't know what is.

But we must see how they put the levitating monks in. We should wait how they handle this. Chuthulu also sounds unrecognisably absurd... But the event wasn't that bad and unrealistic with certain points. Eventually it's for possessed Buddhists? :D

And yet you still get folk tales of just that from India and Tibet today...

Heck, rumors "There's this monk who can levitate over the hill of the next village!" - For all we know that's how it will be handled. Visit, gain some trait bonus. Hurrah!

Oh it's real. 1:10

[video=youtube;438UKM1Av1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438UKM1Av1g[/video]

More land to belong to mighty Rom- I mean... I won't be conquering India with Rome! That would be silly! (It's not like I've done 3-4 world conquests with the Roman Empire since the legacy of Rome and one prior to legacy of Rome or anything.)

I'm more sorely missing the Tarim Basin compared to Tibet, because even though the Chinese ruled both in the period, the Tarim Basin is effectively the most remote outpost of Indo-European civilisation, represented by the Tocharians, and was just about to be Turkified (by the Kyrgyz and Uighurs) in 867. The Tarim Basin was an extremely relevant place to all the Altaic tribes that are already knocking around in the game.

Yeah, it's a shame, I would loved to have seen it included too.

Y'know, it occurs to me that Socotra, and whatever other new east African states they add will be a fantastic opportunity for Christian characters in the area to find proper wives, rather than constantly marry lowborns or order European mail order brides (which might not be possible now, with the diplomatic range).

I didn't think there would be any new East African states, the map doesn't look different unfortunately. As for Socotra, I suspect a muslim ruler for all start dates. A man can dream though, a man can dream...

I didn't think there would be any new East African states, the map doesn't look different unfortunately. As for Socotra, I suspect a muslim ruler for all start dates. A man can dream though, a man can dream...

They already confirmed that they rework East Asia and add a Nubian culture. And that there is a Jewish Kingdom in East Africa. Beta Israel is confirmed... And i'm sure we will see other Ethiopian states. And eventually the Nubian kingdoms and not just the one.

They already confirmed that they rework East Asia and add a Nubian culture. And that there is a Jewish Kingdom in East Africa. Beta Israel is confirmed... And i'm sure we will see other Ethiopian states. And eventually the Nubian kingdoms and not just the one.

Sweet.

I have just one wish for any expansion or future patch in terms of features really. Something that's a really really long time overdue. Hotkeys and tooltips for them. If you actually sit down and play a playthrough of several hours, or just any amount of time with any naval raiders you quickly feel the pain, strain and overwhelming burden of organising armies in war and handing out titles afterwards. Customizable through the menu would be great as well. And I'm aware of Arumba's mod, but it's not an integral and easily configurable part of the game, and is incompatible with most interface mods. I'd even pay to have it in the game - it's simply not doable to keep on playing once you reach a certain size as it is now.

They already confirmed that they rework East Asia...

East Asia? Thats China and the whole corner. Do you mean South Asia (India), or does a dream come true? :D

Totally unrelated question: Are the 867 Abbasids gonna be nerfed some more? I'm really getting sick of seeing them coming out on top within a few decades, no matter where I'm starting.